Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurovision Song Contest 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,552 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Thought the Italian song was absolute rubbish. I would have liked Switzerland to win it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,354 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

reap-a-rat wrote: »
    Imagine something like Mandinka, would be unreal and would go down really well. She's bat****, no denying it, but she's a serious singer and I've not seen her live but can only assume she's a polished performer.

Eh what
    Have you seen her in the last few years?

Her mandinka days from nigh on 40 years ago are well over

• Registered Users Posts: 28,292 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Some consolation prizes for France and Switzerland as voted by the accredited media, commentators and composers...

The 2021 Marcel Bezençon Press Award went to France’s Barbara Pravi with Voilà.
    The Artistic Award also went to Barbara Pravi.
    The 2021 Marcel Bezençon Composer Award went to Switzerland’s Gjon’s Tears

https://eurovision.tv/story/marcel-bezencon-awards-2021

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

juneg wrote: »
    I love the Eurovision and watch it every year.
    However I was very uncomfortable with the humiliation dished out to the UK act and the others who received zero points. That's no way to behave. The acts have worked hard done their very best and travelled a long road to be a laughing stock in front of millions.

Surely to God there is a more humane way of adding the public vote and the jury vote rather than the cruel way it was done.

I say next year we have no “winners” and just hand out “Congratulations on doing your best” awards to everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

So I don't think the UK deserved 0 points, at least he took it well. It wasn't a great song but it wasn't the worst song either.

I did feel that their was a certain amount of neighbourly voting happening from the juries. Not that they were handing out 12 points to their neighbours but slightly lower down votes.

With that said I was disappointed that the Ukraine didn't win, Italy's song wasn't bad but I didn't think the public would vote for it so much.

I was disappointed for Belgium, they did so well with juries then very little from the public vote.

I was surprised Russia didn't do better.

I think the semi-finals need to be voted upon by the big five and last years winning country juries to split them to allow them have a better split.

All even number on night one and all odd numbers on night two, this would at least give you 10 good songs on each night.

As for Ireland.... worse result for us... she didn't perform well on the night but I don't think it deserved last place but perhaps I am bias.

San Mario's plan didn't work out for them. TBH I thought them luck to get to the final. But what do I know of the Eurovision when both semi-finals are evenly divided between the top ten finalist and the both ten.

But the 6 non-semi-finals only France did well ... And it did as well from the Juries as it did from the voters... where are our neighbours now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

Elmo wrote: »

But the 6 non-semi-finals only France did well ... And it did as well from the Juries as it did from the voters... where are our neighbours now?

Italy were not in semi-final either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Well done to Netherlands for giving us a great show. You would never know from looking at it that we we just emerging from a global pandemic.

According to Graham Norton, Netherlands are still under quite strict restrictions. I feel sorry for them in that they had to put on just as high quality show as ever, but had the extra headache of having to test everyone, and have all these safety measures in place, etc. They had to do more hard work than anyone but didn’t have the pay off of visiting fans and all the revenue they bring and the usual buzz around the city for Eurovision week. Hard to believe that there was only 3.5 thousand in the audience - it looked and sounded like a full house.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,110 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Sienad o connor would be awful

Drama queen, very high maintenance. Constantly looking for attention

She’d probably stop her performance to do some sort of bs statement rather than , y’know, actually singing the damn song ...

It’s a no from me Bob

Also, it would detract from the fact that it is a "song" contest. I'm not sure anyone wants to see some fifty-something singer who was having hits way back in the 80s. Some of the acts last night like Greece and Sweden are still in their teens.

Back to the contest, I voted for Barbara Pravi last night. A stunning and very charismatic performance from her.....best French entry in 30 years.

Italy were not in semi-final either.

Possibly Italian entry benefitted from prior exposure at San Remo, which is picked up by several other European broadcasters.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Possibly Italian entry benefitted from prior exposure at San Remo, which is picked up by several other European broadcasters.

Maybe so just saying France was not the only automatic qualifier to do well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭embraer170

EBU statement on Måneskin in the ESC Green Room during the Grand Final

We are aware of the speculation surrounding the video clip of the Italian winners of the Eurovision Song Contest in the Green Room last night. The band have strongly refuted the allegations of drug use and the singer in question will take a voluntary drug test after arriving home. This was requested by them last night but could not be immediately organized by the EBU. The band, their management and head of delegation have informed us that no drugs were present in the Green Room and explained that a glass was broken at their table and it was being cleared by the singer. The EBU can confirm broken glass was found after an on site check. We are still looking at footage carefully and will update with further information in due course.

While I don't really believe the guy took drugs on live TV, I am a bit surprised at the weak statement from the EBU. It makes me a bit suspicious if anything.

This is my design for a competition to choose the song for the Eurovision.

Starts off as a bit of craic, and develops into something far more serious by the end.

It was a near year long competition. (40 weeks)
    There was heats from each county and district. (Dublin got 6 districts, Cork got two, all other counties got 1)
    Each week, there would be heats from one county/district in that county/district, televised.
    6 acts per county/district in the heats. One band member had to have a solid connection to the place, ie: come from there, went to school there etc. (No parachuting a Dublin act into Laois for example)
    The acts are chosen by a county committee or something.
    They all play their song live, and the studio audience (all from that county/district) would vote a winner.
    This would go on for 32 weeks, til all county districts had a winner.
    Then it would be like a cup competition.
    4 weeks of 8 songs (second round) top 4 of each go through.
    2 weeks of 8 songs, (3rd round) top 4 of each go through
    1 week of 8 songs (quarter finals) top 4 go through
    1 week of 4 songs (semi finals) top 2 go through.

Finally the glitzy final.

