Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple Watch

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭dmn22

It does largely depend on use case. I use my golf apps on my watch where it acts as a GPS and the screen shows yardages and some other data points, the larger screen helps hugely in that case but that's an unusual usage I'd imagine.

Can I ask what golf apps you've found to be good? New watch owner so haven't been able to try yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

dmn22 wrote: »
    Can I ask what golf apps you've found to be good? New watch owner so haven't been able to try yet.

I've used a couple of different ones but didn't get much of a chance to test it out after I got the watch because the restrictions came back in. I used Hole 19 and Golfshot so far, hole 19 was better but I had a free trial of the premium so I think golfshot is just as good if you've the premium version.

Theres loads of alternatives though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

Got the 44mm SE a couple of weeks ago and I love it so far. Only let down is the battery. Charging it every 2nd day. I’m coming from a Fitbit versa 2 where I’d charge it every 5 days

• Registered Users Posts: 8,499 ✭✭✭micks_address

The Mig wrote: »
    Got the 44mm SE a couple of weeks ago and I love it so far. Only let down is the battery. Charging it every 2nd day. I’m coming from a Fitbit versa 2 where I’d charge it every 5 days

Yeahs I’m about the same Apple Watch six 44mm if I use it to track walking it won’t make the end of second day.

I'm in the habit of sticking mine on the charger in the morning when I'm having a shower, it wouldn't get back to full charge but I've never ran out of battery either. Before I started that it would usually get me to 6/7pm on the 2nd day. Mines a 44mm series. 6 as well.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

Yeahs I’m about the same Apple Watch six 44mm if I use it to track walking it won’t make the end of second day.

We need to be less active then Mick and conserve battery ;)

i must pick up a bedside charger i could throw it on handily

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭irishrover99

I order a series 6 yesterday. Does anyone know where it is shipped from?. Hopefully its not the UK. It’s hard to get any info about it online.

I order a series 6 yesterday. Does anyone know where it is shipped from?. Hopefully its not the UK. It’s hard to get any info about it online.

My SE came from China. 2 days with UPS.

• Administrators Posts: 53,506 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

My iPhone came from the UK last week and it arrived within 24 hours of dispatch.

I don't think air freight has the same delay problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

I ordered some accessories from Apple yesterday and today. Both shipped today with dhl and tracking numbers with a delivery date of tomorrow. There’s no delays unless the company isn’t set up properly for brexit and Apple are.

I ordered a series 6 before Christmas, looked like it came from Eindhoven. Tracking showed one date, no updates for a couple of days and then the date changed to about 5 days earlier but it then actually showed up the following day. Think it was 5ish days in total but the tracking didn't change until DHL had it in Ireland as far as I remember.

Thanks all. I am just concerned about paying charges when it arrives with the courier, that’s if it’s shipped out of the UK.

Thanks all. I am just concerned about paying charges when it arrives with the courier, that’s if it’s shipped out of the UK.

You shouldn’t have to? You ordered from Apple Ireland store?

Yeah there's definitely no way you're getting any additional charges.

Shouldn’t have to, but a lot of couriers are pulling a fast one with charges.

You shouldn’t have to? You ordered from Apple Ireland store?

Yep. Apple.ie
    So hopefully no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 lmcwh

Ordered an iwatch last week- shipped from China, no charges with UPS.

Ordered accessories day before yesterday arrived today from UK. Again no charges with UPS

Only thing that bugs me is they sort of charge twice for the watch. Then one of the charges stays on pending for about a week and then finally disappears. Happened both times I got a watch.

You won't pay any charges.

Even pre Brexit Apple would routinely dispatch stuff directly from China and nobody ever worried about duties then.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I see there's soon going to be an Apple Watch feature that allows you unlock your iPhone without having to use FaceID or your passcode:

https://www.macrumors.com/how-to/unlock-iphone-wearing-mask-with-apple-watch/

This would be great, given the amount of time you might in a supermarket or wherever and need to look at a list, send a message etc. Really looking forward to no longer having to deal with this first world problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭og2k7

Dades wrote: »
    I see there's soon going to be an Apple Watch feature that allows you unlock your iPhone without having to use FaceID or your passcode:

https://www.macrumors.com/how-to/unlock-iphone-wearing-mask-with-apple-watch/

This would be great, given the amount of time you might in a supermarket or wherever and need to look at a list, send a message etc. Really looking forward to no longer having to deal with this first world problem.

