Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Homes to be re-valued for Property Tax in November 2021

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Augeo wrote: »
    Presumably folk with "forever homes" don't pay property tax?

No renters pay property tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,086 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

The landlords of social housing pay the LPT, like all landlords.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

Draco wrote: »
    Think of the nice new build you could get if you sold you €1m+ home. None of those maintenance issues plus you'd probably have cash left over to have an even nicer retirement.

This is usually the recommendation..... If you cannot afford it...then sell it. Or, move aside and let someone younger with a young family buy it....etc.

I have lived in this house for 27 years. Love the area. Lots of happy memories.....close to amenities.

I don't want to sell it. Each year my property tax is being paid from my accumulated savings not from new income. (already taxed accumulated savings).

Because I bought well back in the 1990's I feel that I am paying a living Capital Gains Tax rather than a Capital Gains Tax on selling. (which my children will have to pay anyway when we die).

My tax is based on nothing more than the vale of my house. It should be assessed of square footage.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Another tax increase for the state's coffers to make up for unrelated shortfalls elsewhere. Who would have guessed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,523 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

L1011 wrote: »
    No renters pay property tax.

My experience of many years of renting has me greatly amused by the property tax debate.

The rent on our apartment in Dublin went up by several hundred quid A MONTH and the LL pumped it another good bit when we moved out. Nobody important really cared because renters are likely foreign / not registered to vote in the area they live / 2nd class citizens.

Now the LPT gets reviewed once in a decade and if it goes up by 50 quid A YEAR it has political parties pissing their pants.:pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,967 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Manach wrote: »
    Another tax increase for the state's coffers to make up for unrelated shortfalls elsewhere. Who would have guessed.

And if you rent from a small time LL they pay tax here on rental income but if you rent from a German pension fund they pay no tax. Sound fair!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

Of course not, free rents, no lpt, no management fees...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

And if you rent from a small time LL they pay tax here on rental income but if you rent from a German pension fund they pay no tax. Sound fair!

Do property taxes not apply to all residential properties? I was under the impression that they did. This is a huge mistake on the part of the government if not.

I wish I was in a position to be charged a property tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

While I would have no objection in principle to property tax , I would imagine that the govt increasing taxation on property, after the debacle of the untaxed vulture funds driving buyers out of the market, could be the straw that breaks the camels back.
    It seems to be very poorly timed and could be an indication of the fiscal pressure that is coming to bear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

My experience of many years of renting has me greatly amused by the property tax debate.

The rent on our apartment in Dublin went up by several hundred quid A MONTH and the LL pumped it another good bit when we moved out. Nobody important really cared because renters are likely foreign / not registered to vote in the area they live / 2nd class citizens.

Now the LPT gets reviewed once in a decade and if it goes up by 50 quid A YEAR it has political parties pissing their pants.:pac::pac::pac:
    Well, it's really opposition politicians, looking for opportunities and still trying to persuade people that abolishing anything that is not VAT, corporation or income tax is actually a smart idea.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

C14N wrote: »
    Do property taxes not apply to all residential properties? I was under the impression that they did. This is a huge mistake on the part of the government if not.

They apply to all properties not rented from a local authority (because there is no point in the admin effort of an LA paying themselves). The poster you are quoting is talking about income tax (and oversimplifying it too)

is_that_so wrote: »
    Well, it's really opposition politicians, looking for opportunities and still trying to persuade people that abolishing anything that is not VAT, corporation or income tax is actually a smart idea.

I think FG ducked it a few times too over the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Can you set out how they pay no tax?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Isn't this a case of updating the data to get everyone in the right bands, and then the bands being changed that the amount paid is less for everyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I think FG ducked it a few times too over the last few years.
    Yeah, it's been a while coming, the positive here is the rolling in of the post-2013 houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

This exactly.

It's laughable that the media are trying to put out stories of "winners and losers" in the LPT reform and a Q&A as to how it applies as if it is such a big deal.

€100 euro per year for one third of people - PER YEAR! Meanwhile, 60% won't pay anything additional! Our rent as gone up 100euro per month average each of the last four years to put this in context. It's pathetic and embarrassing that people would even worry about the LPT potential increases.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

hots wrote: »
    Isn't this a case of updating the data to get everyone in the right bands, and then the bands being changed that the amount paid is less for everyone?

Yes, from what I've read it's mostly just a re-shuffling of the property taxes so that houses are now assessed at more up-to-date values. The main source of new revenue on this seems to be that houses built 2013 or later were previously exempt from paying at all, and now they won't be. For most everyone else (except those with properties over €1m or so), it seems like the value will go up, but the rates will go down to compensate.

This exactly.

