Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurovision Song Contest 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,847 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

The jury vote was gone for ages and only came back in 2009 because the organisers felt public voting was political.

The participants are doing it for their own fame and fortune (usually sellouts).

The voting public are the likes who watch XFactor. That is reflected in the calibre of the music.

I don't have a problem with the idea of Eurovision, I just wish it could be better. It's dishonest, staged (visuals often win it over sound). It's not about the music, not one iota. I hate that it's the main music contest and it's not about the music.

The juries were only gone between 1998 to 2000 and again 2003 to 2009.

Plenty of years are crap but this year the whole its not about the song thing does not hold up looking at the top acts

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭JuanJose

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    When I first started watching Eurovision it was a contest for the songwriters.

Then it became all about the songs themselves.

Now it's about the theatre of the act.

I don't think it's a music competition per se at all any more.

Mildly entertaining, though (last night's being the first I've watched through in years, mind you).

Good summary.

The bit that gets me though is the musicians get to ponce about with no need to worry about hitting the right notes 'cos they're not plugged in. The singer, on the other hand, has to hit the notes. Not sure why that is. The turnaround time for a tightly scheduled live TV marathon maybe doesn't allow for the stage to be reconfigured. Dunno.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

fvp4 wrote: »
    Politicians?

There are two voting systems. Switzerland would have won if it was a jury only vote. Italy was rewarded for the performance on the night.
    Which is where it seems to be heading now. A mediocre song with enough crowd pleasing visuals can clean up.

The jury vote was gone for ages and only came back in 2009 because the organisers felt public voting was political.

The participants are doing it for their own fame and fortune (usually sellouts).

The voting public are the likes who watch XFactor. That is reflected in the calibre of the music.

I don't have a problem with the idea of Eurovision, I just wish it could be better. It's dishonest, staged (visuals often win it over sound). It's not about the music, not one iota. I hate that it's the main music contest and it's not about the music.

The best songs were rewarded in my opinion. The Swiss song was dull on the night. Possibly I’d have preferred the French song to win but it was close. All the top songs were good. The songs that got zero deserved zero.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,847 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

is_that_so wrote: »
    Which is where it seems to be heading now. A mediocre song with enough crowd pleasing visuals can clean up.

Was Italy full of crowd pleasing visuals ?

• Advertisement

The best songs were rewarded in my opinion. The Swiss song was dull on the night. Possibly I’d have preferred the French song to win but it was close. All the top songs were good. The songs that got zero deserved zero.
    You do get the sense all the same that it's 14 year olds doing a lot of the voting in this.

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Was Italy full of crowd pleasing visuals ?
    Outfits alone would have got them votes!

is_that_so wrote: »

The Italian sing was fine. I’d have preferred the French song but it was pretty good. The other song that did well in the public votes was the Finland song which was also performed well. In neither case were the visuals that exceptional.

Norton was pretty good at knowing what the popular vote would do before it did it. He was able to judge the crowds reaction, and he didn’t like Italy at all

• Registered Users Posts: 28,944 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

JuanJose wrote: »
    Good summary.

The bit that gets me though is the musicians get to ponce about with no need to worry about hitting the right notes 'cos they're not plugged in. The singer, on the other hand, has to hit the notes. Not sure why that is. The turnaround time for a tightly scheduled live TV marathon maybe doesn't allow for the stage to be reconfigured. Dunno.

:D

It really is ridiculous, the more you think about it.

I suppose the secret is not to think about it. It's entertainment. And badly needed this year if all years, gawd knows!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

It’s always been entertainment. It’s always been a mix of music and everything else. The most famous bit of UK Eurovision is girls having their skirts whipped off FFS

I honestly don’t know how some of you can live your life being so angry about a TV show

Every year a different conspiracy is dreamt up

• Advertisement

The Italian sing was fine. I’d have preferred the French song but it was pretty good. The other song that did well in the public votes was the Finland song which was also performed well. In neither case were the visuals that exceptional.

Norton was pretty good at knowing what the popular vote would do before it did it. He was able to judge the crowds reaction, and he didn’t like Italy at all
    I realise that I'm no longer the audience for it and they were like Iron Maiden meets Euro rock! Not that great either. But it's really a talent show that rewards performances on the night. That's what people seem to want.

Dodge wrote: »
    It’s always been entertainment. It’s always been a mix of music and everything else. The most famous bit of UK Eurovision is girls having their skirts whipped off FFS

I honestly don’t know how some of you can live your life being so angry about a TV show

Every year a different conspiracy is dreamt up
    I detect some anger in this post at people who are allegedly angry!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Samsonsmasher

jackboy wrote: »
    Sure, even though the Italian singer is a weedy shorty.

