Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly me to the Moon - your 3rd travel Megathread - read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

afatbollix wrote: »
    To the person saying you can get fined for coming into the country, you can't.

They are immigration officials not Gardai at passport control.
    They ask for test results, locator form, and vaccination proof. They asked my reason for coming in and visiting family was accepted just last week. They can't give out fines only Gardai can and the law is for traveling to the airport not returning.

To the ones asking about traveling with kids, Quite a few about! Loads of babies on my flight. Gardai didn't stop me as I used fast track. But honest to god I'm sure you can make up your best excuse that people have said above.

If you don't want to break the rules for a moral reason best to delay to the 19th.

They are immigration officials not Gardai at passport control

Some are AGS,the ones we got last Saturday were, the most of them are not. Just to correct your inaccurate statement.

They are immigration officials not Gardai at passport control

Some are AGS,the ones we got last Saturday were, the most of them are not. Just to correct your inaccurate statement.

Gardai do NOT work the immigration desks. They have no role there. They are immigration and not Gardai.

Just to correct your incorrect statement

I haven't actually
    A poster here with actual experience of the immigration gardai in the last week confirmed being grilled on the purpose of their journey
    The other posters annoyed at this prospect were talking with no recent experience
    What use is this thread without experienced people giving the answers?

Both myself and bubblepop are Gardai. We work in an airport and port, we have issued these fines. We have direct professional experience.

People that have traveled have also pointed out your errors.

A person who works in the legal field had pointed out your mistake.

You are wrong, accept it, be gracious and move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭JoChervil

afatbollix wrote: »
    To the person saying you can get fined for coming into the country, you can't.

They are immigration officials not Gardai at passport control.
    They ask for test results, locator form, and vaccination proof. They asked my reason for coming in and visiting family was accepted just last week. They can't give out fines only Gardai can and the law is for traveling to the airport not returning.

To the ones asking about traveling with kids, Quite a few about! Loads of babies on my flight. Gardai didn't stop me as I used fast track. But honest to god I'm sure you can make up your best excuse that people have said above.

If you don't want to break the rules for a moral reason best to delay to the 19th.

I am flying to Poland next Friday. So which test do I have to do here? I was vaccinated a month ago with AZ first dose and in Poland rapid antigen test is required, which is done in 15 minutes on arrival.

Which test do I have to do here before boarding the flight? or maybe I don't need any in my case?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Meanwhile, over on the other side of the pond, I just did a quick two-day trip San Antonio to Ft Benning (via ATL). TSA says that airport travel is back up to about 90% of what it was pre-pandemic and, given that international basically isn't happening, that seems to me to be about as near to, if not greater than, pre-pandemic levels for domestic. Given how busy the airports were, I believe it. I had to laugh at the 'distancing' decals on the floor of the inter-terminal tram. That wasn't happening. That said, the long-term parking lots were all virtually empty.

In-flight service is a bit curtailed, but in super-economy one doesn't expect much anyway. Masks obligatory, and since the airlines aren't flying international, they're actually starting to use wide-bodies in long-haul configuration (eg lie-flat seats up front) for domestic routes. Good if you can get them.

The biggest problem is that the airlines have not restarted a lot of the smaller routes. What used to be direct routing now requires transfers or alternate nearby airports. Two more trips later this month, we'll see how we shake out.

For those who are curious, I've been fully vaccinated for almost a month now. Nationally, we're at over 60% of adults.

• Advertisement

Both myself and bubblepop are Gardai. We work in an airport and port, we have issued these fines. We have direct professional experience.

People that have traveled have also pointed out your errors.

A person who works in the legal field had pointed out your mistake.

You are wrong, accept it, be gracious and move on.

With respect, I did not ask if you break the law by coming home
    I asked why you cannot be prosecuted for breaking the law when leaving, when you come home if the evidence is there that you broke it going out
    Noone has provided anything here as to why you cannot
    Alright I've seen 2 things, assertions about it not being illegal to come home which is not what I asked and 2nd fair enough assertions that my law breaking transgression going out will essentially be ignored
    Frankly unless clarity can be given on that 2nd point as to why a broken law cannot be actioned,, I'm still at a loss here as to.my lack of exposure and chastising me for raising it isn't an answer

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭rm212

With respect, I did not ask if you break the law by coming home
    I asked why you cannot be prosecuted for breaking the law when leaving, when you come home if the evidence is there that you broke it going out
    Noone has provided anything here as to why you cannot
    Alright I've seen 2 things, assertions about it not being illegal to come home which is not what I asked and 2nd fair enough assertions that my law breaking transgression going out will essentially be ignored
    Frankly unless clarity can be given on that 2nd point as to why a broken law cannot be actioned,, I'm still at a loss here as to.my lack of exposure and chastising me for raising it isn't an answer

I can’t believe you’re still going on and on about this. You’re just embarrassing yourself man, move on, you’ve been told by the people issuing the fines that it cannot happen.

rm212 wrote: »
    I can’t believe you’re still going on and on about this. You’re just embarrassing yourself man, move on, you’ve been told by the people issuing the fines that it cannot happen.

