Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Virgin Media Cancellation deals

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭KingCong

Got an EMAIL yesterday my broadband was going up €4 PM
    Stated it does not affect anyone on offers which Im on..
    Keep an eye out in your SPAM box
    Might be away of renegotiating your contract !

Got the same this morning, can cancel (or likely re-negotiate the deal) up to the 1st of August without any cancellation fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,867 ✭✭✭Patser

Called today to cancel, no offer at all made to keep us - mind you call agent sounded completely uninterested in life in general.

There's so many new customer offers out there though, I should be able to get a package at least half the price of staying

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Reg_hurley

I was due to be out of contract next week, was on 60 pm for 250 BB, TV 50 and phone. Rang two weeks ago and the offers they gave were poor e.g. 15 off the new higher price of 89 for 6 months etc I said just put through cancellation. Was gonna sign up under OH instead.

They texted last Thurs and asked what could they do to keep me. I said half price for 9 months and full for three. All sorted within ten minutes. New box being delivered today.
    Thanks for this info. I had wanted to upgrade out of contract but what was being offered was working out much more expensive than a new customer deal or switching.
    After two calls to see what they could do I went ahead and followed through the cancellation. Waited for the text and then got the same deal as you. Again all sorted in within a few mins on text and new box 2 days later.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭mccartj5

Patser wrote: »
    Called today to cancel, no offer at all made to keep us - mind you call agent sounded completely uninterested in life in general.

There's so many new customer offers out there though, I should be able to get a package at least half the price of staying

Exact same here, zero interest. Just off the phone after getting my 5th price increase email in 5 years. Worked out my bill has increased €20/month since 2016, but I have got a few half price for 6/12 months deals in that time.

Anyway was only offered €15 off per month and not even on the same package as I would lose channels. So my bill would come down to €83. Thought that was a crap deal when I can sign-up for their top package for €82 as a new customer :mad: Can also get a similar package to what I have now with Sky (granted not the same broadband speeds) for €63/month.

So I didn't take it and cancelled. Set a cancellation date of 30 from now. Don't really want the hassle of switching but I'm sick of the hikes. Hopefully I get the text, would be happy with 9 month half price and new equipment.

You did better than me, Bored Rep said there was another lower package that would save me €3/month.

This increase would push my tv/bb/phone over €100/month. Sky and Vodafone offering new customer deals at almost half

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭IQO

What's the best way to proceed with a cancellation, f.e. for switching to Vodafone? These days when working from home I can't miss internet access for a day, otherwise I need to take a day off. Better sign up first with the new provider and then see how quick the installation would go?

I don't think Virgin Media and Vodafone interfere with eachother at home, in theory you could have a connection through both at the same time?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,687 ✭✭✭CoBo55

IQO wrote: »
    What's the best way to proceed with a cancellation, f.e. for switching to Vodafone? These days when working from home I can't miss internet access for a day, otherwise I need to take a day off. Better sign up first with the new provider and then see how quick the installation would go?

I don't think Virgin Media and Vodafone interfere with eachother at home, in theory you could have a connection through both at the same time?

Yes you can have both at the same time. When Siro goes live for me I'm leaving VM. I'll wait until I get my install date and then give my 30 days notice to VM.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Craig_David

I've been on Virgin Mix 250 for 64.00 a month for 12 months (original price of 89 eur with 25 eur discount per month )
    Approaching the last month of the contract so going to give them a buzz tomorrow.
    Any idea what they will offer me to stay?
    I'd be content with continuing to pay 64 a month for another 12 months..
    No way will I pay 89 though

Thanks

I've been on Virgin Mix 250 for 64.00 a month for 12 months (original price of 89 eur with 25 eur discount per month )
    Approaching the last month of the contract so going to give them a buzz tomorrow.
    Any idea what they will offer me to stay?
    I'd be content with continuing to pay 64 a month for another 12 months..
    No way will I pay 89 though

Thanks

Half price for 6 months is easily achievable just stick to your guns even if it means pressing ahead with the cancellation, you can always ring them back when the cut off date draws near. They'll give it to you eventually.

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Half price for 6 months is easily achievable just stick to your guns even if it means pressing ahead with the cancellation, you can always ring them back when the cut off date draws near. They'll give it to you eventually.

thanks for that.. Regarding the final 6 months at full price, would the full price likely to be the 64 I'm currently paying or the amount of 89 eur (before the current 25 eur discount ...)

• Advertisement

thanks for that.. Regarding the final 6 months at full price, would the full price likely to be the 64 I'm currently paying or the amount of 89 eur (before the current 25 eur discount ...)

It would be half of the €89, you could be lucky and get 9 months half price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Cancelled on Saturday. Was on €89 virgin mix 250 after last contract period passed. Best they'd offer was €15 off for 9 months, full price for 3. Terrible offer/loyalty incentive

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭EarWig

This is the context....

Broadband subscribers increased to 387,600 from 380,500 year on year

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/technology/rise-in-subscribers-for-virgin-media-as-parent-s-revenue-jumps-1.4557356

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

EarWig wrote: »
    This is the context....

Broadband subscribers increased to 387,600 from 380,500 year on year

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/technology/rise-in-subscribers-for-virgin-media-as-parent-s-revenue-jumps-1.4557356

Crazy how long term customers continually get hit with hikes paying for new customers who pay nothing like they're paying

Ended up cancelling anyway..
    Best they could offer was 15 euro off per month for the first 9 months and full price for the remaining 3 which would work out as 933 for the year.. Way to much for me.. I hardly use the tv service.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Darby_321

Also got the email about the increase to our broadband. Currently on the 360mb deal and still have three months at €64 a month.

