Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Law Firm Milkrounds 20/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭FE1Hopefully1

It was within a day or two of the application going up.

Hope your interview went well /goes well !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭neon123

Are people expecting an increase in TC's being offered by small/medium firms over the next few months, especially Dublin? I can only remember one being advertised in Dublin in the last two months which is bleak. I get it's another strange year in terms of what's going on in the world and it's just not feasible to take people on if they can't bring them into the office.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Lallers96

neon123 wrote: »
    Are people expecting an increase in TC's being offered by small/medium firms over the next few months, especially Dublin? I can only remember one being advertised in Dublin in the last two months which is bleak. I get it's another strange year in terms of what's going on in the world and it's just not feasible to take people on if they can't bring them into the office.

No idea, it's madness really. I'd say I've seen maybe 4 jobs posted on legal vacancies this year, and were almost halfway through the year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

Lallers96 wrote: »
    No idea, it's madness really. I'd say I've seen maybe 4 jobs posted on legal vacancies this year, and were almost halfway through the year

You should pitch the trainee grant scheme to your local solicitor's office, see if they'd maybe take a punt on you? You'd never know! They might not even be aware of the scheme.

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 LegalEagle786

Does anyone know the start date for PPC1?

I think the 6th of September (although I don't think it's been officially decided yet)

• Advertisement

LawBoy2018 wrote: »
    You should pitch the trainee grant scheme to your local solicitor's office, see if they'd maybe take a punt on you? You'd never know! They might not even be aware of the scheme.

Best of luck!

Yeah I've done that with one solicitor in my area and they will have to consult their accountant. I'm going to find time to ring around my area and pitch it to more solicitors to try to cast a wide net

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭CandyCane_81

If an advert for a training contract doesn’t explicitly say they pay for PPC I & II, is it safe to say they do not?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Lozg

Does anyone reckon it is still possible to get a paid traineeship for this September, if people drop out?

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭lsheehaneire

Hi All,

Apologies if my questions have been answered previously.

I passed all 8 last week and was intending to start to Hybrid in December 2021 but I was just wondering was standard PPC1 all done online last September?

Will it be all online again this September 2021.Surely 6 months online and not working is a better option than 9 months online and working part time? I appreciate your thoughts.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭awsah

Hi All,

I passed all 8 last week and was intending to start to Hybrid in December 2021 but I was just wondering was standard PPC1 all done online last September?

Will it be all online again this September 2021.Surely 6 months online and not working is a better option than 9 months online and working part time? I appreciate your thoughts.

From what I gather, you don't have to work during the hybrid - that you do not commence your training contract until after the first part is completed. If you are working with a solicitor you can claim 5 months towards your 24 months contract.

Essentially if you start working with your training solicitor say now and then you do hybrid and work while doing that you can count 9 months towards your 24 months training.

I think it is still faster to go the standard Blackhall Route but some people might find it easier to get a training contract when they won't be out of the office for months at a time.

• Advertisement

Hi All,

I’ve emailed a few people in the law soc to ask if it will be online in September but haven’t received any responses

awsah wrote: »
    From what I gather, you don't have to work during the hybrid - that you do not commence your training contract until after the first part is completed. If you are working with a solicitor you can claim 5 months towards your 24 months contract.

Essentially if you start working with your training solicitor say now and then you do hybrid and work while doing that you can count 9 months towards your 24 months training.

I think it is still faster to go the standard Blackhall Route but some people might find it easier to get a training contract when they won't be out of the office for months at a time.

Thanks for all the info. I am currently working in a Solicitors office and the traineeship is on the table I just want to be careful about how many days I can realistic work while doing the Hybrid. I imagine it’s a hefty workload !

Thanks for all the info. I am currently working in a Solicitors office and the traineeship is on the table I just want to be careful about how many days I can realistic work while doing the Hybrid. I imagine it’s a hefty workload !

I think the LS ask the training firm to give the hybrid trainees every Friday off, but yes, Black hall f or 6 months without work sounds like it would be a lot easier. Is your issue that you would have to move to Dublin for Blackhall?

awsah wrote: »
    I think the LS ask the training firm to give the hybrid trainees every Friday off, but yes, Black hall f or 6 months without work sounds like it would be a lot easier. Is your issue that you would have to move to Dublin for Blackhall?

I have 3 kids so it’s not an option.

oh yes well that makes sense. The question you should ask the law society is, if Blackhall is online in sept will PPC2 also be online as that is where you might have difficulty.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 baloo21

Lozg wrote: »
    I’ve emailed a few people in the law soc to ask if it will be online in September but haven’t received any responses

I had a call with the firm that I'm joining this yr (big 5) and the coordinator told us it will likely be online in September. She said this may change as time goes on, but that we should assume online learning for PPC1.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭WesternC123

I was hoping that because the Law Society plans to hold exams in person that they also believe they will be in a position to hold PPC1 in person too.

