Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring 2021 General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Blazing sunshine with no cloud in Dublin but RTE are telling me it's raining right now, what are they at?

It was raining in my part of south Dublin for an hour earlier and it looks like it's raining at the moment in west Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Weird, it's beautiful in D5

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Heavy rain every day this week in Letterkenny (except maybe Monday, can't remember..)

Torrential rain/hail at the moment

Dublin east coast. Another nice day in a supposedly bad week.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

wettest day of the week here in Meath, plenty of showers on and off for past few hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Rain just starting here now in cork city. Not a Great month, some lovely sunsets though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Pressure pattern animation for the last 7 days. Flabbed out low which anchored itself off the west coast on Saturday stuck around for the best part of the week. Dissipating now but only to be replaced by another fresh one for next week.

UeJoQB1.gif

The yawn fest to continue.

New Moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Lovely day in the SE. A very little wind, a few bits of fair weather cloud drifting by. If anything a bit too warm when working outside (yeah I know!)

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Horrible wet dreary evening. Today was ok up to about 5 there was a bit of sun and no wind. This month has been dismal so far. Cold, at times wet at times windy not much sun. The outlook for the next week not great either. Things need to start picking up surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Pressure pattern animation for the last 7 days. Flabbed out low which anchored itself off the west coast on Saturday stuck around for the best part of the week. Dissipating now but only to be replaced by another fresh one for next week.

UeJoQB1.gif

The yawn fest to continue.

It always amazes me how the weather can be so different across this island depending on location. Apart from the 6mm that fell here in Southern Laois on Wednesday afternoon and the Monday showers it has been a relatively decent week in these parts. Not much to complain about round here apart from the lack of decent heat, but the good sunny spells coupled with a largely benign breeze made it pleasant enough considering the atmospheric profile.

• Advertisement

Danno wrote: »
    It always amazes me how the weather can be so different across this island depending on location. Apart from the 6mm that fell here in Southern Laois on Wednesday afternoon and the Monday showers it has been a relatively decent week in these parts. Not much to complain about round here apart from the lack of decent heat, but the good sunny spells coupled with a largely benign breeze made it pleasant enough considering the atmospheric profile.

Always think the same. When you're coming in to land at DUB you can easily see all the way from the Mourne mountains to the tip of Wexford. Makes you realise how a tiny body of land we live on compared to the scale of weather systems yet the difference between e.g. Donegal and Wexford can be night and day for much of the year

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

On that; here are the distances between the stations. It's a small island in some ways but not others...

51170992230_e880149abd_b.jpg

Horrible morning in Dublin. Just watching BBC weather, it's cooler than normal pretty much all over Europe this month. I think it was 2 years ago we were having highs of 12c in the middle of June, I really hope it has changed by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Status Yellow - Thunderstorm warning for Leinster, Munster, Connacht

Met Éireann Weather Warning

Scattered thunderstorms this afternoon and evening, bringing some heavy downpours with a risk of hail and localised spot flooding.

Valid: 12:00 Saturday 15/05/2021 to 21:00 Saturday 15/05/21

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Absolute cracker of a day yesterday for my trip to Waterford (Tintern Abbey, Cheekpoint). 15, 16c throughout and tshirt weather for a time. Glorious.

I replanned the day when I saw that Killarney would be under the pisser from lunchtime onwards. Great call. Headed home from Waterford when it started drizzling.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭appledrop

Miserable auld morning in Dublin alright.

Ah well I suppose that means it's time to do the boring jobs around the house.

Hopefully tomorrow will be nicer to get out and about.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭highdef

There was rain first thing this morning in North kildare but that was gone by about 9am. Good warm sunny spells between 11 and 12 but has clouded up again and will be surprised if there are no showers in the coming hours.

Horrible wet day in Letterkenny again

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

wet day in Meath. No let up in the cool and unsettled conditions between now and the end of the month. Infact we could have one more cold plunge about a week from now with possibly wintry conditions on hill tops.

Gonzo wrote: »
    wet day in Meath. No let up in the cool and unsettled conditions between now and the end of the month. Infact we could have one more cold plunge about a week from now with possibly wintry conditions on hill tops.

Ah ffs! Write off of a month so. June and July needs to deliver something really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Torrential downpours in Castlebar, some spot flooding already.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,348 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Was a lovely day in midlands until 5 mins ago

And there's the thunder and lightning

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

Xenji wrote: »
    Torrential downpours in Castlebar, some spot flooding already.
    I figured that it must have been fairly coming down there alright Xenji. The sky looked very dark and threatening out that way.
    Below a pic of some of that shower cloud over Castlebar direction at 15.05hrs today as seen from my own location to the east.

553142.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭appledrop

Thankfully rain stopped in NCD so we could walk to barber's for my son's haircut!

Plenty of dark clouds around but no more rain.

Edited: Raining lightly here again now.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,007 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

There has been intense rain showers in north Donegal/Inishowen for the last 2 days.

Spells of sunshine in between, but when it rains, it really rains!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Always think the same. When you're coming in to land at DUB you can easily see all the way from the Mourne mountains to the tip of Wexford. Makes you realise how a tiny body of land we live on compared to the scale of weather systems yet the difference between e.g. Donegal and Wexford can be night and day for much of the year

When flying in at night and you're looking at the lights of Bray out of the left isle window and the lights of Holyhead out of the right isle window before meaningful descent.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Danno wrote: »
    When flying in at night and you're looking at the lights of Bray out of the left isle window and the lights of Holyhead out of the right isle window before meaningful descent.

It's only 92 km from Bray to Holyhead. Out in the middle of the sea ypu would only need to be at a height of just 170 m to see the shorelines of both places. Flying at say 7000 ft you could see Liverpool on one side and Athlone on the other (330 km apart).

it's beautiful now in Dublin 5, wasn't expecting this

Once again Dublin east coast better than expected. I would rate this a pretty good May here.

• Advertisement

We’d a cloudy start then about an hour and a half of warm sunshine but the downpours have started now again.
    Edit: by warm I mean 15-16 degrees.

Advertisement