Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Yyhhuuu

Mimon wrote: »
    Have a very wealthy uncle, definitely has assets worth 10 million plus. At weddings I've seen him with a naggin of whiskey under the table topping up his drink. Would kill him to drink all night at pub prices :D

He's dead right.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,942 ✭✭✭pgj2015

This doesn't qualify as particularly cheap, just a bit sh*tty.

Moved to Galway in my early 20s and didn't know many people down there, apart from a guy I would have been good mates with in college in Athlone. Anywho, I remember chatting to him one Saturday afternoon to see if he was interested in a night out in town and he said "sound, call up to the house and we'll have a few cans here first". When I got there, he was sitting on the couch in a pair of trackies and a United shirt, looking like he had no intentions of leaving the house.

After a while, it was hitting towards 9.30pm and I was getting itchy feet, so I asked him if he was going to get ready, to which he replied he had no money for going out. Mad for town, I offered him a loan of €50 that he could give me back after a few weeks, no biggie (I know, my own fault, he knew what he was at). I asked him for it back 3 or 4 times over the next couple of months, before giving up the ghost. That was in 2007. About a year later, one week I was particularly skint and decided to ask for it back again, but he just sort of laughed at me. I think he felt like he had sort of gotten one over on me. He would take satisfaction in that sort of thing. I gave up after that and stopped bothering to keep contact with him.

TL;DR: loaned one of the lads fifty quid to come on the piss 14 years ago, he never paid it back and probably thinks he's a great lad because of it. It was a sh*te night too.

if it bothers you that much, you should wait until he is at the bar some night paying for drinks, grab a fifty note from his hand as he is paying and tell him its the 50 he owes you.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

pgj2015 wrote: »
    if it bothers you that much, you should wait until he is at the bar some night paying for drinks, grab a fifty note from his hand as he is paying and tell him its the 50 he owes you.

Or just avoid him. He is obviously an arsehole (man u fan) and now you never have to speak to him again and it only cost you 50 quid. Good value really.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Jeremy Sproket

My dad owns a few houses and commercial properties on a main street somewhere (not saying where :P ).

A girl rents out one of his premises for a nail and beauty bar. During the lockdown when she couldn't open, my dad let her off with one or two months rent here and there instead of letting her go out of business completely because he always said he is a believer in enterprise and helping businesses, especially small family business. There was a food establishment that approached him about renting a place, he could have turfed her out for not paying rent and gotten someone else in but didn't.

When it opened again, my mam and I went in to get out nails and manicure done ..... and the greedy bitch charged us ! The girl who works there also owns it and she knows well who we are.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,973 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

My dad owns a few houses and commercial properties on a main street somewhere (not saying where :P ).

A girl rents out one of his premises for a nail and beauty bar. During the lockdown when she couldn't open, my dad let her off with one or two months rent here and there instead of letting her go out of business completely because he always said he is a believer in enterprise and helping businesses, especially small family business. There was a food establishment that approached him about renting a place, he could have turfed her out for not paying rent and gotten someone else in but didn't.

When it opened again, my mam and I went in to get out nails and manicure done ..... and the greedy bitch charged us ! The girl who works there also owns it and she knows well who we are.

Lol.

And we're off...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Business is business.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Yes, and now she's able to pay rent for the premises! You and your ma are the stingy f**kers in this story.

Obviously she charged you, she has been closed for months. And I don't think your dad could throw them out as he told them not to worry about the rent for a few months, he could hardly throw them out them just because he was approached by another business. pay your own way and don't expect things for free.
    Also your dad dad owns the unit, not you.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Panic Stations

Did you walk in there expecting it to get it for free?

I'm sensing a little bit of entitlement here.

She's running a business. She probably thought you guys were going in there to help support her business.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Ohhhhhh, stories about Jeremy Sproket when he takes over the family empire are going to keep this thread going for years :rolleyes::D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,780 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

My dad is the highest paid partner at KPMG!

This is my favourite ah thread!
    Especially when the stinge gets rebounded.

Imagine going to an acknowledged struggling business and expecting freebies!

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

reminds me of the Godfather type scenario where landlords think their families can just show up and take advantage of poor tenants. the landlord was thinking of his selfish interests in letting tenant have a free month or two, it means she will pay when she can and he is not left with a vacant unit. werent beauty saloons closed for almost a year and not a couple of months. id be interested in hearing Jeremy Sprockets other stories.

