Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple Watch

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭TM2015

Mine was in Eindhoven as well, I ordered mine late enough on the night of the 13th and it was delivered on the 20th so I'd say there's a chance anyway. Hopefully you get it.

Came this morning. Chuffed!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,790 ✭✭✭rizzee

Does anyone turn off their watch each night? I'm finding (on my SE) the Apple logo shows for 2 or 3 minutes before it eventually turns on. Is it the same for everyone else? I've only about 3 or 4 small apps installed on it plus most of the stock apps. I close down all apps before turning the watch off too. Sometimes I could go 2 or 3 days without using the watch too. Would that make a difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,743 ✭✭✭Doodah7

rizzee wrote: »
    Does anyone turn off their watch each night? I'm finding (on my SE) the Apple logo shows for 2 or 3 minutes before it eventually turns on. Is it the same for everyone else? I've only about 3 or 4 small apps installed on it plus most of the stock apps. I close down all apps before turning the watch off too. Sometimes I could go 2 or 3 days without using the watch too. Would that make a difference?

Never. Put it on my charger at night and put it on first thing in the morning.

Not sure why you would bother if you have access to a charge every night. If the watch is on its side and you make any sort of movement to it, it will show the time for a few seconds and then go dark again. A useful feature!

Doodah7 wrote: »
    Never. Put it on my charger at night and put it on first thing in the morning.

Not sure why you would bother if you have access to a charge every night. If the watch is on its side and you make any sort of movement to it, it will show the time for a few seconds and then go dark again. A useful feature!

I have a Garmin for my workouts (albeit I'd use the SE for the odd walk if it was on me) and an Echo dot with clock for my night clock so no need. I'd rather have the watch at 100% and then turn it off for when I know I'm going to need it (e.g. Long work day). I'd only really use it in the office when my phone is at the desk and link up the wifi connection throughout the building so I can answer calls and send messages. I'll probably use it more once I'm back in the office full time anyway. I'd just be paranoid of charging it every night with the wear of batteries! I'm just spoilt with a 1 week + Garmin battery I guess.

Going to finally get myself an SE. Are the worth the extra for the 44mm?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

I’ve the 44mm and it’s perfect size. No way I’d go smaller. Got a little stand off Amazon that hold the puck for charging, night stand more is brilliant. Tap the table and it lights up. Excellent watch all round. Couldn’t fault it.

• Administrators Posts: 53,648 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

It depends on how big your wrists are.

Got the smaller one myself. Would have preferred the larger screen looking back!

awec wrote: »
    It depends on how big your wrists are.

Can you not get a strap to suit? I’d assume there’s people with small wrists that would like the larger screen and vice versa.

Can you not get a strap to suit? I’d assume there’s people with small wrists that would like the larger screen and vice versa.

You can get a strap but the larger one can look a bit too big on small wrists, and the smaller one will look completely lost on big wrists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭micks_address

awec wrote: »
    You can get a strap but the larger one can look a bit too big on small wrists, and the smaller one will look completely lost on big wrists.

yeah im about a 7.3 inch wrist and i went for the 44mm id say if you have simillar go for the 44. plus its got significantly more screen so you can see more and do more easily

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Just my 2c on the sizes. I was in two minds between getting the 44mm or 40mm, asked around and the consensus was to go for the 44mm as the extra real estate is worth it. I had printed off the sizes to see how'd they'd look on my wrist as lockdown meant I couldn't get to a shop with them, based on that I was leaning towards 40mm but I ended up getting the 44mm based on the feedback I got and haven't regretted it. I can only compare to my wife's Series 3 but to me the size is perfectly fine and doesn't swallow my hand or anything. I'd recommend going for the bigger size and if you are unsure this thread on macrumours has some excellent pictures and advice https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/40mm-vs-44mm-apple-watch-s4-which-will-you-get.2136688/

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

I Implore you not to do this, whilst this is a piece of tech and usually bigger screen, more pixels etc is usually the way to go, the larger screen will look so out of place on a small wrist. it'll catch in cuffs and sleeves and generally just be annoying. There are guides out there you can print out to get the sizing right.

I've a 6.5" wrist (fairly chonky) and wear the 44mm and tbh it's just on the cusp of looking ok, if my wrist was say 0.5" smaller I'd be going for the smaller size. I also wear a 41mm regular watch if that helps the comparison.

I Implore you not to do this, whilst this is a piece of tech and usually bigger screen, more pixels etc is usually the way to go, the larger screen will look so out of place on a small wrist. it'll catch in cuffs and sleeves and generally just be annoying. There are guides out there you can print out to get the sizing right.

