Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

ive an uncle in Canada who is quite successful as hes had his own construction company since the seventies , i remember around twenty years ago him and his wife and two of his kids spent twelve weeks in ireland , both of them got jobs for about eight weeks of the holiday , he worked with his nephew who is a builder and she worked in a hospital as she was a registered nurse prior to moving to Canada with him circa 1974

both would hang tea bags on a clothes line despite having a NET worth well in excess of two million

they absolutely would crawl over broken glass for an extra tenner , they are perfectly matched and get on famously , both are insufferable even without the meanness

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Like a lot of people, I've been working from home for the last year. I have a desk set up in one of the bedrooms at the front of the house. As a result, I've gone a little bit Cary Grant (Rear Window) looking out at the neighbours.

One thing that I've noticed over the last few weeks is that one of the neighbours, on green bin day, has been taking his next door neighbour's green bin and filling it with his own stuff. He has a different service provider so his bin is collected a couple of days later.

He brings the neighbours bin into his own garden and piece by piece he transfers his rubbish into his neighbour's bin. Bizarre stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Like a lot of people, I've been working from home for the last year. I have a desk set up in one of the bedrooms at the front of the house. As a result, I've gone a little bit Cary Grant (Rear Window) looking out at the neighbours.

One thing that I've noticed over the last few weeks is that one of the neighbours, on green bin day, has been taking his next door neighbour's green bin and filling it with his own stuff. He has a different service provider so his bin is collected a couple of days later.

He brings the neighbours bin into his own garden and piece by piece he transfers his rubbish into his neighbour's bin. Bizarre stuff.

Darren in Love/Hate kicked the **** out of someone for doing that. It'd be deserved, what a scab.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

Maybe he has an agreement with the neighbours? There is no charge for green waste collection (IIRC) but some families generate more green waste than others. We are a household with 5 adults. We generate a lot more green waste (empty cans, cardboard boxes etc) than our neighbour who lives alone. She is on a different schedule to us (different company) so she says that if our green bin is full to just use hers. It's not us being stingey, it's just saving a trip to the recycle centre on the weekend.

Stingey would be putting his black waste into the neighbours bin, which is charged by weight.

My contribution:
    I was walking the dog the other day and a man opened his backpack and emptied his household waste in to the park bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

There is a charge for our green bin. 1.20 or 1.50 per lift I think.

A couple of our neighbours have an agreement on bins too. 2 ladies living by themselves who don't have a lot of waste, and so they shares bins.

I've also seen people in my estate using the public bins for household waste. One day I was walking past and saw a woman leave her house and walk over to the public bin with one small wrapper, then walk back into her house!

• Advertisement

sullivlo wrote: »
    Maybe he has an agreement with the neighbours? There is no charge for green waste collection (IIRC) but some families generate more green waste than others. We are a household with 5 adults. We generate a lot more green waste (empty cans, cardboard boxes etc) than our neighbour who lives alone. She is on a different schedule to us (different company) so she says that if our green bin is full to just use hers. It's not us being stingey, it's just saving a trip to the recycle centre on the weekend.

Stingey would be putting his black waste into the neighbours bin, which is charged by weight.

My contribution:
    I was walking the dog the other day and a man opened his backpack and emptied his household waste in to the park bin.

That would be the logical thing alright that they have an agreement but I don't think they're on good terms due to parking issues, among other things. Plus, he always waits until the neighbour and his wife are at work before he does it. His wife came out with a big bag of recyclables as he was doing it, so it made me think that he's storing the stuff until bin day.

I'd have no problem with neighbours using my bins like this if there was space. Although my green bin is always full on collection day.

The thing that really shocked me when he was rummaging through his own bin was the amount of items that weren't recyclable. He even picked out a used blue surgical mask!!! :eek::eek:

Re your story about the park bins. The council have removed public bins from around the area because people were putting household rubbish into them. At first they narrowed the opening openings so people couldn't put bags into it. Then people just left the bags beside the bins. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Our neighbours do that with our bins. They mind a load of kids there and a couple of times a day, come over to ours to dump all their nappies. Even worse, they put the manky nappies in our green recycling bins.

I've never bothered to say anything coz our bins are included in the rent. Probably should. Meh.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Its free lifts for green bins where we are- and some people put a lot of effort into recycling, while some others don't. I don't understand why its considered stingy/not stingy- its just economical- recycle where possible- and if necessary- use a different bin. Whats the issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,972 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Its free lifts for green bins where we are- and some people put a lot of effort into recycling, while some others don't. I don't understand why its considered stingy/not stingy- its just economical- recycle where possible- and if necessary- use a different bin. Whats the issue?

The issue is using someone elses green bin when they don't know about it or what you are putting in... or what their payment plan \ weight limit is.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Our neighbours do that with our bins. They mind a load of kids there and a couple of times a day, come over to ours to dump all their nappies. Even worse, they put the manky nappies in our green recycling bins.

I've never bothered to say anything coz our bins are included in the rent. Probably should. Meh.

You will end up getting the fine or company may even stop collection....

That's crazy carry on especially putting in with recycling, some poor poor soul has to sort through that paid feck all too.....

Definitely be putting a stop to that.

• Advertisement

You will end up getting the fine or company may even stop collection....

That's crazy carry on especially putting in with recycling, some poor poor soul has to sort through that paid feck all too.....

Definitely be putting a stop to that.

