Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Not absolutely stingy but was slightly bemused the a few days ago when I seen a chap putting €20 unleaded into a 18 reg Porsche Panamera. I regularly see €60k plus crossovers with bald tyres, sometimes with the wire showing through.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Not absolutely stingy but was slightly bemused the a few days ago when I seen a chap putting €20 unleaded into a 18 reg Porsche Panamera.
    If joyriders take it they won't get far.;)

I've heard of taxi drivers doing it for that reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,165 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

If joyriders take it they won't get far.;)

I've heard of taxi drivers doing it for that reason.

It’s more likely so they can chance their arm telling a punter “sorry I’ve to pull in for petrol now” and leave the meter running

(It’s happened me twice in about 20 years worth of taxis and hasn’t in about 10-12 and it still annoys me - told them no way both times)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,942 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Dodge wrote: »
    It’s more likely so they can chance their arm telling a punter “sorry I’ve to pull in for petrol now” and leave the meter running

(It’s happened me twice in about 20 years worth of taxis and hasn’t in about 10-12 and it still annoys me - told them no way both times)

You can pause the meter you know? I doubt they would leave it running to go get petrol.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭Kat1170

pgj2015 wrote: »
    You can pause the meter you know? I doubt they would leave it running to go get petrol.

Some of them wouldn't pause it when they stop to let their mother's funeral cortege Pas by

• Advertisement

Kat1170 wrote: »
    Some of them wouldn't pause it when they stop to let their mother's funeral cortege Pas by

Then you need to ask them to pause it,if they refuse, tell them you will report them to the NTA. simple. Most are sound and will pause it, even sometimes when they don't have to. Like if you stop at a shop or off licence.

Then you need to ask them to pause it,if they refuse, tell them you will report them to the NTA. simple. Most are sound and will pause it, even sometimes when they don't have to. Like if you stop at a shop or off licence.

Most wouldn’t ask to stop for petrol. As I said it happened twice. Either way I said no.

And I’d have no problem with the meter running if I ask for a stop. In fact I’d be astonished if any taxi did stop

Off topic of course…

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Most wouldn’t ask to stop for petrol. As I said it happened twice. Either way I said no.

And I’d have no problem with the meter running if I ask for a stop. In fact I’d be astonished if any taxi did stop

Off topic of course…

what if the car runs out of petrol on the way to wherever you are going?

what if the car runs out of petrol on the way to wherever you are going?

I’m not arguing strawman here but I’d have no sympathy for a taxi man who let that happen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Not absolutely stingy but was slightly bemused the a few days ago when I seen a chap putting €20 unleaded into a 18 reg Porsche Panamera. I regularly see €60k plus crossovers with bald tyres, sometimes with the wire showing through.

Some do it to get to a cheaper place a few miles away. There is a considerable variation in price between different outlets.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Gamergurll

From the US presidents thread.
    Could it be a thing where they get so many cheques they just file everything together to be cashed, not checking silly amounts like 13cents and discarding them, we don't know obviously but I find that so hard to believe, stingy or not it wouldn't be worth the effort (though I know that's what the whole thread is about :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭893bet

Gamergurll wrote: »
    Could it be a thing where they get so many cheques they just file everything together to be cashed, not checking silly amounts like 13cents and discarding them, we don't know obviously but I find that so hard to believe, stingy or not it wouldn't be worth the effort (though I know that's what the whole thread is about :p

Does anyone really believe Trump knew anything about that cheque?

I suspect he doesn’t open his own post. Or drop down the bank......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭OhHiMark

That newspaper or whatever it was went to the trouble of making a company and sending out cheques to celebrities to try to get a story out of someone cashing it for a small amount. I'm about as far from a Trump supporter as you can get but he's not the one who comes out of that looking petty.

I’m not arguing strawman here but I’d have no sympathy for a taxi man who let that happen

ok, you might not have any sympathy for him/her but you might miss your appointment/meeting etc so it will be you who will suffer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

FFS! Enough of the petrol in a taxi ****e. More stinge stories!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,659 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

893bet wrote: »
    Does anyone really believe Trump knew anything about that cheque?

I suspect he doesn’t open his own post. Or drop down the bank......

He has a limited ability to read, so I doubt he opens or even looks at his own post

• Registered Users Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭893bet

He has a limited ability to read, so I doubt he opens or even looks at his own post

He seems to have done ok all the same.

