Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭bewareofthedog

I was driven home by a chap I worked with on the Friday, it was a one off because my contract was already up and I was doing him a favour doing extra days since they were short of staff. He made a stop at the super market cause he said friends were visiting and needed to stock up on drink.

Wait in the car anyway and he comes back and shows me the 6 Smithwicks he got for himself then with a big proud smirk on his face shows me another bag with super market branded cheapo beer for his visitors. It was like it was an achievement for him for something.

Never liked him and always thought he was a snide fecker, that just confirmed it.

A lad who owned a farm and was really well off used to visit our house to watch TV and have a can with my Dad once or twice or a week. He'd have a new car every second month, some old banger on it's last legs because he didn't want to splash out on something more expensive.

He never brought a thing for xmas when we were kids and he'd only bring the can for himself and only after there was a falling out over it did he bring drinks for anyone else, that didn't last long though before he was back to his old ways.

The local paper comes out on a Wednesday and he'd always visit those nights to read it and often bring it off with him when he was going home. The auld lad ( rest his soul ) should have told him to feck off for good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

He arrived with a single can every time??

In his eyes he was a great fella for bringing it and saving your dad having to provide. The mind of a stinge

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

Well, isn't it lucky my dad didn't take this attitude and turf her out?

Ah no, because he'd be vilified by the daily rags as a monster landlord destroying a small business.

Doing his wife's and daughter's nails would have been a nice token gesture. He never even got a verbal thanks or a card or letter of gratitude for the free rent.

your dad could have thrown her out but he wouldn't have rented the property out any time soon. it made sense to stick with the tenant he had - who is now up and running and paying rent.

There are stinges in this story but it isn't the business owner / tenant,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

paw patrol wrote: »
    your dad could have thrown her out but he wouldn't have rented the property out any time soon. it made sense to stick with the tenant he had - who is now up and running and paying rent.

There are stinges in this story but it isn't the business owner / tenant,

Jesus we are still having to listen to this instead of actual stinge stories! :confused:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,768 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

i learned my stinge lesson. i didnt want to pay 2 euro cloakroom nightclub fee so i handed in my coat as a lost coat. come 3am go to pick up my coat by explaining i had lost my coat and if someone handed it in. told that i couldnt and given a number to ring. number rang out during the week. came back a couple of weeks later early in the night to see if they would be more amenable to me looking for my coat. never got it back, but still save the 2 euro.

I worked in a nightclub years ago and any cloakroom items unclaimed after a week or so were put in a bag and staff were allowed to help themselves. Any leftovers were sent to charity. I took the odd jacket if it was pissing rain and I'd forgotten my own but I know some who filled half their wardrobe with the freebies. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Snails pace

Yyhhuuu wrote: »
    My friend who is very well off with a few properties rented out ( no mortgages mind you) including her own home and the granny flat. So not short of a few Bob. Mad for money but tight as a ducks arse. Her cat was knocked down by a car. She rang the DSPCA to say a STRAY cat was knocked down. They came out and took it to the vet and paid large vets bill. She then phoned them up to "adopt" her cat back.

I thought it was a masterstroke in stinge!

That was quick thinking out of her

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭AlphabetCards

Cork Lass wrote: »
    I work late evenings, and I look in the vending machines when I'm hungry for a bit of chocolate. I only ever put the money in when it looks like they have packed it badly, and that I'll get two for one. Had a great one last week, two twirls and two small bags of haribo. Bring the stinge hate!

Thats not stinge - that's theft.

lol, do you reckon?

Katgurl wrote: »
    He let her off one or two month's rent (so probably one) not a few. He didn't do this out of kindness, he did it because it made business sense. His losses would have been far greater getting a new tenant in not to mention the reputation he would have earned. Giving a freebie would be a terrible idea to such self entitled muppets, they'd be dropping in forever to take advantage.

You and I have no idea how much free rent they got.

I think I'll have to reconsider how charitable I am in future tbh, if this is the prevailing opinion. It's nice to be nice, but for people to treat charity in such a cold and transactional way leaves me feeling a bit empty. To have a kind gesture like that ignored would leave me feeling ill at ease.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

I think I'll have to reconsider how charitable I am in future tbh, if this is the prevailing opinion. It's nice to be nice, but for people to treat charity in such a cold and transactional way leaves me feeling a bit empty. To have a kind gesture like that ignored would leave me feeling ill at ease.

It was not charity, it was business!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

It was not charity, it was business!

Your forgetting the third option. Do nothing and stay collecting the money.
    The land lord is stingy wanting a freebie but the tenant is ungrateful as well. A thank you wouldn't go amiss

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭OhHiMark

That seems like you don't give to charity to help people, you do it so that they'll be grateful to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

OhHiMark wrote: »
    That seems like you don't give to charity to help people, you do it so that they'll be grateful to you.

Just like the type who live streams themselves handing a homeless person a coffee or a sandwich, I mean - did you even do a good deed if you don't show it to the world for social media kudos?

OhHiMark wrote: »

I like to be selective in who I give my charity to. Why give anything to the ungrateful, when I can give it to someone who might acknowledge the kindness somehow, with even a nice card?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,165 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

You need to get a grip. The man who owns ‘a few’ units on a main street wasn’t being charitable. He was be a good businessman. He now has a full paying tenant (remember he was getting paid most months when the operator literally could not open)

It’s his wife and daughter that feel aggrieved because they didn’t get their nails done for free. Clearly wealthy people looking for handouts from struggling businesses and its them you feel sorry for?

