Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

Well at least we are getting somewhere.

I take it from your indignant reply you also feverishly and fervently oppose the idea of white privilege

White privilege is a made up concept by anti white racists to try hide their racism

Its up their with idiotic notion of white guilt as well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Shebean

White privilege is a made up concept by anti white racists to try hide their racism

Its up their with idiotic notion of white guilt as well

Seems white victimhood is real though.
    WLM/ALM is a great example. Black people try raise attention to inequality and the response from some quarters is 'white people have problems too you know'.

'White privilege' could also be 'ignorance is bliss'.

Shebean wrote: »
    WLM/ALM is a great example. Black people try raise attention to inequality and the response from some quarters is 'white people have problems too you know'.

But you do agree that accusing all white people of having white privilege is making an assumption based on the colour of their skin?

I would go as far as to say being white is not only NOT a privilege, it actually can be detrimental in some instances

Take the housing list in this country, you be better off being non white,
    or the employment sector where the race card can be played

• Registered Users Posts: 6,783 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

or the employment sector where the race card can be played

Any evidence to back up this claim in particular?

• Advertisement

you only have to look how it was a complete joke in the united States where Affirmative action for example was a complete fiasco where it was brought in to make employers hire people based on the color of their skin and not on their ability.

It actually created the issue the original idea had been formed to stop.

I'm pretty sure that diversity quotas are a thing. I know utv were advertising a job not too long back where you were required to have a disability or be of an ethnic minority.

I assume that's what the poster was talking about.

Three generations of a Muslim family out for a Sunday evening walk, mowed down and killed by a racist in a pickup truck. Canada, the other day.
    If it were a Muslim running down a Christian family it would be headline news around the world with all sorts of Facebook flag profiles.
    No threads on this. All we get is racism passing as multicultural debate or concern.
    That's my view of multicultural debate, rife with bigots looking for a platform on the 'new Irish' and so on.

There's nothing stopping you starting a thread on whatever happened in Canada. You've no interest in that though, you just want to casually throw around accusations of racism in order to stop any discussion on immigration and multiculturalism. Won't work though, the debate is becoming more and more public in Ireland.

I'm pretty sure that diversity quotas are a thing. I know utv were advertising a job not too long back where you were required to have a disability or be of an ethnic minority.

I assume that's what the poster was talking about.
    Indeed,

Whatever happened to the notion of actually hiring the best candidate for the job.

Interviewer...sorry sir, we would love to hire you, even though you have more experience than the other candidates, and would be the ideal recruitment, we cannot hire you because you are white,

we need to hire someone that ticks a minority box, cos we certainly dont want to appear racist where we allow skin color be a factor.

Applicant.....so I am being refused based on my skin color ? Is that not racist

something about white privilege.....

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

But you do agree that accusing all white people of having white privilege is making an assumption based on the colour of their skin?

All white people in the Western World do have white privilege though, for the simple reason that they are white and white people, as a race, have historically been the ones who discriminate rather than be discriminated.

I, as a white person, benefit from white privilege despite the fact I don’t want it. If a video of me fighting with some other white person is recorded, nobody is going to be judging me based on my skin colour. If there is a video of two black people fighting, then they absolutely will be judged on their skin colour. Maybe not by everyone, but we have seen it in this very thread (deport them) and in the teenagers thread (new Irish).

That is white privilege. If you can’t get that into your head by now then you never, ever will.

I honestly don’t know why you’re trying to play the victim card for white people again. It’s genuinely very weird that you do this all the time while still claiming you find racism abhorrent. Again as I pointed out in the Biden thread, you’re acting like a white knight for white people while completely ignoring everything else.

If you are white, and you have a mixed race child, who is going to face more discrimination based on their skin colour, you or your child? If you honestly think it’s you, then you’re deluded and you have your head in the sand.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

That poster claims to be pro-choice and pro-LGBT but would have voted for the homophobic bigot Mike Pence over Kamala Harris, so I wouldn’t take seriously anything they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,783 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

you only have to look how it was a complete joke in the united States where Affirmative action for example was a complete fiasco where it was brought in to make employers hire people based on the color of their skin and not on their ability.

