Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly me to the Moon - your 3rd travel Megathread - read OP

Options

Comments

kickmark19 wrote: »
    I am booked to fly Mexico -> Lisbon -> Dublin on July 18th. Is there any benefit in me pushing the flight back a day and arriving on July 19th instead? I have no issue doing at home quarantine for 5 days + test, just curious about my options.

An extra day saves hassle of you are vaccinated

LeeroyJ. wrote: »
    Loads of people already got vaccinated and from what I've gathered the HSE will be issuing the Green Cert for travel. Has anyone found out how people that already received the vaccine will be able to obtain the Cert?

It's in the works but in theory, they know you are vaccinated so should be able to login and print / download the code for scanning.

I would think it makes sense to include it in the covid app

DSN wrote: »
    Is anyone actually getting fined these days curious to know this & have many (any) actually paid it?

Yes and yes

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭naufragos123

Why do people get so uptight about this opinion? The user, has expressed an opinion. An opinion based on the statements made by those in power.

The government knows full well that if they drop the fine, the gates are open.

Why do you get so uptight about every little thing you see in a post that you don't like?

The gates will not necessarily open as 1] it's not school holidays yet and 2] there are still so many issues around kids and tests that loads of families won't bother this year. And if the "gates will open" is still the Govt's repressive mentality it's very regrettable. They should be easing into the travel easing as another poster suggested. Not extending that fine would send a positive message that Ireland, like the rest of Europe, is looking to a brighter future and is getting ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

Yes and yes

I seen how many fines given out had been mentioned in the media a few times but I haven't seen anything on the number of fines paid. How do you know fines have been paid to date?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭seansouth36

Flew out of Dublin Airport on Monday morning. A long queue of cars being stopped on entry to airport; I was on Dublin Bus so dropped at entrance with no check. Two Gardai at stands just before where you scan your boarding pass. Not exactly the fifth degree:

Garda: Where are you off to?
    Me: Turkey
    Garda: For work is it?
    Me: Yes (About to take out letter from employer)
    Garda: You're grand, have a nice trip

On arrival in Turkey, no one checked my PCR result or my Turkish arrival form either in Istanbul or at any point during my connecting flight to Ankara. All very lax. Everyone in Ankara wears face masks outside, but restaurants are open. There was a curfew, and think there still is, and there's a huge amount of police checkpoints around the city - certainly a more visible reaction than in Ireland.

Will be flying to Greece in 2 weeks to escape the MHQ and Ireland's summer weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,186 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

It's due for debate in the Dáil this evening at 6.30pm. As the Dáil schedule mentions "to conclude within 150 mins". Might be a late one so.
    I fully expect it to pass through unfortunately. Unless a group of senators / TD's band together to propose a specific amendment to the Garda powers about fines

That’s a debate on a new Act to extend the MHQ from 9 June from what I can see. The non-essential travel fine is in an SI and it should only require an SI (ie no debate or vote) to pass it.

Klonker wrote: »
    I seen how many fines given out had been mentioned in the media a few times but I haven't seen anything on the number of fines paid. How do you know fines have been paid to date?

I issue them

• Registered Users Posts: 11,010 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

I wouldn't be so sure. Its more than likely going to be extended but it's not a foregone conclusion.

If it's extended to 18th July, then we'll be going from no non essential travel with a 2k fine in place for such travel and PCR tests before arrival, a do not travel advice, along with 14 day home quarentine or 5 day if get a follow up negative PCR test. To switch from this on the 18th July to the 19th July where there will be no non essential warning or fine in place, no advisory not to travel, no quarentine as long as have vaccine or PCR. The airports can't just switch on like that.

It would make sense to gradually ease, remove fine now but still a no non essential travel and do not travel advice. Maybe drop quarentine for vaccinated people in a few weeks etc., so airports can get up to speed. Now just because it makes sense doesn't mean they'll do it but I wouldn't take it as definite it'll be extended. I wouldn't be surprised if the guards look for the fine to be removed too, it's taking up a lot of their resources for a law/fine that they are finding hard to enforce going by the article in the Independent.ie the other day, resources that they'd probably love to use in the city centre instead, especially after last weekend and the crowds gathering.

Maybe I'm just trying to believe what I want to happen,flights booked mid June and going either way :D

This could be the case but, even without going into the reasons why they are limiting travel, I don't get this logic at all. It is like saying they should remove Garda powers to sanction pubs from opening indoors now to allow pubs to open now to allow them to slowly ramp up their business to the official date in July.

I also disagree that you can't switch an airport on like that. Airports regularly ramp up quickly for busier periods, like school holidays and Christmas, and they'll know in advance how many planes will be landing/departing in advance. There is already an increase in how busy they are. Sure there will be delays on July 19 but I don't see how turning a blind eye to people breaking the rules now would make a significant difference to this.

Why do you get so uptight about every little thing you see in a post that you don't like?

The gates will not necessarily open as 1] it's not school holidays yet and 2] there are still so many issues around kids and tests that loads of families won't bother this year. And if the "gates will open" is still the Govt's repressive mentality it's very regrettable. They should be easing into the travel easing as another poster suggested. Not extending that fine would send a positive message that Ireland, like the rest of Europe, is looking to a brighter future and is getting ready.

I'm not uptight or annoyed at all but again, why do people jump on posts they don't like so much? It's just an opinion of the user.

The second part of your post. No one said otherwise, no one said it wasn't sensible. In fact I agreed with that user but again, you jump, why? I'm not the government. I didn't introduce the fine

• Advertisement

I'm not uptight or annoyed at all but again, why do people jump on posts they don't like so much? It's just an opinion of the user.

