Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly me to the Moon - your 3rd travel Megathread - read OP

• 01-06-2021 9:45pm
    Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 74,773 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

Anyone who does decide to take a trip to the Moon should understand they will be subject to Mandatory Hotel Quarantine on return. Also make sure your vaccine passport is up to date

Thread 1
    Thread 2

Threadbans carry over:
    Tallyrand
    joe exotic
    Dante7
    monkeybutter
    ninebeanrows
    Mr. Karate
    scamalert
    Chuck Norris 2021 -
    $hifty
    Micky 32

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

Jupiter or Mars..anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

speckle wrote: »
    Jupiter or Mars..anyone?

But but the Martian variant....

Trips to Mars were never banned, you can travel to Mars for essential reasons, no one is going to turn you around at the spaceport.

You won’t get the 2K fine if your trip is for essential reasons, so the fine won’t prevent you going to Mars.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

So no Statutory Instrument as of yet to extend the €2,000 fine. Are we in the clear?

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭JojoLoca

So no Statutory Instrument as of yet to extend the €2,000 fine. Are we in the clear?

Nothing posted yet, so let’s hope

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Feria40

JojoLoca wrote: »
    Nothing posted yet, so let’s hope

Think it may be midnight tonight it expires..? Could yet be a last second job from Donnelly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,811 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I know people want it gone, I do too, but I just can't see them NOT extending it to the 19th July. Would be delighted to be wrong - not that I'll be travelling until we see just how easy it'll be once people start flying again - immigration delays etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Rosereynolds

fingers and toes crossed

• Registered Users Posts: 15,196 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Don't get your hopes up, it's absolutely going to be extended until July, it'll likely expire at 23:59 on the 18th

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

Don't get your hopes up, it's absolutely going to be extended until July, it'll likely expire at 23:59 on the 18th

Do they have to renew before it expires, or can it be expired a few days then extended?

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

Valhallapt wrote: »
    Do they have to renew before it expires, or can it be expired a few days then extended?

Not sure, does it depend on the extension of his other super powers?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

The last time it was extended they did it on the expiry day so don’t get excited until this evening

• Registered Users Posts: 10,150 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

faceman wrote: »
    The last time it was extended they did it on the expiry day so don’t get excited until this evening

The prior SI was on the day before (9 May) although not effectively published until 10/5. We will have to wait until then end of today at least and possibly tomorrow before there is any sort of clarity.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭naufragos123

How do you know that? Do you know something the rest of us don't?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 northcider85

It's due for debate in the Dáil this evening at 6.30pm. As the Dáil schedule mentions "to conclude within 150 mins". Might be a late one so.
    I fully expect it to pass through unfortunately. Unless a group of senators / TD's band together to propose a specific amendment to the Garda powers about fines

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

I wouldn't be so sure. Its more than likely going to be extended but it's not a foregone conclusion.

If it's extended to 18th July, then we'll be going from no non essential travel with a 2k fine in place for such travel and PCR tests before arrival, a do not travel advice, along with 14 day home quarentine or 5 day if get a follow up negative PCR test. To switch from this on the 18th July to the 19th July where there will be no non essential warning or fine in place, no advisory not to travel, no quarentine as long as have vaccine or PCR. The airports can't just switch on like that.

It would make sense to gradually ease, remove fine now but still a no non essential travel and do not travel advice. Maybe drop quarentine for vaccinated people in a few weeks etc., so airports can get up to speed. Now just because it makes sense doesn't mean they'll do it but I wouldn't take it as definite it'll be extended. I wouldn't be surprised if the guards look for the fine to be removed too, it's taking up a lot of their resources for a law/fine that they are finding hard to enforce going by the article in the Independent.ie the other day, resources that they'd probably love to use in the city centre instead, especially after last weekend and the crowds gathering.

Maybe I'm just trying to believe what I want to happen,flights booked mid June and going either way :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Valhallapt wrote: »
    But but the Martian variant....

Trips to Mars were never banned, you can travel to Mars for essential reasons, no one is going to turn you around at the spaceport.

You won’t get the 2K fine if your trip is for essential reasons, so the fine won’t prevent you going to Mars.

I note the Independent is now calling one of the the Indian variants, the 'Delta' variant. That now officially makes it a 'scariant'. I'd expect more of these names, becoming increasingly more terrifying as numbers drop. DublinLive will have a field day: 'Reopening under threat at Delta death variant doubles in a week. Dublin doomed.'

Tazz T wrote: »
    I note the Independent is now calling one of the the Indian variants, the 'Delta' variant. That now officially makes it a 'scariant'. I'd expect more of these names, becoming increasingly more terrifying as numbers drop. DublinLive will have a field day: 'Reopening under threat at Delta death variant doubles in a week. Dublin doomed.'