It actually created the issue the original idea had been formed to stop.

Your initial claim was that being white was a disadvantage in the workplace and you're posting in the "Multiculturalism in Ireland" thread.

Do you have any evidence that being white puts you at a disadvantage in the Irish workplace?

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭MarkEadie

Faugheen wrote: »
    All white people in the Western World do have white privilege though, for the simple reason that they are white and white people, as a race, have historically been the ones who discriminate rather than be discriminated.

I, as a white person, benefit from white privilege despite the fact I don’t want it. If a video of me fighting with some other white person is recorded, nobody is going to be judging me based on my skin colour. If there is a video of two black people fighting, then they absolutely will be judged on their skin colour. Maybe not by everyone, but we have seen it in this very thread (deport them) and in the teenagers thread (new Irish).

That is white privilege. If you can’t get that into your head by now then you never, ever will.

I honestly don’t know why you’re trying to play the victim card for white people again. It’s genuinely very weird that you do this all the time while still claiming you find racism abhorrent. Again as I pointed out in the Biden thread, you’re acting like a white knight for white people while completely ignoring everything else.

If you are white, and you have a mixed race child, who is going to face more discrimination based on their skin colour, you or your child? If you honestly think it’s you, then you’re deluded and you have your head in the sand.

Lol good point about the posting of videos. As many on this thread have shown that they will post any incidents involving black people, it's quite a privilege to know that if I get into a row on O Connell St my mug is not going to be plastered on here with calls for my deportation.

No, I wouldn't make any assumptions for the very reason that you have highlighted and I have no idea why you're asking me that question.

It's just the flip side of the accusation you levelled at the other poster.

IF someone assumes a person is not Irish based on the color of their skin, without knowing anything else about the individual... You've simply decided to get sensitive over Black people, but you probably wouldn't feel the same outrage over assumptions about white people.
    I never made any assumptions about any skin colour, so it's honestly baffling that you're asking me that question when you should be directing it at the poster you called for the black lads to be 'deported'.

Oh, I understand the other posters pov. I will point out what I perceive to be double standards though.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Sadler Peak

Jaysus, the amount of suckers on here who have been duped into the bullshít of US identity politics and CRT is both sad and worrying for the future.

Hi faugheen.

Just a simple yes or a no, is it ok to judge people, make assumptions about people, or to project guilt or victimhood on them based SOLELY on the colour of their skin?

You seemed to take offense that a poster would make an assumption based purely on skin colour. I wholeheartedly agree with you. I hate racism in any form (mentioned that a few times I believe).

I'm raising my daughter to not believe she is any more or less privileged than me. You seem to think she's disadvantaged because of her skin colour. I don't.

She will obviously feel more of the brunt of it when she deals with racists (which I'm part of that group apparently). That's undeniable. She will also feel the horrible feeling of condescension from people who tell her she is a victim because of her skin colour and have people fighting for her right to be equal.

My daughter is equal. She is being taught to ignore racists and to ignore people who feel the need to be offended on her behalf. Neither my daughter, nor me, are playing a victim card. Because we aren't victims. We just have to deal with people every day from both sides who are either abusive or condescending.

It's laughable really. I've been called a racist, mostly for my opinions which are based on not wanting my daughter to be classed as a protected category and for wanting only equal treatment for her. I want her judged on her character and her actions, and want the same for me.

I have no privilege, she has no disadvantage and I'll be damned if I allow people to tell her otherwise.

I'm not acting like a white knight. I'm absolutely against racism. Anyone that thinks black people are automatically not Irish are wrong. I don't agree with it in any way. As you said, assumptions should never be made based on skin colour.

That does not tie into the belief that you believe white people are privileged based solely on their skin colour.

