Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick of being fat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,575 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Just to be clear there is no calorie counting or scales for that matter involved in intuitive eating. No counting of any kind, just as there is no such thing as an 'ideal weight' ....

There is usually a threshold above which your weight isn't ideal.

Intuitive eating is completely a non runner for most folk who are overweight. They've gotten that way through over eating and intuitive eating won't resolve anything for most overweight folk.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭farmerval

January 9th 18st 4 lbs (-34 lbs overall) (+6lbs over the holidays)
    January 16th 18st 2 lbs (-36 lbs)
    January 23 rd 18st 4 lbs (-34lbs )
    January 30th 18st 1 lb (-37 lbs)
    February 6th 18 st 2 lbs (-36 lbs)
    February 13th 18st 2 lbs (-36 lbs)
    February 20th 18st 5lbs (-33 lbs)
    February 27th 18St 1 lb (-37 lbs)

I went back to 20 hour daily fasting for the 5 weekdays. It seems to work for me, allied with low carbing. I'm drinking warm water with lemon during the day, I really guzzle down a few glasses in the early part of the day. Am really enjoying them.

I listened to a podcast during the week, the daily balance podcast I think, Dr Ciara Kelly. The guest whose name I don't remember was promoting Intuitive eating. It sounded like total and utter b******t to me. Maybe it was the way the guest was presenting it.
    This horse manure that we were born with the ability to recognise hunger and satiety triggers is total manure.
    The big issue for society at large is our unhealthy lifestyle. We are presented everywhere with processed food, much of it muck laden with sugar and empty calories. Look at any shop that is not a supermarket and probably 70 to 80% of what it sells is nutritionally rubbish.
    For medical reasons I've had to lose weight. i had a "good" diet. We cook all our meals at home from scratch, wholesome foods. I bought bread daily for lunches, locally baked brown soda bread or sourdough, yet tonnes of rubbish was still getting into my diet. At every shop counter, sweets, crisps, etc. all nutritionally destructive, designed to make you hungry. Until I became diabetic I never realised why eating biscuits only lead to eating more biscuits etc.
    My huge issue with the above podcast about Intuitive eating was it came straight from the "if you are happy with it it's ok" school of thought. They appeared to offer very little by way of constructive advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭shtpEdthePlum

Irish people are designed for periods of high intensity exercise and swathes of time in sedentary life, particularly with the harsh winter and mild summer climate we have here. Hence why our cuisine features a lot of warm meat dishes, giving us the nourishment we need to fight the inhospitable weather.

The Mediterranean and Asian climate probably contribute to their populations' longevity as they're more suited to considerably longer periods of outdoor life and meals rich in salad vegetables.

I don't know about you but my weight and muscle visibly fluctuates with the seasons. The eating associated with Christmas vs the "beach body" for summer is a chicken and egg situation of cause and effect. They're not paradigms for no reason.

• Advertisement

Irish people are designed for periods of high intensity exercise and swathes of time in sedentary life, particularly with the harsh winter and mild summer climate we have here. Hence why our cuisine features a lot of warm meat dishes, giving us the nourishment we need to fight the inhospitable weather.

The Mediterranean and Asian climate probably contribute to their populations' longevity as they're more suited to considerably longer periods of outdoor life and meals rich in salad vegetables.

I don't know about you but my weight and muscle visibly fluctuates with the seasons. The eating associated with Christmas vs the "beach body" for summer is a chicken and egg situation of cause and effect. They're not paradigms for no reason.

There is also the climatic issue of what produce has been traditionally available in different countries.
    Mediterranean countries have olive oil, citrus fruits tomatoes, salad vegetables, fresh fruits in abundance. In Ireland, dairy produce, high carb vegetables grown on the soil eg. potatoes, carrots etc. We have a long tradition with cabbage as a leafy green alright.
    The most bizarre thing here is fish, as an Island we neglected fish in an amazing way. It was never a staple food in ireland.