I've a 6.5" wrist (fairly chonky) and wear the 44mm and tbh it's just on the cusp of looking ok, if my wrist was say 0.5" smaller I'd be going for the smaller size. I also wear a 41mm regular watch if that helps the comparison.

id agree anything below 6.5 inches should probably look at the 40mm..

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Also just to add, bar looking at text messages, starting a workout and glancing at the time I don't look at the watch screen at all (say 5-10minutes max a day?), I wouldn't base my decision on bigger is better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

It does largely depend on use case. I use my golf apps on my watch where it acts as a GPS and the screen shows yardages and some other data points, the larger screen helps hugely in that case but that's an unusual usage I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭iniall

I have a 40mm on my 190mm wrist (about 7.5") and I love it. It's a little more... subtle than the 44mm, I think. No question of it "getting lost" on my wrist at all at all. I think it looks great. But obviously it's a personal preference thing. Shame trying them on is not currently an option.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

My wrist is ~7 inches and I went for the 40mm. Not a fan of big watches though. How big you like your watches is key.

Yes, the extra screen would be good but the reality is I don't tap it except to stop/start workouts every other day. Everything else is there at a glance.

Think I might wait and see when I can try them on, or even do as someone mentioned above and make up a couple of mockups. I would have been of the mind of bigger is better but I’d say my touch interaction will be minimal enough too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Hi all. Just looking for opinions on where is the best place to buy the series 6 at the moment.
    Price is important if there are good deals about but also who has the best warranty.
    Is apple care better or is some of the other warranties out there Harvey Norman,Curries etc just as good.
    I’ve been doing lots of research and not sure where to buy and I have never bought direct from apple.
    Would also like to buy local if possible but I can amend this depending on the deal.
    Many thanks

• Advertisement

rizzee wrote: »
    I have a Garmin for my workouts (albeit I'd use the SE for the odd walk if it was on me) and an Echo dot with clock for my night clock so no need. I'd rather have the watch at 100% and then turn it off for when I know I'm going to need it (e.g. Long work day). I'd only really use it in the office when my phone is at the desk and link up the wifi connection throughout the building so I can answer calls and send messages. I'll probably use it more once I'm back in the office full time anyway. I'd just be paranoid of charging it every night with the wear of batteries! I'm just spoilt with a 1 week + Garmin battery I guess.

Just an update on this, I had the watch charged to 100% and instead of turning it off I just left it in airplane mode until I needed to use it. At over 48hrs it was down to 46% and then it got me through a full workday until it hit 10% and I stuck it back on charge again. Happy with that.

Actually what might shed more light on mine is that my wrist is 8.5 inches.

Are there any goof third party charging stands out there that don’t require you to put your original charger into a cutout in it?

Are there any goof third party charging stands out there that don’t require you to put your original charger into a cutout in it?

I got this for my wife for Xmas and she’s happy out with it

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TEMINICE-Wireless-Charger-Charging-Nightstand/dp/B07YV517M8

• Registered Users Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭chabsey

I'm considering moving from Android to Apple, one of the reasons being the Apple watch, specifically for running. I use my Garmin watch for listening to podcasts and audiobooks but there are a couple of annoyances with Android + Garmin which I'm hoping iPhone + Apple watch might fix.

Currently if I have a 1 hour podcast on my phone and I listen to 30 mins of it, if I then add it to my Garmin I need to skip forward on the watch to roughly the point I was at on my phone. There's no syncing of position listened to between phone and watch and watch -> phone. This is particularly annoying with Audiobooks where you might be 5-6 hours in on a 12 hour audiobook on the phone, you want to continue on the watch but skipping forward 5-6 hours by pressing the button to jump 30 second increments takes ages. And again when you return after your run, will it update the position listened to on the phone.

So the question is, does the Apple watch sync the position listened to, back and forth with the phone?

Second, less important question is whether it's easy to have a queue of podcasts on the watch, so it'll play one, finish it and move on to a selected one next. Essentially a playlist or in the absence of a formalised playlist, just playing the next item in the list.

Thanks

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Check out Overcast, probably the best iOS podcast app.

The Apple podcast app is rubbish. It's complicated and buggy.

I believe Pocketcasts has a stand-alone watch app so I will be hoping the sync works on that. It works on everything else anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,743 ✭✭✭Doodah7

5uspect wrote: »
    Check out Overcast, probably the best iOS podcast app.

This. Works on Apple Watch and allows a user to download podcasts directly onto the watch. An Apple Watch is also compatible with AirPods so you can go for a run without you phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

I believe Pocketcasts has a stand-alone watch app so I will be hoping the sync works on that. It works on everything else anyway.

i use it , works fine

Advertisement