Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raised in England - irish blood. Irish?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Mehapoy wrote: »
    Can't you be a bit of both? You can be Irish, European, from Cork, Munster etc why do people need to chose when it's nationality? Bit like n Ireland, it's all framed as you're British or Irish, choose a side and never give an inch.
    I disagree.

Its common knowledge most people who are irish with an accent who go to the uk suffer discrimination at least once during there time there.

Whereas people of irish descent with british accents don't or if they do its to a much lesser extent.

Some of these people who claim irishness actively ignore such discrimination. Or are at least not bringing it up. Similarly they may be brexiters or not sympathetic to irish issues.

I remember Kathy Burke saying it was hard for her to be Irish while in the uk that might be true but it is going to be much harder for Irish people coming from Ireland with irish accents in the UK.

I once heard a british soldier saying that amnesty for soldiers in the north was fine because many of them were of Irish descent! So they couldn't be anti Irish! ??? It was on George Galloway's podcast.

Its not that you can't be Irish and British. Hopefully many people IN northern ireland WILL feel one day that they can be BOTH irish and british.

But you can't deny or ignore Irish discrimination in british or by the british and claim to be Irish when you have grown up in the UK.

More rubbish!!

No evidence whatsoever that most people with Irish accents suffer discrimination in Britain. It's not the 70s anymore.
    Yes you can grow up in Britain and claim to be irish.

bubblypop wrote: »
    More rubbish!!

No evidence whatsoever that most people with Irish accents suffer discrimination in Britain. It's not the 70s anymore.
    Excuse me i have experienced it. And this was just about 4 yrs ago.

And many more people have too.

I have relatives there and they experience it too. And they say its worse since brexit.

Please stop negating the actual prejudice Irish people people are experiencing.

This recent wave is being documented.

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/abroad/anti-irish-sentiment-in-britain-i-feel-like-i-am-back-in-the-1980s-1.3992131

watch this video. IN FACT EVERY IRISH PERSON SHOULD WATCH THIS VIDEO

Ardal O Hanlon receiving death threats ...i mean ...unbelievable. And yes ....Ardal o hanlan says during the podcast he received death threads.

We can't go on ignoring this.

And yes you CAN be raised in the UK and be considered irish.

And there was a motion launched ....you can read more about it here. Its NOT the 70s yeah its NOW

https://www.newstalk.com/news/anti-irish-discrimination-motion-launched-at-british-parliament-1159800

You stated most, I disagree. Having spent a lot of my life in the UK, with most of my family there, and Irish friends who live there, no-one I know has experienced any discrimination.

Does it exist? Yes, if course, as do many types of discrimination.
    Do I believe it's something that 'most Irish people' suffer? No, not at all.

• Advertisement

You stated most, I disagree. Having spent a lot of my life in the UK, with most of my family there, and Irish friends who live there, no-one I know has experienced any discrimination.

Does it exist? Yes, if course, as do many types of discrimination.
    Do I believe it's something that 'most Irish people' suffer? No, not at all.
    But are you perceived as english...as in do you have an english accent?

I am just saying you might not have encountered it because ...they don't see you as Irish over there.

I am not trying to offend you.

Because every Irish person I know has had one or two instances or remarks who has been there any length of time. I am talking fresh off the boat Irish.

I don't mean every day or like every week etc.

And there has definitely been some from the british govt and politicians of late. You can't deny that.

Priti patel saying we can starve the irish..is very anti irish.

This new bill to give soldiers amnesty etc ...very anti Irish.

A lot of Tory comments and attitude ..is very anti Irish.

I mean you have travel companies making lists of Irish names.

I wonder do people of Irish descent who grow up in the UK ..think of this in the same way we do?

But are you perceived as english...as in do you have an english accent?

I am just saying you might not have encountered it because ...they don't see you as Irish over there.

I am not trying to offend you.

Because every Irish person I know has had one or two instances or remarks who has been there any length of time. I am talking fresh off the boat Irish.

I don't mean every day or like every week etc.

And there has definitely been some from the british govt and politicians of late. You can't deny that.

Priti patel saying we can starve the irish..is very anti irish.

This new bill to give soldiers amnesty etc ...very anti Irish.

A lot of Tory comments and attitude ..is very anti Irish.

I mean you have travel companies making lists of Irish names.

I wonder do people of Irish descent who grow up in the UK ..think of this in the same way we do?

No, I have an Irish accent, as do all my Irish friends and some of my family.

I have suffered far more anti British sentiment then the opposite

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

Am I Irish?

born in England to Irish parents - did Irish Dancing, taught by nuns, mass every Sunday, Irish holidays every summer etc

Emigrated to Australia when I was 9, still did Irish dancing etc, returned to Ireland at 17 and continued to travel back twice more before permanently moving to Ireland at 30. Back now over 25 years.

I still sound English, though haven’t lived there in over 45 years, i have an Irish passport, married an Irish man and have raised my family here.

Am I Irish? I think so.

Am I Irish?

born in England to Irish parents - did Irish Dancing, taught by nuns, mass every Sunday, Irish holidays every summer etc

Emigrated to Australia when I was 9, still did Irish dancing etc, returned to Ireland at 17 and continued to travel back twice more before permanently moving to Ireland at 30. Back now over 25 years.