If the standard PPC course goes online this year it seems redundant to do the Hybrid doesn't it? You'd have a shorter length of time studying and you'd be qualified faster and also be able to train simultaneously

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭NewFe1

Anybody know roughly how many hours a week the workload is for PPC1? I'm not really looking for what they recommend as that's generally way more than what's needed but does anyone who's done it or knows people who have know roughly how much work you'd do a week?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭CMUL

I am in the exact same boat as you. I was planning on doing hybrid but if online in September then I would prefer that. I emailed LS about just applying as time limit is quite tight and then just transfer to hybrid if September is in person but got no reply. Apparently universities are planning for online in September my sister works in UL and there is no plan for large lectures starting then. I was hoping training section would be more efficient then fe1 sec
    tion for replying to emails!

• Advertisement

CMUL wrote: »
    I am in the exact same boat as you. I was planning on doing hybrid but if online in September then I would prefer that. I emailed LS about just applying as time limit is quite tight and then just transfer to hybrid if September is in person but got no reply. Apparently universities are planning for online in September my sister works in UL and there is no plan for large lectures starting then. I was hoping training section would be more efficient then fe1 sec
    tion for replying to emails![/quote

I got the bellow response.

“We do not have any further information on the delivery of the full-time PPCI. We will be adhering to Government guidelines with regards on-site learning”

None the wiser !

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Jeremiah25

Would paying for your own blackhall fees be common?

I'm a bit behind in the pecking order in my firm in terms of who is to attend Blackhall this coming year. What I was considering is offering to cover the cost myself as opposed to waiting another year in the hope that they may agree to send me.

Madness??

Jeremiah25 wrote: »

I'm a bit behind in the pecking order in my firm in terms of who is to attend Blackhall this coming year. What I was considering is offering to cover the cost myself as opposed to waiting another year in the hope that they may agree to send me.

Madness??

I am paying my own fees, but I too was wondering recently if many do, or if the majority get their fees covered

Madness??

i have to pay my own but I am applying for access program and susi grant and there is a possibility of receiving bursary when you begin PPC1 - all means dependent of course so not available to everyone

it's not complete madness, I would want to get started with my training as soon as possible!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭rickmatt

Anyone here back from MacGinley Quinn (Dundalk based firm) ?

Interviewed there last Monday week.

Just haven’t heard anything since.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

rickmatt wrote: »
    Anyone here back from MacGinley Quinn (Dundalk based firm) ?

Interviewed there last Monday week.

Just haven’t heard anything since.

I interviewed last week as well and they had said it would be late this week at the earliest, probably next week before they start getting back to people.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭channing90

I interviewed last week as well and they had said it would be late this week at the earliest, probably next week before they start getting back to people.

I didn't hear back but I am down in cork so wondering if ye are closer and they ruled me out because of distance?

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Jeremiah25

If the September intake is to be online would we have the option to work alongside this similar to the Hybrid course or would the law society be against this I wonder?

If the September intake is to be online would we have the option to work alongside this similar to the Hybrid course or would the law society be against this I wonder?

A trainee in our firm did the online PPC1 last September. we are a small firm so he decided he would do some hours in the office, but in no way would he have been able to work full time. he had classes during the day and tutorials and group presentations etc. The Hybrid is set up for people who are working full time but PPC1 is not

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 baloo21

Just reading through the application forms for PPC1 and the following is included in Annex to Form 1 (for the 2020 intake):

[N.N.B. The 2019 amending regulations were introduced following a thorough consultation process with
    training firms, training solicitors and trainee solicitors. The solicitors’ profession as a whole was strongly in
    favour of the proposed change that would allow for trainees serving an unbroken two year period of in-office
    training in place of that two year period being interrupted mid-way by the requirement that trainees return to
    the Society’s Law School to attend the PPCII (extending over some twelve weeks) before then returning to their
    offices to complete the unserved part of that period. The Society is delaying the implementation of the revised
    Professional Practice Course by one year to allow a thorough consultation process with the solicitors’
    profession be completed in respect of the content of the revised Professional Practice Course. The Society is
    also aware that some firms are concerned with the timing of the introduction of the new structures and are
    faced with short term administrative difficulties where their current trainees are in various stages of their inoffice training with their internal placements and rotations having been scheduled years in advance factoring in
    the said PPCII interruption. Based on the foregoing in order to allow the consultation process be competed and
    in order to mitigate the aforementioned administrative difficulties, the participants who enter on the next PPCI
    commencing in Autumn 2020 should proceed to the PPCII in April 2022 after serving 11 months of their period
    of in-office training during the April 2021/March 2022 period. The Society, in implementing this one year
    postponement of the new PPC
    , is particularly minded to ensure that the numbers of trainees being inducted into
    firms should not be reduced or delayed in any way. It is desirable that proposed trainee solicitors be so made
    aware of the reasons for this one year postponement of the move to the new single PPC structure to be followed
    by an uninterrupted two year period of in-office training (including participation in and completing four
    Advanced Electives).]

Has anyone had any confirmation from LS or firms that the new form of PPC1 and PPC2 will be in place for the 2021 intake?

Advertisement