Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gyms to Reopen 2021???

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,031 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Thank you. Those Gumbosses look handy enough. Can I ask how do you find the Jabra Elites for sound quality?

I like them, but in terms of sound quality I'm probably not the best person to ask.

I opted for the 75 model because the 85 seemed like overkill. There's a less expensive 65 model, and / or a sport model, but the 75 seemed like the best all-rounder from the reviews at the time. It stays in my ear when I'm lifting and I don't sweat the much so works fine.

If you are doing HIIT or moving around at speed then I wonder if you wouldn't be better off with the sport model that has the thing that fits over your ears to keep them in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

Five days done last week and the weekend off (for recovery... and it as too nice not to get out and have a few beers and eats in the local)

In for legs today, great workout too... But I'll be sore tomorrow, I ramped it up a little, since it's week 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Slept through my first alarm since reopening this morning. Just like old times!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 pryingEyes999

NRG in Galway (Perhaps also cork) have gone from 49pm to 55pm and now have a 200 euro joining fee! Almost a 50% price increase

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

NRG in Galway (Perhaps also cork) have gone from 49pm to 55pm and now have a 200 euro joining fee! Almost a 50% price increase

People will pay it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,437 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Yeah I am surprised Flyefit have kept prices the same - maybe in a bid to get the new members in over the next couple of months and then right look to increase, when it's less likely people will switch if they are settled somewhere

I have empathy for any gyms increasing prices (at reasonable levels e.g. 10% or whatever), it's been a tough time and I am sure cleaning costs have gone up as well as membership down in some cases.

BD has raised the prices from 19 to 29 I believe and removed the annual payment scheme, i think it's only monthly now.

I'll pay whatever (to a limit) they are 600 mtrs from my house and opposite my office, the convenience of the location is worth the price on its own.

Plus, its well kitted out and opening hours are pretty good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Yeah I am surprised Flyefit have kept prices the same - maybe in a bid to get the new members in over the next couple of months and then right look to increase, when it's less likely people will switch if they are settled somewhere

I have empathy for any gyms increasing prices (at reasonable levels e.g. 10% or whatever), it's been a tough time and I am sure cleaning costs have gone up as well as membership down in some cases.
    Local gym has summer specials and quite a few family deals but no changes in prices otherwise. Numbers seem decent anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭mioniqa

Anyone know when indoor fitness classes like spinning will be allowed?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,031 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

mioniqa wrote: »

July 5th or 6th IIRC, with a cap on numbers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,437 ✭✭✭caviardreams

mioniqa wrote: »

Some places are doing it already as "zoned" training - maybe check your gym to see if they are doing similar already?

A couple of things I've noticed with my local Flyefit...

I walked past at around 5:45am this morning, and there wasn't one person that I could see on the treadmills or cross trainers, which is very weird for that time of morning, especially considering all slots were booked for 5:30am. I'm guessing there are a lot of people that want to go at 6 or 6:30am who need to book the 5:30am slot to be in there.

Another thing is there doesn't seem to be a way to cancel a slot now? I booked my other half into 8:30am, but she said she wanted to cancel and try to get one later in the day. There doesn't seem to be a way to cancel anymore, meaning that even though there's surely people that would have cancelled later in the day, there's no way to take their slots? Maybe I'm just missing something obvious, i'm sure it used to be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,550 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Basil3 wrote: »

I walked past at around 5:45am this morning, and there wasn't one person that I could see on the treadmills or cross trainers, which is very weird for that time of morning, especially considering all slots were booked for 5:30am. I'm guessing there are a lot of people that want to go at 6 or 6:30am who need to book the 5:30am slot to be in there.

Another thing is there doesn't seem to be a way to cancel a slot now? I booked my other half into 8:30am, but she said she wanted to cancel and try to get one later in the day. There doesn't seem to be a way to cancel anymore, meaning that even though there's surely people that would have cancelled later in the day, there's no way to take their slots? Maybe I'm just missing something obvious, i'm sure it used to be there.

Same way to cancel as before. I cancelled a slot this morning.

Same way to cancel as before. I cancelled a slot this morning.

How do you do it? I thought you used to go into My Bookings, and then you could click on your booked slot and cancel? I tried on mobile and web browser, there was no option to do anything with the booked slot.

Edit: just booked a slot and can cancel it fine. Must have been a glitch with the site this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭matrim

How do you do it? I thought you used to go into My Bookings, and then you could click on your booked slot and cancel? I tried on mobile and web browser, there was no option to do anything with the booked slot.

