Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid in Limerick - Mod Warning in Post #1

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

dennyk wrote: »
    In Killaloe myself; registered on the 5th of June (at the low end of the 40-45 group), then got a call a few days later from a local clinic asking me to come in on the 10th for a Pfizer dose. Not sure why it was at a clinic in town rather than the big centres in Nenagh or Limerick (or Ennis, which was where I was guessing they were going to send me, since I'm technically in County Clare by a few hundred metres... :pac: ), but it was awesome; a few minute's walk over to the clinic, not even a couple minutes of waiting before the jab, and just a few other folks there. Much better than driving halfway across the county and mingling with the undoubtedly packed crowds at one of the big centres...

That's probably to do with the GP having spare doses and calling patients on their lists rather than wasting the doses.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

I'm also in the 40-45 group but Limerick City. Registered 7 days ago and no appointment yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,065 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I'm also in the 40-45 group but Limerick City. Registered 7 days ago and no appointment yet.

The difference between 40 and 45 is a big one in this context

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

That's not at all unusual. I was in the previous 45-49 group and it was 10 or 11 days after I registered before I got an appointment. When you register it tells you that you may be waiting up to 3 weeks before you get an appointment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

They had said they expected to have invited those within 40-45(who registered) by the middle of June so here's hoping tomorrow. I'm 40 and hope to have received a vaccine by Sunday or on Sunday going on the current estimates giving in this forum of about 2 days per current age group so the 41s should be partly done by Saturday.

I'm not overly pushed about getting it ugently but happy to see us rocking through age group. The more who get it the more, as a country, we can more confidently open more stuff up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

Myself and the other half both 41 registered as soon as was doable nothing yet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

I'm literally right in the middle of the group, 42 and a half as of last week. No appointment yet. I'm developing a theory that whenever I check the portal I get kicked to the back of the queue because there is no need to prioritise the eager!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭adaminho

adaminho wrote: »
    Just a heads up. I registered on the 23rd of May (45yrs) and have yet to get an appointment. Just off the phone with the helpline, I was told if I don't receive an appointment date within the next few days I have to log an investigation.

Just an update on this, I rang this morning to have this escalated. If you haven't received an appointment after 3 weeks you need to ring them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭sioda

iguana wrote: »
    I'm literally right in the middle of the group, 42 and a half as of last week. No appointment yet. I'm developing a theory that whenever I check the portal I get kicked to the back of the queue because there is no need to prioritise the eager!

I spoke to 2 other people today all in the 41 bracket we all registered the same day and no appointments for any of us.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

42, nothing yet. Wife is 43 and got a appointment for this Thursday.

Remember folks, that second AZ doses have begun and those in their 50s who got Pfizer or Moderna are due their second doses around now too, so even with the expanded capacity, that will also slow things down for the 1st dose rollout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Remember folks, that second AZ doses have begun and those in their 50s who got Pfizer or Moderna are due their second doses around now too, so even with the expanded capacity, that will also slow things down for the 1st dose rollout.

Yes but we do have over 40% more capacity in the racecourse so there shouldn't be much of a slow-down right?

Limerick had 39 new cases today which is lower than the last few days, good signs hopefully?

Yes but we do have over 40% more capacity in the racecourse so there shouldn't be much of a slow-down right?

Limerick had 39 new cases today which is lower than the last few days, good signs hopefully?

Its still huge though. Practically all over 50s are due back in while also doing the 40s so you would need 100% capacity not to see slowdown

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

People in their 40's are due their second dose towards the end of the week. Those in their 50's should be (or very close to) fully vaccinated by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭cnoc

Does anybody know if the 2nd jab of the AZ is/has been brought forward from 12 weeks?

• Advertisement

Eoinbmw wrote: »
    Why was it not in the racecourse from the beginning with a bigger capacity?

The limiting factor isn't capacity with administration of vaccines, it never had been, the limiting factor always has been and remains how quickly we can get doses into the country. They arrive in Ireland they go into arms with a negligible buffer retained.

That is why you hear stories of vaccine centers closing or begin quiet, or people having appointments cancelled or moved else where.