Some do it to get to a cheaper place a few miles away. There is a considerable variation in price between different outlets.
    I know, I would on occasion do that myself but I'm driving a run of the mill 2011 Toyota. That said I'd likely only do it if the filling station I was in seemed to be lacing on a hefty premium per litre.
    Each to their own and all that but it doesn't quite sit right in my book that someone who can afford a car with a list price of €129k upwards would be doing that (or maybe that's the thing - can they afford the car if that's their attitude).

The nearest filling station out the road may (may not) be a cent or 2 maximum cheaper and he would have had a right long spin in the direction he seemed to be going before he would get it any cheaper. Not that he knew that and it is going away from the point I was aiming to get across.

ok, you might not have any sympathy for him/her but you might miss your appointment/meeting etc so it will be you who will suffer.
    In my book any so called professional that allows a situation like that to happen when they have a fare paying passenger on board should not be driving a taxi. Only exception I might overlook would be where a considerable distance needs to be covered as in well in excess of 50km which realistically would not happen too often for a taxi driver and if it did chances are it may often be pre-booked so he would know what he needs to before he picks up his fare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,420 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Indeed, okay for someone who started out with his bare wits and a mere $7 million of racist slumlord Daddy's funds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Christ girl get over it the entitlment. That salon owner still had to pay insurance cost while closed, feed and home herself and possible dependants. Then on top of that would have had to throw out a lot of products that had been opened but not had gone off in the meantime as they werent getting used. Not to mention all the extra expense of all the covid safety procedures thats needed to be implemented on reopening like not been able to reuse the same nail files etc anymore. Can you not see through the fact everyone here are telling you that you are the one in the wrong here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Actually so called "influencers" or insta huns are some of the biggest stingest going. This whole craic of anyone know or recommend where i could get X and a few days later they come on o the people from such a company sent me this. Like if you need something look it up on google like the rest of us plebs

Some people whenever they have to actual pay for something they make sure they let you know...a bit like vegans

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

StingeyStory:

A few years back, a cantankerous elderly relative, let's call her CER, demanded to have lunch in at a Dublin cafe, where a middle-aged family relative works as a waitress. We arrive along, our relly catches us on the way in and on the way to our choice of table, she asks us how we are, asks after a few family friends, lets us know the specials, grabs the menus, preps the table, checks we're fine and leaves us to make our choices. A few minutes later, she arrives back and asks me, as frequent flier there, what we'll be having:

"I'll have the soup, lad here will have the toast and mushrooms, and what'll you have CER?"

"Think I'll have the soup as well. But first, a question, relly."

"Yes?"

"See here the soup here on the lunch menu is five euro fifty and listed as served with toast?"

"Yes, that's right. We bake the wholemeal brown bread here each morning, and the soup comes with two freshly-toasted slices".

"Ok, but I see on page four of the menu, you have two slices of wholemeal toast down at three euro?"

"Yep, that's right. Toast and butter. Same bread. You should like it.".

"Grand, I'll have the soup without the toast and I'll pay you two euro fifty".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭antimatterx

I hope the response was "That's not how it works" 😂

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

a few years back, my parents in law put up a nephew of my FIL who was moving from NZ (with his wife) to ireland, for six weeks, while they got themselves soted for accomodation and at least one job. even after they sorted themselves with an apartment, they called around to my in laws to use the phone for several weeks (while they sorted their own phone line) to ring home. they eventually got a thank you present; a posh bar of soap in a tiny wicker basket.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

And your parents bought all the other food and prepared the meal yesterday for you all??!

I hope you all shamed your brother on the spot!

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭sbs2010

Parents own fault for raising such a stingebag

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

i fitted something in a couples house a few weeks ago. kind of identifying so i wont say. i colected in with my van day due to its awkward size. it was 250 in the semi local shop. dropped it off that evening and told them i would be there the next day to fit it.

turned up to be told that they went online and found one cheaper in naas or somewhere like that 1 hr away with a trailer . no problem i will return this one . told her there will be a restocking fee probably etc . i was being paid by the hour anyway so i naturally included the returning time on the bill. in the end they saved 8 euro not including the 2 hour drive to get the other one and the fuel . madness

• Advertisement

Its a wonder he didn't add on the diesel cost. He must be such a disappointment to your parents, he is no son. Yes he is well educated but I would rather an uneducated son who would treat his parents not look for 79 cent from them for carrots he was going to eat himself.

Advertisement