I've been told it won't happen ,not that it cannot happen
    Forgive me if I'm not at one with being told I'm OK if I've broken a law
    I shall not engage anymore, simply because one penny has dropped, some here are mis understanding my question as disagreeing with what they are doing or wanting to do
    Genuinely it is not,far from it in fact

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭eltonyio

A slightly more critical piece which calls out some of the spoofing and misinformation in the IT today.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/ministers-will-duck-dive-and-delay-on-international-travel-for-as-long-as-they-can-1.458

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

I know you can’t speak for all gardai, but how are they viewing their role in enforcement, are they looking to catch people out, I believe my travel is deemed essential, but I’m worried a member of an gardai will not see it that way and issue a fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Cal4567

eltonyio wrote: »
    A slightly more critical piece which calls out some of the spoofing and misinformation in the IT today.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/ministers-will-duck-dive-and-delay-on-international-travel-for-as-long-as-they-can-1.458

Couldn't access your link, so added it again.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/ministers-will-duck-dive-and-delay-on-international-travel-for-as-long-as-they-can-1.4583289

Sums up exactly what I have suspected. Government could see this was all going to be too tight for a normal summer, which is basically when schools go back, the last week of August. Ideally they needed to be in March where they were in May, April for June, so around 8 weeks or so. Glad to see some part of the media calling them out on that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭dmrules

JoChervil wrote: »
    I am flying to Poland next Friday. So which test do I have to do here? I was vaccinated a month ago with AZ first dose and in Poland rapid antigen test is required, which is done in 15 minutes on arrival.

Which test do I have to do here before boarding the flight? or maybe I don't need any in my case?

Hi, you don't need test before boarding the flight, test on arrival and you're good to go .

Valhallapt wrote: »
    I know you can’t speak for all gardai, but how are they viewing their role in enforcement, are they looking to catch people out, I believe my travel is deemed essential, but I’m worried a member of an gardai will not see it that way and issue a fine.

I can't speak for niner or all gardai, he is much more aware of how things go in the airport.
    Purely personal view? Gardai should not be used to police a health emergency, it's a massive shame it had to happen.
    Enforcement is last case scenario.
    However, it is an option, the law is there, and gardai must enforce it.
    I would imagine, most gardai do not wish to fine people, however some people will leave you No choice. My opinion!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Why are the UK putting Portugal on a red list ?

The UK have all their elderly and at risk groups vaccinated, what are they worried will happen ?

Is this what we can expect now as a new normal ? even when we are completely vaccinated ? xyz variant pops up or a slight rise in cases (meaningless at that stage) and PANIC travel stops ??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭Tazz T

The UK seem to be going down a very overcautious route at the moment probably due to Delta variant pushing numbers up and Boris doesn't want to be seen to be rolling back on the roadmap.

A while back he was saying he was going to make travelling easier, especially for families, and that seems to have been let slide. Possible we could end up with fewer travel restrictions come the 19th July, in which case the movement of travellers might be Belfast to Dublin rather than vice-versa.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

Tazz T wrote: »
    The UK seem to be going down a very overcautious route at the moment probably due to Delta variant pushing numbers up and Boris doesn't want to be seen to be rolling back on the roadmap.

A while back he was saying he was going to make travelling easier, especially for families, and that seems to have been let slide. Possible we could end up with fewer travel restrictions come the 19th July, in which case the movement of travellers might be Belfast to Dublin rather than vice-versa.

He's being ridiculously over cautious imo and will suffer at the hands of voters for it. The vaccines work, it's time to move on everyone is sick of it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,638 ✭✭✭✭josip

TomSweeney wrote: »

The UK have all their elderly and at risk groups vaccinated, what are they worried will happen ?

Is this what we can expect now as a new normal ? even when we are completely vaccinated ? xyz variant pops up or a slight rise in cases (meaningless at that stage) and PANIC travel stops ??

Isn't it the amber list that Portugal is being put on?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

TomSweeney wrote: »

Most likely it had more to do with politics than actual science, keep the money in the UK on Staycation, and don't spend it all in that nasty EU place..
    Use the "Scariants" to keep restrictions in place longer, push all those in the UK who've not chosen to take the Vaccine into taking it..

They have to be careful, if all those who are reasonably young and healthy don't get all rights restored such as going on a holiday then why bother getting a vaccine for COvid?

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Feria40

josip wrote: »
    Isn't it the amber list that Portugal is being put on?

Yes Amber list.

I think it's a combination of factors:

1. Please spend the queen's pounds at home
    2. Political motivations re Brexit - empire/motherland/stay in good old blighty/ don't give the dastardly Europeans money
    3. As mentioned above all else he doesn't want to row back on the domestic reopening roadmap. Most eggs are in the AZ basket and while the AZ vaccine is still very effective it is clearly not the gold standard, especially with only one dose against the Indian variant

Edit. You beat me to it Tensor!

