Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Fly me to the Moon - your 3rd travel Megathread - read OP

Options

Comments

No idea tbh. Poster was talking about the UK. Cant see it working here!

Lets be honest, if you allow self test you may as well not bother. Anyone thats positive can just get a test from someone else thats negative

As an aside, was looking at Prague. They will only recognise vaccinations that have been performed in certain countries and we arent one of them. Hows that work when they are the same vaccinations and we are all EU?

What sort of grilling are people here who went on holidays getting at the Garda desks on coming home?
    Assuming you avoided a fine on the way out are they applying one coming back as there's no avoiding them?
    I assume they'll know what flight you came off

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭naufragos123

What sort of grilling are people here who went on holidays getting at the Garda desks on coming home?
    Assuming you avoided a fine on the way out are they applying one coming back as there's no avoiding them?

Very interesting question and I was wondering the exact same.

If for example, you left with a medical appointment are you expected to prove on return that you attended? Ditto with all the other reasons? Do they question returning passengers?

If anyone has any information on this I'd be very grateful to hear? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Helpsos

I’m wondering if anyone that’s been to the airport has seen many families. We are travelling to Malaga with 2 children mid June for dental appointments. Getting a bit nervous to be honest .....

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Feria40

Well folks the deed is done.

Spain booked for the 25th of July with my pal Micky Leary.

Just over 7 weeks to go. I am excited but stupidly nervous that something will go wrong. Covid Cert rollout delayed, the Irish Gov going off and making up it's own rules again, who knows.

Are there any clouds on the horizon at this juncture? What could go wrong?? Tell me to relax!!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Johnny Drama_11

Hi all,

Apologies for the stupid question. I am due to travel to the canaries the first week of August. I will be vaccinated by then but my wife and kids (all under 6) won't be.

What are the realistic chances of my holiday going ahead?

Thanks in advance.

There is no grilling coming home.
    You are entitled to travel home.

Hi all,

Apologies for the stupid question. I am due to travel to the canaries the first week of August. I will be vaccinated by then but my wife and kids (all under 6) won't be.

Thanks in advance.

I think that should go ahead as long as your wife has a PCR negative tests done within 72 hours before. Don’t see why it wouldn’t go ahead - just a pain getting the documents etc organized, it’s turning a lot of families off.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Hi all,

Thanks in advance.

Your wife will need a pcr going and a pcr coming back - other than that Id say you`ll have no problems.

She might even only need an antigen test before going if Spain changes its rules before then.
    Kids don't need any tests if they are under 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Johnny Drama_11

Helpsos wrote: »
    I think that should go ahead as long as your wife and children have PCR negative tests done within 72 hours before. Don’t see why it wouldn’t go ahead - just a pain getting the documents etc organized, it’s turning a lot of families off.

Many thanks for the reply. PCR tests for my wife and kids will not be a problem.
    Thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Helpsos wrote: »
    I think that should go ahead as long as your wife and children have PCR negative tests done within 72 hours before. Don’t see why it wouldn’t go ahead - just a pain getting the documents etc organized, it’s turning a lot of families off.

Its actually not that bad - I organised my daughter going off to work in Italy for the summer last week - Randox sends you an email. You upload it to Ryanairs "document" folder and they didn't even look it all the way to Italy.

I printed her hard copies just in case and she wasn't asked for them anywhere - she flew Dublin - Stansted - Stansted to Venice.

She said it was as easy as if there was no covid at all. Took about 20 minutes to organise everything - had to resize the pdf as Ryanair have a file limit of 2mb and it was 3.5mb or something.

Many thanks for the reply. PCR tests for my wife and kids will not be a problem.
    Thanks again.

I don’t believe they will need a PCR for under 6 children apologies

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Where are people thinking about going for pre-travel PCR tests? How much are we expecting to pay per test?

Based in Galway so looking a these guys....

https://booking.randox.ie/

bubblypop wrote: »

You are also entitled to be fined,which is why I've asked what are peoples experiences
    What is your experience of coming home?

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭General Toilet

There are no fines for coming home.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

There is a grilling and long wait at the immigration desks on arrival. Went through it last Saturday,will be flying out this Saturday again and will update on any changes or delays.

You are also entitled to be fined,which is why I've asked what are peoples experiences
    What is your experience of coming home?

No. You cannot be fined for coming home.
    I dont have experience but I understand the law.

