Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Law Firm Milkrounds 20/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭SKLaw

Lallers96 wrote: »
    Going on week 5 here and still just being used as secretarial cover for 2 offices. Sick of it, but I have no choice when they say jump I say how high.

Is this normal for a trainee to be manning the phones like a main receptionist for over a month?

No I think even if you’re manning the phones, you should still be given trainee work. With small offices, they tend to have everyone answering phones anyway but as a trainee, you should have trainee work. That’s what you’re there for and what you’ve signed up to do.

Going on week 5 here and still just being used as secretarial cover for 2 offices. Sick of it, but I have no choice when they say jump I say how high.

Is this normal for a trainee to be manning the phones like a main receptionist for over a month?

They’re taking the p*ss and shame on them for doing so.

You won’t be doing this work as a solicitor, so it’s definitely not training contract related.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

My first internship in a small office was a lot like this. I'm actually very weak when it comes to secretarial duties, such as transcribing dictations, organising files, etc. and I found that it was actually beginning to blemish the managing partner's opinion of me and my capabilities.

You need to be v careful as you're still on probation and you could be fired on a whim if they felt like you're not settling in as they had hoped you would. Having said that, I would approach the partners/solicitors and ask them if you could sit in on their next client meeting, skim through a file involving an area of law you're interested in, etc. and sort of mould your experience to suit your own interests.

At the end of the day, once your training contract begins, the firm will be required to give you exposure to at least 3 different areas of law (4 if you're attending the regular Blackhall) so you won't be able to maintain your secretarial duties.

Personally, I would grin and bear it as you have your training contract in the bag. Just hang in there and begin planting the seeds to suit yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭neon123

Well I'm very happy to say I've finally been offered a traineeship, still can't believe it!

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭FE1Hopefully1

neon123 wrote: »
    Well I'm very happy to say I've finally been offered a traineeship, still can't believe it!

Fantastic !!! When do you go into blackhall

• Advertisement

Fantastic !!! When do you go into blackhall

Cheers, the firm is looking to send me down this September so better get cracking with the paperwork!

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Lallers96

Fair play, Congrats!

Fair play, Congrats!

Cheers Laller !

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Lallers96

LawBoy2018 wrote: »
    My first internship in a small office was a lot like this. I'm actually very weak when it comes to secretarial duties, such as transcribing dictations, organising files, etc. and I found that it was actually beginning to blemish the managing partner's opinion of me and my capabilities.

You need to be v careful as you're still on probation and you could be fired on a whim if they felt like you're not settling in as they had hoped you would. Having said that, I would approach the partners/solicitors and ask them if you could sit in on their next client meeting, skim through a file involving an area of law you're interested in, etc. and sort of mould your experience to suit your own interests.

At the end of the day, once your training contract begins, the firm will be required to give you exposure to at least 3 different areas of law (4 if you're attending the regular Blackhall) so you won't be able to maintain your secretarial duties.

Personally, I would grin and bear it as you have your training contract in the bag. Just hang in there and begin planting the seeds to suit yourself.

Thank you for your detailed account. You see that's my worry as well. While I completely understand I'm in a very fortunate position and I'm happy to be in an office environment away from retail, I am just not suited to being a secretary. I don't learn anything by answering the phone and merely taking a name and number and nothing else. I always act positive and eager to do all of these admin tasks but doing them and them alone isn't enough to occupy me until 5pm, put it that way. I can't stand sitting there with nothing to do or nothing challenging in front of me.

I'll have to hang in there and I appreciate your advice. It's very reassuring to know that it is the case in some small firms that you'll do this type of work to begin with. My main worry is similar to yours, that I'm not able to show off my real capabilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭channing90

Congrats, great to hear someone on here is successful, can I ask if it was advertised on on legal vaccines etc, was it one of the Dublin ones? Since January it's been such a drag regarding jobs, working a dead end legal sec job at moment, learning stuff but then some days it's all admin **** that would put you to sleep, taking the positives and all that.

• Advertisement

Cheers, the firm is looking to send me down this September so better get cracking with the paperwork!

I’m also going September !! Might see you haha

Still trying to sort out my paperwork haha

Just got offered a traineeship and have accepted it! Thank god. I thought I’d never get one. Hopefully I get the paperwork in on time! My training solicitor said he’ll have the documents back to me tomorrow and signed. Also still waiting on the character references. Do they have to be signed or is it fine to just have the name printed at the end of the reference?

Well done on your traineeship and best of luck!

SKLaw wrote: »
    Just got offered a traineeship and have accepted it! Thank god. I thought I’d never get one. Hopefully I get the paperwork in on time! My training solicitor said he’ll have the documents back to me tomorrow and signed. Also still waiting on the character references. Do they have to be signed or is it fine to just have the name printed at the end of the reference?

