Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

emigration

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭NSAman

Wompa1 wrote: »
    :pac:

That's a load of sh1te. I lived there for a long time in a majority Republican state. It's a complete nightmare in a lot of the US. The things we complain about here like housing\homelessness are only a tiny fraction of what is seen in the US. They found hookworm disease in some of the homeless in Alabama. When people here were talking about suicides being a major problem, the US average was a lot higher with some states even going above 16+ per 100k. Where I lived, the population was about 2 million more than Ireland but a larger land mass. The road deaths were usually over 8 times higher than Ireland's.

There's a problem in the US with people not taking their PTO for fear of it looking bad on them and possibly losing their job. I always took mine and then one year, I took my PTO and when asked by my employer how they could reach me while in Ireland, I told them I would check my email from time to time but had no intention of having a phone with me. When I was at the baggage claim in Dublin, I had an email telling me they terminated my employment. My wife and kids were still in the US and left with no proper insurance coverage. Right to work state, tough sh1t. People's paranoia is justified. The employers hold all the cards.

In the hospitals I worked in there, they had notes on some of the mobile workstations in the A&E with direction on how to handle admission for unconscious patients who they couldn't figure out the insurance info for. During the height of COVID-19, we had support tickets asked if there was a way to increase the volume on the iPads or provide headphones because patients couldn't hear their loves ones with all the loud droning sounds from all the ventilators running on that floor.

Taxes are a good thing if invested properly. My former work colleague was paying $1,400 a month for pre-school for his son. Here, I pay 104 euro a month. There, they had ads opposing solar subsidies and energy companies were one of the largest lobbying forces. I was paying $150-$200 a month in the winter for electricity and 300-450 in the summer, here I'm paying less than 100 euro a month for electricity and most of it wind generated these days. I have also yet to lose power here in 2 years, where as we lost power 5 times in my last summer there...during heatwaves with young children in the house...our neighbor had cancer the poor f*cker.

America is a sh1t hole country. Far far worse than Ireland. I have never lived in Canada so if someone wanted to claim Canada is superior, there's not too much I could add to that but the idea that life in the US is better is laughable. All that without getting into the whole extremism and children getting murdered...:pac:

People might feel like our taxes are too high and we don't get a good enough return on them and it's true. We should get more for what we pay but the US is a good example of how bad things can be in a developed country.

I'm sure they miss you !

• Registered Users Posts: 20,503 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

There is an article in the Sunday Times 30 May prompted by the recent Friends reunion. An Irish woman with a good job comparing the lifestyle in the Friends apartment to the real life experience. Absolutely shocking stuff going on, and it seems you would be lucky to get anything decent for $1,000 a week where the Friends used to live.

I read similar stuff about London, whole groups of people living in garden sheds.

There is an article in the Sunday Times 30 May prompted by the recent Friends reunion. An Irish woman with a good job comparing the lifestyle in the Friends apartment to the real life experience. Absolutely shocking stuff going on, and it seems you would be lucky to get anything decent for $1,000 a week where the Friends used to live.

I read similar stuff about London, whole groups of people living in garden sheds.

But isn't that the case with people in Ireland also? Brazilians living multiples to a property? It's not easy at all when you move abroad for the first time. I know when I came to the States I was living 6 people in a two bedroomed apartment.

Some friends were living 12 to a two bed apartment.

Despite what many think, no where is easy when emigrate first. It takes years to find your feet. Some make it, some don't. It is all in the luck and chances you make for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

NSAman wrote: »
    Maybe, but there are ways of making a living without the tax man taking over half of it AND YES you work hard but you also make more.

PLUS, there are a hell of a lot more opportunities in the US than in Ireland for many.

Housing where I am is affordable (at the moment), the cost of living is rising dramatically (thanks to Biden) and the taxes while at the moment are good, if the Democrats get their way will be as bad as Ireland.

Despite all its faults and failings, the US has many benefits for immigrants, if you can get a visa/green card!

