Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

emigration

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭NSAman

Take for example a Dodge Ram truck, up to 70k cost. As with all makes no one pays the full price. Dealer incentives, manufacturer discounts mean that anything up to 20K can be knocked off the price, pre-Covid. Then you haggle on top..:)

That truck should and could cost you around 50k. I know my own truck which I bought in 2020 February if I were to sell it to a dealer now would see a profit from the sale even though it’s 16 months old. There are no new Rams available locally. Popular truck, pristine, low mileage, but what do you do for another truck? Dealer discounts nowhere near as good or even available now.

Dinner was good by the way. ;)

As bad as we are how does a country of 3M people across two large islands, both larger than Ireland, have median house prices of ~$900k where the median salary is, as far as I can see, close to $50k? And interest rates are not that cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Timmyr

fvp4 wrote: »
    As bad as we are how does a country of 3M people across two large islands, both larger than Ireland, have median house prices of ~$900k where the median salary is, as far as I can see, close to $50k? And interest rates are not that cheap.

You talking about NZ?
    The population is 5m and while it is a bigger country, a lot of it is uninhabitable

Timmyr wrote: »
    You talking about NZ?
    The population is 5m and while it is a bigger country, a lot of it is uninhabitable

You are right about the population. It is however almost 4 times bigger.

You are right about the population. It is however almost 4 times bigger.

yes, but as I said, a lot of it cant be lived in

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/kiwi-cartographers-nobody-lives-here-map-shows-how-sparse-new-zealands-population-is/33B5DDJLJIUD2VKAFRKRXNPSYA/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Anyone basing their choice to come to New Zealand on affordability of housing has their head rammed firmly up their hole.

Any of the NZ based posters on here are saying the same thing. We're in the midst of the biggest housing crisis the country has ever seen, and with Kiwis all over the world looking to get home (and a 2 month waiting list to get in and do your managed isolation), as well as a large labour and material shortage for construction, it isn't calming down anytime soon.

As I don't plan to stay here for the rest of my life, I'm not even toying with the idea of buying into the market here, it's bonkers.

Anyone basing their choice to come to New Zealand on affordability of housing has their head rammed firmly up their hole.

Any of the NZ based posters on here are saying the same thing. We're in the midst of the biggest housing crisis the country has ever seen, and with Kiwis all over the world looking to get home (and a 2 month waiting list to get in and do your managed isolation), as well as a large labour and material shortage for construction, it isn't calming down anytime soon.

As I don't plan to stay here for the rest of my life, I'm not even toying with the idea of buying into the market here, it's bonkers.

Correct!
    Off topic, but why are you not planning on staying? and where are you going?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Correct!
    Off topic, but why are you not planning on staying? and where are you going?

This might be unpopular in this thread, but I'll probably be heading home to Ireland! My parents are there. Nothing against NZ in particular, love it here, but home is home. Congrats on your purchase in AKL by the way!

This might be unpopular in this thread, but I'll probably be heading home to Ireland! My parents are there. Nothing against NZ in particular, love it here, but home is home. Congrats on your purchase in AKL by the way!

Thanks mate, yea the family is the only thing that would draw me home.
    But my partner is from here so I'll be here long term

• Registered Users Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Many people in New Zealand find that the Earth moves for them in a way they will never experience in Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 315 ✭✭coinop

Congrats on your purchase in AKL by the way!

Did he buy property in the airport? Auckland is the name of the city. AKL is an airport. Sorry to go off on a tangent but I hate when people refer to a city by its airport's IATA. You hear it all the time with LAX yet you wouldn't refer to London as LHR (or LGW or STN). Anyway, back to the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,462 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Many people in New Zealand find that the Earth moves for them in a way they will never experience in Ireland

giggidy.

in reality earthquakes are few and far between. I've been here 10 years in August and there has only been maybe 3 of note, 1 where I've felt the need to actually get up and stand in a doorway. Most of the time its kind of fun tbh.

