Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Law Firm Milkrounds 20/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭FE1Hopefully1

Lallers96 wrote: »
    Well I got a TC finally!! Came out of absolutely nowhere

Congratulations !! So well deserved !!!

Are you doing the hybrid or going in in September ?

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Lallers96

Congrats!! :cool: :cool: Really was a case of don't ask don't get. You'll have to present at the "how I got the training contract" talks! ;)

I'd love to, not out of narcissism but because I come from a completely different background than a lot that you see represented in these talks and I'd love to give hope to some people that there are other routes outside of big law!

Congratulations !! So well deserved !!!

Are you doing the hybrid or going in in September ?

I'll be going with the Hybrid because I would rather avoid living in Dublin and paying mental rent haha! It will be difficult but to be honest I don't mind that type of work - it's the uncertainty and the seemingly never-ending search for a TC that really stressed me out.

I'll be going with the Hybrid because I would rather avoid living in Dublin and paying mental rent haha! It will be difficult but to be honest I don't mind that type of work - it's the uncertainty and the seemingly never-ending search for a TC that really stressed me out.

Oh amazing the hybrid is such a good option !!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 fe14dewin

Hi guys, anyone heard back from philip lee or dac beachcroft?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭SKLaw

fe14dewin wrote: »
    Hi guys, anyone heard back from philip lee or dac beachcroft?

Haven’t heard anything unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 31 john_fe12020

Philip Lee closing date of application was extended to Friday last, so probably a bit early yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 46 biglawhead420

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Bantz_Control

• Registered Users Posts: 21 LawNerd2020

I'd be more than happy with 45,000 to 85,000, never-mind 450,000 to 850,000!!

I'll just be updating my CV and cover letter to reflect that I'm a law graduate with a keen interest in capital markets and funds, ha.

• Advertisement

I'd be more than happy with 45,000 to 85,000, never-mind 450,000 to 850,000!!

I'll just be updating my CV and cover letter to reflect that I'm a law graduate with a keen interest in capital markets and funds, ha.

If you train at a big firm, and you're good at what you do, you'll usually make partner in 9 to 10 years after you qualify, so by your mid to late 30s. You could make senior partner and be on this kind of money in your middle age and retire comfortably and early.

It's not an impossible goal really. You just need to be smart and ambitious enough to get in at the outset. There's only a certain amount of elite firms that can provide this type of remuneration.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Wonderstruck

If you train at a big firm, and you're good at what you do, you'll usually make partner in 9 to 10 years after you qualify, so by your mid to late 30s. You could make senior partner and be on this kind of money in your middle age and retire comfortably and early.

It's not an impossible goal really. You just need to be smart and ambitious enough to get in at the outset. There's only a certain amount of elite firms that can provide this type of remuneration.

Exactly. I definitely think that of person has a certain very hungry and intensely single focused on what they want!

But it's a very elite few of the subsection of those kind of people who have those traits who make it there, a lot burn out! And someone who brings in a lot of money too! So their wages are nothing compared to the money they are bringing in from clients.

Not for me, I like the relaxed pace of life outside of corporate law. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

Exactly. I definitely think that of person has a certain very hungry and intensely single focused on what they want!

But it's a very elite few of the subsection of those kind of people who have those traits who make it there, a lot burn out! And someone who brings in a lot of money too! So their wages are nothing compared to the money they are bringing in from clients.

Not for me, I like the relaxed pace of life outside of corporate law. :)

Definitely depends on what you're willing to sacrifice.

Anyone apply for the internship position at the Law Reform Commission?

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭nicolesd

hey, wondering if anyone has any advice passed my final exam there when the results came out and on the hunt for a training contract i applied to a few of the small firms in my local town and have heard back from 2 one general practice and one commercial law firm.

i am interested in criminal law but do i just take either one of these for the training or hold out another year or so in the hope i get something in a criminal law firm? undecided about what to do or will i be at a huge disadvantage if i take the commercial law firm if i later want to go and practice criminal law?

nicolesd wrote: »
    hey, wondering if anyone has any advice passed my final exam there when the results came out and on the hunt for a training contract i applied to a few of the small firms in my local town and have heard back from 2 one general practice and one commercial law firm.

i am interested in criminal law but do i just take either one of these for the training or hold out another year or so in the hope i get something in a criminal law firm? undecided about what to do or will i be at a huge disadvantage if i take the commercial law firm if i later want to go and practice criminal law?