Business is business.

Well, isn't it lucky my dad didn't take this attitude and turf her out?

Ah no, because he'd be vilified by the daily rags as a monster landlord destroying a small business.

Doing his wife's and daughter's nails would have been a nice token gesture. He never even got a verbal thanks or a card or letter of gratitude for the free rent.

Kat1170 wrote: »
    Ohhhhhh, stories about Jeremy Sproket when he takes over the family empire are going to keep this thread going for years :rolleyes::D:D

I'm a she.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Ah no, because he'd be vilified by the daily rags as a monster landlord destroying a small business.

Doing his wife's and daughter's nails would have been a nice token gesture. He never even got a verbal thanks or a card or letter of gratitude for the free rent.

But if they weren't there I don't get the issue, they couldn't open, if I were you I'd be taking my anger out on the gubernment, they have made a mess of all this

It's unbelievably stingy you expected to get work done for free.

How do you think she will be able to pay for the rent if your mum and you keep coming in for free, then it turns out you're in there every second day etc etc....

Your dad is doing very well for himself if he has numerous properties and especially commercial as I'm sure the rents and return are high.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭sportsfan90

When I was in college and didn't have much money I lent my older brother €200 on the condition I'd have it back by the weekend.

He kept putting off paying me back for weeks for the most pathetic of reasons - he didn't want to take out the money so he'd avoid any ATM fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

He never even got a verbal thanks or a card or letter of gratitude for the free rent.

FFS.

Your dad isn't in business to do anyone any favors. he could let a new business in that unit but they might go under in 6 months. the current tenant must have been a good tenant pre covid. Throwing her out due to the pandemic would look awful and his name would be dirt in the local community. Business isn't all about money.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

He didn't turf her out because he'd be vilified by the daily rags as a monster landlord destroying a small business. It made business sense for him to get something in and have a business ready to go when restrictions lifted instead of having it closed up and waiting months for a new tenant to appear. The tenant may well have thought you were giving support by coming in and giving her business not looking for a freebie.
    I presume you gave no tip either?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Less c**ty landlord stories, more stinge!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Panic Stations

Less c**ty landlord stories, more stinge!

Yeah, we're getting off topic here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Maybe she was up the walls trying to keep a roof over her head and food on the table.

Maybe a loved one was ill with covid.

Either way, you don't get petals thrown at your feet for being a somewhat decent human being.

Anyway, on with the stinge!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,812 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

If your parents own that much property then you and your mom can surely well afford to pay for your nails and not be expecting freebies. This girl has been out of work for months so I hope you gave her a big tip.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Cork Lass wrote: »
    If your parents own that much property then you and your mom can surely well afford to pay for your nails and not be expecting freebies. This girl has been out of work for months so I hope you gave her a big tip.

Saaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

The stinge is on you in this case, and probably well learned from your parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭eurokev

Are you the girl from the "my daddy works for kpmg" video

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

A card? Let me guess, your father owns the local new agents.

Regarding a food establishment taking over the unit, you couldn’t give
    Units away in the last six months. ,your father was lucky to get any rent at all
    In the last year from tenants who were unable to operate.
    And any business looking to take out a new lease is going to look for
    At least six months rent free...
    So if your father lost a couple of months rent off this nail bar, he did very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Lol.

And we're off...

Good call

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Yyhhuuu

My friend who is very well off with a few properties rented out ( no mortgages mind you) including her own home and the granny flat. So not short of a few Bob. Mad for money but tight as a ducks arse. Her cat was knocked down by a car. She rang the DSPCA to say a STRAY cat was knocked down. They came out and took it to the vet and paid large vets bill. She then phoned them up to "adopt" her cat back.

I thought it was a masterstroke in stinge!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭AlphabetCards

I work late evenings, and I look in the vending machines when I'm hungry for a bit of chocolate. I only ever put the money in when it looks like they have packed it badly, and that I'll get two for one. Had a great one last week, two twirls and two small bags of haribo. Bring the stinge hate!
    I presume you gave no tip either?
    Cork Lass wrote: »

Go 'way with your north american nonsense. A tip. Jesus christ. You pair go and tip away to your hearts content, the rest of us can share out the cringe to mitigate it's magnitude.

Advertisement