Congratulations !!! Are you Dublin based ?

I’ve got my character references to put their signature because it says it needs to be an original but not sure if it really matters !

Yeah im panicking I don’t have everything ready … need to get a passport sized picture and certify my birth certificate but I’ll hopefully courier to the law society on Monday closing date is Thursday so that’ll be fine

They do accept late applications (with an added fee of course haha

Congratulations !!! Are you Dublin based ?

I’ve got my character references to put their signature because it says it needs to be an original but not sure if it really matters !

Yeah im panicking I don’t have everything ready … need to get a passport sized picture and certify my birth certificate but I’ll hopefully courier to the law society on Monday closing date is Thursday so that’ll be fine

They do accept late applications (with an added fee of course haha

Thank you! Congratulations to you too!!

I’m based in Dublin. I’m with a small firm so it’s pretty hands on which is great. I’m hoping one of my character references gets to me on time. Don’t really want to pay the late fee haha €50 is a lot when you’re a struggling student.

I’m keeping my fingers crossed for us both on having the applications in on time.

Thank you! Congratulations to you too!!

I’m based in Dublin. I’m with a small firm so it’s pretty hands on which is great. I’m hoping one of my character references gets to me on time. Don’t really want to pay the late fee haha €50 is a lot when you’re a struggling student.

I’m keeping my fingers crossed for us both on having the applications in on time.

I’m also Dublin based !!

Yeah the application fee to submit a handful of documents is ridiculous !

I’m also Dublin based !!

Yeah the application fee to submit a handful of documents is ridiculous !

I’m not entirely sure why it’s such a high fee considering we’re already paying €800+ for the application.

Maybe we’ll see each other in Blackhall!

I’m not entirely sure why it’s such a high fee considering we’re already paying €800+ for the application.

Maybe we’ll see each other in Blackhall!

Need to make some friends haha only know 1 person so far !

I rang the LS this morning to explained I only received an offer and that I might not make the deadline. She said its fine if items are sent in after and the deadline is mainly used as a benchmark for when stuff should be received. Has anyone had to get a copy of there FE-1s results? I only have a letter for the first four and a screenshot for the last 2!

• Advertisement

I rang the LS this morning to explained I only received an offer and that I might not make the deadline. She said its fine if items are sent in after and the deadline is mainly used as a benchmark for when stuff should be received. Has anyone had to get a copy of there FE-1s results? I only have a letter for the first four and a screenshot for the last 2!

I’ve no letter from any sitting … I rang and they said it was fine they are trying to send them out but that they’ll know

Well done on your traineeship and best of luck!

Thanks SK, congratulations on yours as well :)

Need to make some friends haha only know 1 person so far !

Same! So far I don’t really know anyone. Two of my friends I think are starting next year instead of this year

I don’t have a copy of my results included in my application. I just have the letter from the LS saying that I’ve passed the FE1s and should apply for indentures of apprenticeship within 5 years of passing. Would that suffice or is it better to have the results too? I also just have screenshots of the last two

I’ve no letter from any sitting … I rang and they said it was fine they are trying to send them out but that they’ll know

Cool, might ring in the FE1 section in the morning so.

So let me get this straight, if we start in Sep then we don't actually start office work until the latter part of March 2022? Also, is the PPC in person or online? Sorry, need to catch up on all this stuff as I don't no much about the process!

Same! So far I don’t really know anyone. Two of my friends I think are starting next year instead of this year

I don’t have a copy of my results included in my application. I just have the letter from the LS saying that I’ve passed the FE1s and should apply for indentures of apprenticeship within 5 years of passing. Would that suffice or is it better to have the results too? I also just have screenshots of the last two

No that’s all you need as far as I’m aware just prove you have passed all 8

So let me get this straight, if we start in Sep then we don't actually start office work until the latter part of March 2022? Also, is the PPC in person or online? Sorry, need to catch up on all this stuff as I don't no much about the process!

Yes you don’t start official in office training until 14 days after the PPC1 but if you have worked in the firm before the start then you can apply to have 4 months of training written off but you can only do that when you have completed 18 months of the training period !

No idea if online yet they haven’t said I presume it’ll be whatever mode the colleges take

Yes you don’t start official in office training until 14 days after the PPC1 but if you have worked in the firm before the start then you can apply to have 4 months of training written off but you can only do that when you have completed 18 months of the training period !

No idea if online yet they haven’t said I presume it’ll be whatever mode the colleges take

Ah great, thanks for that. It looks like I'll be joining my firm at the end of July so about a month and half before the course starts.

Ah great, thanks for that. It looks like I'll be joining my firm at the end of July so about a month and half before the course starts.

Yeah then you should be able to apply to have that month added !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 biglawhead420

Has anyone gotten the letter of the results yet? They told me it would be last week?

Advertisement