Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reeling In The Years

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭External Association

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Never knew Big Tom or Something Happens were an international hit. All that rock music in the 60s and 70s shows wasnt actually popular back then either

Do you understand what the word 'majority' means?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

Never knew Big Tom or Something Happens were an international hit. All that rock music in the 60s and 70s shows wasnt actually popular back then either

Both were far, far (and in Big Tom terms, add a few more "fars"!) more popular in the respective timeframes than Damian Dempsey. And that's allowing for the fact that the Damian Dempsey song selected wasn't a hit at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,138 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

I'm thinking of making a RITY bingo. Every week it's the same stuff and "they didn't play the popular song" is top of the lisr

At least we won't have the Conor McGregor fans moaning this week.

Ha! I'm not a McGregor fan, but I thought the editing stitched him up nicely enough.

druss wrote: »
    Ha! I'm not a McGregor fan, but I thought the editing stitched him up nicely enough.

I'm not a McGregor fan either but his first mention of the decade is a loss. Like him or loathe him he was huge internationally in the 2010s.

A clip from the Toy Show of a UN dad coming home for Christmas is the dumbing down of a year's highlights to RTE canteen selected clips of their shows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,050 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Now he has been on I hope we can see the bus assault at UFC and also his day in a court in Dublin

Both were far, far (and in Big Tom terms, add a few more "fars"!) more popular in the respective timeframes than Damian Dempsey. And that's allowing for the fact that the Damian Dempsey song selected wasn't a hit at all.

Big Tom was popular but the other Tom is a nobody as a musician for anyone wasnt around for the exact few years his band was

Big Tom was popular but the other Tom is a nobody as a musician for anyone wasnt around for the exact few years his band was

Tom Dunne of Something Happens will be know long after Lyra and yer wan who's name began with S that was on last week will ever be spoken of.

I take it you were 5 around 1990 when Something Happens were very big here. You may not have been aware.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭timeToLive

reeling is a bit ****e now isn't it? seems like they changed the formula quite a bit for the worse..

Tom Dunne of Something Happens will be know long after Lyra and yer wan who's name began with S that was on last week will ever be spoken of.

I take it you were 5 around 1990 when Something Happens were very big here. You may not have been aware.

I wouldnt be defending Lyra or any of the rest but its not as new a thing as people make out in this show. And Something Happens have already been well forgotten be everyone except some rock fans of a very specific age. Thats the problem here really is that some people who have grown up with RITY think it is made just for them

• Advertisement

I wouldnt be defending Lyra or any of the rest but its not as new a thing as people make out in this show. And Something Happens have already been well forgotten be everyone except some rock fans of a very specific age. Thats the problem here really is that some people who have grown up with RITY think it is made just for them

But at least Something Happens were bigger than Lyra etc in their era.

A majority of people are finding the material for this decade sub standard. You can see by the number of posts.

I’ve been liking it for the most part and you can’t please everyone with selections, but 2017 and all just seem too recent to be doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭Glaceon

I’ll have to go back to 1991 and see if they left out Bryan Adams. Because that’s the equivalent of leaving Despacito out of 2017 (I don’t even like it btw but it’s a glaring omission). I wonder is it down to RTE being broke so they’re focusing on their own material and/or getting stuff on the cheap?

Maybe, but seeing as we are sticking with Something Happens, "Hello, Hello" was no 2 in the charts for a good few weeks. "Parachute" was top 10. Shout out to Larry for confirming. :)

You could make more of a case for having a go at Microdisney, who had a great song in 1987 show, but one which wouldn't have been a big hit. Still charted though.

I'd agree with External Associations general point. Previous series made more of an attempt to capture the general sound of the year, mainly international, some Irish stuff that was topical or became important afterwards.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,127 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Next week I'll guess:

Snow storm in March
    Belfast rape trial
    Derry Girls
    Ireland Grand Slam
    Dolores O'Riordan's death
    More Trump buffoonery
    Presidential election

But at least Something Happens were bigger than Lyra etc in their era.

A majority of people are finding the material for this decade sub standard. You can see by the number of posts.

I think that is massively down to the age of the people watching and posting.

I could not tell you who was bigger as they are both nobodies as far as Im concerned

Maybe, but seeing as we are sticking with Something Happens, "Hello, Hello" was no 2 in the charts for a good few weeks. "Parachute" was top 10. Shout out to Larry for confirming. :)

You could make more of a case for having a go at Microdisney, who had a great song in 1987 show, but one which wouldn't have been a big hit. Still charted though.

I'd agree with External Associations general point. Previous series made more of an attempt to capture the general sound of the year, mainly international, some Irish stuff that was topical or became important afterwards.

Just referencing the charts kind of makes me feel I am right about the age profile of the viewer. Kids who are listening to most of the 10s music especially the later years dont buy music and could not give a toss about the charts so we dont really know how popular the new stuff is unless you can somehow match 80/90s charts to Youtube views and Spotify.

