Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple Watch

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Probes

The sleep functionality is useless because as far as I can tell it just assumes you went to bed and woke at the times you've scheduled it. You have to turn on sleep mode on the watch too and it just starts from then. There are much better alternatives but they are paid.

I had no issues with setup, all up and running in a few minutes and been perfect ever since.

Do you mean there are alternative apps for the watch or alternative hardware?

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Probes

ec18 wrote: »
    All the watches use movement as a gauge for sleep, so even though you were awake you were probably reasonably static reading so the watch thought you were asleep...same thing happened with my watch it's just a technology limitation atm

Yeah that’s what I thought, but I was surprised the fact I was using the iPad didn’t register with the watch. Anyway, I really got it for the fitness side of things and I’m really liking that. I was only planning on wearing it for fitness sessions but actually I realise that it’s handy to wear it all day which is something I wasn’t expecting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Probes wrote: »
    Do you mean there are alternative apps for the watch or alternative hardware?

Sorry should have been clearer, yeah its alternative apps;

https://9to5mac.com/2021/01/21/best-apple-watch-sleep-tracking-apps/

Haven't used them as I'm not too bothered about it (and wonder how accurate it actually is) but have heard good things about Sleep++

• Registered Users Posts: 14 AnTarbh

Just bought an Apple Watch and waiting on delivery.

At the moment I use my phone to track my steps etc... when I set up my Apple Watch does it automatically sync all my old data such as average steps per week/month/year?

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭PaulT21

AnTarbh wrote: »

At the moment I use my phone to track my steps etc... when I set up my Apple Watch does it automatically sync all my old data such as average steps per week/month/year?

You will be fine. Enjoy your new watch :D

https://support.apple.com/en-ie/guide/watch/apd3bf6d85a6/watchos

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,435 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

AnTarbh wrote: »

Doesn't really work that way. Your watch is linked to your phone so all your data will link to your existing data on your phone and its health app.

All cloud driven anyway and linked to your Apple ID sign in and not really driven by device if that makes sense.

You’ll need a third party app to track steps on an Apple Watch anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

You’ll need a third party app to track steps on an Apple Watch anyway.

The built in fitness app does this?!? The watch shows steps for the current day, if you want more you go to the fitness or health app on your iPhone.

The built in fitness app does this?!? The watch shows steps for the current day, if you want more you go to the fitness or health app on your iPhone.

Sorry I may be thinking of a screen supply of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭sharky86

Anyone know when we can download Spotify offline to watch 6?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭bdmc16

Hi all, new to Apple Watch so appreciate any input on this question.

I’ll be gifting an Apple Watch SE to my wife but wondering if worth it to pay extra for cellular as my understanding was none of networks in Ireland support it so would be a waste ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

bdmc16 wrote: »
    Hi all, new to Apple Watch so appreciate any input on this question.

I’ll be gifting an Apple Watch SE to my wife but wondering if worth it to pay extra for cellular as my understanding was none of networks in Ireland support it so would be a waste ?

Don’t waste your money. No one provides the service and not likely to.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭bdmc16

Don’t waste your money. No one provides the service and not likely to.

Cheers , thanks for the confirmation

Vodafone supporting eSIMs from the 2nd of July.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭PaulT21

Vodafone supporting eSIMs from the 2nd of July.

Any confirmation that they will work on Apple Watches :confused: There is no mention of the watch in the press release and another user suggested there are limitations on the networks :rolleyes: Lets live in hope though :D

PaulT21 wrote: »
    Any confirmation that they will work on Apple Watches :confused: There is no mention of the watch in the press release and another user suggested there are limitations on the networks :rolleyes: Lets live in hope though :D

Looks like it’s a no.

https://www.independent.ie/business/technology/mobileesim-cards-are-coming-to-irish-phones-but-not-apple-watches-40577327.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

FFS. What’s the hold up, don’t they realise this a further opportunity to gouge.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 askpt

FFS. What’s the hold up, don’t they realise this a further opportunity to gouge.

