Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reeling In The Years

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

I think the 2019 edition will end with the Dublin footballers 5 in a row All Ireland title win.

nah 2019 will end with Gay Byrne's death. A real bookend to the decade I think

• Registered Users Posts: 10,298 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Or the first news on the coronavirus, when it emerged

I think that covid will be alluded to by a guy going into the bathroom in the diner while we are all sitting down to our family meals with "Don't Stop Believing" playing in the background
    Then scene fades to black.
    End credits.

Just had to resurrect this gem of a post from page 1 of the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,771 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Just had to resurrect this gem of a post from page 1 of the thread.

Ha brilliant. Maybe a bat on the plate for added symbolism too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,397 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

If it doesn't end with the covid news I'll eat my face. Its set up perfectly, "in December, a virus is discovered in China with possible worldwide implications" fade to black.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Kunta Kinte

If it doesn't end with the covid news I'll eat my face. Its set up perfectly, "in December, a virus is discovered in China with possible worldwide implications" fade to black.

Will it though? Covid didn`t really become a massive issue at least in this part of the world until Jan/Feb 2020. It might barely get a mention or even not feature at all in the 2019 edition.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Will it though? Covid didn`t really become a massive issue at least in this part of the world until Jan/Feb 2020. It might barely get a mention or even not feature at all in the 2019 edition.

Previous decades of RITY had years ending with ominous news about the likes of Charlie Haugheys past financial dealings or the impending economic meltdown etc.

It's likely they'll end the last programme with something like Rocketraccoon's quote.

velo.2010 wrote: »
    Previous decades of RITY had years ending with ominous news about the likes of Charlie Haugheys past financial dealings or the impending economic meltdown etc.

It's likely they'll end the last programme with something like Rocketraccoon's quote.

Maybe, maybe not. Anyway we will find out next Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Hope they don't have Covid in the last episode. It wasn't really in the news until early 2020, so it'd be a bit fake to put it in as if it were a news story that year.

My predictions for 2019:
    Post Malone - Circles to soundtrack some politician: "We're running in circles". If they misbehave, Billie Eilish - Bad Guy. If they resign Lewis Capaldi - Someone you loved.
    Gay Byrne's death to get several minutes of coverage. They only seem to exclude their no obituaries rule, when it's a major head of state or RTE presenter.
    Ana Kreigal trial will get no mention. I don't ever recall them covering crime that didn't involve a major public figure.
    A tragic event soundtracked by an Irish singer nobody has ever heard of singing a dreary ballad.
    Japan beating Ireland in the Rugby World Cup.
    The biggest hit of the year Lil Nas X - Old Town Road won't be featured, and people will come on here and complain, even though it really wouldn't have suited any clip in the show.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,342 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Was covid even reported in our media at the end of 2019? First thread on here wasn't started in until end of January iirc, also the Irish Times didn't write their first article about it until mid January. I imagine it got some form of brief mention in some throrowaway articles, murmurings of a few people hospitalised in China with 'pneumonia'.

If it does get a mention personally I think it might be the second last thing to be mentioned, and perhaps end with something a bit more positive/uplifting? Might be too bleak otherwise, although right now I think they won't mention it at all.

• Advertisement

Blisterman wrote: »
    Hope they don't have Covid in the last episode. It wasn't really in the news until early 2020, so it'd be a bit fake to put it in as if it were a news story that year.

My predictions for 2019:
    Post Malone - Circles to soundtrack some politician: "We're running in circles". If they misbehave, Billie Eilish - Bad Guy. If they resign Lewis Capaldi - Someone you loved.
    Gay Byrne's death to get several minutes of coverage. They only seem to exclude their no obituaries rule, when it's a major head of state or RTE presenter.
    Ana Kreigal trial will get no mention. I don't ever recall them covering crime that didn't involve a major public figure.
    A tragic event soundtracked by an Irish singer nobody has ever heard of singing a dreary ballad.
    The biggest hit of the year Lil Nas X - Old Town Road won't be featured, and people will come on here and complain, even though it really wouldn't have suited any clip in the show.