I was listening to a podcast this morning and there was a study by Kevin Hall, who has been on Sigma Nutrition Radio a few times and who has done some great studies.

The carried out a trial on impact of ultra-processed and unprocessed diets. Half the people were on impressed and the other half on ultra-processed. The diets presented to each cohort for were matched with respect to calories, total ugar, fat, total fibre and macronutrients. They were given 60 mins to eat meal and could eat as much or as little as they liked.

The people on people on the ultra-processed diet consumed more calories compared to the unprocessed diet. Furthermore, people gained weight on the ultra-processed diet and lost weight on the unprocessed diet.

Now, while they matched total sugar and fibre, the percentage of added sugar was much higher on the ultra-processed diet and the insoluble fibre was too.

Food quantity is the single biggest factor in weight loss or gain but food quality is important in terms of its impact on food quantity.

Anyway, I don't mean to detract from the thread as its primarily a place for people to support each other and I think it serves a great purpose so best of luck to everyone and keep on keeping on

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭insert name here 123

A lot of information on the last few posts* in my case, ive cut out white bread, cheese and treats (with coffee in the morning) i have porridge instead.

I still have a cappuccino in the mornings, and at weekends ill have some crisps etc.. instead of coke ill have water, instead of eating ; say chips ill do a salad or make a smoothie.

Im getting out every day for a 10k walk regardless of weather.

Very early days, I do feel better and plan ro keep it up now good weather is coming.

Tomorrow is another day :)

*which is helpful, it's good to get different opinions on a subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,134 ✭✭✭screamer

Sad to report that again this week, no progress on the weight loss, but no gain either. I’m delighted I lost a stone, but I’m gonna have to push harder to lose more and God help me, I need to get rid of about 2 more. I’m the wrong side of 40 now, and I have 0 time for me with 4 kids. I’m cooking everything from scratch and eating healthy and following slimming world. I hope to shift the scales down this week, as I’m feeling very demotivated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭rolling boh

You have lost a stone that's good keep at it might be a matter of watching portion sizes that you take in .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭2 fast

screamer wrote: »
    Sad to report that again this week, no progress on the weight loss, but no gain either. I’m delighted I lost a stone, but I’m gonna have to push harder to lose more and God help me, I need to get rid of about 2 more. I’m the wrong side of 40 now, and I have 0 time for me with 4 kids. I’m cooking everything from scratch and eating healthy and following slimming world. I hope to shift the scales down this week, as I’m feeling very demotivated.

You're doing amazing. Slimming world has its benefits but this unlimited food isn't great, piled you add in calorie counting?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,140 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Yes you can eat whatever you wish and whatever amount you wish and there is not guilt shame or judgement attached to it. There is no calorie counting and no magic number on the scales to strive for. The point is that if we can re learn our bodies own hunger cues and feelings of fullness (which we are all born with) and recognise the emotions behind our eating habits that our own bodies are excellent at choosing what foods are right for us at the time.
    This basically describes exactly how people end up putting on weight. They eat what the feel like. Which is not particularly healthly or aligned with their actual needs.

If what you describe were true, and peoples bodies' self regulated their intake. Why do they gain weight in the first place. How does givign it a label suddenly activate the process?
    Just to be clear there is no calorie counting or scales for that matter involved in intuitive eating. No counting of any kind, just as there is no such thing as an 'ideal weight' ....

How do you know if intuitive eating has ever worked if you never count of measure.

Not everyone's ideal weight is the same. But the idea of a ideal range exists.
    Cusine is affected by seasonal produce and the weather. Not nutrition.
    Hot, hearty dishes are comforting in winter. But they provide the same nourishment as an equivalent cold salad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭mojesius

Keep going, you're doing great! It's so hard with kids to prioritise yourself and work on your own health. The fact that you're cooking from scratch and cooking healthily will stand to you. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Springfields

This basically describes exactly how people end up putting on weight. They eat what the feel like. Which is not particularly healthly or aligned with their actual needs.

If what you describe were true, and peoples bodies' self regulated their intake. Why do they gain weight in the first place. How does givign it a label suddenly activate the process?

