Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple Watch

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Iguarantee

Deminiman wrote: »
    Can the Apple TV box be linked to my phone’s hotspot do you know? I’d like one but can’t get broadband where I am

Yes.

I have used my iPhone as a hotspot for the Apple TV.

• Administrators Posts: 53,506 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

If you have a Smart TV it is almost entirely pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,947 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

awec wrote: »

Well, I have a Smart TV (Android) and I use the Apple TV exclusively. Way better interface and experience, with more and better apps.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,541 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

awec wrote: »

Not really when most of them have a very sluggish UX and a UI that doesn’t compare with the Apple TV.

I wouldn’t touch anything other than a Shield but that’s probably because, despite using all Apple devices, I tend to stay away from their services if possible.

Anyway, a query about the Watch - why no Apple Notes app? While I was waiting to go shopping this morning I manually transferred my whole Google shopping list to Notes because I’m sick of face unlock and masks but then found in the shop that there’s no way of viewing Notes on the watch. I cannot fathom why it isn’t on there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

I wouldn’t touch anything other than a Shield but that’s probably because, despite using all Apple devices, I tend to stay away from their services if possible.

Anyway, a query about the Watch - why no Apple Notes app? While I was waiting to go shopping this morning I manually transferred my whole Google shopping list to Notes because I’m sick of face unlock and masks but then found in the shop that there’s no way of viewing Notes on the watch. I cannot fathom why it isn’t on there.

Not sure if any use but I just use reminders. I have a shopping list, shared with herself. We both add to it during the week via Siri/HomePod and then in the shop you can use the reminders app on the watch.

Leftwaffe wrote: »
    Not sure if any use but I just use reminders. I have a shopping list, shared with herself. We both add to it during the week via Siri/HomePod and then in the shop you can use the reminders app on the watch.

Might have to do that as she has an iPhone too. It’s just very handy to be able to add to the list on one of the Google Homes though. If Google had never removed the list from Keep it would be ok as that’s available on the Apple Watch.
    It’s still very odd though, shopping list aside, that Apples own notes app isn’t available on the watch when things like Google Keep and OneNote are. I use OneNote every day on the watch for work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

I was thinking of buying myself an Apple Watch for my birthday. Over the course of a week I concluded “should I spend a monkey on something that doesn’t actually do anything” and I concluded no.

I was thinking of buying myself an Apple Watch for my birthday. Over the course of a week I concluded “should I spend a monkey on something that doesn’t actually do anything” and I concluded no.

I wish you a very functional and utilitarian birthday, full of sensible, practical activities.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

For accessing the notes while wearing a face mask, could you not add the notes widget to the widget dashboard (left of home) and view it there while the phone is locked? Eg just swipe to the right and have the notes list there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭tina1040

Can you make/receive calls/texts/whatsapp , play spotify on the apple watch 6 without having the phone in your pocket, say out for a run?

I'm thinking of getting one for my son's 21st birthday and I don't use one so sorry if it's a stupid question.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭dmn22

tina1040 wrote: »
    Can you make/receive calls/texts/whatsapp , play spotify on the apple watch 6 without having the phone in your pocket, say out for a run?

I'm thinking of getting one for my son's 21st birthday and I don't use one so sorry if it's a stupid question.

If you get a cellular watch and have a sim to use in the watch then yes.

The standard Apple watch doesn't have this functionality.

The cellular watches are bit more expensive.

dmn22 wrote: »
    If you get a cellular watch and have a sim to use in the watch then yes.

The standard Apple watch doesn't have this functionality.

The cellular watches are bit more expensive.

This is incorrect. The cellular versions of the Apple Watch don't use a physical SIM, the way a regular phone does. They use an eSIM, which is technology that allows the watch to connect to the cellular network without having a physical SIM.

There's currently no carrier in Ireland that supports eSIMs, so having a cellular Apple Watch here won't allow you to make or take calls, or use mobile network data, if you don't have your phone with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Craigels

I purchased the series 6 gold stainless steel cellular from Amazon specifically because I wanted that gold colour and it the rose gold on the aluminium watch. I have cellular turned off and it connects with my phone to be able to reply to messages and answer calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Craigels wrote: »
    I purchased the series 6 gold stainless steel cellular from Amazon specifically because I wanted that gold colour and it the rose gold on the aluminium watch. I have cellular turned off and it connects with my phone to be able to reply to messages and answer calls.

you have to be within bluetooth/wifi range for this to work though. The poster wants to be able to receive cellular calls/texts whilst leaving their phone at home (i.e. whilst exercising).

if the phone is nearby the watch will disconnect from cellular to reserve battery life on the watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭BrianJD

Sorry if this is somewhere in the previous 62 pages.

