Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick of being fat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Minime2.5

Im going to kick off a 4 week fatloss sprint today. Im 42 and at only 6ft tall im 315.6lbs (just over 22.5 stone) and my waist around my gut in a relaxed state is 54.5 inches . To say Im in a an unhealthy state is an understatement . My plan is to eat 1 big healthy meal a day and walk 10k steps everyday . Ill get back into lifting weights when the gyms reopen. But for now im just focused on walking and getting a good chunk of this weight off my body. My longterm goal is to be 180lbs but my first goal is to get to 230lbs. Its at 230lbs that I got down to before and started to look really good. Its at that weight id like to be back in the gym lifting weights . An example of the meal ill be having is

225g of steak or salmon (ill be rotating this)
    350g large baked potato
    270g of mixed vegetables
    a big bowl of activa gut health yougurt

My biggest vice is the booze and takeaways so for the next 28 days ill be cutting this out completely

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭livia21

Minime2.5 wrote: »
    Anyone here do omad

I do one meal most day's.. I started may 2020 doing eating 16/8,by end of week one I had drifted into 18/6 and then 20/4 so one meal @ 5pm is just a normal routine for me now..I also do 2 x36 hr fast's a month.

I weighted 12st 9 when I started and now weigh 9st 5 .

If you can start of on omad tha's great but for me it was better to ease myself in.
    With 16/8 my eating window was 10am- 6pm..then 12pm-6pm and so on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,573 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Starting in Jan 217lb
    27/01. 209lb (-8)
    03/02 205.6 lb (-11.4)
    14/02 204.6 lb (-12.4)
    22/02 202.4 lb (-14.6)
    07/03 199 lbs (-18)
    22/03 200lbs (-17)

29/03 200lbs) - 17)
    17/04. 197.8lbb.(-19.2)

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Juran

Minime2.5 wrote: »
    Anyone here do omad

I started OMAD on April 10, 2021.

Stats: Female, 5 ft 10', mid-40's.

start weight 10-April-2021:

Week 0: 110.2kg 17st 05 243lbs
    Week 1: 106.6kg 16st 11 235lbs (- 8lbs)

Current Routine: Working from home full time since covid, 2 coffees in the morning with drop of milk, lots of glasses of water during the day, multi vitamin and mineral supplements plus Vit D and Turmeric capsules, 45min walk at lunch time, more water - sometimes add some sugar free blackcurrant cordial, 1 hour walk in the evening, proper dinner healthy (fish/chicken/meat, lots of veg or a big salad with egg/nuts/feta cheese plus a small bit of potatoes/rice for example), some dark chocolate after dinner or a yogurt.

I have cut out alcohol week days - but I will have a cold beer at the weekend if I feel like it just before dinner. The first couple of days I felt a bit weak around 3pm, I had ryvita with cottage cheese and a hard boiled egg or a protein shake with milk. The second week, my body is used to it and I have no felt the need to have food until my dinner at 6pm.

I find although a I prepare a biggish dinner, I can only eat a small portion, my stomach must have shrunk.

I am walking for now, as I always did - and will go back swimming once the local pool re-opens.

I did a lot of research on intermittent fasting and OMAD online, youtube, books, etc.. so I understand the need for nutrients and fuel for the body. OMAD seems to suit my body and life better. If I eat small bits during the day like a traditional diet, I get a sugar low after an hour and feel hungry. I don't get this with fasting. But that's just me, everyone's body is different.

I plan to keep a weekly tracker and will update this thread, as motivation.

Anyone else on an OMAD journey and want to share experience? - please so on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

Not on OMAD but tempted as I reckon it would suit my lifestyle also, so will be watching your progress.

That's a great week 1 - well done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Started to run around 7 years ago at 16st, never bothered with a diet and weight always hovered around that weight. Have run 14 marathons albeit not easy. Was continually getting injuries that set me back weeks and sometimes months at a time.

Around Nov last year after completing the DCM virtual marathon I decided that I'd have a go at watching the diet as well while exercising. Bought a scales (Renpho) that has an app that transfers all data to it and first weight in was 1st Dec last year. Went to see a nutritionist around middle of Dec.

He gave me a calorie intake of 2000 calories so I then downloaded the my fitness pal app, set the limit at 1850 calories per day. That app is a complete game changer and I cannot recommend it enough. Currently weigh 14st 2lbs. Plenty to do still obviously but I've honestly never been fitter as a result of losing a bit of weight. Forget about WW or SW.

This app will educate you on your foods, doesn't cost a cent either

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Juran

OMAD program

Start Date 10-April-2021

Week 0: 110.2kg 17st 05 243lbs
    Week 1: 106.6kg 16st 11 235lbs (- 8 lbs)
    Week 2: 105.7kg 16st 09 233lbs (- 2 lbs)

week 2 monday to friday was easy, stuck to OMAD. sat & sunday was tough - out of work routine, few drinks at night with dinner, had a small lunch both sat and sunday. Today is monday, back into it again. having a few drinks at the weekend really throws me off, sugar level are up and down, need to eat the next day. I need to try to avoid alcohol is my lesson learnt this weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭corcaigh1

How is OMAD in terms of metabolism, does it not have the effect of reducing it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭mojesius

Haven't posted here in a few weeks.