In 4 months its that noticeable? Care to put some substance behind this argument?

But isn't that the case with people in Ireland also? Brazilians living multiples to a property? It's not easy at all when you move abroad for the first time. I know when I came to the States I was living 6 people in a two bedroomed apartment.

Some friends were living 12 to a two bed apartment.

Despite what many think, no where is easy when emigrate first. It takes years to find your feet. Some make it, some don't. It is all in the luck and chances you make for yourself.

If you were in Dublin you could go 100 miles in different directions and find a good choice of property at reasonable prices. Why would someone want to go thousands of miles to places with housing crises?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,392 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Yes off I go along with my Engineers, scientists, architects, mechanics and neurosurgeons peers who are all emigrating.

I work for a company that hires scores of Irish graduates every year in engineering and data science. They’re all delighted with the salary, conditions, and scope for growth. Talking to friends, this is the case across multiple industries.

Is Ireland perfect? Absolutely not. However, you sound incredibly sour and embittered for somebody still in their 20s. The best thing you can do is emigrate for a while to gain some perspective. You’ll either love your new home and/or realize Ireland isn’t such a bad place.

Lived abroad myself throughout my 20s. Would definitely recommend it. However, I’d suggest you consider your mentality before you move. Nobody likes a sour puss, regardless of the culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

Being abroad currently for the last few years it's really given me the ability to see the pros and cons of Ireland. I think people dont see housing issues being a problem elsewhere but they really are. Im in Toronto where the price of a 1 bed + den is easily going to cost 800k, want a house 1.5 hours outside the city ? That'll still be close to a million.

As much as people might **** on Irelands 3.5x mortgage rules I think they are a godsend right now. It's stopping things from going even more mental. The solution isn't increasing house prices by 30%

• Registered Users Posts: 24,808 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I just looked up Toronto apartments, there is a standard sized verging on small sized two bedroom apartment with matchbox sized kitchen and average living room just sold for 1.1 million... well appointed for sure but not ‘luxury’ or close... mad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Purple is a Fruit

Depends on experience and age and expectation. Eastern European, African and Latin American folks seem to find the quality of life great here. People born here expect more.

Some (not all) of the negative stuff about Ireland is hysterical though. Not even a drop of perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,392 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Some (not all) of the negative stuff about Ireland is hysterical though. Not even a drop of perspective.

Very much so. It’s good to be critical of your country to identify places in which it can improve.

However, some of the commentary in this thread is more akin to a self-entitled teenager, stamping their feet and throwing a tantrum, because Ireland isn’t serving them up a dream life on a silver platter.

I’m still in my 30s myself, but I feel like there is a massive generational gap with those in their early 20s. Some twenty-somethings feel like the world (Ireland) owes them an amazing career and a wonderful existence, without putting in the years of hard graft to achieve it.

The world just doesn’t work like that - anywhere.

• Advertisement

Hamachi wrote: »
    Very much so. It’s good to be critical of your country to identify places in which it can improve.

However, some of the commentary in this thread is more akin to a self-entitled teenager, stamping their feet and throwing a tantrum, because Ireland isn’t serving them up a dream life on a silver platter.

I’m still in my 30s myself, but I feel like there is a massive generational gap with those in their early 20s. Some twenty-somethings feel like the world (Ireland) owes them an amazing career and a wonderful existence, without putting in the years of hard graft to achieve it.

The world just doesn’t work like that - anywhere.

While I agree, in part, people are justifiably frustrated over the state of the country. If you look outside of the main population centers, the countryside and it's towns are, and have been, sliding downhill for decades. There is a decided lack of investment in many areas, with little in the way of options for employment or even entertainment. My own hometown, which is considered one of the larger ones, has plenty of closed up businesses, with a large portion of the younger population moving to Dublin (etc) because there is little for them here. Sure, they can eke out an existence by staying behind, but with the lower population, there's a struggle to remain profitable.

