Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Media reaction with no facts - Carlow Secondary School

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

JimmyVik wrote: »
    Whenever I hear a story, good or bad in either the mainstream media or the social media these days I just thing to myself. "I wonder what the real story is, because i dont trust any of these to give it to me".
    Sad, but thats what its come to.

there is a good rule of thumb, if it seems like a little bit too on the nose, then maybe withhold judgement

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭archfi

Tabnabs wrote: »
    It is absolutely worth reading the thread and responses from Ruth Coppinger. She is doubling down on her original comments.

https://twitter.com/ElaineByrne/status/1407781384685506561

An absolute cretin.
    A dangerous one at that.
    The ignorance of the righteous never astounds me.

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭tritium

archfi wrote: »
    An absolute cretin.
    A dangerous one at that.
    The ignorance of the righteous never astounds me.

Ruth: “… well I heard a report on the radio…..”

Yes, as part of the same pile on that you contributed to! All feeding off the same non -story

Jesus and people actually voted for her

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

newhouse87 wrote: »
    Coppinger has replies turned off on her twitter on some matters anyway if not all.

Its understandable because while i do think that twitter is an echo chamber and just re-enforces certain opinions, particularly why allot of these folk thought they could say this unchallenged there is a top tier of blueticks in Ireland who all would intermingle on the regular.

At the same time some of the comments are horrendous.

The trick and society is starting to get better at this is to ignore the twitter bubble.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Looks to me on her profile a bit like an embittered Nicole Kidman; which is saying something but I get the impression a veryy headstrong lady determined to leave an impact on this life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Corby Trouser Press

If all those don't apologise, then there twitter should be bombarded when they start there virtue signalling.
    How has Sinead Carroll/The Journal any credibility after this.

They are the greatest source of misinformation in Ireland at the moment.

They are basically an activist collective masquerading as a news outlet.

Everything is covered through an ideological lens while they somehow manage to maintain a veneer of impartiality.

A truly despicable entity.

Tabnabs wrote: »
    It is absolutely worth reading the thread and responses from Ruth Coppinger. She is doubling down on her original comments.

https://twitter.com/ElaineByrne/status/1407781384685506561

Looks like Elaine Byrne is really getting her teeth into this one. She’s an article in the business post today and still fighting the good fight on Twitter. Admirable

• Registered Users Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭Treppen

Brenda Power calling them out too. Wouldn't normally be a fan of BP but she hit the nail right on the head

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

Aodan O Riordan, Labour education spokesman, really covered himself in glory on this one

• Registered Users Posts: 4,521 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

tritium wrote: »
    Looks like Elaine Byrne is really getting her teeth into this one. She’s an article in the business post today and still fighting the good fight on Twitter. Admirable

I think she is from Carlow so maybe she has skin in the game here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

I think she is from Carlow so maybe she has skin in the game here.

People going on the rampage now are no better than the original lot.

Looking after themselves.

limnam wrote: »
    People going on the rampage now are no better than the original lot.

Looking after themselves.

By that argument we never hold anyone to account. Hell of a difference between joining a lynch mob for a made up story and holding the people on that lynch mob accountable for what they did to innocent people.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭PhoneMain

By that argument we never hold anyone to account. Hell of a difference between joining a lynch mob for a made up story and holding the people on that lynch mob accountable for what they did to innocent people.

Some of the lynch mobs were calling for the Guards to get involved. All Elaine Byrne is calling for is apologies! Big difference!

Sure,

If the goal is to hold people accountable for X.

Mostly it's people wanting to be seen on twitter and could well be part of the next twitter lynch mob that's due in I don't know 30 seconds.

They're pretty much all the same to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,185 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Sure,

Mostly it's people wanting to be seen on twitter and could well be part of the next twitter lynch mob that's due in I don't know 30 seconds.

So, if you were a teacher or knew one that you cared about in the Carlow school you'd be happy with the response from people like Hazel, O'Riordáin, etc and be happy just to leave it go?

So, if you were a teacher or knew one that you cared about in the Carlow school you'd be happy with the response from people like Hazel, O'Riordáin, etc and be happy just to leave it go?

I don't get involved in twitter lynch mobs one way or another.

If genuine people want to voice their concern on topic X. I've no issue with that.

What I'm saying is on both sides of these types of arguments you tend to have people that are only interested in self promotion and could have easily been on either side of this issue.

The loudest voices on these types of incidents tend to be serial twitter mouth pieces.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I live in Co. Carlow . The vilification that all of the male staff in that school was frightening . No wonder there are so few men going into teaching.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,185 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I live in Co. Carlow . The vilification that all of the male staff in that school was frightening . No wonder there are so few men going into teaching.

Was it a bunch of Karen's or gossipy parents at wall or what started it?
    If you don't mind me asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭CageWager

Was it a bunch of Karen's or gossipy parents at wall or what started it?
    If you don't mind me asking.

