Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

January 2020 Recruitment.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Mcfluffers

mariyapsni wrote: »
    Hi all. Could I ask you a medical query. Has anyone had experience with the types of eye surgeries allowed - could i have a lens replacement surgery? I am not suitable for laser surgery and therefore, i might need the type of surgery that old people get when they are getting a cataract surgery. On the PSNI website, in the FAQs section it only mentions a laser surgery. I would appreciate any advice as I want to be prepared in advance and to have the surgery before my medical if they will accept it. Thanks xx

policing medical standards for eye surgery are

PRK, LASIK, LASEK, ICRS, cataract surgery: There is no significant weakening of the cornea and applicants should not be rejected. A period of at least 6 weeks after surgery should be allowed before applications are accepted. There may be a reduction in low light level visual performance:

Test visual performance under low illuminance conditions. Radial Keratotomy (RK), Arcuate Keratotomy (AK), corneal grafts. Any other surgical procedures that result in a significant weakening of the cornea. There is a measurable risk of corneal rupture if the eye is struck. Applicants should be rejected

Hope that helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭mariyapsni

Mcfluffers wrote: »
    policing medical standards for eye surgery are

PRK, LASIK, LASEK, ICRS, cataract surgery: There is no significant weakening of the cornea and applicants should not be rejected. A period of at least 6 weeks after surgery should be allowed before applications are accepted. There may be a reduction in low light level visual performance:

Test visual performance under low illuminance conditions. Radial Keratotomy (RK), Arcuate Keratotomy (AK), corneal grafts. Any other surgical procedures that result in a significant weakening of the cornea. There is a measurable risk of corneal rupture if the eye is struck. Applicants should be rejected

Hope that helps!

Thank you so so much Mcfluffers! You are a life-saver. May i just ask, is this information up to date and from the PSNI web-site or in general relevant for all police forces in the UK? Thanks again. xx

Thank you so so much Mcfluffers! You are a life-saver. May i just ask, is this information up to date and from the PSNI web-site or in general relevant for all police forces in the UK? Thanks again. xx

It’s on the government site for police recruitment so should be fairly similar to the psni for things like that! You could always email joinpsni to double check also!

Where did you go to get your eyes checked? They should be able to advise you too if it will weaken your corneas and if not you should be grand!

It’s on the government site for police recruitment so should be fairly similar to the psni for things like that! You could always email joinpsni to double check also!

Where did you go to get your eyes checked? They should be able to advise you too if it will weaken your corneas and if not you should be grand!

Again, thanks so much! Yeah, i have sent the information you provided me with to my eye surgeon, so hopefully it should be ok, regarding the cornea weakness. I have also emailed the psni recruitment regarding this, so if i hear any useful information about the eyesight standards and surgeries accepted/not accepted, i will post on here to inform others that might have similar to mine queries. Thanks xx

Again, thanks so much! Yeah, i have sent the information you provided me with to my eye surgeon, so hopefully it should be ok, regarding the cornea weakness. I have also emailed the psni recruitment regarding this, so if i hear any useful information about the eyesight standards and surgeries accepted/not accepted, i will post on here to inform others that might have similar to mine queries. Thanks xx

I definitely think there should be more info on medical standards on the joinpsni site! I emailed them a few weeks ago about a query I had and the reply I had was absolutely useless and basically just told me I’ll find out at the medical! Lol.

• Advertisement

I definitely think there should be more info on medical standards on the joinpsni site! I emailed them a few weeks ago about a query I had and the reply I had was absolutely useless and basically just told me I’ll find out at the medical! Lol.

Thanks Mcfluffers. Fingers crossed for both of us that we will pass our medicals xx:p

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭ASM1234

Just got word that vetting has passed. Took just over a week. Just the Pca and medical to go for me.
    A week for vetting, wow! From what I've heard on here that's fantastic, congrats

• Registered Users Posts: 42 BelfastGuy65

ASM1234 wrote: »
    A week for vetting, wow! From what I've heard on here that's fantastic, congrats

Thanks, I was that shocked myself I double checked with recruitment lol

• Registered Users Posts: 23 JRR2021

You’re flying through this now mate! Great to hear

• Registered Users Posts: 28 johnboy76

How much money did you put in the vetting envelope? ;):D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭ASM1234

Anyone ever been in a vetting interview or know what it's about?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Hopeful_2020

JC12250 wrote: »
    Anyone know how often the stats get updated on the JoinPSNI website?