Living abroad taught me to appreciate Ireland more.. however, whenever I return, I'm always a little shocked by how little it's improved (and in many aspects, declined). TBH considering how expensive Ireland is, and it is expensive, I would have expected a much greater degree of improvement over the last two decades.

At the same time, there is a sense of entitlement that never really was there before, which isn't healthy. Although, it's hardly surprising considering the nanny state policies of the government.

There's not many places where the population is going down. We are about to hit 5 million, up 1.2 million in the last 20 years. Where you are would be an exception.

There's not many places where the population is going down. We are about to hit 5 million, up 1.2 million in the last 20 years. Where you are would be an exception.

The overall population of Ireland is increasing. That doesn't mean that people have stopped leaving country towns or the countryside to go elsewhere. Also if you look at the populations of Dublin, Cork, Galway, etc, their populations are getting the most increases.

Edit: Actually, just checked the stats. the populations everywhere are increasing, but internal migration for young people continues away from rural areas, and there seems a fair number of older groups (40+) leaving the urban areas towards the rural areas.

Wfh might move some income around the country.

The overall population of Ireland is increasing. That doesn't mean that people have stopped leaving country towns or the countryside to go elsewhere. Also if you look at the populations of Dublin, Cork, Galway, etc, their populations are getting the most increases.

Edit: Actually, just checked the stats. the populations everywhere are increasing, but internal migration for young people continues away from rural areas, and there seems a fair number of older groups (40+) leaving the urban areas towards the rural areas.

It's good that those opportunities are available in Dublin, and people don't have to go thousands of miles away. The same thing happens in places like England, where London is the big centre of economic activity. In general a developed country like Ireland with a growing population is as sign of a healthy economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Timmyr

I get the feeling a lot of people complaining about Ireland have never lived overseas...
    I have lived in many countries and they all have their issues, Ireland is one of the better ones
    As for property, if you want to live in a major hub like Dublin then any such city in the world will have the same issue with property prices, I've just bought my first home in Auckland and believe me when I say Dublin would have been a lot cheaper!

It's good that those opportunities are available in Dublin, and people don't have to go thousands of miles away. The same thing happens in places like England, where London is the big centre of economic activity. In general a developed country like Ireland with a growing population is as sign of a healthy economy.

True, but my earlier point remains true also. The countryside/towns lag far behind the cities in terms of investment and employment, which would explain why so many people are unhappy with the state of Ireland. Just because other countries experience the same problems (more or less) doesn't detract from the issues themselves. If you compare Ireland with comparable countries like Belgium, or similar, there is a greater emphasis on the development of the countryside, and providing for the overall population.

Now, I do think Ireland is a great country, especially in the cities, but many towns are falling apart. Which is why I would sympathise with many posters who complain about the state of things.

In 4 months its that noticeable? Care to put some substance behind this argument?

Yep, it’s that noticeable. Meat prices up, all shopping prices up, gas prices up, they are paying more for second hand cars (in some cases) that they cost when new, electrical goods are up dramatically.

Inflation is very noticeable here. Mind you wages have also risen. Minimum wage jobs aren’t minimum wage jobs. Local McDs is offering $1200 signing bonus and 13.50 an hour..And rightly so, hence mcD’s prices have risen as have all fast food outlets.

True, but my earlier point remains true also. The countryside/towns lag far behind the cities in terms of investment and employment, which would explain why so many people are unhappy with the state of Ireland. Just because other countries experience the same problems (more or less) doesn't detract from the issues themselves. If you compare Ireland with comparable countries like Belgium, or similar, there is a greater emphasis on the development of the countryside, and providing for the overall population.

Now, I do think Ireland is a great country, especially in the cities, but many towns are falling apart. Which is why I would sympathise with many posters who complain about the state of things.

Belgium would not be a fair comparison. Ireland is 2.3 times bigger, but their population is well over 11 million.

I don't know what you mean by towns falling apart.

I don't know what you mean by towns falling apart.

Longford is a good example.