A milestone for me was to reach 11st by end of April, which I have achieved.

Total weight loss since start of year 1st 8lb.

One stone to go until target weight. Going to up the exercise intensity this month and try to start running again for first time since having baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 NewHope21

NewHope21 wrote: »
    Week 0: 136 Kg
    Week 1: 131Kg
    Week 2: 126 Kg
    Week 3: 124 Kg

Struggling as I get dizzy easily, using VR headset to workout and get my sweat on.

Week 18: 98KG

Walking every morning for at least 30minutes. Now ready to start training for c25K
    Eating keto now simply substituted high carb items
    T2 Diabetes in remission and full of energy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Ande1975

Haven't posted here in a while either.

I lost 3 stone last year during the first lockdown between keto, fasting and walking.

Like a lot of folks I had the time to do a bit of research into it.
    Then fell off the wagon before Xmas and found it hard to get back on. Like others, found 2nd lockdown really tough.

I've started officially again this week and managed a 36 hour fast after a bad weekend (planned and couldn't be avoided) It was surprisingly easy.

I haven't been great with exercise. Going 100% ahead now. First jab this weekend so by the 2nd jab, I plan to look red carpet ready ;)

From a fasting perspective I either have 1 or 2 meals a day. 16:8, 20:4 and the occasional 24/36 hour. (Just got notification on my phone that I reached my 16 hour fast goal, not hungry so will keep going). The Zero app is great & free.

The life saver is MCT oil. Teaspoon of that in coffee if you want to do a longer fast.
    If you google Fasting by the Hour, you can see its got enormous benefits for your health both physically and mentally.

I drop weight quickly when I fast, do keto and a combo of HIIT/Walking.

Dr Jason Fung is brilliant
    I would recommend anyone who can spare 40 mins to watch his video on Theraputic Fasting - Solving the two compartment problem (in summary)
    • He explains how traditional diets do not work.
    • Why The Biggest Loser never had a reunion show.
    • How the concept of calories in and calories out do not work.
    • The two compartment problem: how we can't get to our stored fat if we keep eating (no matter how low fat or low calorie it is)- think of digested energy (food) as the fridge and stored energy (fat on our bodies) as the freezer. We won't get to the freezer if we keep using the energy from the fridge.
    PLUS its free! You don't have to pay anyone to fast and logically... your shopping bill is going to go down as you aren't eating as much.

I know this may not be for everyone, just wanted to post this if you are curious to learn more as I wished I'd known this before.
    I worked really hard from the age of 26 to keep slim, took up too much time in the gym and was hangry all the time.
    Blew up in my 40s (looked like an egg). This was by far the easiest.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,575 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Ande1975 wrote: »

Dr Jason Fung is brilliant
    • How the concept of calories in and calories out do not work.

He's wrong here though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

I mix my eating from 16-8, 18-6, 23-1(OMAD)
    and also follow keto...I have lost 62lbs in 40 weeks...

I have forgotten what hunger and cravings are and i find plannig my meals much easier...

Make sure i have plenty of eggs, butter, beef, pork, broccoli, cheese, avocado and some organ meat...Can survive on that that...

Some nut for the social snacking like movie night with the OH

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Dudley Smith

He's wrong here though.

500 calories from a good quality protein/fat source does not equate with the same metabolic response to 500 calories from Pringles or any other highly processed food-like substance. The thermodynamic model of weight loss/gain ignores hormonal responses to food or food-like substances we ingest.

Really? Where is your proof?
    Have you a career in Medicine?

Have to update this as I was reactionary. Do yourself a favour and watch the video. I'm not going to engage anymore.
    As I said I am not going to convince anyone. Worked for me.

These responses drive me nuts!

https://www.cell.com/cell-metabolism/pdf/S1550-4131(19)30248-7.pdf

(I am a scientist with a Ph.D. in cell and molecular biology and a primary degree in biochemistry for what it is worth as we are discussing metabolism).

My apologies for challenging people for qualifications. Just worked for me and watching this really helped.
    Just want to help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

500 calories from a good quality protein/fat source does not equate with the same metabolic response to 500 calories from Pringles or any other highly processed food-like substance. The thermodynamic model of weight loss/gain ignores hormonal responses to food or food-like substances we ingest.

Would agree, i used to fully buy into the whole calorie in/out model...

Then i started keto/LCHF, tracked my food at the beginning for micro nutrient information...But what i was noticing, was that i was consuming 2700-3200 kcals a day and still losing weight...

In the past i have consumed 2500 kcals with exercise and was struggling to lose 1lbs a week, but on high fat with no exercise i was losing 2-3 lbs a week without hunger, cravings and typically slept better as well...

Many years ago, i would have been calories in calories out, eat less move more...and your'll get in shape...After being on Keto/LCHF for 1 month i realized that its certainly not all that simply and if it truely was then we wouldn't have an ever increasing population of unhealthy folks...