Edit: just booked a slot and can cancel it fine. Must have been a glitch with the site this morning.

How soon before the slot was it? I think you can't cancel in the hour beforehand

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Patsy167

Any thoughts on whether the larger FlyeFit gyms might return to 24h in September?

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Prezatch

FYI technically you can arrive at 6:59AM if you're in the 5.30-7.00am slot and still be let in. They're pretty easy going at the door in my local one. I generally go about 6am.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,550 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Changing rooms and showers back in action in FLYEfit from today.

Also, no need to book a slot on Saturday or Sunday - just turn up (you can check how busy it is on the website).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

That's great news. Effort of going gym before work then back home for a shower then to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Vital Transformation

Looks like my local gym (and another one of the bigger gym/pool chains, according to their email newsletter) aren't allowing use of changing rooms/showers for gym goers.

They were allowed last year with no vaccines; there is currently no strain whatsoever on the health system, very low figures in hospital.

Policies are more cautious despite being in a better situation. :confused:

Have to correct the record here. I ended up rejoining the local gym again and there are now less restrictions than last summer. I was basing my last post off something on their website, but I think that had been left up from last year, and hasn't been removed.

Even then, I remember last year that there was a sign about showers being for swimmers only, but truth be told, it was never enforced. They blocked off a couple of showers last summer but now they're reopened. There are also 15 extra people allowed in the gym per slot (compared to last year) which makes a big difference; often don't have to book very early in advance the previous day to get a slot etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭brianc27

Gym I was in yesterday evening was absolutely rammed, felt pretty uncomfortable to be honest, if anyone in there was carrying the virus then they would have infected a lot of people, impossible to social distance, way too packed, **** all ventilation, I didnt stay long, first time I've genuinely felt uneasy at being in a gym during this pandemic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

brianc27 wrote: »
    Gym I was in yesterday evening was absolutely rammed, felt pretty uncomfortable to be honest, if anyone in there was carrying the virus then they would have infected a lot of people, impossible to social distance, way too packed, **** all ventilation, I didnt stay long, first time I've genuinely felt uneasy at being in a gym during this pandemic

Where you there at a busy time?

The issue I see with my gym is all the weights/cable machines/squats racks are all in one area. There is not enough of them to close off any so all in use. I find that even if numbers in the gym are ok everyone seems to be in the same area on top of each other.

BD in the mornings in Cherrywood are VERY quiet, there before I start work and it really is a ghost town.
    Can well imagine its busy in the evening though

• Registered Users Posts: 3 FootRace12

Hope I’m not high jacking this thread with an unnecessary question, but any recommendations for a gym around the D1/D3/D7 area that’s not too busy? (Not a flye fit) Training at home isn’t cutting it anymore and would like to get in before work to a gym. Was a member of flye fit but finding them over crowded since re opening

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭brianc27

jrosen wrote: »
    Where you there at a busy time?

The issue I see with my gym is all the weights/cable machines/squats racks are all in one area. There is not enough of them to close off any so all in use. I find that even if numbers in the gym are ok everyone seems to be in the same area on top of each other.

It was around 8pm, so yea, just at the tail end of what would be considered "peak" I suppose, but still it was a lot busier then usual at that time, machines and free weights were jammed

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭strongback

I was in BD Northwood on Monday night and it was not too busy. It was a little busier last Sunday morning but there was plenty of room.

Northwood has a very big gym floor now with the pool is filled in so there is a lot of space. It looks like a proper bodybuilding gym, all racks, benches and Hammer Strength machines.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,200 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

I asked in Gymplus last night when do they expect to open the jacuzzi, steam room and sauna and the girl on reception said they are waiting on guidance from fitness Ireland (or maybe it was active Ireland.

Said I'd heard some other gyms had theirs open and she said they have to sanitize after every session for that to happen, something they don't have the staff for in my branch.

Do the gyms where these are open really sanitize after each session?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭tony1980

I asked in Gymplus last night when do they expect to open the jacuzzi, steam room and sauna and the girl on reception said they are waiting on guidance from fitness Ireland (or maybe it was active Ireland.

Said I'd heard some other gyms had theirs open and she said they have to sanitize after every session for that to happen, something they don't have the staff for in my branch.

I stayed in The Clayton on Grand Canal at the weekend and they had the Jacuzzi open when I was using the pool. Numbers were limited but it was open

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭JayRoc

Definitely not.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,200 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

JayRoc wrote: »
    Definitely not.

That's what I thought.....

Advertisement