Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring 2021 General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭esposito

Wet morning here 10 degrees with a real feel of 7 on my run this morning! The forecast is bad for the week. Hopefully we’re getting our quota of bad weather out of the way and June and July come good.

For once I am actually quite optimistic that June and July will be good this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭highdef

esposito wrote: »
    For once I am actually quite optimistic that June and July will be good this year!

I'm inclined to agree with you. By then, we'll have been stuck in a cool and often wet pattern for a few months. A major pattern change will be due by then. There are no guarantees though, of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Wet morning here 10 degrees with a real feel of 7 on my run this morning! The forecast is bad for the week. Hopefully we’re getting our quota of bad weather out of the way and June and July come good.

I just got your username, only took a couple of months :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

I love your optimism...
    I, for one, am so sick of this cold/cool weather..(I am a very cold creature..)
    Fingers crossed something changes soon...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭appledrop

Yeah, that's what I'm saying to everyone giving out about current May weather.

I take this for May if we have a decent summer!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Pig of a day ridiculous really lashing rain and cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,880 ✭✭✭pauldry

Well I guess we are going to find out if a cool May really means a good Summer

• Registered Users Posts: 18,071 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Horrible day in East Cork. Slate grey skies, lashing rain, cool and quite windy. And more of the same for the week ahead.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

decent day so far in Meath, warm sunshine up to about 20 minutes ago but becoming more cloudy now, could well be showers over the next few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭OldRio

Monsoon Season arrives early this year in Leitrim.

Slight exaggeration but this rain is intense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭White Clover

OldRio wrote: »
    Monsoon Season arrives early this year in Leitrim.

Slight exaggeration but this rain is intense.

Not needed down here in Cork either.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

How come the weather is so different from last year.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,117 ✭✭✭pad199207

Wet evening in Kildare and feeling chilly

4mm in the gauge

• Registered Users Posts: 6,880 ✭✭✭pauldry

Same in Sligo. 53mm so far

....for May

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

first half of today was lovely and felt warm in the sun, after 4pm it's been cold and wet, could easily pass for January or February.

pauldry wrote: »
    Same in Sligo. 53mm so far

....for May

60mm here so far in Arklow for may
    The barns better fill with corn and hay!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Bright and breezy here just outside Castlebar.not a bad day

• Registered Users Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Been sunny all day so far by the Howth coast with a fair SE breeze. Could be worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

A good day here especially compared to recent days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Beautiful day here in Limerick. Always much nicer when you're not expecting it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,109 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

****e, been raining here since early afternoon. Scattered showers my arse.

West Clare

Nice day today in Meath, warm when the sun is shining but fairly chilly when the sun goes in behind the clouds.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Hopefully some sparks today

Status Yellow - Thunderstorm warning for Leinster, Cavan, Donegal, Monaghan, Munster

Met Éireann Weather Warning

Scattered thunderstorms this afternoon and evening, with a risk of hail and localised spot flooding.

Valid: 13:00 Wednesday 12/05/2021 to 22:00 Wednesday 12/05/2021

Is there any sign from the models of some decent weather coming! It’s like something out of late October this morning damp cool overcast at least the wind is gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

No wind in Dublin but doesn't feel like May, nice conditions for jogging though so I'll be out at lunch!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Is there any sign from the models of some decent weather coming! It’s like something out of late October this morning damp cool overcast at least the wind is gone.

Sadly not at the moment. This Greenland blocking just doesn't want to bugger off. As long as it's there, it poses a risk of further northerlies bringing cool air from the north.

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Sadly not at the moment. This Greenland blocking just doesn't want to bugger off. As long as it's there, it poses a risk of further northerlies bringing cool air from the north.

Cheers for the update sryan.

The Greenland High will eventually go.... just in time for winter 2021/2022.

I have a memory of this time last year being cold also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭highdef

I have a memory of this time last year being cold also.

As per your username, are you in the southeast of Ireland? If so, May was generally very nice; drier, warmer and sunnier than average. At Johnstown, May was the sunniest month of 2020 by a large amount. It was also the driest month with only 17.7mm recorded there. The mean temp was 11.4°, slightly above the average of 11.1° for May for that location.

Advertisement