Just like the type who live streams themselves handing a homeless person a coffee or a sandwich, I mean - did you even do a good deed if you don't show it to the world for social media kudos?

Two very, very different issues here. Expecting some sort of acknowledgement from someone you helped out is very different to live blogging handing free stuff to the homeless. Lets not be facetious here.

Two very, very different issues here. Expecting some sort of acknowledgement from someone you helped out is very different to live blogging handing free stuff to the homeless. Lets not be facetious here.

Well, you didn't really help them then if you're expecting a quid pro quo did you? :pac:

I don't need to be facetious, you're making an egit of yourself all by yourself :pac:

Not really, I know that if someone was kind enough to help me out like that, I'd make some effort to thank them. It seems not many people here feel the same. Good to know!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

Not really, I know that if someone was kind enough to help me out like that, I'd make some effort to thank them. It seems not many people here feel the same. Good to know!

How many generations of their family would you feel obliged to thank?

Should your great grandkids still be offering free services to their great grandkids to show your deep familial gratitude as well?

I agree with you, it's very nice to both thank, and be thanked when someone gives you a dig out - but don't you see where everyone else is coming from regarding your posts -

You openly state that you help people out with the expectation of getting something in return rather than just helping them out and then being happy if there's a thank you/ something in return, but not to be put out if there isn't - as you were being charitable.

If you're treating charity as a transaction, it's not charity

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

I like to be selective in who I give my charity to. Why give anything to the ungrateful, when I can give it to someone who might acknowledge the kindness somehow, with even a nice card?

Who say anyone was ungrateful? It wasn't the landlord who went into the shop. It was his relations who were trying to guilt a struggling businesswoman into giving a freebie. If I was the landlord I would not expect a tenant to be thanking my relations for anything I might have done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭OhHiMark

Sure it would be nice to help the starving, but if they can't even afford a card what's the point?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,284 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Let's move on from the manicure post please, it was 2 days ago

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Back when people used code words to save on the number of words used in telegram messages.

In 1887 a wool dealer named Frank Primrose send a coded telegraph message to his agent saying he had purchased 500,000 pounds of wool. "I Have Bought" was the code word BAY. The fumble-fingered telegrapher accidentally sent the words BUY, which means (surprise surprise) "buy". Morse for "A" is dot-dash, while "U" is dot-dot-dash. Very easy to make a mistake. The agent got the incorrect message and duly purchased 500,000 pounds of wool. Primrose lost $20,000 (about $270,000 in 2010 dollars).

He sued the telegraph company, but unfortunately he had failed to pay the two cents extra for the message to be verified.

So the court awarded him a refund of $1.15, the cost of the message.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭antimatterx

My younger brother is an awful stinge when it comes to buying stuff you need for living. For example, he hacks that are about to rip, you can see his foot in them, he won't buy new ones for himself. What he has started to do is wear mine (I bought a lot of good socks about a year back). I've asked him to stop, he keeps taking them from the dryer. When I suggested that he should buy his own, the response I got was "That would be a waste of money"

He also wont buy thing for the house. He's quite happy to eat any food I buy for myself, or he shouts at people for finishing something. If I have the last of the Milk or something he tries-to fight with me because "that was for him". You're 22, and not contributing anything mate, it's not for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Tilden Katz

My younger brother is an awful stinge when it comes to buying stuff you need for living. For example, he hacks that are about to rip, you can see his foot in them, he won't buy new ones for himself. What he has started to do is wear mine (I bought a lot of good socks about a year back). I've asked him to stop, he keeps taking them from the dryer. When I suggested that he should buy his own, the response I got was "That would be a waste of money"

He also wont buy thing for the house. He's quite happy to eat any food I buy for myself, or he shouts at people for finishing something. If I have the last of the Milk or something he tries-to fight with me because "that was for him". You're 22, and not contributing anything mate, it's not for you.

You need to put your foot down there. Habitually taking your socks is unacceptable. Like, I’ve lent socks to people who are stuck for some reason but that’s it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

I hope it's on his feet he's wearing the socks not not using them as wa...you get the idea!

Maybe you're the stingy one for not changing the friggin' locks on the front door!

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭denashpot

I'm on page 270 from the first thread. Some of the stories are unbelievable. Worse one so far has got to be the sick in the snackbox and someone still eats it. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,835 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Not sure if this is stinge or just a greedy or poor kid.

When we were in secondary school, the local youthclub which was located half way between two schools used to serve lunches. It was essentially just our local chipper serving takeaway food for about half the normal price. The options were sausage and chips, or a junior box (chicken). The junior box was by far the most popular option, even though it was 50p dearer. There used to be one kid who came in and would buy the sausage and chips for £1.50 and then would proceed to go around sucking the bones of everyone else's chicken when they were finished. So when we were finished eating our chicken he would take the bones and clean every single tiny bit of chicken off them. He'd do this for maybe the bones of 6 or 7 people around him, even if he didn't know them. Definitely the weirdest thing I've seen anytime do

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭arctictree

Neighbour of mine put an ad on done deal selling small square bales of hay for 3 euro each. Normally people with horses would ring up and buy maybe 20 bales or so. Anyway, this lad rings up, says he wants to buy some and arranged to meet. My friend had to take some time off work to meet him. Yer man arrives down from Dublin in a new BMW. Then says he only wants half a bale for €1.50 and would my friend mind cutting one in half. It's for his guinea pig!

Advertisement