You could shorten it, but the last week could really ramp up the prep for the "show" aspect and how their stage presence and everything else developed over the last year or so. It would be easy enough to put together a decent highlights of the year as well to fill the slot

I think it would be fascinating to watch, with quite a bit of drama mixed in as well, spread throughout a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭BarryNumber1

That’s if she got past the national effort.

The show was good, all the kids here and their friends were voting for Italy so the result seemed to line up with that. Sinead might get a few more votes than the U.K. but might be a bit “off” for European tastes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,674 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

The show was good, all the kids here and their friends were voting for Italy so the result seemed to line up with that. Sinead might get a few more votes than the U.K. but might be a bit “off” for European tastes.

Sinead has a large following on the European mainland, I still remember the first time I heard Mandinga, sittin in a bar in Munich called die werkstatt in 87, had to enquire who the singer was, I was so proud when I was informed she was Irish.... We were alive back in them days

• Registered Users Posts: 7,702 ✭✭✭YellowLead

Starts off as a bit of craic, and develops into something far more serious by the end.

There was heats from each county and district. (Dublin got 6 districts, Cork got two, all other counties got 1)
    Each week, there would be heats from one county/district in that county/district, televised.
    6 acts per county/district in the heats. One band member had to have a solid connection to the place, ie: come from there, went to school there etc. (No parachuting a Dublin act into Laois for example)
    They all play their song live, and the studio audience (all from that county/district) would vote a winner.

You could shorten it, but the last week could really ramp up the prep for the "show" aspect and how their stage presence and everything else developed over the last year or so. It would be easy enough to put together a decent highlights of the year as well to fill the slot

I think it would be fascinating to watch, with quite a bit of drama mixed in as well, spread throughout a year.

Sounds like waaaaay too much. No offence. But I think everybody would be sick of that fairly quickly?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Why would someone in Dublin/Cork be interested in the Louth/Laois song? Would be a black hole for money. Silly idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

She’d probably stop her performance to do some sort of bs statement rather than , y’know, actually singing the damn song ...

It’s a no from me Bob

she,d probably chose it as her moment for her annual suicide threat

Sinead has a large following on the European mainland

Didn’t know that. Would any of her euro fans be of the Eurovision watching/voting type? I’ll watch, might like a song or two but won’t vote. Kids will though and will go for the likes of the Italian entry. Their public vote was massive.

Maybe so just saying France was not the only automatic qualifier to do well.

No my mistake, just forgot because 4 of the 6 made up the final 4 .... checks.... yep that is the case :)

Fandymo wrote: »
    Why would someone in Dublin/Cork be interested in the Louth/Laois song? Would be a black hole for money. Silly idea.

2 ideas

Each local radio station chooses 5 songs which their audience vote on to represent them at a grand final. Each song broadcast on RTÉ on National each night, over six weeks (includes all 32).

Final then held in the same way as the Eurovision with a jury from each county. Not sure if public vote could be possible.

Or simply an just the final without the county rounds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,295 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I can just imagine Dee Forbers realising they'll have to put a bit more money into it that just a few people having a discussion in the RTE canteen!

YellowLead wrote: »
    Sounds like waaaaay too much. No offence. But I think everybody would be sick of that fairly quickly?

I don't understand how people watch soaps 3 times or more a week, or the X factor for the entire run, but each to their own.
    Fandymo wrote: »

Why do people follow foreign sports, foreign soaps, foreign news etc? Why do we watch the Eurovision in the first place? Silly question.

As for money, all the county rounds could be done locally. No need to hire out the Helix for a year ;)

TG4 would do a far better job than RTE anyway.

I can just imagine Dee Forbers realising they'll have to put a bit more money into it that just a few people having a discussion in the RTE canteen!

Government need to let RTE know that if we ever did win it again, the hosting costs wouldn't need to come out of RTE budget but government would fund it as a cultural festival. That might make them less scared of winning it...

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Government need to let RTE know that if we ever did win it again, the hosting costs wouldn't need to come out of RTE budget but government would fund it as a cultural festival. That might make them less scared of winning it...

RTÉ need to be told to do some work. The last time RTÉ invested time into the Eurovision was with Dustin's Entry. After that much like most things on RTÉ nothing.

RTÉ spend something like 300,000 on the Eurovision every years AFAIK. I know this includes 8 hours of TV, but they aren't spending the majority of that on the actual show, most if it going towards an entourage, does Marty or the lads on 2FM really have to go to Rome next year?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,207 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

We haven't run a national contest for a good while....if we can skip a national contest to pick Lesley Roy....and Sarah McTernan...I think we could do the same to have fecking Sinead OConnor!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

just thinkin maybe its best that the irish girl got knocked out in the semi's??

i mean imagine being in the final and getting ZERO points?? that would be far more painful

at least in the semi's its just a case of not being selected

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭jackboy

gmisk wrote: »
    We haven't run a national contest for a good while....if we can skip a national contest to pick Lesley Roy....and Sarah McTernan...I think we could do the same to have fecking Sinead OConnor!

I think Lesley Roy and the song were not too bad but a lot of things were messed up.

She was obviously encouraged to sing in a fake accent which sounded horrible. She was put in horrible clothes and given a bad hairstyle. She was made to run around the stage for some reason which made her out of breath. The staging was embarrassingly bad.

If she just went out in her pyjamas, stood in front of a microphone and sang, I guarantee she would have done much better.

gmisk wrote: »
    I had forgotten that.

Seriously… just leave the whole shebang here to the under 20s.

I had forgotten that.
    Seriously… just leave the whole shebang here to the under 20s.

20 somethings maybe... Apart from Malta, Greece and Bulgaria the top entries this year were older than 20.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Absolutely class! Hair raising stuff.

Saved to my favourites!

Advertisement