Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid in Limerick - Mod Warning in Post #1

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,814 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Remember folks, that second AZ doses have begun and those in their 50s who got Pfizer or Moderna are due their second doses around now too, so even with the expanded capacity, that will also slow things down for the 1st dose rollout.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,395 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Remember folks, that second AZ doses have begun and those in their 50s who got Pfizer or Moderna are due their second doses around now too, so even with the expanded capacity, that will also slow things down for the 1st dose rollout.

Yes but we do have over 40% more capacity in the racecourse so there shouldn't be much of a slow-down right?

Limerick had 39 new cases today which is lower than the last few days, good signs hopefully?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,374 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Yes but we do have over 40% more capacity in the racecourse so there shouldn't be much of a slow-down right?

Limerick had 39 new cases today which is lower than the last few days, good signs hopefully?

Its still huge though. Practically all over 50s are due back in while also doing the 40s so you would need 100% capacity not to see slowdown

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

People in their 40's are due their second dose towards the end of the week. Those in their 50's should be (or very close to) fully vaccinated by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭cnoc

Does anybody know if the 2nd jab of the AZ is/has been brought forward from 12 weeks?

• Advertisement

Eoinbmw wrote: »
    Why was it not in the racecourse from the beginning with a bigger capacity?

The limiting factor isn't capacity with administration of vaccines, it never had been, the limiting factor always has been and remains how quickly we can get doses into the country. They arrive in Ireland they go into arms with a negligible buffer retained.

That is why you hear stories of vaccine centers closing or begin quiet, or people having appointments cancelled or moved else where.

If a delivery is delayed even for 24 hours it has a huge impact. I don't think people realise how huge a logistical exercise this is or the impact of changing the duration between doses or the cohort a vaccine can be used in.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

cnoc wrote: »
    Does anybody know if the 2nd jab of the AZ is/has been brought forward from 12 weeks?

Yes dropping two people out this week for their early, if by only a week, of their AZ.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭greenkiwi1

knipex wrote: »
    People in their 40's are due their second dose towards the end of the week. Those in their 50's should be (or very close to) fully vaccinated by now.

50year old here. Had 1st jab of Pfizer at the Raddison and my 2nd jab if on the dot of 28 days shld be this Saturday. Will let you know when the text comes thru - be interesting to see if the racecourse closure on Friday delays the jab by a few days.

I don't understand why everyone is getting massively annoyed about it closing for a day but perfectly happy with the daily opening times.

If your belief is that closing for a day is a life and death matter why are you ok with the place not being open every evening or even all night

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭greenkiwi1

Would not be annoyed with a few days delay but would make life a lot easier if my 2nd jab was on the weekend with work and having access to a vehicle.

• Advertisement

breezy1985 wrote: »
    I don't understand why everyone is getting massively annoyed about it closing for a day but perfectly happy with the daily opening times.

If your belief is that closing for a day is a life and death matter why are you ok with the place not being open every evening or even all night

From looking at the shuttle bus timetable the center seems to be open for 12 hours every day

There's only so much you can ask a vaccinator to do in one shift before accidents happen such as below

https://amp.rte.ie/amp/1218008/

From looking at the shuttle bus timetable the center seems to be open for 12 hours every day

There's only so much you can ask a vaccinator to do in one shift before accidents happen such as below

https://amp.rte.ie/amp/1218008/

They hired temp staff for it so they could just hire more. Its not the same staff 7 days a week either so the ones working the closed day could come in another day.

I'm not advocating for later opening I am happy with the roll out I just think it's odd people get angry when it is closed for a day and not when it is closed for 12+ hours every day when their theory is that people could die over 1 days closing

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Some people will complain it's not open 24/7, if it was open 24/7 people would complain that the time didn't suit, people will complain if it's only open 9-5 Monday to Friday as they are working, other people will complain if they are called at a weekend as it disrupts their plans, people will complain that it's awkward to get to, people will complain that it's not the other side of the city. The long and the short of it is people will complain no matter what they do

They hired temp staff for it so they could just hire more. Its not the same staff 7 days a week either so the ones working the closed day could come in another day.