If a delivery is delayed even for 24 hours it has a huge impact. I don't think people realise how huge a logistical exercise this is or the impact of changing the duration between doses or the cohort a vaccine can be used in.

cnoc wrote: »
    Does anybody know if the 2nd jab of the AZ is/has been brought forward from 12 weeks?

Yes dropping two people out this week for their early, if by only a week, of their AZ.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭greenkiwi1

knipex wrote: »
    People in their 40's are due their second dose towards the end of the week. Those in their 50's should be (or very close to) fully vaccinated by now.

50year old here. Had 1st jab of Pfizer at the Raddison and my 2nd jab if on the dot of 28 days shld be this Saturday. Will let you know when the text comes thru - be interesting to see if the racecourse closure on Friday delays the jab by a few days.

I don't understand why everyone is getting massively annoyed about it closing for a day but perfectly happy with the daily opening times.

If your belief is that closing for a day is a life and death matter why are you ok with the place not being open every evening or even all night

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭greenkiwi1

Would not be annoyed with a few days delay but would make life a lot easier if my 2nd jab was on the weekend with work and having access to a vehicle.

• Advertisement

breezy1985 wrote: »
    I don't understand why everyone is getting massively annoyed about it closing for a day but perfectly happy with the daily opening times.

If your belief is that closing for a day is a life and death matter why are you ok with the place not being open every evening or even all night

From looking at the shuttle bus timetable the center seems to be open for 12 hours every day

There's only so much you can ask a vaccinator to do in one shift before accidents happen such as below

https://amp.rte.ie/amp/1218008/

From looking at the shuttle bus timetable the center seems to be open for 12 hours every day

There's only so much you can ask a vaccinator to do in one shift before accidents happen such as below

https://amp.rte.ie/amp/1218008/

They hired temp staff for it so they could just hire more. Its not the same staff 7 days a week either so the ones working the closed day could come in another day.

I'm not advocating for later opening I am happy with the roll out I just think it's odd people get angry when it is closed for a day and not when it is closed for 12+ hours every day when their theory is that people could die over 1 days closing

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Some people will complain it's not open 24/7, if it was open 24/7 people would complain that the time didn't suit, people will complain if it's only open 9-5 Monday to Friday as they are working, other people will complain if they are called at a weekend as it disrupts their plans, people will complain that it's awkward to get to, people will complain that it's not the other side of the city. The long and the short of it is people will complain no matter what they do

They hired temp staff for it so they could just hire more. Its not the same staff 7 days a week either so the ones working the closed day could come in another day.

I'm not advocating for later opening I am happy with the roll out I just think it's odd people get angry when it is closed for a day and not when it is closed for 12+ hours every day when their theory is that people could die over 1 days closing

People are unlikely to die from one days closing,

I think the point was made earlier in this thread that horse racing should either be taking a backseat for the duration that the vaccination centre is needed or find a way to do what they do in punchestown racecourse where they can have race meetings, a vaccination center and a testing center in the same day

Going 24/7 is all well and good but you'd need a very good supply of vaccines to support it

People are unlikely to die from one days closing,

I think the point was made earlier in this thread that horse racing should either be taking a backseat for the duration that the vaccination centre is needed or find a way to do what they do in punchestown racecourse where they can have race meetings, a vaccination center and a testing center in the same day

Going 24/7 is all well and good but you'd need a very good supply of vaccines to support it

Vaccine supply is the big one as has been pointed out in here already and they seem to be going out as fast as they go in regardless of the odd closure

A mate of mine who's 56 only had his second Pfizer yesterday. Another mate who's 50 is still a week off his second jab.
    And it's only 10 days since I got mine and I'm 45.

The rollout of second doses is not as advanced as you think.

A mate of mine who's 56 only had his second Pfizer yesterday. Another mate who's 50 is still a week off his second jab.

Second doses seem to be spot on time wise. I haven't heard of anyone who has missed their window

Second doses seem to be spot on time wise. I haven't heard of anyone who has missed their window
    I didn't say anyone missed their window. Just that people in their 50s didn't all get their first doses as early as knipex seemed to think they did. My mates second dose was on time, but only yesterday and he's 56. My other mate who's 50 has another week or so to go before he gets to 28 days.

