Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Where would you go next...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Wailin

Jpe Achilles testing the new M5 CS. 0-60 in 2.75 sec....for a big saloon car!! That is just insane, and more than likely the last of the combustion powered M5 model we will see. Amazing car.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Zurbaran

That’s a mental time electric or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭carsfan2

Wailin wrote: »
    Jpe Achilles testing the new M5 CS. 0-60 in 2.75 sec....for a big saloon car!! That is just insane, and more than likely the last of the combustion powered M5 model we will see. Amazing car.

Unbelievable performance from a big saloon.
    I’m not digging the gold wheels though and at that price point there’s lots of nicer stuff out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

As impressive as this car is, and I'm delighted that cars like this are still allowed to be made, I can't help but feel that in the real world, the M550i would do everything this car does, but for half the price (at least in the UK). Admittedly a reduction from 3.8 seconds to 3.0 seconds for the 0-100 sprint is hardly an insignificant improvement, but let's be honest, 0-100 in 3.8 seconds is plenty for the real world.

I just think it's a bit unnecessary unless you lived somewhere like Germany where you could utilise that extra power on the autobahn, because you'll never get the chance to exploit its potential here, and that would frustrate me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭maddness

As impressive as this car is, and I'm delighted that cars like this are still allowed to be made, I can't help but feel that in the real world, the M550i would do everything this car does, but for half the price (at least in the UK). Admittedly a reduction from 3.8 seconds to 3.0 seconds for the 0-100 sprint is hardly an insignificant improvement, but let's be honest, 0-100 in 3.8 seconds is plenty for the real world.

I just think it's a bit unnecessary unless you lived somewhere like Germany where you could utilise that extra power on the autobahn, because you'll never get the chance to exploit its potential here, and that would frustrate me.

Have to agree, I drove a M5 recently and it was just bonkers fast but far to big to enjoy.
    You could buy a used Ferrari GTC4 Lusso for the price of that M5 CS too.
    Love the good wheels though.

• Advertisement

I’d have an m2 competition and use the left over money for a daily driver.
    I have a feeling though anybody buying M5 club sport has plenty of other cars

carsfan2 wrote: »
    I’d have an m2 competition and use the left over money for a daily driver.
    I have a feeling though anybody buying M5 club sport has plenty of other cars

The M5 CS is €241k here apparently, and that's before you get to all the optional extras you will inevitably need, so you're probably up to €260k at the end of it. An M550i is €120k but even if you go mad with the extras you're still on about €140k.

That leaves a whole €120k to buy a load of lovely classic BMWs as fun/weekend cars; an E31 850i, Alpina B10 3.3 (E39 Alpina) manual, E30 325i Sport, E34 525i Sport and how could I not forget, an E92 M3 would all be on my bucket list of cars to own / restore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭hooch-85

People with the money to spend €240k on a car don't care if there is a cheaper model.

Either way, fair play to bmw for having the balls to build such a car when the competition (amg etc) are going to 2 litre 4 cylinder hybrids now for their performance line up. Sure, the 550i is more practical, but then so is a 540i or 530i.

Either way, fair play to bmw for having the balls to build such a car when the competition (amg etc) are going to 2 litre 4 cylinder hybrids now for their performance line up. Sure, the 550i is more practical, but then so is a 540i or 530i.

True, I'm still glad it exists, and with a proper V8 as well, no hybrid or electric nonsense here!

As for the forthcoming AMG C63, frankly I'd rather they just went full electric and added a fake V8 soundtrack, than put a small petrol engine into it. The whole appeal of an AMG Mercedes over a BMW or Audi equivalent is the shouty V8.

The M3/4 is going to be around until 2026 and BMW says they can make the S58 engine Euro 7 compliant, meanwhile even though Audi is obviously moving bigtime into electric cars, and there will be more electric S/RS cars in time to come, the next RS4 will still come with a V6 like the current car, and that will be around until 2029/2030.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

An M550i is €120k but even if you go mad with the extras you're still on about €140k.

Seems great value after seeing the 95k 520d recently

• Registered Users Posts: 51,165 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'm driving this now:

20210616-170018.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

bazz26 wrote: »
    I'm driving this now:

Fastway pay well?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Egr getting done on your car?

I'm driving this now:

20210616-170018.jpg

It'll give you an idea of what a 128ti would be like to live with!
    I thought you did the nct last week in the 430?

Are you going ahead with the X5 45e Digiman?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭digiman

carsfan2 wrote: »
    Are you going ahead with the X5 45e Digiman?

No, I cancelled it. Almost bought and XC90, really liked it, but it’s huge and would be a pain to commute in and out to work with, especially parking everyday in a multi-storey type carpark.

In the end I went for a 181 530e MSport with tons of spec, with an eye to going for a new or nearly new i4 m50 when it comes out. Hopefully get it later this week.