Wombatman wrote: »
    Where are people thinking about going for pre-travel PCR tests? How much are we expecting to pay per test?

Based in Galway so looking a these guys....

https://booking.randox.ie/

Was only there today for my PCR for flying Saturday. They have a seamless operation there at the side of the Clayton. And most of all they are the cheapest PCR around the West.

There is a grilling and long wait at the immigration desks on arrival. Went through it last Saturday,will be flying out this Saturday again and will update on any changes or delays.

The grilling is nothing to do with fines.
    It is to make sure.people are doing what they should be doing with regard to tests and isolation at home.

No. You cannot be fined for coming home.
    I dont have experience but I understand the law.

So you answered a question you have no experience of
    Yes you can be fined if the Garda suspects you left the country non essentially
    So let's ask the question again and this time could someone with ACTUAL experience of what the Garda said or asked at the hatch answer ,thanks
    Was it a case of 2019,the usual,glance at passport and wave on or is there a deeper probe

• Advertisement

The grilling is nothing to do with fines.
    It is to make sure.people are doing what they should be doing with regard to tests and isolation at home.

So to be questioned as to what you were doing in a country, not what you are going to be doing in Ireland has something to do with tests and isolation in Ireland? Interesting. I hope you'll enjoy the wait and queue that we endured last Saturday at immigration.

So to be questioned as to what you were doing in a country, not what you are going to be doing in Ireland has something to do with tests and isolation in Ireland? Interesting. I hope you'll enjoy the wait and queue that we endured last Saturday at immigration.

I think that's my question answered
    You are asked and better have your story straight?
    Also,let's be very clear they can prosecute when you get home,so having things water tight is important
    Can I fly to London by the way to examine 2nd hand machinery I'm buying or would I be fined?

So let's ask the question again and this time could someone with ACTUAL experience of what the Garda said or asked at the hatch answer ,thanks
    Was it a case of 2019,the usual,glance at passport and wave on or is there a deeper probe

No you cant.
    Read the legislation

Immigration can ask whatever they want.
    They can also give advise about restrictions in ireland.
    They cannot give fines for leaving the country.
    The fine is for travel to the airport for the purpose of leaving on non essential travel.

Read the legislation lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭naufragos123

I think you're being a bit rude.To my knowledge bubblypop is a Garda and is kind enough to share his /her knowledge and information.

You're also being a tad over dramatic saying stuff like no avoiding the fine and people are "entitled" to be fined. You avoid the fine if you can prove you are travelling for one of the list of acceptable excuses and there are quite a few.

I've not heard of anybody being followed up coming back and feel reassured by the replies here, however I'd like to hear more to feel better about it. But I'm grateful for the information, nobody here has to help.

Immigration can ask whatever they want.
    They can also give advise about restrictions in ireland.
    They cannot give fines for leaving the country.
    The fine is for travel to the airport for the purpose of leaving on non essential travel.

Read the legislation lads.

Enjoy your experience of going through immigration while quoting the relevant SI to the officer. They will really like that. Thanks for the input.

No you cant.
    Read the legislation

You are saying you cannot be prosecuted for a crime after you have committed it
    You are talking out of your hole

• Registered Users Posts: 15,199 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

You are saying you cannot be prosecuted for a crime after you have committed it
    You are talking out of your hole

Read the bloody legislation, the offence is leaving the state not entering. Free to enter as you please once you have a valid PCR if coming from a country not on MHQ.

The SI specifically states the offence is leaving the state, as has already been mentioned, once you pass through the checks at ports or airports outbound then your fine, your reason for travel has been accepted.

Restrictions of movement of applicable persons in relation to travel from place of residence to port or airport
    4. (1) Subject to paragraph (2), an applicable person shall not travel to an airport or port for the purpose of leaving the State without reasonable excuse.

Enjoy your experience of going through immigration while quoting the relevant SI to the officer. They will really like that. Thanks for the input.

I won't need to quote anything to the immigration officer because I know I won't be prosecuted.
    You are entitled by law to travel home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,184 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

That cant be right surely. How do they know the sample was taken properly or from the person?
    dodzy wrote: »
    Nota hope of that being true.

I’m not making it up; the U.K. is satisfied with it as an approach. Ryanair partners with Randox in selling them. With others, you can buy a literal flow device. What you do then is schedule an online session where you are watched taking the test, then the result following which they email you a PDF cert! I too find these odd but I am not that prone to misdirection or hyperbole!

Advertisement