Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reeling In The Years

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,151 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Its amazing that some of these stuff were only 2 years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

The thing I remember about about the 8th Amendment referendum. Is how unequivocal it was passed compared to the equal marriage. 66% was a landslide.

Thank god the repeal jumpers came and went. I support it but they were a sure fire way to inform myself to avoid somebody.

Rolling Stones were better at Croke Park that year than the Pope

It’s amazing how much of a non event the Pope’s visit was. I can count one hand the amount of people I know that attended events.

Completely forget Gallagher ran again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭External Association

I don't drink, I don't smoke and I have a yoga teacher :D

Best show of the decade so far for me. Helped by a few big hits we all know.

FFS no mention of the Rugby team beating the All Blacks in Dublin for the first time ever. Proudly attended that game, magic atmosphere

One more episode to go, will it end with a Covid related scene ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,421 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

PTH2009 wrote: »
    FFS no mention of the Rugby team beating the All Blacks in Dublin for the first time ever. Proudly attended that game, magic atmosphere

Wasn’t it December 2019 the cases began in Wuhan?
    Would say they will definitely include Covid next week alright

You’d imagine they’ll have the rumblings of a mysterious virus in Asia as the closing bit to the episode.

• Advertisement

When they put in 2016 you weren't going to get the two. Especially as both the first, France, and last, England, games of the Grand Slam were shown.

If it happened in any other year bar the Grand Slam year it probably would be on. Ire v England and v NZ in 2018 are two of our best ever performances.

When I see Gordon Hamilton in 1991 it annoys me, 3 min to defend a lead and we couldn't see it out!

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Brendan Filone

Very surprised that there was no mention of Dolores O'Riordan's death or the Belfast rape trial.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,284 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

They really milked the pope bit tonight and would have preferred the time used on the election.

The backstop bit was well done and made me laugh a bit. May will surely go down as one of the most widely unpopular PMs ever. The forgotten pothole on the road to Johnson.

Could have given just a little more context to that years hurling championship too and how big a story Limerick winning was but maybe I'm biased

Very surprised that there was no mention of Dolores O'Riordan's death or the Belfast rape trial.

Ya the deaths rarely get a mention but I thought it might get in as part of the hurling highlights.

Didn't realize the trial was that year felt more recent

• Registered Users Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭its_steve116

Phil Lynott and Rory Gallagher's passing isn't mentioned in the 1983 or 1995 episode.

Phil Lynott and Rory Gallagher's passing isn't mentioned in the 1983 or 1995 episode.

Someone had a long list a few weeks back. Its very rare and Bowie and the lads only got in this season because it was such a story how so many died at the same time

Phil Lynotts death is mentioned and they show footage of his funeral in the 1986 episode

• Registered Users Posts: 30,426 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

When I see Keelin Shanley I always think of the day of the General Election and how the World went a bit crazy a few weeks later!

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Kunta Kinte

Phil Lynotts death is mentioned and they show footage of his funeral in the 1986 episode

Was that in the DVD boxset version of the 1980s? Because there was no mention of Lynott`s death in the original broadcast version.

Was that in the DVD boxset version of the 1980s? Because there was no mention of Lynott`s death in the original broadcast version.

Think I'm after mixing it up with one of the lizzy documentarys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,988 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Didn't think they would show Peter Casey's complete domination of the presidential election amongst the contenders.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,636 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

yeah surprised there was no mention of o'Rioirdans death given she was so young and known globally and the tragic nature of it all

As for the rape trial, I dont think they normally show stuff from the courts? Was there mention of Graham Dwyers murder trial in the 2015 episode?

Muahahaha wrote: »
    yeah surprised there was no mention of o'Rioirdans death given she was so young and known globally and the tragic nature of it all

As for the rape trial, I dont think they normally show stuff from the courts? Was there mention of Graham Dwyers murder trial in the 2015 episode?

I wonder if they will mention Boy A and Boy B's trial for the murder of Ana Kreigel, next week? As Ana was murdered in 2018 and the boys on trial in '19. Though the series may have been in production while the law was in place not allowing child murder victims to be named, so for that reason alone probably not.

I wonder if they will mention Boy A and Boy B's trial for the murder of Ana Kreigel, next week? As Ana was murdered in 2018 and the boys on trial in '19. Though the series may have been in production while the law was in place not allowing child murder victims to be named, so for that reason alone probably not.

yeah the murder of Ana Kriegel was a big event too as was the Graham Dwyer murder trial. But Im just wondering does RITY cover big criminal trials at all? I cant recall if its a topic theyve covered in previous series but from memory I dont think theyve really gone down that road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

yeah the murder of Ana Kriegel was a big event too as was the Graham Dwyer murder trial. But Im just wondering does RITY cover big criminal trials at all? I cant recall if its a topic theyve covered in previous series but from memory I dont think theyve really gone down that road.

Malcolm McArthur in 1982 is one that comes to mind, although that had a hefty political angle to inclusion as well. Brilliant use of Private Investigations by Dire Straits.

"It's a mystery to me
    The game commences
    For the usual fee
    Plus expenses

Confidential information
    It's in a diary
    This is my investigation
    It's not a public inquiry

I go checking out the reports
    Digging up the dirt
    You get to meet all sorts
    In this line of work

Treachery and treason
    There's always an excuse for it
    And when I find the reason
    I still can't get used to it
    "

The only one I recall was OJ Simpson which was obviously different, it was on scale with Big Brother or something similar!

Yeah I might be wrong but I think in general they stay away from criminal trials, at least Irish ones. I remember the OJ clips and they have also covered the trial of Saddam Hussein and the Serbian general Radovan Karadzic who commited genocide in the Yugoslav war. They have covered some Irish court stuff like Michael Lowry, Denis oBrien, the tribunals, etc but I cant remember them covering high profile criminal trials in the show. Im pretty sure they didnt show anything about the Graham Dwyer trial in the 2015 show even though that had the nation gripped and was headline news for the best part of three months that year.

Yeah I might be wrong but I think in general they stay away from criminal trials, at least Irish ones. I remember the OJ clips and they have also covered the trial of Saddam Hussein and the Serbian general Radovan Karadzic who commited genocide in the Yugoslav war. They have covered some Irish court stuff like Michael Lowry, Denis oBrien, the tribunals, etc but I cant remember them covering high profile criminal trials in the show. Im pretty sure they didnt show anything about the Graham Dwyer trial in the 2015 show even though that had the nation gripped and was headline news for the best part of three months that year.

No, no Graham Dwyer in the 2015 show.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,227 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

I'd forgotten about that Irnazi bollix going for the presidency. Didn't he have plans to start his own political party or something after his failure to be elected?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Next week I'll guess:

Snow storm in March
    Belfast rape trial
    Derry Girls
    Ireland Grand Slam
    Dolores O'Riordan's death
    More Trump buffoonery
    Presidential election

5/7

That fella saying he likes Ireland but he wants to leave is a mildy famous rapper called Fredro Starr, I remember Sean Moncrieff chatting to him at the time, he seemed fairly eccentric, also I was outside a SuperValu the evening the storm hit and a breadman wheeled a trolley full of bread into the carpark, people swarmed around him and it was empty within 5 minutes, madness.

Have to say I'm struggling to remember anything from 2019, feels like a lot longer than 2 years ago.

Advertisement