It’s so annoying. I would pay extra to have the cellular on Watch. With eSIM coming in, they really should try get it working on watches. I only see wins here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

Yeah, being able to go out leave the phone at home while being able to call, text, pay for things and listen to music would be great. I believe it is coming and hopefully will be here this year.

It’ll come but I’d say Apple will be the one to announce it with the series 7.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,439 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The hold up is that right now there is almost no market for them, since the cellular watch was never sold here.

I'd say Creamy Goodness is right, Apple will announce that the cellular model is coming to some more countries when they announce the next watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭whippet

somewhat off topic question .... has anyone stopped wearing their apple watch and gone back to a normal watch.

I've had an apple watch since the first series and currently have the series 5. a week ago I forgot to charge the watch and as I was leaving the house I just picked up one of my normal watches.

I haven't used the apple watch since. It has been a really nice break from not being connected ... I know you can turn off notifications etc .. but not having the watch on means not looking at it for notifications etc.

I don't use it for exercise mainly due to the fact that it would probably get damaged in the gym and I use wrist wraps a lot of the time. So in reality the only use I get for it outside of notifications was for easier access to phone functions ... which are not all that laborious.

So this week I've dusted off a few of my nice old watches and will get some new batteries .... and by the next Apple watch announcement I should know if I want a new one or not !!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 askpt

whippet wrote: »
    somewhat off topic question .... has anyone stopped wearing their apple watch and gone back to a normal watch.

I've had an apple watch since the first series and currently have the series 5. a week ago I forgot to charge the watch and as I was leaving the house I just picked up one of my normal watches.

I haven't used the apple watch since. It has been a really nice break from not being connected ... I know you can turn off notifications etc .. but not having the watch on means not looking at it for notifications etc.

I don't use it for exercise mainly due to the fact that it would probably get damaged in the gym and I use wrist wraps a lot of the time. So in reality the only use I get for it outside of notifications was for easier access to phone functions ... which are not all that laborious.

So this week I've dusted off a few of my nice old watches and will get some new batteries .... and by the next Apple watch announcement I should know if I want a new one or not !!

In my case it’s the opposite. Never was a fan of watches until the Microsoft Band and more recently the Apple Watch. I used for sports and tracking so it’s a big plus.

Regarding your issue with notifications, perhaps you need to tune in a little bit and the new update this fall will help you better with Focus.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭whippet

I suppose what I am thinking … I don’t want to be as connected anymore.

I have been adding a lot of smart tech to the home over the last few year … everything from EV car apps, robotic lawnmower, ovens, dishwasher, security cameras, smart lighting, electric gates, homepods … if I were to turn all notifications on the watch / phone would never stop and that does not take into account the multitude of communication channels from work and all the WhatsApp groups and kids actvities.

In the last week being able to put the phone down and not look at it for a few hours has been really nice .. when wearing the watch you can’t really do that properly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

I see Apple have released ECG and blood monitoring for 30 further countries including Ireland. Wonder will we be getting the cellular version this year? This is the only reason I’ve held off getting the Apple Watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭iniall

Don't know about blood monitoring, but ECG has been available in Ireland since it was introduced with the series 4, I think? My series 5 has always had it.

ECG came within 6 months but it wasn't there on launch of Series 4. Blood oxygen was a launch feature of Series 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭dubmick

anyone seen any good deals for the series 6 lately?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭skinny90

Hi Folks,

Series 6 user here.

Can anyone recommend a protective cover for it that wont fog up in the gym.

Also have a small bank on the casing so im looking to avoid further bangs/scratches.

I have a cover and they fog up instantly and the touch is useless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Tom1991

Found this one excellent but i think you nee dto order from amazon spain or germany as for some reason the uk one wont ship this .

be careful however when ordering as they also have one called liquid crystal that is basically just a clear bumper thats useless.

Advertisement