Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reeling In The Years

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,425 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

breezy1985 wrote: »
    I'm actually really surprised how he has managed to reinvent himself as a chat show host. I like him as an actor but have always been surprised by his success as a comedian or host.

I haven't seen much of the show but it looks like he is getting more interesting guests than the Late Late which is now an incredibly safe Graham Norton knock off

One of the main thing Tommy has going for him over Tubridy is he doesn't but in with stupid questions and he let's people talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭crooked cockney villain

Is it just me or are they retroactively highlighting women's sports results that achieved little to no attention back when they occurred, but would get it nowadays? Were the camogie results last night really more prominent in 2017's national psyche than when we pulled off an improbable away 1-0 against a fine Wales team only to throw it away in a, what was it, 5-2 mauling to Denmark at home? Course they weren't.

One episode, 2014 or so, had an Ireland women's rugby result. I honestly can't recall the women's rugby team getting any shade of media coverage until the last two or so years. Same with the women's football team, prior to Stephanie Roche I don't think it got two paragraphs per qualifying match. If even that.

Nowadays sites like 42.ie actively clickbait it by disguising it in a manner suggesting the article is about the men's team.

2017 episode was a bit meh, but RTE can't be blamed for the absolute glut of souless, charmless, forgotten next week pop available this decade.

I agree though, too much music videos and obscure artists on the LLS.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,636 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Looking back on the last few weeks the Dubs 6 in a row was a lot closer to being stopped and less inevitable than it feels now

Up until last nights show I had actually forgotten that before Dean Rocks much replayed free kick to win that All Ireland Cian oConnor had a free at the other end and struck the post with it. It would have put Mayo in the lead with just a couple of minutes to go, that final really was fine margins.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,211 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Up until last nights show I had actually forgotten that before Dean Rocks much replayed free kick to win that All Ireland Cian oConnor had a free at the other end and struck the post with it. It would have put Mayo in the lead with just a couple of minutes to go, that final really was fine margins.

Not just that final, every final vs Mayo during 2010’s has been a classic. Only last year was not competitive.
    The Mayo team of 2010s was also a best in lifetime era team, just unfortunate for them to coincide with same from Dublin. Mayo won’t get back to that but scary thing is it can and probably will continue for Dublin, only Kerry can stop them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭External Association

Is it just me or are they retroactively highlighting women's sports results that achieved little to no attention back when they occurred, but would get it nowadays? Were the camogie results last night really more prominent in 2017's national psyche than when we pulled off an improbable away 1-0 against a fine Wales team only to throw it away in a, what was it, 5-2 mauling to Denmark at home? Course they weren't.

One episode, 2014 or so, had an Ireland women's rugby result. I honestly can't recall the women's rugby team getting any shade of media coverage until the last two or so years. Same with the women's football team, prior to Stephanie Roche I don't think it got two paragraphs per qualifying match. If even that.

Nowadays sites like 42.ie actively clickbait it by disguising it in a manner suggesting the article is about the men's team.

2017 episode was a bit meh, but RTE can't be blamed for the absolute glut of souless, charmless, forgotten next week pop available this decade.

The women winning the 6 nations Grand Slam was big news in 2013. Most games live. 2014 Ireland women beating the All blacks was big news too.

The camogie shouldn't have been ahead of the Welsh football game etc. Having said that in the last 20 years there have been some classic camogie finals, 2017 wasn't one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,111 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Interesting just how flat out bloody awful the music has been in the latest series.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,854 ✭✭✭deisedude

Tony EH wrote: »
    Interesting just how flat out bloody awful the music has been in the latest series.

The music picks have been questionable particularly the Irish artists.

Fair enough if you want to pick some Irish music but some of the bands/singers they have picked are not recognisable and there was definitely Irish acts in those years that had a lot of radio play they could have picked instead.

The show is supposed to capture the zeitgeist of the past 10 years and picking songs that were never popular really takes away from the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,282 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

deisedude wrote: »

Fair enough if you want to pick some Irish music but some of the bands/singers they have picked are not recognisable and there was definitely Irish acts in those years that had a lot of radio play they could have picked instead.

The show is supposed to capture the zeitgeist of the past 10 years and picking songs that were never popular really takes away from the show.

It always picked songs that were not popular. Rock music was never popular.

The international acts this decade have all been big hits or stars. Some of the Irish ones went over my head a bit but I wouldn't really know any Irish acts these day popular or not

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭nullObjects

Is there a different team producing the show or something?
    It's not up to the same standard at all

deisedude wrote: »

I think a lot of it comes down to money. RTE were hit badly with copyright issues on past 'Reeling in the Years' series, I believe. Some of the DVD's of the show ended up not being able to use some of the music that was in the original broadcast.

• Advertisement

Is there a different team producing the show or something?
    It's not up to the same standard at all

That might be just perception at play.

This series of 'Reeling in the Years' probably seems "lesser" because all of it only happened over the last decade.

Personally, it's been like looking at something that only happened last month because it's so easy to recall.

The show was at it's best when it was focused on earlier decades. The 60's to the 90's was where the show reached it's full potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

PTH2009 wrote: »
    An All Island approach I presume

Enjoyable episode this week, jesus still get goosebumps seeing that Robbie Brady goal

I find it cringe tbh.

We finished 3rd in the group...out of 4 yet we qualified. it's so stupid.

