Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

emigration

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,771 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

You left out the baskets filled with free magic wands.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭ypres5

Hamachi wrote: »
    Good man. Don’t let that door hit you on the arse on your way out..

Your the second poster to have said that in the last few pages to say that and it wasn't all that funny the first time

• Registered Users Posts: 20,657 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

ypres5 wrote: »
    Your the second poster to have said that in the last few pages to say that and it wasn't all that funny the first time

I'm sure the OP won't mind. They are probably living the high life in New Zealand by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭VayNiice

Bite???? get a grip pal.
    I won't be buying, I'll be renting in a much better country than this kip and hopefully have a much better standard of living. Wages are much higher also.

If you're so happy with this place please tell me why?

While it is a truly fantastic country, living in NZ doesn't necessarily = better standard of living. Having lived in Wellington City centre myself, it's a lovely city but very expensive to rent and even more crazy to buy. Same in most parts of the country.
    Wages on average are lower and as a health care worker, I worked longer hours. General cost of living is also more expensive.

If you want to live in Wellington or Auckland long term and don't want to spend a fortune you'll likely end up living in the Hutt Valley, Petone or Porirua near Wellington or in South Auckland. Personally I wouldn't choose to live in these areas if you're searching for that better standard of living.

As I said though, fabulous country. I'd say different rather than better than Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

I am relate to many of the comments in here today.

I left Ireland 8 years ago for Vancouver, the plan was to stay for 1. It has been amazing for my career, I have expanded my skillset and knowledge to no end, and I doubt the same opportunities would have presented themselves had I stayed.

There is, however, another side to it that can be tough. While you live a life of fun and games over here (I have anyway), Vancouver does not really have that culture or fun to it. It is a very superficial place to live, is chronically expensive and is incredibly transient. Lately, mainly due to the pandemic, a lot of my closest friends have left Van or Canada, so my circle of friends has begun to close a lot.

The last year has been so tough with the passing of my uncle and then recently an old work colleague. You begin to question things a lot, and there is a large feeling of being stuck, which is mainly irrational.

I guess when I left when I was 27, I didn't really have anything to lose. Now I am 35, I think a bit more about things and actually returning to Ireland to be with friends and family. I work in tech and with remote work being the norm for much of it now, it is hard to not think of my future being at home.

Having said that, i regret nothing at all about moving when I did. I have had great highs and super low moments, but they all made me better overall and who I am today. If anyone is in the same position as I was before I left, I say leave. You can always go back.

Those that say Ireland is a "kip", there grass isn't always greener. I have seen homelessness and mental health issues like no other over here in Vancouver, drug abuse on the streets and general awfulness. Leaving Ireland because you think somewhere else is better is probably the wrong reason, you need to leave because you want to and on your own accord. Blaming a city or place doesn't really make sense to me, but to each their own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,316 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

If the country is a sh1thole as the OP says how come so many people are coming here to work from other countries.

If people want to leave here just go and don't be whinging on the internet about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

If the country is a sh1thole as the OP says how come so many people are coming here to work from other countries.

If people want to leave here just go and don't be whinging on the internet about it.

Ireland is not a sh!thole, other countries are and they come here, we have the worst politicians imaginable, worst public services despite being one of the highest tax economies in the world for all taxes combined. We have abysmal public healthcare, public transport in scant and rail services are a joke. We will be a total sh1thole in 30 years time and we are on a very dangerous path for the country. Ireland is not great, there is far worse out there but we are far from the best that people think also.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,316 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

theguzman wrote: »
    Ireland is not a sh!thole, other countries are and they come here, we have the worst politicians imaginable, worst public services despite being one of the highest tax economies in the world for all taxes combined. We have abysmal public healthcare, public transport in scant and rail services are a joke. We will be a total sh1thole in 30 years time and we are on a very dangerous path for the country. Ireland is not great, there is far worse out there but we are far from the best that people think also.

I'm no fan of politicians but if you want to blame someone for the health service look no further than the folks who run it in their cushy can't get fired jobs with a nice lump sum payment at reteirment age.

I agree with you about public transport, there is no reason we shouldn't have a system like the Brits and other EU countries have and the blame for that should be aimed as successive Governments who refuse to tackle this.

I just don't like the place being called a kip when despite the problems we need to get sorted its far from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NSAman

I'm no fan of politicians but if you want to blame someone for the health service look no further than the folks who run it in their cushy can't get fired jobs with a nice lump sum payment at reteirment age.