I'm 47 and due my second dose Monday of net week.

Mos of the guys I know in their 50's are either done or have their second dose scheduled for this week \ early next.

If you're, or know somebody aged 50-69 then Scanlons amongst other Pharmacists opened booking for its. Single shot.

https://scanlonspharmacy.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭RivetingRoger

People all over the country in the 41/42 age bracket have texts received. No one in Limerick has.

What's going on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭phog

I'm 47 and due my second dose Monday of net week.

Mos of the guys I know in their 50's are either done or have their second dose scheduled for this week \ early next.

Most of my siblings and my in laws are 60+, none of them have got their 2nd jab yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭phog

People all over the country in the 41/42 age bracket have texts received. No one in Limerick has.

What's going on

I know 2 people from the city in that age bracket who have got appointments.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭pajoguy

phog wrote: »
    I know 2 people from the city in that age bracket who have got appointments.

Yeah nothing yet for me. I registered 2 days before I was supposed to. Hope Leo didnt put me to the back of the queue😲

Berty wrote: »
    If you're, or know somebody aged 50-69 then Scanlons amongst other Pharmacists opened booking for its. Single shot.

https://scanlonspharmacy.com/

Stupid, should be open to everybody

How many 50-69 year olds haven't been vaccinated yet in fairness?

What's going on

We shut down for nearly 4 full days during an 8 day period. That's definitely not why we've fallen days behind a lot of the country though. Definitely not.:rolleyes:

We shut down for nearly 4 full days during an 8 day period. That's definitely not why we've fallen days behind a lot of the country though. Definitely not.:rolleyes:

By that argument by running 2 centres for a period of time should mean that we shot ahead of the rest of the country

What's going on

Mod edit. Attack the post not the poster.

Who says we are behind ?

If seen no mention of it other than from that rambling liar

• Advertisement

Clareman wrote: »
    By that argument by running 2 centres for a period of time should mean that we shot ahead of the rest of the country

By what argument? It's just plain logic. Two things happened. We shut down for nearly 4 days. We fell behind. While correlation doesn't always equal causation, in this case it does. In those 4 days a lot of people in their mid and early 40s should have been vaccinated. We weren't. Now we have to wait more than those 4 days because the people in their mid and early 50s are receiving their second dose at present.

And while it isn't the end of the world, there is currently a massive upsurge of cases in the region. Largely driven in primary schools. And we have the two age groups (35-39 and 40-44) that are mainly the parents of those primary school children and a huge part of the workforce, left waiting on vaccines. Ensuring the perfect conditions for the virus to spread.

So sure, the move happened and the shut down for horse racing happened. We are where we are. But lets not gaslight everybody by pretending that the reason we have fallen behind, during a critical time, isn't because we shut down. It's insulting to everyone's intelligence to pretend otherwise.

Folks,

This thread has been going great and is a great discussion but it still has to adhere to the overall rules of boards such as "attack the post not the poster".

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭AlfaZen

Unfortunately there were never 2 centres open at the same time.

Radisson finished their last vaccine on Saturday 5th July. There were no vaccines administered on Sunday the 6th or Monday 7th. The Racecourse opened for vaccines on Tuesday 8th and was closed again on Saturday 12th.

By what argument? It's just plain logic. Two things happened. We shut down for nearly 4 days. We fell behind. While correlation doesn't always equal causation, in this case it does. In those 4 days a lot of people in their mid and early 40s should have been vaccinated. We weren't. Now we have to wait more than those 4 days because the people in their mid and early 50s are receiving their second dose at present.

And while it isn't the end of the world, there is currently a massive upsurge of cases in the region. Largely driven in primary schools. And we have the two age groups (35-39 and 40-44) that are mainly the parents of those primary school children and a huge part of the workforce, left waiting on vaccines. Ensuring the perfect conditions for the virus to spread.

So sure, the move happened and the shut down for horse racing happened. We are where we are. But lets not gaslight everybody by pretending that the reason we have fallen behind, during a critical time, isn't because we shut down. It's insulting to everyone's intelligence to pretend otherwise.

You are going to have to share some stats and references for those claims, I haven't seen anything that links surges to primary schools.

