Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Media reaction with no facts - Carlow Secondary School

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭Treppen

CarProblem wrote: »
    Pity the boards thread at the time was deleted, the hysteria on it was sickening as was the abuse hurled at posters (myself included) for merely saying "wait for more details"

At least action was taken to avoid further pile-ons , Newstalk still carry the original article !!! https://www.newstalk.com/news/students-at-carlow-school-told-wearing-tight-clothing-during-pe-1111111

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭rightmove

CarProblem wrote: »
    Pity the boards thread at the time was deleted, the hysteria on it was sickening as was the abuse hurled at posters (myself included) for merely saying "wait for more details"

fools rush in ...eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭tritium

PhoneMain wrote: »
    Seems to be gone already

Hilarious over there, they seem to have removed the comment but anyone can see theres more comments now than they’re willing to show- so someone has posted a nice explanation of why in the comments.

Looks pretty bad for them alongside their comments policy of allowing free comment once it’s not defamatory etc tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭PhoneMain

This is actually taking the piss........

https://twitter.com/AodhanORiordain/status/1407425554987552769

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Not at all, in the rush to get news first due diligence is out the window.

Almost all major news outlets are about the clicks first and the story second. This is why so many of them spend so long catering to the 2 percent of the country who are over active Twitter users

And besides exercising critical thinking and not blindly accepting what we are told is a good thing
    Seriously?

There is almost no analysis in the media, the media reports press releases from x, y and z without scrutiny , just check the corresponding press release, it's sometimes word for word. It's also sometimes word for word among multiple mainstream media outlets.

I suppose to quantify my comments, it seems that to say
    it is wise to distrust the mainstream media
    isn't too far of a leap away from the trumpism crack pots, the gemmaroids and their ilk who scream and shout about how mainstream media is fake, and fake news and so on.

I know one person who has completely fallen off the radar of common sense. They're an anti vaxxer and believe that all mainstream media news is fake and they're deliberately lying to us as part of a global conspiracy, that they know what's happening and we don't, they know what we don't, that we're all being lied to etc.........

I'm not saying that we should always buy every word that the media spouts, because they are invested in clickbaitery. However, there is a fine line between using ones common sense to say that something smells fishy rather than concluding whatever article you read is lies before you pass the headline.

I'm a nobody, just your average person on the street and when I read this article originally it smelled off to me. For a start I couldn't reasonably accept that male teachers would willingly come out and say to pupils that their clothes are too revealing and are distracting - or whatever the term used was. It'd be a scandal just like the fake one we're discussing.

Then again, if everyone had a modicum of common sense and applied it, none of this would have happened really.

I crossed out the fake bit, because it's now a scandal for other reasons, not the original intent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

Remember when you were in school about a third of your class were utterly braindead? Those people are woke now. Morons who can't think using virtue signalling to make up for their lack of thinking ability.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭archfi

PhoneMain wrote: »

The absolute neck of that %^&*()*&^

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

He more than likely won't respond unless it becomes an issue that could damage the party or his seat.

Calhoun wrote: »
    He more than likely won't respond unless it becomes an issue that could damage the party or his seat.

It’s a standard political approach to hope it’ll blow over unless there’s a lot of heat, which on issues like this a lot of the media won’t provide. Only way it becomes an issue is if lots of people keep it in the public eye and they media has to turn on him and maybe a few others as the scapegoat.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,184 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

tritium wrote: »
    It’s a standard political approach to hope it’ll blow over unless there’s a lot of heat, which on issues like this a lot of the media won’t provide. Only way it becomes an issue is if lots of people keep it in the public eye and they media has to turn on him and maybe a few others as the scapegoat.

The one’s who are generally loud mouthed about things are quiet this time around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭CarProblem

I'm sure there's others but off the top of my head Aodhan has jumped the gun on a number of things now

- Belfast trial of rugby players
    - shooting in Blanch
    - Carlow school

He was made a show of one evening on twitter virtue signalling over the makeup of a panel on Virgin media

He is first to jump on anything that gives rise to virtue signalling opportunities

Give up and pack your bags, maybe bring Hazel Chu, Paul Murphy, Ruth Coppinger and others with you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭MoonUnit75

Yes. All the virtue signallers know that their followers don't actually want to hear that it was false or see an apology. If they ride it out their loyalty to the ideology might even be rewarded.

MoonUnit75 wrote: »
    Yes. All the virtue signallers know that their followers don't actually want to hear that it was false or see an apology. If they ride it out their loyalty to the ideology might even be rewarded.