Is there any point in buying an Apple Watch 3 series or is it like buying an iPhone 7 and will it lose ability to be updated?

Considering that or a fit bit versa 2 or
    3. Mainly want to track steps and read messages.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

Anyone having issues with VO2 tracking?

Exercise wise I haven’t changed anything but for the last 4/5 days it’s stopped tracking. It did this before the recent software update. I have unpaired and set up the watch again as a new watch and not a restore and I’m still having the same issue.

It’s a series 6 and a 12 pro max if that makes any difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭gaillimh

Anyone any recommendations of where to pick up an Apple Watch SE for the best price? The announcement of offline Spotify support is making one seem attractive to me now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

gaillimh wrote: »
    Anyone any recommendations of where to pick up an Apple Watch SE for the best price? The announcement of offline Spotify support is making one seem attractive to me now.

Take a look at the Apple Watch 6 with cellular in Argos. I picked a 44 up for 360 last week. No idea why it was so cheap.

Take a look at the Apple Watch 6 with cellular in Argos. I picked a 44 up for 360 last week. No idea why it was so cheap.

Thanks for the tip. Strange - looking at their website - they have some series 6 ones for €600 and others that appear to be the exact same for €360 (all 44 and cellular models).

• Advertisement

gaillimh wrote: »
    Thanks for the tip. Strange - looking at their website - they have some series 6 ones for €600 and others that appear to be the exact same for €360 (all 44 and cellular models).

I assume the price is down to the fact that you can’t get an esim in this country but works perfectly fine and exactly like the gps model.

I assume the price is down to the fact that you can’t get an esim in this country but works perfectly fine and exactly like the gps model.

Strange though as the ones for €600 are cellular models. €360 a great price

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Argos Ireland and UK share stock. It’s stock clearing from the UK stores to make way for newer models in autumn. Maybe they bought way more than they sold (pandemic exercise craze) and now can’t shift them so they’re discounted.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭coach22

Argos Ireland and UK share stock. It’s stock clearing from the UK stores to make way for newer models in autumn. Maybe they bought way more than they sold (pandemic exercise craze) and now can’t shift them so they’re discounted.

Seems like a really good price, just picked one up in Argos, thanks to whoever posted this!

They have had them at that price for a good while but you couldn’t order one due to the restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

Has anybody been able to download music from Spotify to their watch yet? The option still isn’t available for me or my girlfriend

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Irreverent

Has anybody been able to download music from Spotify to their watch yet? The option still isn’t available for me or my girlfriend

No not yet. I’m sure it’s coming but no news yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Probes

I got a watch yesterday, it’s been surprisingly difficult to set up properly considering it’s an apple product. Subscription problems, connection problems, losing sync. Anyway, it seems to be working now but I tried the sleep app last night because I’m definitely struggling with sleep, it reported that I got a lovely 8 hours and 20 mins this morning even through I was up for around 3 hours reading my iPad in the middle of the night, seems a bit weird it didn’t pick up on that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Probes wrote: »
    I got a watch yesterday, it’s been surprisingly difficult to set up properly considering it’s an apple product. Subscription problems, connection problems, losing sync. Anyway, it seems to be working now but I tried the sleep app last night because I’m definitely struggling with sleep, it reported that I got a lovely 8 hours and 20 mins this morning even through I was up for around 3 hours reading my iPad in the middle of the night, seems a bit weird it didn’t pick up on that?

The sleep functionality is useless because as far as I can tell it just assumes you went to bed and woke at the times you've scheduled it. You have to turn on sleep mode on the watch too and it just starts from then. There are much better alternatives but they are paid.

I had no issues with setup, all up and running in a few minutes and been perfect ever since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭ec18

Probes wrote: »

All the watches use movement as a gauge for sleep, so even though you were awake you were probably reasonably static reading so the watch thought you were asleep...same thing happened with my watch it's just a technology limitation atm

Advertisement