• Advertisement

Unfortunately the phenomenon of the rich screwing everyone over and making necessities like housing insanely expensive isn't limited to Ireland. It's basically worldwide.

I'll never get a mortgage for a house here and my mother is losing hers, the council is taking it back after she dies so I won't get that. She owns 1/5th of a piece of my late grandfathers land, her brother owns the other 4/5ths after buying the other siblings out.

I could maybe afford to build a little log cabin on that to live in but apparently you can't get planning permission for those so that's a non runner too.

I'm thinking moving abroad is still the best option because at least in other countries I won't have as many rainy nights in my tent or cardboard box or whatever I'm forced to sleep in. I certainly don't intend to keep handing over sick amounts of cash to shysty Irish landlords for mouldy kips, or to house share with strangers.

I think there will have to be some kind of communal living spaces in the future, like large apartment blocks full of en suite bedrooms similar to nursing homes or dorms but for people who are healthy and middle aged and just can't afford their own place, where you can share but still have a private area and some dignity.

Really sorry to hear about your situation. The biggest problem in Ireland is the lack of affordable accommodation, it’s been picked up by many people looking back over the thread. Rents are crazy now and houses expensive too. It would drive anyone out of Ireland, it’s a real crisis. Have young relatives here who don’t know how they’ll ever get on their feet here re housing. It’s the biggest issue here for so many people.

gansi wrote: »
    Really sorry to hear about your situation. The biggest problem in Ireland is the lack of affordable accommodation, it’s been picked up by many people looking back over the thread. Rents are crazy now and houses expensive too. It would drive anyone out of Ireland, it’s a real crisis. Have young relations who don’t know how they’ll ever get on their feet here re housing. It’s the biggest issue here for so many people.

It has been proved on the thread that New Zealand and Canada are worse than Ireland for affordability. That is if you compare things in Dublin with Auckland and Toronto. But why concentrate on Dublin? Rents and prices are not crazy in places like Longford. Longford is a lot closer than those other places.

they are paying more for second hand cars (in some cases) that they cost when new

I do not believe that, whats the source?

Timmyr wrote: »
    I do not believe that, whats the source?

Local news reports, national news reports, prices for cars have jumped as there is a lack of cars currently.

My own dealer even offered to purchase my car 2018 last week.

Just a quick search https://www.cnbc.com/2021/04/16/car-shoppers-should-buckle-up-for-high-prices-and-low-inventory-.html

Local news reports, national news reports, prices for cars have jumped as there is a lack of cars currently.

My own dealer even offered to purchase my car 2018 last week.

Just a quick search https://www.cnbc.com/2021/04/16/car-shoppers-should-buckle-up-for-high-prices-and-low-inventory-.html

I'm not arguing that car prices are expensive, but you said used cars are more expensive than new cars. This article literally says the opposite

It has been proved on the thread that New Zealand and Canada are worse than Ireland for affordability. That is if you compare things in Dublin with Auckland and Toronto. But why concentrate on Dublin? Rents and prices are not crazy in places like Longford. Longford is a lot closer than those other places.

But not everyone could move to Longford if their job was somewhere else.

gansi wrote: »
    But not everyone could move to Longford if their job was somewhere else.

The OP is preparing to go to New Zealand or Canada, because they cannot own a house here.

Timmyr wrote: »
    I'm not arguing that car prices are expensive, but you said used cars are more expensive than new cars. This article literally says the opposite

That’s not what I said, I said people are paying more for second hand cars in some cases than they cost originally…

Give me a minute… I’ll explain, dinner just up 😀

That’s not what I said, I said people are paying more for second hand cars in some cases than they cost originally…

Give me a minute… I’ll explain, dinner just up 😀

Ah okay my bad. I misread

Apologies

• Advertisement

The OP is preparing to go to New Zealand or Canada, because they cannot own a house here.

a wise choice...

I'll just leave this here https://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/homed/real-estate/125308308/rampant-house-prices-are-slowing-as-government-housing-policies-start-to-bite

Auckland at $1.265m

Advertisement