I'd never, ever buy a property here, they're expensive and shite quality. Building is the only way to go because you can control the standards and build to European standards rather than local ones and get a decent house for pretty much only 5% more than local standards. We've built 3 so far, moving into number 3 next week.

there are lots and lots of reasons why NZ is a better place to live than Ireland, affordability will NEVER be one of them though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Anywhere that has a good standard of living, with lots of high paying job and high demand for property, is going to be expensive for property. Dublin is not an exception. Move to any large city that is properly run and it will not be much different.

You won't find a house for under 600k where I live that doesn't require some sort of work or upgrading, you are realistically looking at 700k+. Dublin is not unique and emigrating isn't really going to solve the problem.

jester77 wrote: »
    Anywhere that has a good standard of living, with lots of high paying job and high demand for property, is going to be expensive for property. Dublin is not an exception. Move to any large city that is properly run and it will not be much different.

You won't find a house for under 600k where I live that doesn't require some sort of work or upgrading, you are realistically looking at 700k+. Dublin is not unique and emigrating isn't really going to solve the problem.

Hmm I thought Germany was relatively cheap with its cities being spread out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Always found it amazing why people don't migrate in huge numbers to the continent on our doorstep and still go for the English speaking countries.

I see a huge amount of bargains on houses in France/Spain/Italy close to nice areas and within reach of the airport. If you set yourself up properly for remote working, it's achievable.

The language is obviously a big issue but there is nothing to say you can't hold down a well paying job with a MNC whilst living on the continent. Tax being the other consideration of course....

I think the continent would be an answer to a lot of people's irks instead of running to another very expensive country where you get the awakening that they have much the same issues we have.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Hmm I thought Germany was relatively cheap with its cities being spread out.

Like anywhere, it's a lot more affordable outside the main cities. This is what it is like currently in Hamburg. Frankfurt and Munich would be more expensive, but move out to a small town and you will pay a lot less, but you won't have the high paying jobs there.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,543 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Always found it amazing why people don't migrate in huge numbers to the continent on our doorstep and still go for the English speaking countries.

I see a huge amount of bargains on houses in France/Spain/Italy within reach of
    the airport. If you set yourself up properly for remote working, it's achievable.

The language is obviously a big issue but there is nothing to say you can't hold down a well paying job with a MNC whilst living on the continent. Tax being the other consideration of course....

You normally can't have a job with an Irish based company while tax resident in another country. France is even more brutal, tax-wise, than Ireland. Several picturesque villages in Italy will give you a house if you promise to spend money refurbishing it. There have to be some serious catches, I'd think.

I see a huge amount of bargains on houses in France/Spain/Italy close to nice areas and within reach of the airport. If you set yourself up properly for remote working, it's achievable.

I think the continent would be an answer to a lot of people's irks instead of running to another very expensive country where you get the awakening that they have much the same issues we have.

Any contractor should jump at that. With regards to tax if you move around and don’t overstay anywhere you are still liable here.

coinop wrote: »
    Did he buy property in the airport? Auckland is the name of the city. AKL is an airport. Sorry to go off on a tangent but I hate when people refer to a city by its airport's IATA. You hear it all the time with LAX yet you wouldn't refer to London as LHR (or LGW or STN). Anyway, back to the thread.

South Auckland, so not too far from the airport

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

So, when all this is over and the country is on its knees (again) and we're expected to pay higher taxes and save the day (again) and with no real chance of owning our own home due to Gov policy from the last time. what are peoples plans?

Millions wish to go to live and work in Ireland...

The problem for many is the sheer level of corruption, bureaucracy, and laziness you often find in these countries, especially those along the Med. Take a look at any of the forums for Expats and you'll find reams of horror stories regarding construction, debts, taxes upon taxes, etc.

I've been looking into Italy as a place to move to after I finish in Asia, and it really does look dodgy as hell in comparison to Ireland. However, as you said, the prices are very appealing, although there are plenty of hidden costs.

