Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gyms to Reopen 2021???

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

My main mistake on Monday was doing loads of ancillary stuff, so even though I didnt do anything heavy, Im still trying to figure which parts hurt the least for today.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭matrim

for people who have been back, how are flyefit doing their time slots? The welcome back mail said that you don’t have to leave after the 75 minutes?

Could you arrive anytime in the slot and just continue to work until you’re done?

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Reps4jesus

matrim wrote: »
    for people who have been back, how are flyefit doing their time slots? The welcome back mail said that you don’t have to leave after the 75 minutes?

Could you arrive anytime in the slot and just continue to work until you’re done?

Seems like you only are allowed in at your time, but then they are not kicking you out after the 75 mins as previously, have only been there first thing in the morning tho so not 100% sure on this but it seems to be how its working

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Kamu

matrim wrote: »

I've been about 10ish minutes late for my slot but there was no issue getting in. If you're more than 15 minutes late, maybe you can't get in, but I'm not sure.

You can stay as long as you want. I was there 2 hours yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,554 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

They didn't seem to be kicking anyone out on Monday anyway. Most were gone before the 90 mins was up anyway so a bit of spillover is going to be fine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,112 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

I'd say I'll be trouble tomorrow and Friday. Got a bit carried away on my first day back this morning, probably pushed myself too much with an intense leg day.

IMO, DOMS are always worst 2 days later. I'm on "1 Day Later" soreness and stiffness already and it's still only Day 0. Friday is going to be baaaaad.... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

I am aching. I took it easy enough weight wise. Legs tomorrow and then ill rest untill Monday. Had a run this evening though.

Thanks for the answers. My workout is typically about 50 minutes so want to see if I could turn up 20 / 30 minutes late to avoid the first rush. And if I then happen to go over, it looks like I would be able to finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Haven't really noticed any loss in strength but I wasn't strong to begin with.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

All major body parts now trained over the last four days and safe to say everything is sore... but not critically, so I'm able to work around the DOMS quite well. Loading up on creatine last week and increasing the protein "seems" to of helped but I would only know if I had some reference point, in my opinion its not as bad as I thought it would of been.
    Great to be back in there and knowing all it will take is some hard work and a decent diet and it'll be back to normal.

• Advertisement

one plus this time round, no lockers sealed off where I go, that was a pain last year

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Paddigol

Any guess/ insight as to when showers likely to open in FF? Bit of a farce given pools now allowed to open. If numbers are controlled (as they currently are) then surely the risks are low enough to justify opening them. Absolutely zero use for my membership until they do open as I've no showers in work and no FF near home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭Patsy167

3afw5pr14b471.png

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Vital Transformation

Looks like my local gym (and another one of the bigger gym/pool chains, according to their email newsletter) aren't allowing use of changing rooms/showers for gym goers.

They were allowed last year with no vaccines; there is currently no strain whatsoever on the health system, very low figures in hospital.

Policies are more cautious despite being in a better situation. :confused:

Looks like my local gym (and another one of the bigger gym/pool chains, according to their email newsletter) aren't allowing use of changing rooms/showers for gym goers.

They were allowed last year with no vaccines; there is currently no strain whatsoever on the health system, very low figures in hospital.

no one if forcing them, looks like a cash grab , they will have to change in the winter and/or subscriptions come up for renewals

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

Our gym has showers open and they've scrapped the slot booking system too. Happy days!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

I went on monday and did a slow run but was pleased to see I could still do 5km. Did a few weight machines for things i found it hard to do at home (lats, butterfly etc) with light weight and felt fine.

Went back on Tuesday and did my deadlift and squat and, even though ive been doing dumbell versions at home and used light enough weights, have been feeling it in my legs all week.

Hope to get back in today, after 2 days off, but if not will definitely get in tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

silverharp wrote: »
    no one if forcing them, looks like a cash grab , they will have to change in the winter and/or subscriptions come up for renewals

it'll be a big factor when the work from home starts to end.
    not being able to shower before heading off to work or somewhere else (like pub/restaurant) after will be a big factor in renewals.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Qgirl

paw patrol wrote: »
    it'll be a big factor when the work from home starts to end.
    not being able to shower before heading off to work or somewhere else (like pub/restaurant) after will be a big factor in renewals.