The general sound of the year that RITY showed back in the day is a rosey myth. A lot of those good songs that they play were looked at by your parents generation as crap and probably got nowhere near a radio show at the time

Next week I'll guess:

Snow storm in March
    Belfast rape trial
    Derry Girls
    Ireland Grand Slam
    Dolores O'Riordan's death
    More Trump buffoonery
    Presidential election

They'll probably add the early summer heatwave to the 'weather extremes' of 2018.

And maybe Ireland beating the all blacks again.

Pope's visit.

Just referencing the charts kind of makes me feel I am right about the age profile of the viewer. Kids who are listening to most of the 10s music especially the later years dont buy music and could not give a toss about the charts so we dont really know how popular the new stuff is unless you can somehow match 80/90s charts to Youtube views and Spotify.

The general sound of the year that RITY showed back in the day is a rosey myth. A lot of those good songs that they play were looked at by your parents generation as crap and probably got nowhere near a radio show at the time

Anyone who wants a look can see the international and classic hit elements in previous years.

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/6PJSd5ZMwOwIEyp7UAENqS

This decade has had garbage music. It's not an age question. They are sacrificing major international hits at the expense of native dross in this series. They might aswell play every year's Eurovision entry that failed to get out of the semi finals.

They'll probably add the early summer heatwave to the 'weather extremes' of 2018.

And maybe Ireland beating the all blacks again.

Pope's visit.

Been waiting about 4 seasons now but will finally get to see Limerick win an All Ireland for only the 2nd time in the show

Looking back on the last few weeks the Dubs 6 in a row was a lot closer to being stopped and less inevitable than it feels now

• Advertisement

I mainly referenced the charts for an act in the early 90's series.

I think the artists we are arguing about in the current series wouldn't be knocking it out of the park in terms of Youtube/Spotify streaming either.

I think the problem might be more related to the age profile of the producers. There is an attempt at capturing stuff which they think might be important/relevant and where RTE has ownershop of footage. I don't think it's hitting the mark, but thats a personal view.

And mainly because it is too early to make that call.

Been waiting about 4 seasons now but will finally get to see Limerick win an All Ireland for only the 2nd time in the show

Looking back on the last few weeks the Dubs 6 in a row was a lot closer to being stopped and less inevitable than it feels now

Mayo are probably the second best Gaelic football team of all time. Terrible the way they'll be painted as bottlers.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,371 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

You'll also have the 8th Amendment!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 315 ✭✭coinop

Tommy Tiernan...ugh. Why does RTE insist on forcing him onto our TV screens at every possible opportunity. If the majority of people liked him and thought he was funny, I'd understand. But I don't think they do. Just another example of how out-of-touch RTE is.

coinop wrote: »
    Tommy Tiernan...ugh. Why does RTE insist on forcing him onto our TV screens at every possible opportunity. If the majority of people liked him and thought he was funny, I'd understand. But I don't think they do. Just another example of how out-of-touch RTE is.

I believe his TV show has recently taken over from the late late show in terms of viewership so I think it might be you who is out of touch

• Registered Users Posts: 6,025 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

You are the same poster who could not understand why (or even what!) was the Garth Brooks story being covered in an earlier year!

Some Reeling in The Years episodes show people because of how significant or popular they became later, such as Tommy's current chat show.

I'm actually really surprised how he has managed to reinvent himself as a chat show host. I like him as an actor but have always been surprised by his success as a comedian or host.

I haven't seen much of the show but it looks like he is getting more interesting guests than the Late Late which is now an incredibly safe Graham Norton knock off

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 315 ✭✭coinop

I believe his TV show has recently taken over from the late late show in terms of viewership so I think it might be you who is out of touch

It's quite possible that it's me who is out of touch. After all, I don't even watch RTE as I mentioned previously. However, I'd like to think the Irish set a higher bar for comedy than shouting in an accent and making fun of ethnic minorities and people with Down's Syndrome. If that's your sense of humour, ok, but others will silently judge you for it.

It's quite possible that it's me who is out of touch. After all, I don't even watch RTE as I mentioned previously. However, I'd like to think the Irish set a higher bar for comedy than shouting in an accent and making fun of ethnic minorities and people with Down's Syndrome. If that's your sense of humour, ok, but others will silently judge you for it.

As I said I am surprised he has transformed himself to chat show host successfully. Down Syndrome is unacceptable in most people's eyes but you wouldn't have to look far in public or on Boards to find that most people would get a kick out of traveller jokes.

Hang on if you don't watch RTE how do you know they push the likes of Tiernan so much. You can't know something you don't watch is out of touch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,310 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Enjoyed this weeks episode.
    Some odd song choices, liked hearing Lyra, but must admit never heard the Damien Dempsey one.

The site of that Halawa chancer makes me want to vomit....

Plus McGregor was in it so some of you can stop giving out about him not being covered!

Advertisement