Can you please share details of where we have fallen behind? Outside of people not receiving appointments I'm not seeing anywhere that says that the region is falling behind.

My take on it is the racecourse can administrate ~24k vaccines a week, the Radisson could administrate ~16k a week, the 2 ran in conjunction with each other for a couple of weeks which compensates for the closed dates, couple this with Nenagh and Ennis continuing to deliver the vaccines together with GPs as well as pharmacies starting now. Also, I thought the racecourse was only closed for 1 day so far, the 12th of June, it's due to close on 3 more days but that hasn't happened yet and also won't have an impact on the rollout
    https://www.rte.ie/news/regional/2021/0611/1227562-limerick-covid-vaccine/
    A spokesperson for the HSE vaccination programme in Limerick said it had been built into their contract with Limerick Racecourse that it would be unavailable for vaccinations on five days over June and July, namely on 12, 18 June and on 4, 10 and 22 July and that the capacity of vaccinations was not being diminished or reduced at all because of this.

We could be open 24/7 and it wouldn't make a difference because vaccine supply is limited. The country should be at over 400k vaccines a week, but supply issues mean it's still below 300k a week. The portal still hasn't been opened to people in their 30s anywhere in the country. We have not fallen behind.

We could be open 24/7 and it wouldn't make a difference because vaccine supply is limited. The country should be at over 400k vaccines a week, but supply issues mean it's still below 300k a week. The portal still hasn't been opened to people in their 30s anywhere in the country. We have not fallen behind.

I think the issue here is yes, the vaccines have supply issues/constraints however we should be administering the maximum we can every day weather that is 1 or 10,000.

So I think it does make a difference as that one person that could have vaccinated on the Saturday but wasn't is 24 hours at greater risk than they need to be.

Over a week or a month the numbers vaccinated may average out but covid doesn't wait for averages.

• Advertisement

AlfaZen wrote: »
    I think the issue here is yes, the vaccines have supply issues/constraints however we should be administering the maximum we can every day weather that is 1 or 10,000.

So I think it does make a difference as that one person that could have vaccinated on the Saturday but wasn't is 24 hours at greater risk than they need to be.

Over a week or a month the numbers vaccinated may average out but covid doesn't wait for averages.
    Except you've no proof that we're not using every vaccine in the hours we have available to us. The fact that supplies haven't increased, but we've gone from around 14k a week to 24k a week suggests that we are administering all available vaccines and that we were in fact limited by the being in the Radisson. The odds are that people will actually get vaccinated more quickly now that we have the extra capacity. And 24hrs will make a negligible difference to someones risk of getting Covid.

AlfaZen wrote: »

Aren't vaccines delivered on a weekly basis rather than a daily basis? If (say), 24k doses are available for a week from the racecourse is there really a difference between delivering <3.5k a day rather than 4k a day? Surely that would mean that on Friday evening you'd have 17k vs 20k delivered and on Sunday you'd have the 24k delivered.

Actually an important point here that I think might be missed is that just because the racecourse is being closed doesn't mean that less vaccines are being given out, there is more vaccinators than vaccines at the moment

Aren't vaccines delivered on a weekly basis rather than a daily basis? If (say), 24k doses are available for a week from the racecourse is there really a difference between delivering <3.5k a day rather than 4k a day? Surely that would mean that on Friday evening you'd have 17k vs 20k delivered and on Sunday you'd have the 24k delivered.

I honestly don't know the details of the supply chains. But, if they are delivered weekly I would think it would be best (in terms of protecting the public from covid) to run the centers for the maximum possible hours until the supply for that week has been fully administered. In my opinion this would give the greatest cover to people.

Actually an important point here that I think might be missed is that just because the racecourse is being closed doesn't mean that less vaccines are being given out, there is more vaccinators than vaccines at the moment

This may be true over a week, but the question is then how quickly are the available vaccines being administered?

Could they lets say get the full supply for the week administered in 4 days (Monday to Thursday) and then have no issue with horse racing at the weekend.

I think it all boils down to Communication from the HSE. Last weeks issues just looked so bad (even if the impact was relatively small).

• Advertisement
Advertisement