Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Time to start deporting those who live here as a result of an application but behave like this

https://twitter.com/dubslife1/status/1401881725727301638?s=19

Dublin or Little London? G’wan de multiculturlism.

Gaggle of local geese snapping up the ringside seats..

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

bubblypop wrote: »
    Even though this particular thread appears to be far more of an anti asylum seeker thread than anything else.

This thread has rarely been anti genuine asylum seeker. It has been anti bogus asylum seeker. There's a big difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭Cordell

Bobblehats wrote: »
    Dublin or Little London? G’wan de multiculturlism.

Gaggle of local geese snapping up the ringside seats..

Nothing to see here, I don't get the point. It's not like they're the only type of immigrants having gang fights in broad daylight in the city centre. I think polish people outnumber them 10:1 or more, so I'm sure there were tens of polish gang fights that went unreported.

MarkEadie wrote: »
    Correct. A lot of the posts from the anti immigration side are just not worthy of response I feel, which is a shame. Its a little bit like reviewing a product. The majority of people who review are usually the ones who complain. You can't really get a reasonable discussion going with people who want to set up their own parties against immigration as I've seen in a couple of posts. Then there were the emails to the TDs :D

You've really hoisted yourself up onto some sort of righteous virtue signaling mantle. You truly are one of the good ones....

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Out of curiosity, how many asylum seekers are resident in Ireland at the moment?

• Advertisement

Cordell wrote: »
    Nothing to see here, I don't get the point. It's not like they're the only type of immigrants having gang fights in broad daylight in the city centre. I think polish people outnumber them 10:1 or more, so I'm sure there were tens of polish gang fights that went unreported.

They may not even be fighting; to me it’s just such a surreal sight on Ireland’s streets regardless.

Yep :rolleyes: I’m that resident racist…

Well, you'd better get used to it :)

Well, you'd better get used to it :)

Ah, listen I’m stuck in the past :o I like the classics!

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

MarkEadie wrote: »
    Yeah it seems very strange to argue for deporting citizens born and bred here which may be the case for the lads in the video above.

They’re black you see, therefore they’re dirty foreigners and not ‘real’ Irish.

Funny those just shouting deport all of them and ‘house our own first’ seem to forget that Irish people were the ones in these positions not so very long ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Faugheen wrote: »

Funny those just shouting deport all of them and ‘house our own first’ seem to forget that Irish people were the ones in these positions not so very long ago.

The position of seeking asylum or the position of emigrating?

• Advertisement

Their skin colour is not the issue.
    The fact that such a small minority manages to get themselves into the news so often and almost never for good reasons, is.

Their skin colour is not the issue.
    The fact that such a small minority manages to get themselves into the news so often and almost never for good reasons, is.

Actually the poster put up a video of black people fighting and immediately said they should be deported even though there is every chance they are Irish.

And you’re here telling me it had nothing to do with their skin colour?

What is the basis for assuming they were immigrants then if it isn’t their skin colour? This should be very interesting to see how you talk your way around this one.

Actually the poster put up a video of black people fighting and immediately said they should be deported even though there is every chance they are Irish.

And you’re here telling me it had nothing to do with their skin colour?

What is the basis for assuming they were immigrants then if it isn’t their skin colour? This should be very interesting to see how you talk your way around this one.

Why don't you ask the poster of the video then?
    I made a different point in the post you quoted - do you have a problem with that as well, or do you agree with me?

Ireland is still a predominately white nation, and the arrival of Black people into Ireland is still a relatively new change. It's perfectly reasonable to make the association between Black people and being foreign.

They could be Irish born. That's true.. second generation. Unlikely to be third generation. They could, just as easily, not be Irish though.

When? Were Irish people given financial and social supports? I can't recall any period in modern history (not so long ago) when Irish people were supported in such a manner.. nor received such a welcome from any government.

So what?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Ireland is still a predominately white nation, and the arrival of Black people into Ireland is still a relatively new change. It's perfectly reasonable to make the association between Black people and being foreign.

They could be Irish born. That's true.. second generation. Unlikely to be third generation. They could, just as easily, not be Irish though.

When? Were Irish people given financial and social supports? I can't recall any period in modern history (not so long ago) when Irish people were supported in such a manner.. nor received such a welcome from any government.