This just got updated today

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Gda88

This just got updated today

No you have mistook that info, that is “318 currently going through the managed stages”

Gda88 wrote: »
    No you have mistook that info, that is “318 currently going through the managed stages”

I think it really has been updated because i remember the numbers were 67, 207, 20 and 686. Good to see things progressing x:)

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭NeeNaw21

Hi all. Could I ask you a medical query. Has anyone had experience with the types of eye surgeries allowed - could i have a lens replacement surgery? I am not suitable for laser surgery and therefore, i might need the type of surgery that old people get when they are getting a cataract surgery. On the PSNI website, in the FAQs section it only mentions a laser surgery. I would appreciate any advice as I want to be prepared in advance and to have the surgery before my medical if they will accept it. Thanks xx

Best bet would be to ring 101 and ask to speak to OHW and get the answer straight from the horse's mouth

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Elninotdog

Hey all, has anyone from 550-650 got their vetting forms yet?

NeeNaw21 wrote: »
    Best bet would be to ring 101 and ask to speak to OHW and get the answer straight from the horse's mouth

Thanks, i will follow your advice! xx

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Hopefulcop

Elninotdog wrote: »
    Hey all, has anyone from 550-650 got their vetting forms yet?

I'm in 350-400 and got mine 3 weeks ago if that helps you know where they're at.

Hopefulcop wrote: »
    I'm in 350-400 and got mine 3 weeks ago if that helps you know where they're at.

Happy days. Gives me a fair idea if they are doing 50 or so a week. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Newyearnewjob

I am in same group as you but think we will be waiting a while. I emailed recruitment last week to clarify some things. They said our group will be updated at end of summer so I doubt we will start vetting till then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 Irishman84!

I am in 500-550 and was advised a few weeks ago that we should expect our vetting forms out at the end of June

Has anyone done their PCA, or went to the familiarisation session? I've mine coming up very soon and I couldn't get to the familiarisation session as my little one was in hospital!

Any tips/advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 CLC93

Has anyone done their PCA, or went to the familiarisation session? I've mine coming up very soon and I couldn't get to the familiarisation session as my little one was in hospital!

Any tips/advice?

Just go in there and give it everything you have. Don't hold back. It's the quickest 4 minutes and 30 seconds of your life. The obstacles are more than manageable, just be careful going round cones, going under bars etc. Don't bother pacing yourself, it's a maximal effort test so just give her welly! Best of luck!

Ps hope your wee one is alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Sky56

CLC93 wrote: »
    Just go in there and give it everything you have. Don't hold back. It's the quickest 4 minutes and 30 seconds of your life. The obstacles are more than manageable, just be careful going round cones, going under bars etc. Don't bother pacing yourself, it's a maximal effort test so just give her welly! Best of luck!

Very much what CLC has said empty the tank leave nothing to chance, you will get a bit of time on the day to have a walk round the course soo don't worry too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭MrChew

Any tips/advice?

Like everyone else has said, give it dixie. I missed my familiarisation session and passed comfortably so don't worry on that front.

CLC93 wrote: »

Thanks, she's doing well now thankfully!

Any tips/advice?

Search psni pca on YouTube and there’s a run through

Passed medical, just SMT now!

So relived as medical was going to be my worst stage throughout the entire recruitment due to a few issues I had written down.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 BelfastGuy65

Passed medical, just SMT now!

So relived as medical was going to be my worst stage throughout the entire recruitment due to a few issues I had written down.

Congrats! I had assumed that these results would have came back together? How long ago did it roughly take for your medical results to come back?

• Advertisement

Congrats! I had assumed that these results would have came back together? How long ago did it roughly take for your medical results to come back?

Thank you!

Less than 48 hours to receive the pass email which was great!

SMT is done by a private medical company so they take a bit longer but turnaround for them seems to be fairly quick at the minute so hoping I’m appointable by next week!

Advertisement