It's laughable that the media are trying to put out stories of "winners and losers" in the LPT reform and a Q&A as to how it applies as if it is such a big deal.

€100 euro per year for one third of people - PER YEAR! Meanwhile, 60% won't pay anything additional! Our rent as gone up 100euro per month average each of the last four years to put this in context. It's pathetic and embarrassing that people would even worry about the LPT potential increases.

Yes, the changes are utterly insignificant, in comparison with the public finances.

An extra 60m-70m revenue is tiny, given a 17bn deficit.

It gets a lot of news coverage because:
    • it is a salient tax
    • Irish people are obsessed with houses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Jerry Attrick

Why doesn’t the government tax the rental income of investment properties owned by cuckoo funds.

You know, make the rich pay some tax?

Might I suggest that in the next election you vote for a party that supports that kind of populist nonsense?

Then, if enough people follow your lead, you'll find out why.

• Advertisement

Taxes have held up fairly well during COVID.

It's the expenditure that has massively increased.

This is usually the recommendation..... If you cannot afford it...then sell it. Or, move aside and let someone younger with a young family buy it....etc.

I have lived in this house for 27 years. Love the area. Lots of happy memories.....close to amenities.

I don't want to sell it. Each year my property tax is being paid from my accumulated savings not from new income. (already taxed accumulated savings).

Because I bought well back in the 1990's I feel that I am paying a living Capital Gains Tax rather than a Capital Gains Tax on selling. (which my children will have to pay anyway when we die).

My tax is based on nothing more than the vale of my house. It should be assessed of square footage.

Get some good advice.

You are probably sitting in a million quids worth of house. A child can inherit 335,000 from a parent tax free, if you have a few kids share it the tax will be very little.

Murph85 wrote: »
    Of course not, free rents, no lpt, no management fees...

LPT is paid on social housing, subject to the existing exemptions.

While I would have no objection in principle to property tax , I would imagine that the govt increasing taxation on property, after the debacle of the untaxed vulture funds driving buyers out of the market, could be the straw that breaks the camels back.
    It seems to be very poorly timed and could be an indication of the fiscal pressure that is coming to bear.

Asking people who bought houses built since 2013 to start paying LPT, like all other house owners, will hardly cause a crisis?

We have a huge fiscal deficit, we must reduce it.

This extra 60m will help, in a very small way.

L1011 wrote: »
    They apply to all properties not rented from a local authority (because there is no point in the admin effort of an LA paying themselves).

Are you sure LA don't pay LPT on the houses they own?

I see your point about the admin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

Geuze wrote: »
    Yes, the changes are utterly insignificant, in comparison with the public finances.

An extra 60m-70m revenue is tiny, given a 17bn deficit.

It gets a lot of news coverage because:
    • it is a salient tax
    • Irish people are obsessed with houses

While I think it is so little as to barely warrant comment for existing LPT payers, the bigger issue is that it is another effort of the government to raise taxes in order to feed its already bloated size and intrusion into our lives. Importantly, I note that the line being fed with the reform is that the money raised is to be kept with the local authorities for services in the local areas.

Does "services" include entering into 20/25 year leases with investors for 85/90% of inflated market rents? I haven't found an answer to this yet but my guess is that local authority services includes the provision of local authority housing in an area which, as we know, involves entering into these leases. Where property owners didn't appreciate the scale of the rental crisis as they were not impacted, now they are being asked to pay more in order to sustain the policy which has inflated the rental market and will continue to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

Geuze wrote: »
    Asking people who bought houses built since 2013 to start paying LPT, like all other house owners, will hardly cause a crisis?

We have a huge fiscal deficit, we must reduce it.

This extra 60m will help, in a very small way.

The juxtaposition is key.

Does "services" include entering into 20/25 year leases with investors for 85/90% of inflated market rents? I haven't found an answer to this yet but my guess is that local authority services includes the provision of local authority housing in an area which, as we know, involves entering into these leases. Where property owners didn't appreciate the scale of the rental crisis as they were not impacted, now they are being asked to pay more in order to sustain the policy which has inflated the rental market and will continue to do so.

RAS and HAP expenditure are part of LA expenditure, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Deub

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    Can you set out how they pay no tax?

Thanks

If they use REITs..
    PDF from the Revenue updated in May this year: https://www.revenue.ie/en/tax-professionals/tdm/income-tax-capital-gains-tax-corporation-tax/part-25a/25a-00-01.pdf

"REITs are not chargeable to either corporation tax in respect of income from their property rental business or chargeable gains accruing on disposal of assets of their property rental business."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Jerry Attrick

Of course not!

Their Local Authority, as the owner of the property, is liable to pay the LPT on it.

Advertisement