Just heard that song for the first time but thats no indication of its popularity thats just me

Blisterman wrote: »

My predictions for 2019:

Boris Johnson becoming British prime minister and the UK general election and the Brexit shenanigans in Westminster will feature in the 2019 edition. The Maria Bailey swing gate affair and her car crash interview with Sean O`Rourke should also feature.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,323 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

It’s hard to know but I suppose Covid was the biggest thing to start of in the 2010’s.
    It wasn’t overly reported until January tough.

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Just heard that song for the first time but thats no indication of its popularity thats just me

I remember it being mentioned all the time as being this massive craze, but still not sure if I've heard it!

I remember it being mentioned all the time as being this massive craze, but still not sure if I've heard it!

I noticed the black urban cowboy had become a thing but never knew of the song or the fact that Billy Rae was still making music.

Seeing as it's about cowboys I hope its used for Eoghan Murphy

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

I'm guessing they might finish it with the Australian wildfires, I remember it being in the news on New Years Eve.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭SPDUB

Was covid even reported in our media at the end of 2019? First thread on here wasn't started in until end of January iirc, also the Irish Times didn't write their first article about it until mid January. I imagine it got some form of brief mention in some throrowaway articles, murmurings of a few people hospitalised in China with 'pneumonia'.

I have a recording from about 2am 5th January where a new "flu" was mentioned on the news ticker of a foreign news channel ( it may have been on the bulletin itself but I only recorded 5 minutes of it )

SPDUB wrote: »
    I have a recording from about 2am 5th January where a new "flu" was mentioned on the news ticker of a foreign news channel ( it may have been on the bulletin itself but I only recorded 5 minutes of it )

I seem to remember reading that the Chinese officially announced they had confirmed a new Covid strain on 31st December

• Registered Users Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

breezy1985 wrote: »
    I seem to remember reading that the Chinese officially announced they had confirmed a new Covid strain on 31st December

Don't they have a different New Year?

Yeah they do. The date varies from year to year and in 2020 was 25th January. Covid was not really a huge story at all in 2019 not outside China anyway.

• Advertisement

Covid was not really a huge story at all in 2019

Yeah, but loads of the stuff shown in RITY has not really been a huge story.

There's no way, considering how massive an issue Coronavirus turned out to be, that they wouldn't touch on it to finish the series. I think it'd be very foolish to not have it as the finale, knowing what we know now.

Ya but whats that got to do with anything

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,342 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Yeah, but loads of the stuff shown in RITY has not really been a huge story.

There's no way, considering how massive an issue Coronavirus turned out to be, that they wouldn't touch on it to finish the series. I think it'd be very foolish to not have it as the finale, knowing what we know now.

Going by some of the startling omissions that have been made this series, I wouldn't be in any way surprised if they don't include it.

Going by some of the startling omissions that have been made this series, I wouldn't be in any way surprised if they don't include it.

Going by the RTE iistings, what will be covered for certain in the 2019 edition of RITY is Trump`s visit to Ireland and Shane Lowry`s victory in the Open Golf Championship. The All Ireland finals and in particular the Dublin footballers` 5 in a row title will also obviously be featured. Beyond that we will find out tonight what will and will not be included.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,394 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

2019 was very much a year of bad and negative news.....if you go by this episode of RITY

• Registered Users Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭touts

Will they finish the series on a cliff hanger.

Reports of a virus emerge in China......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭External Association

Covid really silenced climate change. Interesting to see if it takes centre stage soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,394 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

touts wrote: »
    Will they finish the series on a cliff hanger.

Reports of a virus emerge in China......

As expected.....Yes

Lots going on in 2019. Episode finished as expected too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,298 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I knew it would end on the first reports of the virus in the early stages

Advertisement