Build showers at the work place? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 45,059 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

back was feeling ok yesterday so decided i would try going back to the gym this morning.

slept through my alarm and woke up 3 hours later, 10 minutes late for work.

Been a really good restart for me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Paddigol

It's bizarre. The Govt have effectively sanctioned the opening of shower facilities by allowing return to swimming pools - yet FlyeFit and some others think it serves their members best to keep them closed?? I'm struggling to see the logic.

Paddigol wrote: »
    It's bizarre. The Govt have effectively sanctioned the opening of shower facilities by allowing return to swimming pools - yet FlyeFit and some others think it serves their members best to keep them closed?? I'm struggling to see the logic.

Possibly a mix of extra cleaning costs and being overly cautious so that they can't be blamed for any outbreaks and asked to close.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭brianc27

Have my usual weekly 2 upper, 2 lower and 2 cardio sessions done now, whole body was in bits until today, feel grand today though, hopefully that's it now for the doms

• Registered Users Posts: 24,554 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Well, that's a nonsense policy!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Terrible customer service - was it a big chain or a place with multiple branches?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,201 ✭✭✭ongarite

Shower facilities are reopening in my local gym tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭All that fandango

Want to rejoin the gym but just wondering, how do people listen to their own music (spotify) from their phone, while also having a visual countdown timer for workouts and reps? Havent joined back at the gym yet, I'm still doing my own thing at home with the bits of equipment I have. Use my phone for music and then have a visual hiit timer on youtube from the smart tv. I cant keep track of the time accurately in my head. I need to see the timer with rest periods and total time etc when Im working out. Would it be daft to invest in a very cheap tablet so I could use the youtube app? Or just invest in a pair of wireless earbuds and use an app on my phone compatible with spotify? Kind of annoying if I have to, as I have a really great pair of Beats that are still in good nick. Thanks

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Want to rejoin the gym but just wondering, how do people listen to their own music (spotify) from their phone, while also having a visual countdown timer for workouts and reps? Havent joined back at the gym yet, I'm still doing my own thing at home with the bits of equipment I have. Use my phone for music and then have a visual hiit timer on youtube from the smart tv. I cant keep track of the time accurately in my head. I need to see the timer with rest periods and total time etc when Im working out. Would it be daft to invest in a very cheap tablet so I could use the youtube app? Or just invest in a pair of wireless earbuds and use an app on my phone compatible with spotify? Kind of annoying if I have to, as I have a really great pair of Beats that are still in good nick. Thanks

I'm sure just finding the right pairing of apps is the best way to go. I use a pair of Jabra Elite 75 wireless ear buds and Spotify will be interrupted to let me know about messages, calls etc. I don't use a countdown timer or similar, but I bet there is one that would work for you.

For rest periods I just set the stopwatch going on my G Shock. I can appreciate that if you were doing a protocol like tabata or some other HIIT that might not be ideal.

If you want a stand-alone round timer you could invest in a little Gymboss. They've been going strong for years.

You should have no problem combining spotify with some kind of interval timer. You just run them both at the same time on your phone.

Personally, I've used this app for years both for myself, and when using timed sets with my PT clients. I have it set up with at least a dozen different intervals that I use depending on the workout. You can either use the screen changing colour to guide you through intervals, or sound coming through your headphones (or both).

Android App

iOS App

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭All that fandango

I'm sure just finding the right pairing of apps is the best way to go. I use a pair of Jabra Elite 75 wireless ear buds and Spotify will be interrupted to let me know about messages, calls etc. I don't use a countdown timer or similar, but I bet there is one that would work for you.

For rest periods I just set the stopwatch going on my G Shock. I can appreciate that if you were doing a protocol like tabata or some other HIIT that might not be ideal.

If you want a stand-alone round timer you could invest in a little Gymboss. They've been going strong for years.

Thank you. Those Gumbosses look handy enough. Can I ask how do you find the Jabra Elites for sound quality?

Advertisement