Civilisations may fall, the world may burn, but klaz will still be on boards making the same argument for the thousandth time :pac:

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

You've a great habit of putting words in peoples mouths, something the honest don't need to do. I think you know though, deep down, that we'd deport every native Irish scumbag too if we could. It's suit you to ignore this though, so you can keep banging your "racism" drum.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

Why don't you ask the poster of the video then?
    I made a different point in the post you quoted - do you have a problem with that as well, or do you agree with me?

What does your point have to do with anything I have said, then?

You've spoken about skin colour not being the issue, when I was responding to a post where the poster made an assumption about someone based on their skin colour.

Now you're trying to move away from that clearly and throw something at me that I never referenced.

Distract, deflect, deny, dismiss. Go away.

TomTomTim wrote: »
    You've a great habit of putting words in peoples mouths, something the honest don't need to do. I think you know though, deep down, that we'd deport every native Irish scumbag too if we could. It's suit you to ignore this though, so you can keep banging your "racism" drum.

That poster made an assumption about someone based on their skin colour.

What would you call that? Should we assume all black people are foreigners, then?

Again, you're highlighting the wrong issue here.

What would you call that? Should we assume all black people are foreigners, then?

I don't see why not, until actual evidence to the contrary arises. It's not racist to do so, but rather common sense, due to the demographics of the country.

The population of Black people in Ireland is only at 1.4 %.

[Irish 82.2%, Irish travelers 0.7%, other white 9.5%, Asian 2.1%, black 1.4%, other 1.5%, unspecified 2.6%]

Ireland is still a predominately white nation. If you saw some white people fighting would you automatically assume that they were Irish? even though they could be Polish (other white at 9.5%).

• Advertisement

You've spoken about skin colour not being the issue, when I was responding to a post where the poster made an assumption about someone based on their skin colour.

Now you're trying to move away from that clearly and throw something at me that I never referenced.

You are the one deflecting. Even if the assumption based of the skin colour is wrong it's still a very minor issue. Even if the poster is racist, it's still a minor issue.
    The big issue is racially homogenous gangs fighting and these gangs are made of people from a very small community. If this problem is not acknowledged it will only get worse. For everyone involved, especially for the said community.

And please don't put me in my place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Shebean

Three generations of a Muslim family out for a Sunday evening walk, mowed down and killed by a racist in a pickup truck. Canada, the other day.
    If it were a Muslim running down a Christian family it would be headline news around the world with all sorts of Facebook flag profiles.
    No threads on this. All we get is racism passing as multicultural debate or concern.
    That's my view of multicultural debate, rife with bigots looking for a platform on the 'new Irish' and so on.

If you saw some white people fighting would you automatically assume that they were Irish? even though they could be Polish (other white at 9.5%).

No, I wouldn't make any assumptions for the very reason that you have highlighted and I have no idea why you're asking me that question.

I never made any assumptions about any skin colour, so it's honestly baffling that you're asking me that question when you should be directing it at the poster you called for the black lads to be 'deported'.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭MarkEadie

Agree with you here. If they are black they are not Irish seemed to be the inference.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭MarkEadie

No, I wouldn't make any assumptions for the very reason that you have highlighted and I have no idea why you're asking me that question.

I never made any assumptions about any skin colour, so it's honestly baffling that you're asking me that question when you should be directing it at the poster you called for the black lads to be 'deported'.

If I'm following along with the argument it was that seemingly it's OK to call for them to be deported because they are black and its OK to assume they are not Irish. Seems quite ridiculous I must say. I could see that being extremely offensive to some.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

so you are complaining someone else might get offended ?

That poster made an assumption about someone based on their skin colour.

What would you call tha?.

Well at least we are getting somewhere.

I take it from your indignant reply you also feverishly and fervently oppose the idea of white privilege

This skin deep reference. Very shallow to me, let me ask you if you spot an albino african (easier said than done) do you assume they are Caucasian? And these africans; even when reared here often sounding like London if not by way of Nigeria do you assume they are Irish?! ..if it not only looks like a duck but you happen to hear it quack like a duck too. Do you take it for something else altogether?

Looks like a duck, quacks like a duck but as it happens to be born in a stable it's a horse, of course.

• Advertisement

I rest my case.

Advertisement