We beat a 2nd string Italy team that already qualified.

Sayings like "this generations Italia 90". No it wasn't.

And it featured Ellie Kisyombe, another verified spoofer, straight after Erica. Found it particularly ironic that they showed a direct provision sob story directly after a housing crisis piece, given the link between the two.

Does it mean 2016 is when RTE started giving platforms to shysters? It's looking like so.

Glaceon wrote: »
    What do you mean? It wasn’t always a show of obscure Irish music.

Yes exactly. Enough with the substandard Irish ****e music and actually play the songs people will go "oh yeah, that song was everywhere that year".

Despacito was probably the biggest song across a number of years yet didn't get played.

A clip of the Toy show with kids' dad coming back from soldiering with the UN means nothing to anyone bar those involved.

Once RITY had events of national and international prominence now it's RTE back slapping and self propaganda.

Since that Tubridy stick insect took over the LLS in 2009 we're inflicted with the Toy Show, with no toys, every month of the year. The greatest load of hyped up nonsense, a filler for the lack of any real entertainment.

The copying of American/British rituals with the "returning of our soldiers" needs to stop.

I know lads who go abroad to work in construction for longer than these lads go abroad on UN duty.

There's lads split up from their mrs that don't see their kid for longer periods than these soldiers do.

DrSerious3 wrote: »
    In all fairness, it's all well and good to showcase Irish music but some of it is unbelievably obscure. What was that Damien Dempsey song? Never heard it in my life.

RITY is not the place to be "showcasing" Irish music.

It's a look back at the past...not an advertising platform.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Kunta Kinte

Tony EH wrote: »
    That might be just perception at play.

This series of 'Reeling in the Years' probably seems "lesser" because all of it only happened over the last decade.

Personally, it's been like looking at something that only happened last month because it's so easy to recall.

The show was at it's best when it was focused on earlier decades. The 60's to the 90's was where the show reached it's full potential.

The 1990s series was originally shown on RTE in 2000 so the same isues applied then too especially to the later years of that decade.

RITY has changed from showing the main events everyone cared about and will remember, into showing things people never cared about.

Does anyone really care about seeing who won the womens football in 2015? The stadium is empty...no one cared about it at the time so **** knows who would care about it years later. It's all about "diversity" now.

Pussyhands wrote: »
    I find it cringe tbh.

We finished 3rd in the group...out of 4 yet we qualified. it's so stupid.

We beat a 2nd string Italy team that already qualified.

Sayings like "this generations Italia 90". No it wasn't.

Did someone actually call it "this generations Italia 90".

Does anyone really care about seeing who won the womens football in 2015? The stadium is empty...no one cared about it at the time so **** knows who would care about it years later. It's all about "diversity" now.

I do.

• Advertisement

I just put Despacito on out of curiosity and I can say I don't know that song!
    I can also say that I rarely listen to chart music though so not that unusual that it might have escaped me.
    Never heard of that Damien Dempsey song either, and that's the type of music I would normally hear.

It feels like the editing of this series is not as polished as previous ones. It can feel disjointed a lot of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

Anyone else notice how disingenuous it has been with the 'homeless' crisis?
    it shows pictures of tents and people sleeping in doorways with some caption saying
    "there are over 6,000 homeless in Ireland"
    has done that for a few episodes now

Ri_Nollaig wrote: »
    it shows pictures of tents and people sleeping in doorways with some caption saying

It also had some talking heads, the Apollo lock-in, the Grafton st. gigs and the woman in the hotel

• Registered Users Posts: 3,474 ✭✭✭Masala

Ri_Nollaig wrote: »

RTE seems to have an Agenda on homelessness

... and Refugees / Asylum Seekers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Does it mean 2016 is when RTE started giving platforms to shysters? It's looking like so.

This man wasn’t a shyster, but the 2014 episode used the story of the homeless man who died sleeping in a doorway beside the Dail, which seems to have kickstarted their “housing crisis” narrative... sadly this man, Jonathan Corry, was a heroin addict, who by all accounts seemed to have a loving family supporting him. His parents had bought two houses for himself and his partner to live in, in the hopes of him going clean, but sadly even that couldn’t help him, and he sold both houses.

It’s a terribly sad story, and perhaps it shows perhaps where other areas in our health service are lacking and need further investment, but it wasn’t homelessness which killed this man, and it’s disingenuous of RTE to suggest that it was.

Bringing us up to tomorrow’s 2018 episode, I wonder will they feature Margaret Cash? No doubt she’ll be depicted as something different to the reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,150 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Remember one of the recent episodes

Did they say Dundalk were the first Irish club to get to the Eurorpa league group stages??

Rovers got to it in the 2011/12 season if i recall

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Stripeyman

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Remember one of the recent episodes

Did they say Dundalk were the first Irish club to get to the Eurorpa league group stages??

Rovers got to it in the 2011/12 season if i recall

I'm open to correction but I think they may have said that Dundalk were the first LOI club to win a game in the group stages.

Stripeyman wrote: »
    I'm open to correction but I think they may have said that Dundalk were the first LOI club to win a game in the group stages.

Ya they said win and the clip was from that game

• Registered Users Posts: 38,150 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Ah yeah this could be a very weather orientated episode

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,828 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

That May dancing moment was hilarious. Real mammy moment.

Advertisement