I have no idea what this post means but variants are now being named after the letters of the Greek alphabet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,811 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Imagine DublinLive foaming at the mouth once we get to the Omega variant. They'll combust :pac:

Feria40 wrote: »
    Think it may be midnight tonight it expires..? Could yet be a last second job from Donnelly

Last time it didn't show up online until the afternoon but he had signed it that morning.

Why do people get so uptight about this opinion? The user, has expressed an opinion. An opinion based on the statements made by those in power.

The government knows full well that if they drop the fine, the gates are open.

• Advertisement

Klonker wrote: »
    I wouldn't be so sure. Its more than likely going to be extended but it's not a foregone conclusion.

If it's extended to 18th July, then we'll be going from no non essential travel with a 2k fine in place for such travel and PCR tests before arrival, a do not travel advice, along with 14 day home quarentine or 5 day if get a follow up negative PCR test. To switch from this on the 18th July to the 19th July where there will be no non essential warning or fine in place, no advisory not to travel, no quarentine as long as have vaccine or PCR. The airports can't just switch on like that.

It would make sense to gradually ease, remove fine now but still a no non essential travel and do not travel advice. Maybe drop quarentine for vaccinated people in a few weeks etc., so airports can get up to speed. Now just because it makes sense doesn't mean they'll do it but I wouldn't take it as definite it'll be extended. I wouldn't be surprised if the guards look for the fine to be removed too, it's taking up a lot of their resources for a law/fine that they are finding hard to enforce going by the article in the Independent.ie the other day, resources that they'd probably love to use in the city centre instead, especially after last weekend and the crowds gathering.

Maybe I'm just trying to believe what I want to happen,flights booked mid June and going either way :D

There's logic in this approach but the Gardai won't ask for anything. Drew will just say it's fine, no issues at all and continue as is.

The airport should be getting ready as it is, they have a date for full operations to resume and the airport has gotten busier since the local restrictions ended anyway.

It would be great for me if they do drop the quarantine for vaccinated people and I'm hoping that does happen but as that's for incoming flights, I don't see it being linked to the fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,196 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Pretty self explanatory really, non essential travel is penciled in from 19th July, therefore the barriers that impede non essential travel would likely stay in place until then. Wouldn't make sense to me to say 19th July then drop the barriers that impede it in June

Just had to wind up the refund arrangements for a much looked-forward to voyage from Alaska to Japan via Aleutian Islands and Russian Far East. The only way I'm comforting myself is by realising I'll have plenty more money back in my pocket. But nowhere to spend it, outside of wasting it on some ludicrously overpriced place in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Pretty self explanatory really, non essential travel is penciled in from 19th July, therefore the barriers that impede non essential travel would likely stay in place until then.

But it expires at midnight, so theoretically you could hop on the Ryanair 6.15 to Barcelona in the morning while Donnelly is still in his scratcher and not be subject to a fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭DSN

Is anyone actually getting fined these days curious to know this & have many (any) actually paid it?

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭LeeroyJ.

Loads of people already got vaccinated and from what I've gathered the HSE will be issuing the Green Cert for travel. Has anyone found out how people that already received the vaccine will be able to obtain the Cert?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

Catmaniac wrote: »
    Just had to wind up the refund arrangements for a much looked-forward to voyage from Alaska to Japan via Aleutian Islands and Russian Far East. The only way I'm comforting myself is by realising I'll have plenty more money back in my pocket. But nowhere to spend it, outside of wasting it on some ludicrously overpriced place in Ireland.

Cool journey itinary... was it to be by independantly by boat/plane or cruise? Ive friends from Alaska...links via studying to Japan and have always wanted to visit the wilds of Russia even before watching the two on motorbikes...the long way around. Hard luck... try maybe to spend the time/money planning an even more spectacular trip for next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Fils

LeeroyJ. wrote: »
    Loads of people already got vaccinated and from what I've gathered the HSE will be issuing the Green Cert for travel. Has anyone found out how people that already received the vaccine will be able to obtain the Cert?

They are setting up a department to deal with this, ngct.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 kickmark19

I am booked to fly Mexico -> Lisbon -> Dublin on July 18th. Is there any benefit in me pushing the flight back a day and arriving on July 19th instead? I have no issue doing at home quarantine for 5 days + test, just curious about my options.

• Advertisement

But it expires at midnight, so theoretically you could hop on the Ryanair 6.15 to Barcelona in the morning while Donnelly is still in his scratcher and not be subject to a fine.

It will be restored before midnight unless he messes up. He can extend by a week now

Advertisement