Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reeling In The Years

Options

Comments

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Waay too much of the pope visit to Ireland in tonight's episode. Made it seem like a much, much bigger deal than it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,050 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

5/7

That fella saying he likes Ireland but he wants to leave is a mildy famous rapper called Fredro Starr, I remember Sean Moncrieff chatting to him at the time, he seemed fairly eccentric, also I was outside a SuperValu the evening the storm hit and a breadman wheeled a trolley full of bread into the carpark, people swarmed around him and it was empty within 5 minutes, madness.

Have to say I'm struggling to remember anything from 2019, feels like a lot longer than 2 years ago.

Our over reaction to a bit of snow is shocking. I think half of the bread thing was just people wanting drama and to be seen a bit like the current Penneys queues

You could start queues like that here any time by just telling a couple of people there's a shortage of something. We're absolute panic merchants.

You could start queues like that here any time by just telling a couple of people there's a shortage of something. We're absolute panic merchants.

The fella with the Stetson and your wan shouting at the counter for the Brooks tickets are the perfect example of the Irish drama queen

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭crooked cockney villain

I wonder will the 2019 episode end with "December- hundreds of people in Wuhan, China, fall ill to an unknown virus. The event goes largely unnoticed by the wider world"

An eerie end to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Kunta Kinte

I wonder will the 2019 episode end with "December- hundreds of people in Wuhan, China, fall ill to an unknown virus. The event goes largely unnoticed by the wider world"

An eerie end to it.

I think the 2019 edition will end with the Dublin footballers 5 in a row All Ireland title win.

I think the 2019 edition will end with the Dublin footballers 5 in a row All Ireland title win.

I think China officially announced it was a new virus on December 31st so it will end on that.

There was a year I think it was the phone hacking scandal or Brian Lenihans presidential run where they left an open question and then faded to black. That's what I think we will get

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭External Association

breezy1985 wrote: »
    I think China officially announced it was a new virus on December 31st so it will end on that.

There was a year I think it was the phone hacking scandal or Brian Lenihans presidential run where they left an open question and then faded to black. That's what I think we will get

Sam Smyth etc asking who the person who got more than Michael Lowry from Ben Dunne was. Gerry Ryan asking etc. Mentioned that even the dogs in the street knew. Sam Smyth's daughter. To the background of Blur's Charmless Man.

Our over reaction to a bit of snow is shocking. I think half of the bread thing was just people wanting drama and to be seen a bit like the current Penneys queues

There was very little snow in Limerick. But in the eastern half of the country some of the heaviest falls since 1982. From a meteorological point of view it was a once in 40/50 year event.

Many people in rural areas were unable to leave their homes for up to 8 days. The disruption in getting water to animals etc. What made it more remarkable was it happened at the end of February beginning of March. We're not Canada, we don't have the infrastructure to deal with such events.

'bit of snow' is well off the mark on many levels. The whole bread crap was just another social media sideshow. Rte and the media turned it into this 'bread' crisis which was just BS.

There was very little snow in Limerick. But in the eastern half of the country some of the heaviest falls since 1982. From a meteorological point of view it was a once in 40/50 year event.

Many people in rural areas were unable to leave their homes for up to 8 days. The disruption in getting water to animals etc. What made it more remarkable was it happened at the end of February beginning of March. We're not Canada, we don't have the infrastructure to deal with such events.

'bit of snow' is well off the mark on many levels. The whole bread crap was just another social media sideshow. Rte and the media turned it into this 'bread' crisis which was just BS.

I get that some people in rural areas had serious trouble but the idea that supermarkets were running out of food was a serious over reaction and so was the cities shutting down despite the weather not being that bad.

I was in London at the time and it was as bad. People panicking about not being able to get to work over a few cm of snow and going on about blitz spirit

• Advertisement

I get that some people in rural areas had serious trouble but the idea that supermarkets were running out of food was a serious over reaction and so was the cities shutting down despite the weather not being that bad.

I was in London at the time and it was as bad. People panicking about not being able to get to work over a few cm of snow and going on about blitz spirit

The supermarket stuff was media spin.

It was that bad. It wasn't a few cm of snow. There was 30cm at Casement etc. And London has a totally different climate than Ireland, they frequently tap into cold snowy continental easterlies and are prepared for such.

Saying we got a few cm of snow is displaying a lot of ignorance on the event.

Blitz spirit? Never heard that once. No one said it was war. You're making stuff up. And you weren't here.

The supermarket stuff was media spin.

It was that bad. It wasn't a few cm of snow. There was 30cm at Casement etc. And London has a totally different climate than Ireland, they frequently tap into cold snowy continental easterlies and are prepared for such.

Saying we got a few cm of snow is displaying a lot of ignorance on the event.

Blitz spirit? Never heard that once. No one said it was war. You're making stuff up. And you weren't here.

The blitz spirit thing was about London you didn't hear it because you weren't there. Also London are not at all properly prepared for snow.

Fair enough if the bread stuff was media spin all I had to go off was the media and what I was hearing from people back home who are the ones telling me it wasn't bad in the cities at least.