I still sound English, though haven’t lived there in over 45 years, i have an Irish passport, married an Irish man and have raised my family here.

Am I Irish? I think so.
    Yes!

And if you don't like Boris Jonson ..even more so! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

He went to an english private school. He was born in kent!

He was born in Kent but lived in tipp until he was 6

So he is full tan :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,965 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Am I Irish?

Was Éamon de Valera Irish? Born in New York City to an Irish mother and a Spanish father, but by 16 he was playing Rugby at Blackrock College. If he had been an Irish citizen, he would probably have been executed in 1916; his US citizenship saved his skin.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Yes - I would use the historian Herodotus' critera : shared blood, shared language & shared culture mean there is shared ethnic connection, accent being immaterial

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Yes you can grow up in Britain and claim to be irish.

Agreed ✓

bnt wrote: »
    Was Éamon de Valera Irish? Born in New York City to an Irish mother and a Spanish father, but by 16 he was playing Rugby at Blackrock College. If he had been an Irish citizen, he would probably have been executed in 1916; his US citizenship saved his skin.
    According to my great grandmother ....he gave up his irishness the day he did that! She hated him!
    She felt he used it.

Also SHE WAS A COLLINS WOMAN!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Prev.

I'd prefer to call myself English tbh

Clownshow here ,more to fix but more to like about the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 13,608 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Ah ffs. Born and raised in England, they're English. From Irish ancestry but they are English.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

According to my great grandmother ....he gave up his irishness the day he did that! She hated him!
    She felt he used it.

Also SHE WAS A COLLINS WOMAN!

Isn’t that a myth? It’s not on record that his nationality saved him us it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Isn’t that a myth? It’s not on record that his nationality saved him us it ?
    It's an urban legend. De Valera wasn't executed because he was a minor figure, so was well down the list. By the time he would have faced a firing squad the executions had already ceased.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

It's an urban legend. De Valera wasn't executed because he was a minor figure, so was well down the list. By the time he would have faced a firing squad the executions had already ceased.

Not an urban legend but it's often overstated. It was merely one of a number of factors - his relative obscurity compared to the other leaders, the lateness of his court martial were other factors. Writing him off as a minor figure is perhaps unfair. He wasn't one of the signatories but he did command the third battalion and had command of one of the nine main locations seized.
    Before De Valera's court martial, his wife Sinéad had already made representations to the American Consul in Dublin that he was a US citizen and the Consul had written to that effect to the most senior official in Dublin Castle, the Under Secretary, Sir Matthew Nathan. His relations in New York - notably his half-brother, Father Thomas Wainwright, a Redemptorist priest - did likewise.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/1916/the-rising-explained/how-dev-escaped-execution-in-1916-34495475.html

• Registered Users Posts: 24,942 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

cj maxx wrote: »
    Ah ffs. Born and raised in England, they're English. From Irish ancestry but they are English.

This.. my first cousin was born in London to Irish parents. She has lived every second of her life in London and considers herself English. She has an English and Irish passport, proud of her Irish ethnicity, LOVES coming here on holiday and has done so mostly twice a year all her life... but she is English...and considers herself so...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

Strumms wrote: »
    This.. my first cousin was born in London to Irish parents. She has lived every second of her life in London and considers herself English. She has an English and Irish passport, proud of her Irish ethnicity, LOVES coming here on holiday and has done so mostly twice a year all her life... but she is English...and considers herself so...

Thats perfectly fine, but there will be a sizeable minority of English people who wont consider her English because her parents are Irish. I started a thread here asking people whether someone had to be ethnically Irish to be considered Irish and a third said yes. So I presume English people have similar views.

Also growing up in a multi ethnic city like London where the concept of what is classified as English is probably broader than it is elsewhere. I grew up in Suffolk and most people upon finding out I had Irish parents considered me Irish or at least as much Irish as I was British. And I copped a lot of crap for it at school particularly from kids from British military backgrounds, whose dad served during the troubles.

And I copped a lot of crap for it at school particularly from kids from British military backgrounds, whose dad served during the troubles.

Try being a kid with a thick Yorkshire accent moving to a border town in the late 80s!!!I

Try being a kid with a thick Yorkshire accent moving to a border town in the late 80s!!!I

I've lived in Northern Ireland for 20 years and never had any problems for my English accent, finished school here too.

Appreciate I came here just after the signing of the good Friday agreement living here in peace time not during the height of the troubles mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭4Ad

Im in East Clare 44 years after 9 years in East London, people here still pick up on the accent but in England and abroad they know I'm Irish.
    My parents are/were Irish and proudly consider myself Irish..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Purple is a Fruit

Both.

4Ad wrote: »
    Im in East Clare 44 years after 9 years in East London, people here still pick up on the accent but in England and abroad they know I'm Irish.

So you're seen as English here and Irish over there? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

4Ad wrote: »

This is me, 9 years in UK, 20 in Australia, 26 in Ireland - here they still hear an English accent after almost 50 years, everywhere else they hear Irish accent.

My parents are Irish and I consider myself Irish

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭DColeman

cj maxx wrote: »

My thoughts as well. Not sure why so many people on this poll think otherwise. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Panrich

It depends. Can they play football?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Clue’s in the -ish

Advertisement