It was a classic case of Chinese whispers. Female students were reminded that they must wear the proper uniform to PE (as opposed to the latest trendy yoga gear) and the hassle of constantly reminding students of their obligation to wear the proper uniform was becoming a distraction to normal class activities.

One kid took the word “distracted” in the wrong context and somehow it become “the male teachers are distracted by our tight clothing in PE”. Parents get on the mommy whatsapp group, people overreact, the story grows legs and a local newspaper is contacted.

The scary part of this whole story is the frictionless journey from wild rumour to stated fact in national newspaper outlets/platforms and repeated by some major political figures without a shred of due diligence or factchecking.

Sure,

So you think someone looking for people to acknowledge the findings of a report is the same as someone cancelling and spreading rumours publicly and then trying to stay quiet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Was there anything in the mainstream media that covered this over the weekend. That people in public office, media editors, journalists, a mayor etc. had not apologised for their scurrilous accusations. What is truth anymore.

This is one of the reasons I stopped listening to mainstream news, because they have their own version of the news that they wish to portray whether its fully accurate or not doesn't matter.

Was there anything in the mainstream media that covered this over the weekend. That people in public office, media editors, journalists, a mayor etc. had not apologised for their scurrilous accusations. What is truth anymore.

This is one of the reasons I stopped listening to mainstream news, because they have their own version of the news that they wish to portray whether its fully accurate or not doesn't matter.

I think both the Sunday Times and Business post had pieces on it. Everyone else, like for example the usually so opinionated Irish Times, seems to to be wandering around looking at their own shoes and pretending there’s nothing to see here.

Treppen wrote: »
    So you think someone looking for people to acknowledge the findings of a report is the same as someone cancelling and spreading rumours publicly and then trying to stay quiet?

I think loud mouths on twitter only interested in self promotion are the same regardless of what side of any given argument they land on yes.

You can keep trying to bend that anyway you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭Warbeastrior

limnam wrote:
    I think loud mouths on twitter only interested in self promotion are the same regardless of what side of any given argument they land on yes.

Ah come on. The self promoting loud mouths are a pain in the hole yes but ya cant compare them to people that were attacking individuals without any facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

CageWager wrote: »
    It was a classic case of Chinese whispers. Female students were reminded that they must wear the proper uniform to PE (as opposed to the latest trendy yoga gear) and the hassle of constantly reminding students of their obligation to wear the proper uniform was becoming a distraction to normal class activities.

One kid took the word “distracted” in the wrong context and somehow it become “the male teachers are distracted by our tight clothing in PE”. Parents get on the mommy whatsapp group, people overreact, the story grows legs and a local newspaper is contacted.

The scary part of this whole story is the frictionless journey from wild rumour to stated fact in national newspaper outlets/platforms and repeated by some major political figures without a shred of due diligence or factchecking.

absolutely got it in a nutshell. Schools are constantly reminding students to wear the proper gear to PE, because students insist on turning up in the wrong/unsuitable gear and take a huff when they are told that the gear is unsuitable. Schools dont want to be sued by the Karens of this world so they have to defend themselves in advance,by telling students to dress appropriately. Same applies to woodwork class as it does to PE. Wear the correct clothing. It's simple but some tool blew it all out of proportion and a media fatwa was imposed on the innocent.

You can keep trying to bend that anyway you like.

Do you think all of this just exists on Twitter?

Treppen wrote: »
    Do you think all of this just exists on Twitter?

I'm referring to the twitter aspect of it.

There's loudmouths who are only interested in self promotion everywhere not just twitter.

Not sure how it's related though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭cajonlardo

I think both the Sunday Times and Business post had pieces on it. Everyone else, like for example the usually so opinionated Irish Times, seems to to be wandering around looking at their own shoes and pretending there’s nothing to see here.

Irish Times were actually ahead of the curve. Back in Nov they had this :

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/education/school-leggings-controversy-anatomy-of-a-social-media-firestorm-1.4419309%3fmode=amp

Oh well history repeating itself on Newstalk again today.
    Reports of 5 traveler children on reduced timetable:

Pat Kenny asks the representative why it's happening.
    She replies she didn't know but it's discrimination.
    The school is caught because any comment might be breaking confidentiality on students.

This story about reduced timetables for students came to light last year as if it were a new thing and students are being forced to go home.

From my experience it's usually for a reintroduction plan back to school (like after a bullying issue, depression, anorexia or suicide attempt).
    I know in some schools where there are serious behavioural issues it can take place instead of a suspension or if a teacher refused to teach a student after being attacked.

But anyway, pitchforks at the ready...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,521 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

She doesnt know the details but its discrimination.

Hmmmmmmmmmm

Advertisement