I have been in Ireland for snow before this one though and there was massive over reaction those times too. And I was here

The blitz spirit thing was about London you didn't hear it because you weren't there. Also London are not at all properly prepared for snow.

Fair enough if the bread stuff was media spin all I had to go off was the media and what I was hearing from people back home who are the ones telling me it wasn't bad in the cities at least.

I have been in Ireland for snow before this one though and there was massive over reaction those times too. And I was here

You're just wrong. Record breaking snowfall event across half the country. Not a 5cm yellow warning event. Totals over 50 cm in parts, drifting for days.

And you want more on Limerick breakthrough since 1973! Which effected one sport in one county!

You're just wrong. Record breaking snowfall event across half the country. Not a 5cm yellow warning event. Totals over 50 cm in parts, drifting for days.

And you want more on Limerick breakthrough since 1973! Which effected one sport in one county!

Did you slip in the snow or something that year ?
    Or were you the Brooks lad in the Stetson and I've upset you ?

You don't slip in drifts. Lol

You're wrong on the record snowfall. Get over it. Childish crap now.

I slipped in the snow that year and it wasn't even snowing much my part of the country!

It was serious weather, though. The Zoo did a special episode about it. It's worth watching. I had forgotten how nasty it really was at the time.

You're wrong on the record snowfall. Get over it. Childish crap now.

Still think there is massive overreaction to snow in this country like I said earlier. And you can slip in a drift do you really think ice is the only thing people slip on. Lol

Still think there is massive overreaction to snow in this country like I said earlier. And you can slip in a drift do you really think ice is the only thing people slip on. Lol

You haven't a clue.

The question isn't whether there's a major reaction to snow it's about the 2018 event being extreme for Ireland and worthy of inclusion on RIY.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,827 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I see RTE1 have a show on this evening called "RTE News Review Of The Year 2020", it's on for an hour, looks like an expanded version of Reeling In The Years.

• Advertisement

You haven't a clue.

The question isn't whether there's a major reaction to snow it's about the 2018 event being extreme for Ireland and worthy of inclusion on RIY.

Oh I'm all for it being on RITY. I just think all those people screaming for bread are muppets

• Registered Users Posts: 10,138 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

I see RTE1 have a show on this evening called "RTE News Review Of The Year 2020", it's on for an hour, looks like an expanded version of Reeling In The Years.

I watched that. Quite good. More time to take things in.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,620 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

There is always a big over reaction to weather events and its mainly led by the media. Its not unique to Ireland either, when weather events happen anywhere everything closes down so the media have no politics to report on, no sports at play so the only thing the have to cover is the weather. And because of the uncertainty outside peoples doors everyone tunes in. Then it gets amplified by social media as well which blows it up further, thats where you get everyone taking and sharing photos of empty bread shelves to spread the panic further.

But in terms of the snow event being talked about here- it was a big one,perhaps a once in 30 or 40 year event. I was in Dublin and we had 40cm in the back garden for 4/5 days and roads all around were impassable. Some people in west Wicklow were stuck in their houses for almost 10 days. It ground the economy to a halt for several days in most places. That is a significant event worthy of coverage on RITY.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    There is always a big over reaction to weather events and its mainly led by the media. Its not unique to Ireland either, when weather events happen anywhere everything closes down so the media have no politics to report on, no sports at play so the only thing the have to cover is the weather. And because of the uncertainty outside peoples doors everyone tunes in. Then it gets amplified by social media as well which blows it up further, thats where you get everyone taking and sharing photos of empty bread shelves to spread the panic further.

But in terms of the snow event being talked about here- it was a big one,perhaps a once in 30 or 40 year event. I was in Dublin and we had 40cm in the back garden for 4/5 days and roads all around were impassable. Some people in west Wicklow were stuck in their houses for almost 10 days. It ground the economy to a halt for several days in most places. That is a significant event worthy of coverage on RITY.

Yes it is an event worthy of RITY I agree

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

5/7

That fella saying he likes Ireland but he wants to leave is a mildy famous rapper called Fredro Starr, I remember Sean Moncrieff chatting to him at the time, he seemed fairly eccentric, .

He also played Q in Moesha

I think that was on in January, a bank holiday filler repeat.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 315 ✭✭coinop

Did they really waste time showing women's hockey? A new low for the series. I doubt it would even make it into most people's top 100 memorable events of 2018. This politically correct madness needs to stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Muahahaha wrote: »

although calling it an all ireland event was pushing it my OH drove from donegal to sligo and didnt see any snow she didnt have they radio and didnt realize her workplace was closed.

coinop wrote: »
    Did they really waste time showing women's hockey? A new low for the series. I doubt it would even make it into most people's top 100 memorable events of 2018. This politically correct madness needs to stop.

You're kidding, they made the world cup final having gone in as the second lowest rated team. I have never watched a hockey match in my life and I bet many are the same but people will always remember that!

• Advertisement

You're kidding, they made the world cup final having gone in as the second lowest rated team. I have never watched a hockey match in my life and I bet many are the same but people will always remember that!

Ignore him he comes on with this WUM edgelord crap every week

Advertisement