The second part of your post. No one said otherwise, no one said it wasn't sensible. In fact I agreed with that user but again, you jump, why? I'm not the government. I didn't introduce the fine

I think we know who's jumping here ;) so let's leave it there, why don't we. :)

I issue them

Sure you do.

I think we know who's jumping here ;) so let's leave it there, why don't we. :)

Yes, it was you, you jumped on that poor chap who expressed his opinion then went on about a post that neither he nor I had disagreed with.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

We still need the public sector block on non-green-list travel removed. That seems to have gone quiet - even with the ransomware it seems to have gone very quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Wallander

I suspect the only thing that could prevent an extension of the fine is if the EU had a word with the government about it without our knowledge.

That's not impossible - I know a lot of complaints were submitted to them, and the government was willing to drop hotel quarantine from the EU well ahead of 19 July due to pressure from Brussels. It's also possible the EU could have been placated by the fact a date is in place to drop it. We shall see!

We still need the public sector block on non-green-list travel removed. That seems to have gone quiet - even with the ransomware it seems to have gone very quiet.

It was made worse in March. Cant even leave on essential business without telling our lot before

Foxtrol wrote: »
    This could be the case but, even without going into the reasons why they are limiting travel, I don't get this logic at all. It is like saying they should remove Garda powers to sanction pubs from opening indoors now to allow pubs to open now to allow them to slowly ramp up their business to the official date in July.

I also disagree that you can't switch an airport on like that. Airports regularly ramp up quickly for busier periods, like school holidays and Christmas, and they'll know in advance how many planes will be landing/departing in advance. There is already an increase in how busy they are. Sure there will be delays on July 19 but I don't see how turning a blind eye to people breaking the rules now would make a significant difference to this.

I think think going from one extreme one day (18th July) to another extreme the next (19th July) is a good plan. I think a gradual easing would be better (don't renew the fine today). The flood gates aren't going to open if the fine goes away. There was no fine last year summer, not even a test was needed then and numbers flying was still down significantly on other summers. As I said already, I think it will be renewed but I don't think it's a foregone conclusion and I don't agree that it needs to be.

I think think going from one extreme one day (18th July) to another extreme the next (19th July) is a good plan. I think a gradual easing would be better (don't renew the fine today). The flood gates aren't going to open if the fine goes away. There was no fine last year summer, not even a test was needed then and numbers flying was still down significantly on other summers. As I said already, I think it will be renewed but I don't think it's a foregone conclusion and I don't agree that it needs to be.

It isn't the other extreme on July 19 though. There are still specific criteria that are needed to be met to travel on that day - sure a load of people on the other thread were complaining about them, especially how it makes it nearly impossible for families. That is on top of routes that have moved elsewhere and people who are just hesitant to get on a plane.

It also isn't like there'll be this unknown 'floodgates' that will open, as they'll know in advance the number of planes and an expectation on passengers to arrive.

I agree that vaccinated people should be allowed to travel now, given there is little scientific merit to stopping them, however the government didn't make that decision so why would they take away the only real means of enforcement? I can't think of another law that is treated like that - openly extending the law but at the same time stopping enforcement. They might end up doing it but I don't think it would have anything to do with the logic you're proposing.

Foxtrol wrote: »
    It isn't the other extreme on July 19 though. There are still specific criteria that are needed to be met to travel on that day - sure a load of people on the other thread were complaining about them, especially how it makes it nearly impossible for families. That is on top of routes that have moved elsewhere and people who are just hesitant to get on a plane.

It also isn't like there'll be this unknown 'floodgates' that will open, as they'll know in advance the number of planes and an expectation on passengers to arrive.

I agree that vaccinated people should be allowed to travel now, given there is little scientific merit to stopping them, however the government didn't make that decision so why would they take away the only real means of enforcement? I can't think of another law that is treated like that - openly extending the law but at the same time stopping enforcement. They might end up doing it but I don't think it would have anything to do with the logic you're proposing.

I'm saying they shouldn't extend the law so they wouldn't be extending it and not enforcing it. Anyway, I fully expect it to be renewed in the morning but I'm still holding out a bit of hope it won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭IrishStuff09

• Advertisement

I'm saying they shouldn't extend the law so they wouldn't be extending it and not enforcing it. Anyway, I fully expect it to be renewed in the morning but I'm still holding out a bit of hope it won't.

It makes even less sense to me for them to completely ignore the announcement the made 5 days ago and not bother extending the element prohibiting non-essential travel - which was there from early on, they later added fines and then increased them.

As I said, I think there is some small hope for them letting the penalty lapse but none of that hope would be related to the reasons you've mentioned. Best of luck anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Feria40

Well son of a gun. That's my reading of it

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭dublin_paul

yep he's extended the travel fine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

Of course. It nonsensical and a lot of the time unenforceable, so of course Donnelly would keep it going.

yep he's extended the travel fine
    Feria40 wrote: »
    Well son of a gun. That's my reading of it

That appears to relate to other covid restrictions such as gatherings and events and not travel

That appears to relate to other covid restrictions such as gatherings and events and not travel

That's what I was thinking as well. But then thought I was perhaps clutching at straws.
    Really wish we knew for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

That's what I was thinking as well. But then thought I was perhaps clutching at straws.
    Really wish we knew for sure.

No mention of travel there that I can find

Are we to assume that it simply extends the date to 5th July covering all temporary Covid offences which incur a fine?

My reading of it is the restrictions/laws which were on the previous version that expires today is renewed up to 7th July, and the following is all the amendments. So what's on that new document are just the slight changes (gathering numbers etc.) and everything that was on the previous version has also been extended.

Now that's just my reading of it, I really hope I'm wrong!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭dublin_paul

Why did they only renew it until 7th July instead of the 19th July? It suggests to me that they won't extend again just for 12 days

Advertisement