I'm not advocating for later opening I am happy with the roll out I just think it's odd people get angry when it is closed for a day and not when it is closed for 12+ hours every day when their theory is that people could die over 1 days closing

People are unlikely to die from one days closing,

I think the point was made earlier in this thread that horse racing should either be taking a backseat for the duration that the vaccination centre is needed or find a way to do what they do in punchestown racecourse where they can have race meetings, a vaccination center and a testing center in the same day

Going 24/7 is all well and good but you'd need a very good supply of vaccines to support it

People are unlikely to die from one days closing,

I think the point was made earlier in this thread that horse racing should either be taking a backseat for the duration that the vaccination centre is needed or find a way to do what they do in punchestown racecourse where they can have race meetings, a vaccination center and a testing center in the same day

Going 24/7 is all well and good but you'd need a very good supply of vaccines to support it

Vaccine supply is the big one as has been pointed out in here already and they seem to be going out as fast as they go in regardless of the odd closure

A mate of mine who's 56 only had his second Pfizer yesterday. Another mate who's 50 is still a week off his second jab.
    And it's only 10 days since I got mine and I'm 45.

The rollout of second doses is not as advanced as you think.

A mate of mine who's 56 only had his second Pfizer yesterday. Another mate who's 50 is still a week off his second jab.

Second doses seem to be spot on time wise. I haven't heard of anyone who has missed their window

Second doses seem to be spot on time wise. I haven't heard of anyone who has missed their window
    I didn't say anyone missed their window. Just that people in their 50s didn't all get their first doses as early as knipex seemed to think they did. My mates second dose was on time, but only yesterday and he's 56. My other mate who's 50 has another week or so to go before he gets to 28 days.

I'm 47 and due my second dose Monday of net week.

Mos of the guys I know in their 50's are either done or have their second dose scheduled for this week \ early next.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

If you're, or know somebody aged 50-69 then Scanlons amongst other Pharmacists opened booking for its. Single shot.

https://scanlonspharmacy.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭RivetingRoger

People all over the country in the 41/42 age bracket have texts received. No one in Limerick has.

What's going on

• Registered Users Posts: 23,715 ✭✭✭✭phog

I'm 47 and due my second dose Monday of net week.

Mos of the guys I know in their 50's are either done or have their second dose scheduled for this week \ early next.

Most of my siblings and my in laws are 60+, none of them have got their 2nd jab yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,715 ✭✭✭✭phog

People all over the country in the 41/42 age bracket have texts received. No one in Limerick has.

What's going on

I know 2 people from the city in that age bracket who have got appointments.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭pajoguy

phog wrote: »
    I know 2 people from the city in that age bracket who have got appointments.

Yeah nothing yet for me. I registered 2 days before I was supposed to. Hope Leo didnt put me to the back of the queue😲

Berty wrote: »
    If you're, or know somebody aged 50-69 then Scanlons amongst other Pharmacists opened booking for its. Single shot.

https://scanlonspharmacy.com/

Stupid, should be open to everybody

How many 50-69 year olds haven't been vaccinated yet in fairness?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

What's going on

We shut down for nearly 4 full days during an 8 day period. That's definitely not why we've fallen days behind a lot of the country though. Definitely not.:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

iguana wrote: »
    We shut down for nearly 4 full days during an 8 day period. That's definitely not why we've fallen days behind a lot of the country though. Definitely not.:rolleyes:

By that argument by running 2 centres for a period of time should mean that we shot ahead of the rest of the country

What's going on

Mod edit. Attack the post not the poster.

iguana wrote: »

Who says we are behind ?

If seen no mention of it other than from that rambling liar

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Clareman wrote: »
    By that argument by running 2 centres for a period of time should mean that we shot ahead of the rest of the country

By what argument? It's just plain logic. Two things happened. We shut down for nearly 4 days. We fell behind. While correlation doesn't always equal causation, in this case it does. In those 4 days a lot of people in their mid and early 40s should have been vaccinated. We weren't. Now we have to wait more than those 4 days because the people in their mid and early 50s are receiving their second dose at present.

And while it isn't the end of the world, there is currently a massive upsurge of cases in the region. Largely driven in primary schools. And we have the two age groups (35-39 and 40-44) that are mainly the parents of those primary school children and a huge part of the workforce, left waiting on vaccines. Ensuring the perfect conditions for the virus to spread.

So sure, the move happened and the shut down for horse racing happened. We are where we are. But lets not gaslight everybody by pretending that the reason we have fallen behind, during a critical time, isn't because we shut down. It's insulting to everyone's intelligence to pretend otherwise.

Advertisement