I agree with you about public transport, there is no reason we shouldn't have a system like the Brits and other EU countries have and the blame for that should be aimed as successive Governments who refuse to tackle this.

I just don't like the place being called a kip when despite the problems we need to get sorted its far from it.

Ireland is not a kip by any shape or means. What it is (for me especially) is incredibly frustrating.

I love home, I want to "retire" to home, but the mismanagement of so many basic issues leaves me with a sense of utter frustration.

IF and I mean IF, the health service, public transport, proper planning and politics could be sorted out so they are positions of accountability instead of passing the buck and not just jobs for life, IReland would simply be the best country in the world, IMHO!

No country is perfect and god knows where I am now leaves me with a sense of dread most mornings watching the news.

I absolutely agree with Frank above in his own experience. Home is still home and no matter how long you are away, you always want to come home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭Hamachi

I'm sure the OP won't mind. They are probably living the high life in New Zealand by now.

Or more likely, still at home bitching and moaning to anybody who will listen. Speaking as a returned emigrant, people of that mindset rarely do well at home or abroad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Fritzbox

apparently there are 700,000 New Zealanders living outside of new Zealand - up to 20% of kiwis don't live in NZ - almost the same proportion of Irish who don't live in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Timmyr

Fritzbox wrote: »
    apparently there are 700,000 New Zealanders living outside of new Zealand - up to 20% of kiwis don't live in NZ - almost the same proportion of Irish who don't live in Ireland?

You got a source for that? I dont believe it

Timmyr wrote: »
    You got a source for that? I dont believe it

Your are right to be sceptical. The figure is vastly understated. There are 700,000 Kiwis in Australia alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,872 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Ozzy is absolutely packed with Kiwis. Nearly every Kiwi will have done some time abroad too, on their "OE". They have a similar mentality with wanting to get out and experience different things like people in Ireland do. Must be an island thing, and Oz is like how UK is to us, a big brother country closest to us with more opportunities.
    I found NZ to be a beautiful place, it's like Ireland with higher mountains and nicer beaches and better weather while still being very green. The cities are pretty terrible though, really boring, like ghost towns at night. I remember we were in a place called Timaru, it has more people than Kilkenny but we couldn't find a bar in the centre that was open at night, it was a weeknight. And it's ridiculously far away, I could never live there long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

It does sound a bit mad but it's not far off - according to this, over half a million NZ born living in Australia alone in 2018. To be fair, any Kiwi I've met will generally have family and friends living over there, a bit like us with the UK.

Your are right to be sceptical. The figure is vastly understated. There are 700,000 Kiwis in Australia alone.

again, source?

maybe if you mean people of NZ descent I could believe it

• Registered Users Posts: 13,872 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

again, source?

As at 30 June 2018, there were an estimated 568,000 New Zealand-born people living in Australia, forming 2.3 per cent of the population

https://www.aph.gov.au/About_Parliament/Parliamentary_Departments/Parliamentary_Library/pubs/rp/rp1920/Quick_Guides/NewZealandersInAustralia

From the Parliament of Australia

again, source?

You can look it up yourself, instead of making up stuff.

You can look it up yourself, instead of making up stuff.

I didn't make up anything?

• Advertisement

I didn't make up anything?

The bit about people of NZ descent?

The bit about people of NZ descent?

what about it? I was asking a question

The only question I saw was this:

again, source?

The only question I saw was this:

again, source?

yep, and?

Anyway enough of this before we derail the thread

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭global23214124

Too much corruption and two-faced attitudes among Spanish people towards foreigners. On the surface, Spain looks perfect, but any long-term living there will expose you to a host of problems. The Spanish economy is due to buckle.. and they have serious problems with their administrative/political regions.

Is this the bureaucratic stuff left over by Franco's regime? I'm not really in the know about a lot of this but I've heard it can be a pain to get PPS numbers and such over there.

Is this the bureaucratic stuff left over by Franco's regime? I'm not really in the know about a lot of this but I've heard it can be a pain to get PPS numbers and such over there.

Dunno. It's just what a few people I trust have said to me (or some videos on their political situation, or what it's like to do business there).

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Spain is a complicated entity. The provinces have a fair amount of independence and each have their own complicated bureaucracy. Spain is fairly tenuously held together. Prior to Franco you had huge independence movements in many regions and then you have/had extreme left wing communists on one side and Carlists/Falange far right groups on the other. Their civil war was horrific..about 4000 priests were killed for instance. Spain is in a far more delicate position than the UK in my opinion.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

Advertisement