He was manly though. He gets the chicks by the look of him. The Iceland crew looked like dorks. Nice people to play chess with or pick rubbish out of the shrubs in the park with but not people you would have to hang out with in a cool nightclub with cool people?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Delighted Italy won. They had no gimmicks, no political statements, no back/sob story. It was just a good rock song and they looked likes seasoned performers, which they are. Hopefully it will encourage other credible acts to partake.

I think also think the spilt between the jury and the public vote gives us the right result. If it was down to the jury vote only, Switzerland would’ve won, and would’ve been one of the most forgettable acts to win in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭doc22

Didn't like the winners but they had number one in Italy so perhaps they just aren't my taste.But when you have say 20 pop acts and 2 rock acts the pop vote get diluted. In a head to head France Vs Italy I'd say France would have won.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭doc22

Delighted Italy won. They had no gimmicks, no political statements, no back/sob story. It was just a good rock song and they looked likes seasoned performers, which they are. Hopefully it will encourage other credible acts to partake.

I think also think the spilt between the jury and the public vote gives us the right result. If it was down to the jury vote only, Switzerland would’ve won, and would’ve been one of the most forgettable acts to win in years. If it was down to the public vote, Lithuania would’ve won. I liked Lithuania and thought they were fun, but it wouldn’t have been a good winner and would brought the credibility of the contest into question, imo.

They finished 7th on televote

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Zaney

Italy benefited from being relatively different from the other songs. I’m not a fan of rock. Musical tastes vary across Europe and whilst the rock style is not hugely popular here, it’s not the same elsewhere.

If you like rock, you had little to choose from. If you like pop the vote could be split in any number of directions.

Whilst the French song was my favourite, it was always going to struggle with the popular vote, particularly as is was in French.

doc22 wrote: »
    They finished 7th on televote

Ah yes, sorry - my mistake! I got confused with another stat!

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭naufragos123

At first I wasn't mad about the winner and preferred France. But I watched the group again and googled them and saw the appeal. They're young, sassy, cool and very talented and I think on balance, deserved it. The Swiss song was lovely but too like Duncan Lawrence's number. It's nice to see variety and a group haven't won since 2006.

I also think it's brilliant that none of the top songs were in English and that an Italian song actually won. There are brilliant music industries in Europe in the European languages. Great to break away from the domination of English. Especially when ironically, the two English speaking countries in Europe have performed so dismally of recent years. And add Australia to them this year.

Zaney wrote: »
    Italy benefited from being relatively different from the other songs. I’m not a fan of rock. Musical tastes vary across Europe and whilst the rock style is not hugely popular here, it’s not the same elsewhere.

If you like rock, you had little to choose from. If you like pop the vote could be split in any number of directions.

Whilst the French song was my favourite, it was always going to struggle with the popular vote, particularly as is was in French.

I think the fact that *was* in French helped it. People loved the Edit Piaf, French cinematic feel about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

missed it last night

just watched the winning entry on YT and....WTF!!!:eek:

you mean to tell me that was the best song of the night???

• Registered Users Posts: 15,395 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Fair play to Italy

Good to see a “proper” rock group win for once and not that synthetic pop crapola of which the Eurovision has in skip loads

Forza Italia !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭shtpEdthePlum

A proper group needs proper drugs!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

needs a proper song more like, that was just loud noise

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

A proper group needs proper drugs!

Does not look good, although fair play to his mate giving him a nudge so at least he didn't get caught live.

https://twitter.com/DaCruzpt/status/1396263427593621504?s=09

jester77 wrote: »
    Does not look good, although fair play to his mate giving him a nudge so at least he didn't get caught live.

Doesn’t look like drug taking at all to me. His bandmate was giving him a nudge to say the camera is on them and to engage with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭shtpEdthePlum

jester77 wrote: »

Lmao, the bottle in front of him is levitating so if the table is a clear foot below that.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,274 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Sad day when a potential Eurovision winner like the UK`s entry is robbed because of the Brexit lashback. James should have finished in the top 5 at the very least.
    Jesus...utter nonsense.
    It was awful live, he is not a singer or performer at all, songwriter sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,651 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

juneg wrote: »
    However I was very uncomfortable with the humiliation dished out to the UK act and the others who received zero points.

Personally I was very comfortable with this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,651 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Sad day when a potential Eurovision winner like the UK`s entry is robbed because of the Brexit lashback. James should have finished in the top 5 at the very least.

Potential winner??? GTFO

Advertisement