For that reason I started using the Bring! App. Shopping list was painful as had to enter the passcode each time to check whats next. Now i get the list before leaving and then can cross off the items from the watch. Super handy

I've signed up to the public beta of iOS and WatchOS again just to get that feature, its a genuine game changer with the masks. Makes trips to the shop so much less frustrating. My wife and I use a shared notes folder for shopping and we update it as we get stuff, every time I needed to check the list I had to enter in the passcode and then for Apple Pay the same. I know its not really that big a deal in the grand scheme of things but I am delighted with it.

I use Apple Pay on the watch instead of the phone all the time now. unlocking the phone is way too long. watch is double press side button and wave over terminal, done.

I use Apple Pay on the watch instead of the phone all the time now. unlocking the phone is way too long. watch is double press side button and wave over terminal, done.

Is there a limit on the amount for that?

awec wrote: »
    Is there a limit on the amount for that?

same limits as Apple Pay so depending on your banks limit. Think KBC is €700-800.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Iguarantee

Purchased an Apple TV on Tuesday from apple.ie

Delivered Wednesday morning by DHL.

No charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

Iguarantee wrote: »
    Purchased an Apple TV on Tuesday from apple.ie

Delivered Wednesday morning by DHL.

No charges.

I still don’t get Apple TV. If you don’t have the Apple TV subscription what’s the purpose of it? AirPlay 2? I realise at some point I’ll probably get one but I’ve no idea what for at this moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,947 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Leftwaffe wrote: »
    I still don’t get Apple TV. If you don’t have the Apple TV subscription what’s the purpose of it? AirPlay 2? I realise at some point I’ll probably get one but I’ve no idea what for at this moment.

It's a smart TV box, so if you don't have a smart TV, or your smart TV isn't very smart, it has Netfilx, Disney+, Amazon Video, YouTube, RTE Player, All 4, etc.

It has games - standalone and Apple Arcade, which you can play with a PS4 or Xbox (or other Bluetooth) controller.

It has various other apps - yoga, fitness ones, etc. My wife uses Zwift on it for cycling on her turbo trainer.

It has Airplay 2 for casting anything from your iPhone or iPad.

It has Apple Music and Apple Photos built in.

I've two Apple TV 4Ks - one hooked up to an older non-smart TV in the bedroom, and one hooked up to an Android TV in the living room. Technically, most of what it does could be done by the Android TV, but I find the interface and simplicity of the Apple TV much better than the Android TV one. The kids (and my wife) find it much easier to use too. We don't watch terrestrial or satellite TV at all any more, so literally everything we watch comes though the Apple TV, as such it's one of the most used devices in the house.

It's not an essential purchase, especially if you have a Smart TV, but it suits some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Iguarantee

Leftwaffe wrote: »

I use the Apple TV box for the following:
    • Amazon Prime Video
    • YouTube
    • Netflix
    • Disney+
    • Various workout apps that I use at home e.g. Yoga for BJJ
    • iPhotos
    • iTunes library e.g. any movie/music you bought on iTunes.

I've yet to watch any of the Apple TV+ content (you get 12 months free when you buy an Apple TV, or an iPad. So I have about 2.5 years left on my subscription.

Everyone in the house has an iPhone so you can stream, AirDrop, use the phone as a remote etc.
    It's not an essential purchase, especially if you have a Smart TV, but it suits some people.

Exactly. I don't have a smart TV, both my TVs are HD. The Apple TV has all the apps I want to use, whereas Sky has Netflix & Disney+ but not Amazon or whatever.

It just works, every time. One of my kids is 6 and can use it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Deminiman

Can the Apple TV box be linked to my phone’s hotspot do you know? I’d like one but can’t get broadband where I am

Advertisement