Looking at the new customer offer of €51 a month for 12 months for 500mb deal.

Seriously considering cancelling and signing up in OH name.

From reading the last few posts on this, they havent done much to try and keep you from cancelling!?

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭IQO

IQO wrote: »
    Same story here, paying the same price each month. Got also the same offer - said no for now and considering switching to Vodafone as their similar offer is about half the price.
    Called again. 250 MB broadband only, now 62 euro monthly.

Accepted the "final" offer of 9 months for 45 euro, then 3 months 60 euro (so still cheaper than now, nonew increase). Then out of contract after 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,020 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

currently paying €31.24 per month since Jan until sep this year, and then up to €60 (i think) for the remaining 3 months.
    Going to give the annual bartering a bash today and see what happens. :eek:

Has anyone had any trouble trying to sign up as the OH as a new customer? When im trying to checkout online with the new package it brings me right to the end and then says the package not available at my address??

But when I go to upgrade from my account it seems to be fine.

Would it be because my address is already associated with an account that they wont let me sign up for a new one?

Darby_321 wrote: »
    Has anyone had any trouble trying to sign up as the OH as a new customer? When im trying to checkout online with the new package it brings me right to the end and then says the package not available at my address??

But when I go to upgrade from my account it seems to be fine.

Would it be because my address is already associated with an account that they wont let me sign up for a new one?

Never mind, there was some issue with their eircode finder on the website, it finally worked for me. Now time to cancel my other subscription

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

On 240mb out of contract, rang up before today's email about price change when I was paying €63pcm
    Contract changes would go to €67pcm for just broadband

2nd cancellation call today- they said they can't offer the new customer offer of 12 x €40pcm as it's only for new customers blah blah but eventually she offered

9x €30 pcm and 3 x €60pcm which is actually cheaper than the new customer offer!

Happy out.

I said my broadband was more than fast enough, not a massive user (although I can be sometimes hur hur) and wasn't interested in anything else execept the connection - no tv, no landline no bells and whistles

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Ladybird37

Hi Guys,
    I just got the €4 price increase email, I have a TV and broadband with 5 months remaining on my contract. Does anyone know if the price increase will allow me to cancel the whole package or just the broadband? Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭you2008

On 240mb out of contract, rang up before today's email about price change when I was paying €63pcm
    Contract changes would go to €67pcm for just broadband

2nd cancellation call today- they said they can't offer the new customer offer of 12 x €40pcm as it's only for new customers blah blah but eventually she offered

9x €30 pcm and 3 x €60pcm which is actually cheaper than the new customer offer!

Happy out.

I said my broadband was more than fast enough, not a massive user (although I can be sometimes hur hur) and wasn't interested in anything else execept the connection - no tv, no landline no bells and whistles

Well done, need call them next month ( out of contact), will push hard too

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭garyskeepers

I was on hold for 40 minutes, presumably while CC had a chat, made a coffed played a video game, looked at several youtube cat videos, you know? the normal.

Eventually, after several "that's the best I can do" offers,. Yer wan went off to her superviser and came back with an offer of 9 months half price (46e/pm) then 3 months at full price (92e/pm) but dropping the TV channels to 50 instead of 80.

I had organised Vofdafone to install at 45 euro per month for SLOW broadband and 50 channels.

What should I do ????

I was on hold for 40 minutes, presumably while CC had a chat, made a coffed played a video game, looked at several youtube cat videos, you know? the normal.

Eventually, after several "that's the best I can do" offers,. Yer wan went off to her superviser and came back with an offer of 9 months half price (46e/pm) then 3 months at full price (92e/pm) but dropping the TV channels to 50 instead of 80.

I had organised Vofdafone to install at 45 euro per month for SLOW broadband and 50 channels.

What should I do ????

Depends on what your priority is?

If you're working at home or streaming a lot, you can;t beat Virgin's broadband.

If you just watch telly, and occasionally browse the net and Boards is as fast as you go, Vodafone will do and you'll save a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 10,615 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

What should I do ????

Work out how many of the channels Virgin are dropping, you would actually watch or on FTA?
    The only way Virgin will start to reduce their prices to competitor levels would be by more people leaving them.
    The only reason most people are still with them is because of their broadband speeds or people don't have a choice.

I left Virgin as their prices were getting crazy, went to Vodafone who were half the price, also got a 6 month offer for Sky Sports of €1 on a monthly contract.
    For me sometimes the signal over wifi is patchy and when I rang them, they said they would pay half the cost of boosters to improve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭garyskeepers

okidoki987 wrote: »
    they said they would pay half the cost of boosters to improve it.

jesus that's great isn't it?

Yeah I stayed with Virgin, maybe to my detriment. Got the 9 months at 46, plus the new box, and yer man almost guarantees me up to 470 megs with the new box.

Wouldn't watch tv at all really.

They didnt offer me half off for any period of time..
    And were happy to put through my cancellation.
    Whats that about I wonder.

They didnt offer me half off for any period of time..
    And were happy to put through my cancellation.
    Whats that about I wonder.

Wasn't a Craig David fan obviously...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭neon123

If changing a Virgin account to the OH is there anyway to start the new account on a particular date? My direct debit date is the 7th of each month at the moment so what's the best way to start the new account / cancel the old one to ensure I'm not billed twice this month? I also want to avoid any break in cover.

Advertisement