Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gyms to Reopen 2021???

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭dashoonage

First three swims booked in. been 1.5 years since ive been in a pool

I might get a little emotional.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

The Real Science of Sport Podcast on detraining/complete break from training and the physiological impact of it.

Well worth a listen for those that might be freaking out about how weak they might have become.
    <...>

I know that from the last time - empty bar weights a ton for first two weeks :D
    Plus #nevermissamonday y'know yerself like!

Funnily enough that's what I have planned already. I checked in my FitNotes app where I left off last time and next on my 3-day split is the "push" day :D

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭strongback

dashoonage wrote: »
    First three swims booked in. been 1.5 years since ive been in a pool

Where are you swimming?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,112 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Please don't do that in the pool. Ruins it for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

Looking forward to the dumbell rack lol!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭rpurfield

Happy Gymas Eve everyone.

Only 12hrs to go!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,261 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Makes me laugh with the chat about masks. How are you supposed to train with masks on and have your breathing regulated properly? In the gym I go to when it was last opened. It was just distancing, clean your hands and sanitizer on equipment. The mask talk is daft.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,554 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Makes me laugh with the chat about masks. How are you supposed to train with masks on and have your breathing regulated properly? In the gym I go to when it was last opened. It was just distancing, clean your hands and sanitizer on equipment. The mask talk is daft.

It was just brought up as a hypothetical 'if I had to wear one, I'd be ok with that if it meant access to the gym'.

Doesn't seem to have hampered someone like Jessica Buettner too much who set some PRs wearing a mask.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

A summary of how quickly we lose fitness when we stop.
    For weight training, it takes just 12 weeks for the amount you can lift to decline significantly – but some of your original strength will linger on.

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20210603-how-soon-do-we-become-unfit-when-we-stop-exercising

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Those of us about to die! we salute you!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,731 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

It was just brought up as a hypothetical 'if I had to wear one, I'd be ok with that if it meant access to the gym'.

Doesn't seem to have hampered someone like Jessica Buettner too much who set some PRs wearing a mask.

She’s all power though. I’d say someone trying to do cardio with a mask would be at nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 24,554 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    She’s all power though. I’d say someone trying to do cardio with a mask would be at nothing

Why would you do cardio?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,731 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Why would you do cardio?

Fair point

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

My gym are open their usual BH hours today. They have increased their booking slots to 90 minutes, was 60 last time round. Times are kinda crappy for me, Ill be booking slots 30 mins before I can make them because the next slot is too late. Their on line booking is crap too, tedious.

Is the booking here to stay?

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

Was thinking the bank holiday schedule would be active for BD and it was, I was up and raring to go at 06:30 so I did a tabata session instead and will hit the gym on my lunch hour today.

Really looking forward to it but the inevitable disappointment on strength loss and very visible muscle loss... Ah well, another "come back" on the cards... GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRREAT

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

FF was great this morning at 7:30! So nice to be back. Though just sat down on the couch and am now pretty sure I will seize up completely and be stuck here for the next 2 days solid :eek::eek:

I am weak as a goldfish but I don't care - sure all the more room for gainz!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭Patsy167

FF was great this morning at 7:30! So nice to be back. Though just sat down on the couch and am now pretty sure I will seize up completely and be stuck here for the next 2 days solid :eek::eek:

I am weak as a goldfish but I don't care - sure all the more room for gainz!

As the old adage goes: Beyonce wasn't built in a day.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Happy gymming everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

Patsy167 wrote: »
    As the old adage goes: Beyonce wasn't built in a day.

There are a lot of carbs in that caboose though:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Cill94

is_that_so wrote: »

Significant strength loss starts longgg before the 12 week mark. Most people will start losing strength after 1-2 weeks of not lifting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Cill94

is_that_so wrote: »

Significant strength loss starts longgg before the 12 week mark. Most people will start losing strength after 1-2 weeks of not lifting.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Those of us about to die! we salute you!!!
    Not dead, not bad but not great either! Still a rush to be back!

Our gym was as packed as local supermarket this morning :D I was absolutely shocked when I managed to secure the bench press station at some point :D I could lift f'all but it was so nice to be back.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,370 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

j@utis wrote: »
    Our gym was as packed as local supermarket this morning :D I was absolutely shocked when I managed to secure the bench press station at some point :D I could lift f'all but it was so nice to be back.

I went to mine at 6 am, only a few others there for the hour which was brilliant. Tomorrow looks to be more like a normal day numbers wise, I'm guessing there's going to he crowds for the foreseeable future before it levels off. This morning was a gift numbers wise for me.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,201 ✭✭✭ongarite

Good to be back this morning and see so many familiar faces.
    Feel like **** at end of time slot.
    No strength, tired and cardio endurance/ability at near zero.
    Only way is up!

My gym was fairly busy...every piece of kit occupied but no one with nothing.
    It'll be interesting how it pans out... Mostly unvaccinated under 40s, indoors & no masks.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

BD Cherrywood was busy but not overly busy... got it done though, alarming how weak I was but it is what it is. Time to get it back... cardio can do one, I've done tons of it, weights its your turn.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

i was in WW in Lep this morning , I dont use that one much but certainly not as busy as a weekday evening, the weights area was busy but not crowded and the machines and cardio sections were a ghost town

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,895 ✭✭✭Rosita

silverharp wrote: »
    i was in WW in Lep this morning , I dont use that one much but certainly not as busy as a weekday evening, the weights area was busy but not crowded and the machines and cardio sections were a ghost town

Is the sauna/jacuzzi area in operation?

Advertisement