People gain weight because they restrict themselves and then binge / overeat because of cravings. Their body goes into starvation mode which leads to eventual overeating. Diets / restricting leads to weight gain in 85% of cases in 1 year.
    You would be surprised when you allow yourself the freedom to eat whatever you want and not restrict yourself, you don't immediately grab fast food / sweets / cakes etc. If you pay more attention to what satisfies you and what nourishes you, you opt for those choices. I know if I eat take away for a week I'll feel like crap. But if I want a burger ill have one, savour it and move on.

How do you know if intuitive eating has ever worked if you never count of measure.
    You know it works as you have more energy, you feel better in your skin, you feel strong
    All the things a scales can't...

Losing a bunch of weight I had completely ****ed my knees and with the ol' Covid I've been able to do **** all to get them sorted. A flight of stairs is agony and walking is the only exercise I can do, even then it has to be slow and on the flat, making it feel ever more pointless. And of course about a third of the time I'll be in complete agony for a couple of days if I do a long walk. Really hard to have any kind of motivation.
    Going to give it a go now, have scales ordered, I'm probably back up to my highest weight or close enough. Just going to go no takeaways and one decent-sized meal a day with a couple of snacks. Most of my eating for the last year has been "emotional". Before ****ing my knees I managed to lose weight despite medication which gave me a completely out of control appetite so came off those meds. Appetite isn't really an issue as such, eating now is just a reaction to everything else. It's really hard to get motivated when the last time I lost weight I ended up much, much worse off and this time the only thing to do is a negative, i.e. NOT eat.
    But sure we'll see how I get on. Looking forward to and dreading seeing what I weigh now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,134 ✭✭✭screamer

Losing a bunch of weight I had completely ****ed my knees and with the ol' Covid I've been able to do **** all to get them sorted. A flight of stairs is agony and walking is the only exercise I can do, even then it has to be slow and on the flat, making it feel ever more pointless. And of course about a third of the time I'll be in complete agony for a couple of days if I do a long walk. Really hard to have any kind of motivation.
    Going to give it a go now, have scales ordered, I'm probably back up to my highest weight or close enough. Just going to go no takeaways and one decent-sized meal a day with a couple of snacks. Most of my eating for the last year has been "emotional". Before ****ing my knees I managed to lose weight despite medication which gave me a completely out of control appetite so came off those meds. Appetite isn't really an issue as such, eating now is just a reaction to everything else. It's really hard to get motivated when the last time I lost weight I ended up much, much worse off and this time the only thing to do is a negative, i.e. NOT eat.
    But sure we'll see how I get on. Looking forward to and dreading seeing what I weigh now.

I think food has a bigger impact on weight loss than exercising, unless you’re into serious exercise, it takes an awful lot of effort to burn calories. I’d focus on the food, and try getting off some weight that way and then look at exercising. The less weight you have to carry the easier the exercise will be. I’m following slimming world so I’m not hungry and trying to see this as a lifestyle change not a diet. I’ve started writing down what I’m eating every day too, so that I can keep track and not over eat.
    This thread is good for support and you can do it if you really want to

People gain weight because they restrict themselves and then binge / overeat because of cravings. Their body goes into starvation mode which leads to eventual overeating. Diets / restricting leads to weight gain in 85% of cases in 1 year.
    You would be surprised when you allow yourself the freedom to eat whatever you want and not restrict yourself,............

I got to over 17 stone a few times by allowing myself to eat whatever I wanted.

Have you tried Pilates? Might be doable with you knees and you work within your own range of movement (can even do them sitting down ) .. lots of free classes for beginners on you tube

Augeo wrote: »
    I got to over 17 stone a few times by allowing myself to eat whatever I wanted.