It’s also possible his lawyer has basically told him to STFU pending any defamation case. Wouldn’t necessarily be a bad thing if this stuff was to come home to roost finally for Aodhan. Telling that the Labour Party website has removed the article (no comments though, they’re brass necking it out)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,197 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

If all those don't apologise, then there twitter should be bombarded when they start there virtue signalling.
    How has Sinead Carroll/The Journal any credibility after this.

tritium wrote: »
    MoonUnit75 wrote: »

Recent opinion polls have them flat on 3%, like it or not there is a bit of an opposition/lack of patience building with stuff like this.

The mood has definitely shifted so to speak and id say he is being very careful as he doesn't want to do the party much damage.

If all those don't apologise, then there twitter should be bombarded when they start there virtue signalling.

I think you misunderstand what twitter is, its a closed circle/echo chamber. Allot of the commentators on it can just ignore and band people who go to them. The only ones who have apologized are those whos own business/financial well being could be damaged by it.

For the most part they won't care and will think that the ends justify the means.

That's why the only resolution is through a legal action. Not easy to say what you want when you could be bankrupt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

Have any radio programmes covered this at all?

Even to announce the findings of the Press Council?

This whole mess has really p!ssed me off, from Gavan Reilly’s weasel “apology” to posters here saying that there’s no smoke without fire.

And as for that band of twitter legends….they are some bunch of hypocrites and cowards, the lot of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭archfi

Have any radio programmes covered this at all?

Even to announce the findings of the Press Council?

This whole mess has really p!ssed me off, from Gavan Reilly’s weasel “apology” to posters here saying that there’s no smoke without fire.

And as for that band of twitter legends….they are some bunch of hypocrites and cowards, the lot of them.

It boiled my piss from the off last November.

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭Warbeastrior

OMM 0000 wrote:
    Remember when you were in school about a third of your class were utterly braindead? Those people are woke now. Morons who can't think using virtue signalling to make up for their lack of thinking ability.

This.
    Its easy to look at a comment online and presume the person has a good level of education.
    It takes a lot of the frustration out of seeing idiotic opinions when you realise that most of the time they are idiots saying them. The type who you would laugh off if they said it to you in person.

This.
    Its easy to look at a comment online and presume the person has a good level of education.
    It takes a lot of the frustration out of seeing idiotic opinions when you realise that most of the time they are idiots saying them. The type who you would laugh off if they said it to you in person.

Unfortunately that doesnt come across in 160 character tweets so theres loads of idiots who would be ignored in reality.

I know someone who is an absolute dose in person, the type that youd actively avoid if you saw them and most would think like that. But they're occasionally funny on Twitter (and very woke) so they've built up quite a strong SM presence

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭newhouse87

I think you misunderstand what twitter is, its a closed circle/echo chamber. Allot of the commentators on it can just ignore and band people who go to them. The only ones who have apologized are those whos own business/financial well being could be damaged by it.

For the most part they won't care and will think that the ends justify the means.

That's why the only resolution is through a legal action. Not easy to say what you want when you could be bankrupt.

Coppinger has replies turned off on her twitter on some matters anyway if not all.

Might write a letter to aul Aodhan asking why he’s so quiet on this - does a TD need to be your local TD in order to expect a response?

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

Might write a letter to aul Aodhan asking why he’s so quiet on this - does a TD need to be your local TD in order to expect a response?

The moron is probably anxious that he'll get another legal writ posted to him.
    Better for him to keep his big trap shut.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Because they didnt have any in the first place.

There's an Elaine Byrne on Twitter who is a barrister and writes for the Business Post who's giving them hassle and asking the likes of Chu & AOR and some fellow journalists for their thoughts on the Press Council Report. Unsurprisingly most are keeping silent but Coppinger responded. It's great to see someone not letting them off easy. Byrne was tweeting in November that she had screenshots saved so she obv knew the inside story!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

It is absolutely worth reading the thread and responses from Ruth Coppinger. She is doubling down on her original comments.

https://twitter.com/ElaineByrne/status/1407781384685506561

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Tabnabs wrote: »
    It is absolutely worth reading the thread and responses from Ruth Coppinger. She is doubling down on her original comments.

https://twitter.com/ElaineByrne/status/1407781384685506561

She really is an odious woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

I'm long since blocked by Coppinger, sadly.

keano_afc wrote: »
    I'm long since blocked by Coppinger, sadly.

It’s seems to be common behaviour in those who don’t like dissent from the one truth they espouse ……

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Whenever I hear a story, good or bad in either the mainstream media or the social media these days I just thing to myself. "I wonder what the real story is, because i dont trust any of these to give it to me".
    Sad, but thats what its come to.

Advertisement