Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring 2021 General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

km79 wrote: »
    We got it too early last year !
    I haven’t found may too bad tbh. It’s been reasonably dry and bright ? The wind has made it feel cool though at times no doubt though.
    Hasnt made a difference to the young lad though. He has been in shorts since the sun came out in mid March :D

Ah no it hasn't been too bad, I have met people outside in the evenings though and it gets cold pretty fast. We just usually get a period of summery type weather in May, but hopefully it's just on hold for a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,782 ✭✭✭sporina

well here in Cork its definitely not a typical May.. we've had sunny mornings then the sky blackens followed by thundery downpours.. 1st few weeks wer v windy too.. temp is lower than normal.. my Dad is 83 and as a farmer says he has never seen a May like it.. the grass isn't growing - its a problem for farmers.. so something is going on..

I would have thought that someone in this forum with meteorological knowledge would have some insight?

sporina wrote: »
    well here in Cork its definitely not a typical May.. we've had sunny mornings then the sky blackens followed by thundery downpours.. 1st few weeks wer v windy too.. temp is lower than normal.. my Dad is 83 and as a farmer says he has never seen a May like it.. the grass isn't growing - its a problem for farmers.. so something is going on..

I would have thought that someone in this forum with meteorological knowledge would have some insight?

If you look at MT’s forecasts he talks about it being below normal on sun and temperature. And above normal on rain.

It didn’t feel that bad in Dublin though. Wonder if anyone is taking stats.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭OldRio

Wet windy and cold May around these parts. Very little growth. 10 months of poor weather with the occasional day or two of sun.
    If June follows the same trend?

Leitrim.

Was nice for a little while here in Dublin city centre, then thunder and rain came and it suddenly felt freezing cold

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,880 ✭✭✭pauldry

Increasingly looking like the last few days of May will bring a significant improvement in the weather. Temperatures might at last get into the twenties.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

pauldry wrote: »
    Increasingly looking like the last few days of May will bring a significant improvement in the weather. Temperatures might at last get into the twenties.

Hopefully this comes to fruition, have my holiday booked for the first week in June.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

-0.9c at Katesbridge the night before last.
    Castlederg got down to freezing this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

What’s the strory Pauldry? What’s been forecast and when? Jesus that would be brilliant.

Psycho day here again in Cork.. sun shine and blue skies this morn.. then the sky darkened wit a mass of navy thundery clouds.. then the downpours., thunder and lightening.. then sun.. then more of the thundery sort..

This is no ordinary rain.. its thundery.. and the weather changes rapidly.. crazy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,071 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Another mad day following a recent pattern of nice and bright in the morning before turning increasingly cloudy and wet as the day goes on with crazy heavy showers and far from comfortable temperatures. Getting fairly sick of it now at this stage.

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Another mad day following a recent pattern of nice and bright in the morning before turning increasingly cloudy and wet as the day goes on with crazy heavy showers and far from comfortable temperatures. Getting fairly sick of it now at this stage.

Yes this is the pattern we’ve had also. Some posters have been saying it hasn’t been a bad May bit for me so far so bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

Thursday night is looking very stormy, up to force 10 wind I understand!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭jkforde

Considered with wind chill, is this the chilliest May for years?, or am I just getting old and need to start imbibing Ovaltine!? ❄️ Probably just missing Spain hols!

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭alentejo

Enjoy today - Looks like Thursday and Friday are a write off! Wind and Rain multiplied by more wind and rain

alentejo wrote: »
    Enjoy today - Looks like Thursday and Friday are a write off! Wind and Rain multiplied by more wind and rain

It’s been such a disappointing month. We haven’t had one good day here for the whole month. Constant showers or longer spells of rain. Cool and sometimes windy. Take the point that it’s still technically Spring but we need a change soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Certainly running around 2C below average here in south Dublin so far, that said the last week often times significantly warms up historically, my money is still on a cooler than average month though. Not particularily wet so far though and has been decent stretches of sun, so not the worst overall. The grass is growing like mad here!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 18,071 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Today following the same pattern as the last week or two. Nice and bright in the morning but with overcast cool conditions moving in over the course of the morning and increasingly turning wet. As I type the heavy prolonged showers are here. And the next 2 days look atrocious. Pretty poor May all round.

East Cork.

Here in Cork today was suppose to be better according in all 3 forecast apps I use.. but its pretty much pants - sun - rain, repeat.. next week looks to be better - but ya never know - even YR.NO which is usually v reliable was out for today

• Advertisement

yr.no is great for rainfall predictions. Never too far off.

That said it says 16mm for Sligo tomorrow and 27mm for Cork
    Wouldnt mind them being wrong

yr.no is great for rainfall predictions. Never too far off.

That said it says 16mm for Sligo tomorrow and 27mm for Cork
    Wouldnt mind them being wrong

yeah it usually is - but said no rain for here today last night - not the case.. was surprised.. wouldn't mind Met Eireann - is often wrong..

yes I hope its wrong tomorrow too lol - I need my walks like a dog

Someone I think it was Pauldry mentioned some better weather on the horizon for the end of the month? Is there any more updates on that?

The end of next week looked to have been a bit nicer but now its just showing showers and 16c until the end of time

The end of next week will be a vast improvement on anything so far. Might only get to 18c but could get into the 20s by the very end of May

i don't mind the lower than normal temp - its the rain I am sick of.. or the unpredictability of it..

so it would seem that global warming is the blame - the gulf stream is all messed up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

I thought that this evening was one of the nicest evenings in a while here near Castlebar because that cool and at times cold breeze that has brought a real chill to so many evenings in recent weeks finally relented.
    We have had plenty of sunny spells since the weekend and seemed to have escaped most of the showers that have affected many other parts of the country.
    We had one of the most beautiful evening skies in a long time here as high cloud approaching ahead of the incoming weather system captured the afterglow of the setting sun.

Spring in the air at the Museum of Country Life in Turlough, Co Mayo earlier this eve.
    553566.jpg

High cloud approaches from the south ahead of the incoming system and the scent of the hawthorn in flower filled the evening air.
    553567.jpg

Beautiful colours that this photo does not do justice to lingered in the western sky well after sundown.
    553568.jpg

Advertisement