And I'm at my lowest weight by doing so (while this wasn't the goal) its not an easy process but might work for someone tired of dieting

I think food has a bigger impact on weight loss than exercising, unless you’re into serious exercise, it takes an awful lot of effort to burn calories. I’d focus on the food, and try getting off some weight that way and then look at exercising. The less weight you have to carry the easier the exercise will be. I’m following slimming world so I’m not hungry and trying to see this as a lifestyle change not a diet. I’ve started writing down what I’m eating every day too, so that I can keep track and not over eat.
    This thread is good for support and you can do it if you really want to
    I've always found that exercise would cause way more weight loss than it "should". It would also lead into positive feedback where after working out and showering I'd want to eat something healthy (or not at all) from the buzz of it.
    But yeah with exercise I've seen me lose 4 pounds a week without worrying about food. Even eating super-clean it's not going to happen as quickly this time and blah blah moan moan.
    Have you tried Pilates? Might be doable with you knees and you work within your own range of movement (can even do them sitting down ) .. lots of free classes for beginners on you tube
    I have exercises I have to do before the consultant will consider surgery. But he also wants a load of weight off (more now than when he saw me). I'm also in a lot more pain than when the scan he saw was taken so I don't want to chance any "unapproved" exercises.

Going from 5 a side twice a week, walking 40km and running/jogging another 5-8km to basically immobile and in pain has been pretty ****.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

I think food has a bigger impact on weight loss than exercising, unless you’re into serious exercise, it takes an awful lot of effort to burn calories. I’d focus on the food, and try getting off some weight that way and then look at exercising.

Both together, even a half hour walk each day will contribute to the calorie deficit required for weight loss.

And I'm at my lowest weight by doing so (while this wasn't the goal) its not an easy process but might work for someone tired of dieting

Most likely won't, let's be honest.
    If you've lost weight that's by calorie deficit.... You've been on a diet essentially.

Most likely won't, let's be honest.
    If you've lost weight that's by calorie deficit.... You've been on a diet essentially.

And diets don't work for most people ...

No idea if I'm in a calorie deficit....I'm not counting , tracking, using syns, points, macros etc etc etc,,,,thats my point

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

No idea if I'm in a calorie deficit....I'm not counting , tracking, using syns, points, macros etc etc etc,,,,thats my point

I don't track my eating in any way, but I know I've been eating at an overall calorie deficit for over 20 weeks now - how do I know? I've lost 2 stone.

Being aware of what I'm eating, quitting most processed sugar and snacking (not all, just most, I still leave time to enjoy myself, and recognise that I could be going down quicker, but I'm fine with that)

I'm not on a specific food plan apart from "eat smarter".

If you've lost weight youre in a calorie deficit.

Intuitive eating works for essentially no one.

Giving up snacks & processed food is a diet.

You're still thinking in terms of 'diets' and lumping in someone's diet.

Your diet is based on Intuitive Eating. Someone else's diet might be based on low carb. Someone else doing intermittent fasting.

Counting and/or tracking aren't diets. They are ways of managing caloric intake by being aware of said caloric intake, It allows people to be aware and make more informed food choices.

If you've lost weight youre in a calorie deficit.

Intuitive eating works for essentially no one.

Giving up snacks & processed food is a diet.

I may be in a calorie deficit but it is not through tracking or restrictions.

It works for me so your statement is incorrect.

And I haven't given up snacks or processed food?

I am not here to sell you the benefits of IE, merely to give an alternative to dieting (ie restricted / disordered eating). It works for lots of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Segotias

OmegaGene wrote: »

But saying calorie deficit doesn’t sell books really

Unless you're James Smith, its practically his life mantra...for work anyway!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭mojesius

End Dec - 12 at 8lb
    3rd Jan - 12st 6 lb
    10th Jan - 12st 4 lb
    17th Jan - 12st 2 lb
    23rd Jan - 12st
    30th Jan - 11st 12 lb
    6 Feb - 11st 11lb
    13 Feb - 11st 9lb
    20 Feb - 11st 8lb
    27 Feb - 11st 7lb
    6 March - 11st 6lb

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Mojesius that is a good run with a loss each week for a couple of months not many avoid a bit of a blip along the way good going .

Advertisement