South Auckland, so not too far from the airport

Manukau?, thats worse than the north side :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

Valencia does look like a nice city to live in indeed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Purple is a Fruit

It's good that those opportunities are available in Dublin, and people don't have to go thousands of miles away. The same thing happens in places like England, where London is the big centre of economic activity. In general a developed country like Ireland with a growing population is as sign of a healthy economy.
    BBC decentralised some of its national functions to other cities, and a guy I know working there said it's a disaster. I know BBC has regional stations but these are departments for the national service, which were relocated. The staff just still had to keep going to London regularly, which was a nuisance for them, and it incurred extra travel and accommodation expenses for the company.

England has other big cities but it's perfectly standard for most opportunities to be in the capital/biggest city so it's certainly reasonable for that to be the case in a country like Ireland where other cities besides Dublin are tiny.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 36,787 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

klaz wrote: »
    The problem for many is the sheer level of corruption, bureaucracy, and laziness you often find in these countries, especially those along the Med. Take a look at any of the forums for Expats and you'll find reams of horror stories regarding construction, debts, taxes upon taxes, etc.

I've been looking into Italy as a place to move to after I finish in Asia, and it really does look dodgy as hell in comparison to Ireland. However, as you said, the prices are very appealing, although there are plenty of hidden costs.

My brother lived in Rome and had to sent his job applications and the usual sort of post home via DHL as apparently the local postal system just didn't work.
    BBC decentralised some of its national functions to other cities, and a guy I know working there said it's a disaster. I know BBC has regional stations but these are departments for the national service, which were relocated. The staff just still had to keep going to London regularly, which was a nuisance for them, and it incurred extra travel and accommodation expenses for the company.

England has other big cities but it's perfectly standard for most opportunities to be in the capital/biggest city so it's certainly reasonable for that to be the case in a country like Ireland where other cities besides Dublin are tiny.

Depends on what you're doing. If you're doing science then there are opportunities in places like Manchester and Edinburgh. While opportunities are concentrated in London, it's not nearly as bad as the equivalent effect in Ireland. If my clinical trials job in Manchester hadn't come with such a measly remuneration package, I might well have settled there due to the very affordable cost of living, amenities and world class airport.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Jeremy Sproket

I spent my first 18 years in Sweden and moved with my parents to Ireland. My dad is Swedish and my mam is Irish. Ireland ain't a bad country in every sense. There's certain aspects of Sweden I prefer much better mind. Ireland is a relatively safe country, it's a shithole but it's a safe shithole.

If I was to move abroad myself I would choose the Netherlands, Germany or Finland or back to Sweden (in no particular order).

• Registered Users Posts: 17 ionnn

I emigrated to the US a few years ago and quite frankly it was the best decision I ever made. The sad reality is that Ireland in its current form punishes people who are ambitious or work in higher paying industries, with a heavy tax burden for little in return. I lived in Dublin for about a year after college and it really is a complete mess, public transport totally over capacity, junkies shooting up in plain view etc

I think the core of it all though, is their is no ambition to fix anything in the country, like DCC blocking high rises because of the 'skyline'. All I ever hear is people saying people who earn higher wages should be taxed more, while people in the country on social welfare pay little to no tax at all, and I believe that is going to reach a breaking point where people and companies who are actually keeping the economy afloat decide enough and take their resources elsewhere.

Manukau?, thats worse than the north side :pac::pac::pac:

Haha further south, the new development in Takanini
    https://mclennan.co.nz/

• Advertisement

I spent my first 18 years in Sweden and moved with my parents to Ireland. My dad is Swedish and my mam is Irish. Ireland ain't a bad country in every sense. There's certain aspects of Sweden I prefer much better mind. Ireland is a relatively safe country, it's a shithole but it's a safe shithole.

If I was to move abroad myself I would choose the Netherlands, Germany or Finland or back to Sweden (in no particular order).

Come to Ireland, it’s a relatively safe shithole. New tourist board slogan.

Advertisement