The problem for us is that the Irish Gov will latch on to anything to delay reopening

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Forgive me as I've not been following anything COVID for the past while, but what's the latest craic with travel from the UK to here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭naufragos123

bubblypop wrote: »
    I can't speak for niner or all gardai, he is much more aware of how things go in the airport.
    Purely personal view? Gardai should not be used to police a health emergency, it's a massive shame it had to happen.
    Enforcement is last case scenario.
    However, it is an option, the law is there, and gardai must enforce it.
    I would imagine, most gardai do not wish to fine people, however some people will leave you No choice. My opinion!

bubblypop I very much appreciate you and Niner's input. Hearing stuff from the horse's mouth is invaluable as much of all this is mired in vagueness and people are understandably anxious.Some people are anxious travellers without this added layer of hassle.

Valhallapt raised an important point about Garda interpretation of a passenger's excuse and you would fear coming up against an awkward one. For example where the reason for travel is medical treatment /appointment and you have the email from the foreign doctor to prove it, do they accept this without further question or do they/ can they start quizzing you as to why you're not getting said treatment in this country? I know it was a big loophole for Donnelly and he tried his damndest to close it [thankfully didn't as many seeking treatment abroad are very genuine]. You hear that people are able to breeze through with just a claim of a dental appointment and Gardai, though dubious, waving them on. Is it the case that proof of a dental /medical appointment is acceptable without being subject to further questioning? Thank you so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 TheFinanceGod

funnydoggy wrote: »
    Forgive me as I've not been following anything COVID for the past while, but what's the latest craic with travel from the UK to here?

Just go. Get out of here if you can. If I wasn't tied down with June Exams, no question I'd be over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Just go. Get out of here if you can. If I wasn't tied down with June Exams, no question I'd be over there.

Oh it's not for me thankfully (or I *would* be out of here)! Just a fully vaccinated family member is coming over early July for a week. I'm presuming no MHQ / testing for her?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭Dr. Em

All you've said there is to not worry about the law I've broken going out,your apology is also accepted given we're acknowledging invisible ones :D
    But seriously can we agree finally to disagree because we definitely do

The Irish state has an obligation to allow citizens to return, no matter if they have broken the law or not. This is why so many countries (including Ireland) have had repatriation flights when travel bans have gone into effect. If you have an Irish passport, or are an Irish resident, the state does not want to put a bar to entry. Enforcing the fine upon return would in effect bar anyone who could not pay the fine and it is a deliberate choice not investigate if the entering passenger left the state legally or not. For one thing, it would involve too many resources to be practical, and for another, it might fall afoul of Ireland's obligation to not bar its own citizens from returning. I am not saying that anyone should break the law by travelling to the airport, but it is not an oversight that you will be greeted by immigration and not the Gardaí if you fly into Ireland.

The fine is to discourage anyone from travelling to the airport if they do not have an essential reason to do so. The whole reason the fine is so high it to make people consider if they really need to travel. They aren't interested in punishment for its own sake.

And yes, I have personally seen the system at work.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭ellee

Anyone know what's happening at the ferries?

We're booked to get the ferry to France end of July but a bit nervous the fine won't be gone by then... all very well saying give an acceptable excuse but with 2 excited kids and a packed car in tow I'm not sure what excuse would pass muster!

Naufragos 123, I'll be the first to admit there are awkward gardai out there, be grateful you don't have to work with them!!
    Anyhow, it is their right to question people on their reasons for travel, of course, the fact that people went off booking dentists appointments that they never kept, just made it worse, basically they are quite justified now in questioning people.

Having said that, I would imagine if the traveller is normal, respectful, not taking the piss or trying to put it up to the individual guard, then they are grand. I can't imagine that there are gardai going out to 'get people'
    Enforcement is a final option.

Niner maybe able to give more information about the airport.

ellee wrote: »

We're booked to get the ferry to France end of July but a bit nervous the fine won't be gone by then... all very well saying give an acceptable excuse but with 2 excited kids and a packed car in tow I'm not sure what excuse would pass muster!

Travel is opening up from July 19th
    So if your trip is on or after that date,there won't be a fine unless the date changes which is unlikely in my opinion

funnydoggy wrote: »
    Oh it's not for me thankfully (or I *would* be out of here)! Just a fully vaccinated family member is coming over early July for a week. I'm presuming no MHQ / testing for her?

My cousin came in from UK last week, fully vaccinated.
    PCR test before entry, full out locator form, self isolate and take another test on day 5, free to travel.
    By July, it may be even less with no need to isolate

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Hontou

ellee wrote: »

Fine will be gone by the 19th of July......at the latest as travel is allowed from that date. I've flights on the 5th of July and am hoping to travel despite the fine. Am practicing various lies for the Gardai in front of the mirror.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,385 ✭✭✭brickster69

France to allow UK fully vaxed people in. On the amber list for a couple of month longer so does not really matter much.

https://metro.co.uk/2021/06/04/covid-travel-france-reopens-to-fully-vaccinated-brits-next-week-14714568/?ito=push-notification&ci=214087&si=22786189&ai=14714568

All roads lead to Rome.

Advertisement