The 1 Series is a courtesy car from the dealer while my own gets the EGR cooler replaced and the last "free" service of the Service Pack which expires next week. It's a 116d with just under 800km on the clock, its 1.5 I think but it's peppy enough for everyday use in this country anyway. The 1 Series is not a bad place to be in from the inside and as daily transport it's as good as anything else. What I did find impressive is the cabin insulation as well as the fit and finish. You barely hear the engine from inside and while its not as good as the newer 3/4 Series for finish but it's certainly up there in it's segment. Ride is quite good too and it handles pretty good. It would be a very easy car to live with and alot better than I thought it would be. The one downside for me anyway is that the boot is very small compared to what I'm used to having but I may be just getting old. I'd say the 128ti would be a cracking car for the backroads.

It seems that according to those in the know, I'm not just a little wrong, but spectacularly so! Apparently it is a lot better to drive than the regular M5! So probably worth a punt after all....

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/bmw/m5/first-drives/bmw-m5-cs-2021-uk-review

The 1 Series is a courtesy car from the dealer while my own gets the EGR cooler replaced and the last "free" service of the Service Pack which expires next week. It's a 116d with just under 800km on the clock, its 1.5 I think but it's peppy enough for everyday use in this country anyway. The 1 Series is not a bad place to be in from the inside and as daily transport it's as good as anything else. What I did find impressive is the cabin insulation as well as the fit and finish. You barely hear the engine from inside and while its not as good as the newer 3/4 Series for finish but it's certainly up there in it's segment. Ride is quite good too and it handles pretty good. It would be a very easy car to live with and alot better than I thought it would be. The one downside for me anyway is that the boot is very small compared to what I'm used to having but I may be just getting old. I'd say the 128ti would be a cracking car for the backroads.
    When considering the 128ti they didn’t have one to test but did have a 116d. I’d concur with what you said regarding refinement and quality. The sound insulation was a stand out for me. Really impressive for the segment. The only two things I didn’t like were the standard sound system and the seats which for me weren’t great at all. Stop start as well was very intrusive but this may be more related to the Diesel engine and of course that can be turned off.

• Advertisement

Yeah they had a 1 Series in the showroom with a body kit on it but it wasn't a 128ti, the single exhaust tip gave it away. I'd say it was either a 116d or 118i. The 116d I have at the moment is fairly standard spec, I think it's a Sport trim.

Yeah they had a 1 Series in the showroom with a body kit on it but it wasn't a 128ti, the single exhaust tip gave it away. I'd say it was either a 116d or 118i. The 116d I have at the moment is fairly standard spec, I think it's a Sport trim.

I could be wrong of course but other than a few details the m sport is what the 128ti get? I originally went to look at it cause the talk was it was cheaper than the normal gti but better. In the end it was more expensive than the gti cs even though they made it sound like a great deal for the trade in.

It’s a good review and in similar a vain to others says it’s better to drive. I also think they are lovely to look at especially in blue or red. The thing is I don’t mind the seating position in the golf and even though there is less quality I found it a more modern and pleasant place to sit. Of course I didn’t get to drive the 128 but from a financial point of view it doesn’t make sense compared to the cs.

May be small time as well but my own car is faster in a straight line when compared to the gti and 128. The gti felt faster than my own and why you would buy any of these cars is more due to handling.. it’s just nice to know that when cruising on the motorway you can unleash it if need be. So that was another plus point.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Out of that bunch I would pick the 540i. The B58 is much more reliable than the N63 and more powerful than the B48.

Out of that bunch I would pick the 540i. The B58 is much more reliable than the N63 and more powerful than the B48.

Absolutely MM. 540i is more than quick enough here. 550i is too close to the m5 that anyone in the market for such a car will probably go the full hog and get the m5.

digiman wrote: »
    No, I cancelled it. Almost bought and XC90, really liked it, but it’s huge and would be a pain to commute in and out to work with, especially parking everyday in a multi-storey type carpark.

In the end I went for a 181 530e MSport with tons of spec, with an eye to going for a new or nearly new i4 m50 when it comes out. Hopefully get it later this week.
    You getting it from GT motors? They seem to stock very high spec cars wherever they get them from.
    Any grief or sweetener offered by BMW dealer when you wanted to cancel?

GT Motors are, in my humble opinion, what every second hand car dealer to strive to be like.

They have big range of superbly-specced cars and they're always in great condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,300 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

GT motors have lots advertised, maybe not so many in stock. I enquired about one recently. Ad was live when i sent enquiry and the response I got was that the car was 'well sold' and that any more that would be coming in would much much dearer as prices are up 15 percent in uk.
    This was an 18 530e at 35k.

• Advertisement

They even have Barney's car for sale...

OWI2M2IwYWZmNzUwNDM3NzY4YmI4NjZlMjQxMmY5ZDiMZ8Ibs3TERZSu6kJ8Yv3iaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNzMxNTMyODF8fHwxMjAweDEyMDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Advertisement