Have to update this as I was reactionary. Do yourself a favour and watch the video. I'm not going to engage anymore.

I can assure you that your 3 stone lost last year was due largely to a 147000 kcal calorie deficit.
    You won't believe me but such is life.

Augeo,

No I respectfully don't. God Bless us, you went and did the calculations.

I prefer to believe medical doctors, science, published studies over anonymous folks.

I decided to write it up just in case anyone is interested as I thought the purpose of this forum is support.

• Advertisement

You ignore the fact that it's a model. It's not possible to capture all of the complexity but enough that it fundamentally works.

No one advocates for filling most of your diet with highly-processed foods like Pringles. Food quality and food quantity are not independent of each other.

And I would venture that someone consuming 500 kcals of Pringles is probably going to be ingesting more calories than they should.

Fung also tries to contend that people who lost weight put it back on over time despite sticking to the diet, which is rarely true. Weight starts to increase as adherence wanes.

You don't have to convince anyone. It worked for you and that's all that counts to you. And it's great that you found something sustainable works for you. Lots of people labour through diet after diet and spend most of their time spinning their wheels.

I'm not trying to question what worked for you and like I said, it's great you got the results you did. I just fundamentally disagree with Fung on that point but sorry for derailing.

You ignore the fact that it's a model. It's not possible to capture all of the complexity but enough that it fundamentally works.

No one advocates for filling most of your diet with highly-processed foods like Pringles. Food quality and food quantity are not independent of each other.

And I would venture that someone consuming 500 kcals of Pringles is probably going to be ingesting more calories than they should.

Fung also tries to contend that people who lost weight put it back on over time despite sticking to the diet, which is rarely true. Weight starts to increase as adherence wanes.

Thank you for your comments.

I agree the model is overly simplistic. It does not address satiety and hormonal responses to food. Treating human metabolism with thermodynamic equations of energy in/energy out does not address the satiating effects of food. It is the impact of diet on insulin response that is critically important for sustained weight loss in my view.

Saturated fat is both healthy and satiating and the reverse is true for refined carbohydrates. The demonisation of saturated fat underlies our problem with metabolic syndrome arising from excess refined carbohydrate consumption. You cannot activate the enzymes and metabolic machinery to utilise excess stored saturated fat on the body if fat is not ingested in the diet.

I wish all well with their journey to sustained weight loss free from hunger.

Augeo,

I prefer to believe medical doctors, science, published studies over anonymous folks.

I decided to write it up just in case anyone is interested as I thought the purpose of this forum is support.

If you weren't in a calorie deficit you wouldn't have lost weight.
    Any doctor or anyone else who refutes that is off their tree.

What did you think the walking did? It burned calories :D

lol at the science reference............. A calorie is a unit of energy FYI

Thank you for your comments.

I agree the model is overly simplistic. It does not address satiety and hormonal responses to food. Treating human metabolism with thermodynamic equations of energy in/energy out does not address the satiating effects of food. It is the impact of diet on insulin response that is critically important for sustained weight loss in my view.

I didn't say it was 'overly simplistic' It's a model that catches enough of the complexity without necessarily encompassing all of it, which is impossible to model in a useful sense.

You can't pin down exactly the calories in or the calories out nor how they are used, depending on the content, but that doesn't mean that the calories in/calories out concept is wrong. It just means that we're looking at approximations for both.

However, that doesn't mean that you should completely disregard it. It's still a perfectly valid tool for managing weight loss.

Other people use different tools because those tools are more sustainable for them. And it's what is sustainable for someone is key to adherence and consequently long term success.

Augeo wrote: »
    If you weren't in a calorie deficit you wouldn't have lost weight.
    Any doctor or anyone else who refutes that is off their tree.

What did you think the walking did? It burned calories :D

lol at the science reference............. A calorie is a unit of energy FYI

Yeah I am dense and can't see the obvious - thanks for pointing that out.

You seem to have a massive issue with fasting? Yeah did a quick scan of your posting history on this thread. If it works for people as a weight loss tool then what does it matter to you.
    Not all calories are the same. Ugh, don't know why I bother....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Cill94

Augeo,

You choose to believe fringe doctors and faux experts whose opinions don’t actually reflect the majority opinion from people well versed in the research.

You can find scientists who agree that global warming is a hoax and doctors who think vaccines give people autism. The fact a person with a title said it doesn’t make it true.

We do however have decades of research showing that you aren’t losing weight without a calorie deficit.

Advocates of IF who can't/won't admit that they are introducing a calorie deficit continually amuse me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

Augeo wrote: »
    Advocates of IF who can't/won't admit that they are introducing a calorie deficit continually amuse me.

they might not be, they could be eating five thousand calories in their window, but then they won't be losing weight

• Advertisement

they might not be, they could be eating five thousand calories in their window, but then they won't be losing weight

Apologies, I was referring to the advocates of IF who credit it with their weight loss.

Advertisement