I think the common advice would be to take whatever TC you can get! If you decide to reject an offer you might not get lucky later on. On the other hand, if your application and background is strong enough, you might feel confident to hold out for a criminal firm TC. It's up to you really. You really have to weigh the costs and benefits.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Fe1forthefun

I hope people know that this isn't the salary for the vast majority of partners in these areas of law, and these people would definitely not be retiring in their 50s.

I think its better to work hard, but go in with a realistic mindset as to your salary ambitions.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭awsah

nicolesd wrote: »

I agree with other poster, the What you can get, criminal law is such a niche area. Is it possible to do a secondment with one of those firms? You could try and get a few months in a criminal law practice? Have you have experience with criminal law? I work in a criminal law firm at the moment and while I absolutely love it,it's not for everyone, I've seen people quit after a week!

I am sure once qualified criminal firms would understand that you took a training contract where you found one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 LegalEagle786

Apologies if this has been answered before etc. but is there a thread for 2021 PPC1 applicants (those going to Blackhall in Sept 2021)?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭rickmatt

Hey Everyone,

Just looking for some advice. Probably a very obvious, and answered before question but...

I've all 8 Fe1's but still no Traineeship and with the deadline closing in I'm losing hope.

I'm wondering can I submit the application without a solicitor or even attend Blackhall without a solicitor, by putting the money up myself?

Just wondering has this been done before or has anyone any experience of this?

Thanks in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭awsah

rickmatt wrote: »
    Hey Everyone,

Just looking for some advice. Probably a very obvious, and answered before question but...

I've all 8 Fe1's but still no Traineeship and with the deadline closing in I'm losing hope.

I'm wondering can I submit the application without a solicitor or even attend Blackhall without a solicitor, by putting the money up myself?

Thanks in advance.

It has nothing to do with money, I would be putting my money up myself. You need a training contract before Blackhall, there is no way around it unfortunately!

Editting to say that lots of people pay their own way for Blackhall, not all companies pay for it so that isnt an option unfortunately, I hope you get sorted

Apologies if this has been answered before etc. but is there a thread for 2021 PPC1 applicants (those going to Blackhall in Sept 2021)?

Not yet I don't think. I'd be interested in one myself. I'm currently sifting through all the paperwork needed to apply for indentures and by extension all the documents you need to apply to PPC

Not yet I don't think. I'd be interested in one myself. I'm currently sifting through all the paperwork needed to apply for indentures and by extension all the documents you need to apply to PPC

Yeah I’m struggling with the application haha have no idea what I’m supposed to be doing haha

Same here. I feel stupid but it doesn't make sense to me. Are we meant to fill out the "Indentures of Apprenticeships FORM1" or is that gone now and its just Form 3 and 4A, because the law soc website has conflicting info and even Form 3 and 4a have a big SAMPLE over each page so that can't be right haha

I've emailed the Traineeship section to try and find the up to date forms without the SAMPLE written over every page

Hey Everyone,

Thanks in advance.

I’m in the same position to be honest and I’ve passed them all last November but haven’t been lucky enough to secure a TC. At this rate, I’m thinking I’ll have to wait until 2022 to start Blackhall

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 aecc

Anyone here back from MacGinley Quinn (Dundalk based firm) ?

Interviewed there last Monday week.

Just haven’t heard anything since.

I actually got offered and have accepted the TC with MGQ. Thanks to all on this thread, I would have completely missed the application otherwise (as I had stopped checking the legal vacancies website!) so absolutely massive thank you to everyone.

aecc wrote: »
    I actually got offered and have accepted the TC with MGQ. Thanks to all on this thread, I would have completely missed the application otherwise (as I had stopped checking the legal vacancies website!) so absolutely massive thank you to everyone.

Congratulations! Very well deserved. I hope you have a good experience with both your TC and Blackhall :)

aecc wrote: »

Well done! I think it's high time we start a Traineeship thread/support group :D

• Advertisement

Well done! I think it's high time we start a Traineeship thread/support group :D

You might take the initiative of setting one up!

Advertisement