That is equally an abhorrent outlook and equally racist.

So I ask again, is it ok to judge people, make assumptions about people, or to project guilt or victimhood on them based SOLELY on the colour of their skin?

White people in a predominately white nation do not receive any privilege based on the color of their skin. We, western nations, have a range of laws to prevent such preference or discrimination from occuring based along racial lines. If you ever manage to live outside of western nations, you'll find that there aren't the same protections and laws against racial discrimination... so in actuality, white cultures tend to be the fairest systems around the world, in taking into consideration other racial groups.

However, there is privilege simply due to the historical predominance of White people, since they've had generations to build up personal/family wealth, along with a range of family connections. The same exists for Black people in predominately Black nations. The same for Asians in predominately Asian nations.

It is only in countries where multiculturalism has existed for an extended period that we see any kind of privilege existing. For example, with South Africa, where originally White people discriminated against Blacks, but since the overthrow of white dominance, Black people are discriminating against White people.

The idea of white privilege is limited in scope, and as such, is a tool for race theory, and identity politics. It's agenda driven, as opposed to the realities that exist all around the world.

You benefit as being a native born Irish person, with a number of generations also being born here. Not due to you being white.

They, as Black people, don't... because there are very few Black families with generations of Irish born. It's entirely possible that these Black guys represent that incredibly small number, but probably they don't. When the numbers of Black people have risen significantly, we might see a change in the perceptions of Irish people, as to what automatically constitutes an Irish person (based on appearance), but as I pointed out earlier, the numbers are far too low to make much of an impact. As such, Black people will be seen as foreigners until personal information is released to say otherwise. And.. no.. that's not privilege. It's basic common sense.

No. That's a bias... not privilege.

The child, obviously. On the flip side, try having a mixed child in Africa, while living in Africa, and you... will be the one on the receiving end of discrimination (depending on the actual appearance of the child.. but likely both the child and the parents would receive discrimination as a result of the choices of the parents)

The problem with your logic is that you completely ignore how the rest of the world is. You're holding western nations, and western people to some higher standard... when the west is one of the fairest systems in the world. Where is better? Nowhere.. and if you look at the situation honestly, you'll quickly recognise that non-western nations where multiculturalism is established, tend to have far more privilege, and discrimination assigned along racial lines.

This is the double standards on here.

here we have you getting defensive about making assumptions on skin color, and berating another member what what perceive he was doing.

I never made any assumptions about any skin colour, so it's honestly baffling that you're asking me that question when you should be directing it at the poster you called for the black lads to be 'deported'.

but you have no problem throwing out disgusting blanket statements like this, where you have no problem making assumptions if their skin color is white

for the simple reason that they are white and white people, as a race, have historically been the ones who discriminate .

I, as a white person, benefit from white privilege despite the fact I don’t want it. .

I would dearly love to know how you personally have benefited, and why you think because you say you did, everyone else therefore by your logic must have,

Please explain to me how I have gotten white privilege, astound me with your evidence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭biddyearley

As a returned immigrant, and as the offspring of an immigrant, to me it should be "welcome to Ireland, now get with the program." IF you have something positive to bring to the table, all the better.

I recently noticed that the TV license advert had the phrase It's the law in Ireland" reduced to "It's the law". WTF?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭MarkEadie

I browsed through the replies, not sure whose post it was who said this but, it showed how out of touch the poster was. Black teens are widely seen now and nobody considers them not Irish. If you see a group of black or mixed race teens on O Connell St, you don't assume they arrived in Ireland a couple of years ago. You'd assume they were born and bred and that's usually always the case I'd imagine. Very much an out of touch comment by the poster in my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,868 ✭✭✭enricoh

Jaysus, the amount of suckers on here who have been duped into the bullshít of US identity politics and CRT is both sad and worrying for the future.

Read an article in last Sundays Sunday times about White middle class American women paying 6 grand to host a dinner in their own homes with their friends. For 6 grand you get a black woman who talks/ lectures you about white privelige, black struggles etc etc.

Fair play to them, milking eejits for 6k a night - winner winner chicken dinner!

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭ErnestBorgnine

Where the talentless narcissist goes to get their fix. More often than not the the idiot who think's they're the smartest guy in the room.

I, as a white person, benefit from white privilege despite the fact I don’t want it.

I just noticed this post.

It's a special type of linguistic gymnastics you need to possess in order to both play the victim of something you say that is imposed on you against your will, while claiming to have superiority.

I just noticed this post.

It's a special type of linguistic gymnastics you need to possess in order to both play the victim of something you say that is imposed on you against your will, while claiming to have superiority.

I asked him to tell me when this privilege he claims existed, happened to him and to back up his previous claims....but seems intent on avoiding answering

I would dearly love to know how you personally have benefited, and why you think because you say you did, everyone else therefore by your logic must have,

Well... the truth is that we have benefited. Being western, and to a lesser extent European does bring all manner of benefits just because we're born into such a civilisation. However, it's the result of being historically more successful than other cultural groups.

We benefit from a system (North European as opposed to Southern European) that is typically anti-corruption. Sure, nepotism continues in some circles, as does corruption, but it's far less than what you'd find in non-western nations. European countries also tend to be far safer than other nations, excepting the capital cities, but even then, they tend to be safer overall. And then, there's the standardisation of education both from Imperial times, and the EU, which has provided a solid basis for advancement. And I could go on. There's heaps of examples where we benefit from being westerners.

Which is why foreigners want to come here. They want those advantages.. The problem with privilege though, is that it dumb's down the differences between the west and other non-western civilisations, or cultural groups, and even more importantly the reasons why those differences exist. It seeks to excuse the failures of other nations in producing the range of benefits that being European provides us (in a modern context).

White privilege is a tool for the lazy and the ignorant, because they're unwilling to appreciate the complexities of the world. Yes, being Black in a predominately Asian or White nation brings disadvantages. But then, so too does being White in a predominately Asian or Black nation. In a predominately white nation, white people don't have privilege, because they're competing against other white people.

However, people like the poster above don't want to face these realities because they want to champion a cause, irrespective of the realities.

MarkEadie wrote: »
    I browsed through the replies, not sure whose post it was who said this but, it showed how out of touch the poster was. Black teens are widely seen now and nobody considers them not Irish. If you see a group of black or mixed race teens on O Connell St, you don't assume they arrived in Ireland a couple of years ago. You'd assume they were born and bred and that's usually always the case I'd imagine. Very much an out of touch comment by the poster in my view.

Scroll back... and check the percentage of the population that is Black.

Black teenagers aren't automatically assumed to be Irish. Can you provide any evidence to the contrary?

Because common sense suggests black people. as an extreme minority, and also, Ireland as a nation with relatively little immigration until the 80s, the perception would be that they (these black people) are immigrants themselves.

Rather than claim that a poster is out of touch.. you could try to counter what they said. As things stand, it's your opinion against mine, and the statistics support my opinion. What supports yours>?

And I want to be squeaky clean here. The fact that my daughter is mixed race does not mean that I am not a racist.

The fact that I treat everyone the same regardless of their ethnicity makes me not a racist.

People who treat people differently because of their race are the racists.

If they believe their heart is in the right place doesn't make a difference

Well... the truth is that we have benefited. .

This is not true.

I have never benefited because I am white.If I got any benefits for being Irish, then that is a birthplace issue not a skin color one.

Were I born black blue or green in this country I would have still got the same Irish advantages.

so it is NOT white privilege, is an Irish one, and to a greater extent a first world privilege, calling that white privilege shows ignorance by the people who claim this racist anti white term exists,

• Advertisement

This is not true.

Note the words I used. I didn't say that we benefited from being white.

And yes, I essentially said that white privilege was idiotic.

Dunno why you're objecting to what I wrote... since it supports your pov. :D

Advertisement