At the very least I’d put a lock on the bin. Disgusting behaviour putting nappies into a green bin. It contaminates a truck.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The Swiss have just made the worlds smallest coin. It's nearly 3mm in diameter.
    The miniature coin, with a face value of a quarter of a Swiss franc (27 US cents, 23 euro cents), measures just 2.96 millimetres (0.1 inches) in diameter and weighs only 0.063 grammes (0.002 ounces).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

The Swiss have just made the worlds smallest coin. It's nearly 3mm in diameter.

That's not stingy - it's a commemorative coin. And it's pure gold.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Its Jimmy Stewart....not Cary Grant....

Very disappointed that no one has pulled you up on that sooner...

The people of boards are slipping

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

Its Jimmy Stewart....not Cary Grant....

Very disappointed that no one has pulled you up on that sooner...

The people of boards are slipping

You are right. :/

Don’t know how I got that wrong as I’ve seen it so many times.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,953 ✭✭✭Degag

Friend of mine is quite well off. Probably doesn't need to work again if he didn't want to.

He scabs Netflix off his brother-in-law who is a student. And is kinda proud of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Yyhhuuu

sullivlo wrote: »

My contribution:

I know of a multi-millionaire who puts his refuse in to the street bins. I just don't understand why somebody with his wealth,which is old money, does that. He is quite a nice gentleman to speak to and dresses well and keeps himself well and is not very old but has the name of being extremely frugal with money.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

This doesn't qualify as particularly cheap, just a bit sh*tty.

Moved to Galway in my early 20s and didn't know many people down there, apart from a guy I would have been good mates with in college in Athlone. Anywho, I remember chatting to him one Saturday afternoon to see if he was interested in a night out in town and he said "sound, call up to the house and we'll have a few cans here first". When I got there, he was sitting on the couch in a pair of trackies and a United shirt, looking like he had no intentions of leaving the house.

After a while, it was hitting towards 9.30pm and I was getting itchy feet, so I asked him if he was going to get ready, to which he replied he had no money for going out. Mad for town, I offered him a loan of €50 that he could give me back after a few weeks, no biggie (I know, my own fault, he knew what he was at). I asked him for it back 3 or 4 times over the next couple of months, before giving up the ghost. That was in 2007. About a year later, one week I was particularly skint and decided to ask for it back again, but he just sort of laughed at me. I think he felt like he had sort of gotten one over on me. He would take satisfaction in that sort of thing. I gave up after that and stopped bothering to keep contact with him.

TL;DR: loaned one of the lads fifty quid to come on the piss 14 years ago, he never paid it back and probably thinks he's a great lad because of it. It was a sh*te night too.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭SVI40

They mind a load of kids there and a couple of times a day, come over to ours to dump all their nappies. Even worse, they put the manky nappies in our green recycling bins.

Doing this contaminates not just the bin, but the whole recycling truck, and that load get dumped into landfill. Defeats the whole purpose of recycling

• Registered Users Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

FFS Less bins, more stinge!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

SVI40 wrote: »
    Doing this contaminates not just the bin, but the whole recycling truck, and that load get dumped into landfill. Defeats the whole purpose of recycling
    Scummy behaviour. All the effort that the people in the OPs area are putting into recycling is being wiped out by one thoughtless twerp :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,393 ✭✭✭KevRossi

SVI40 wrote: »

It doesn't contaminate the whole truck. A portion of it is dumped, but by no means all of it or anywhere near all of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

That's disgusting. There are people who have to sift through all that on a conveyor belt to sort out non recyclables from recyclables.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭AlphabetCards

TL;DR: loaned one of the lads fifty quid to come on the piss 14 years ago, he never paid it back and probably thinks he's a great lad because of it. It was a sh*te night too.

I'd consider that a cheap lesson tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Mimon

Have a very wealthy uncle, definitely has assets worth 10 million plus. At weddings I've seen him with a naggin of whiskey under the table topping up his drink. Would kill him to drink all night at pub prices :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Mimon

Antares35 wrote: »
    That's disgusting. There are people who have to sift through all that on a conveyor belt to sort out non recyclables from recyclables.

Yeh, I'd be concerned that the collection company would blacklist for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

This doesn't qualify as particularly cheap, just a bit sh*tty.

Moved to Galway in my early 20s and didn't know many people down there, apart from a guy I would have been good mates with in college in Athlone. Anywho, I remember chatting to him one Saturday afternoon to see if he was interested in a night out in town and he said "sound, call up to the house and we'll have a few cans here first". When I got there, he was sitting on the couch in a pair of trackies and a United shirt, looking like he had no intentions of leaving the house.

After a while, it was hitting towards 9.30pm and I was getting itchy feet, so I asked him if he was going to get ready, to which he replied he had no money for going out. Mad for town, I offered him a loan of €50 that he could give me back after a few weeks, no biggie (I know, my own fault, he knew what he was at). I asked him for it back 3 or 4 times over the next couple of months, before giving up the ghost. That was in 2007. About a year later, one week I was particularly skint and decided to ask for it back again, but he just sort of laughed at me. I think he felt like he had sort of gotten one over on me. He would take satisfaction in that sort of thing. I gave up after that and stopped bothering to keep contact with him.

Tbh I don't really see the stinge here. Chap had no money and wasn't really pushed on going out but you wanted to.
    You should have offered him the 50 to get himself a few drinks rather than "loaning" it to him so you could have your night out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

^^^
    I think it’s gonna kick off down at the surgery��

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

eisenberg1 wrote: »
    ^^^
    I think it’s gonna kick off down at the surgery��

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Tbh I don't really see the stinge here. Chap had no money and wasn't really pushed on going out but you wanted to.
    You should have offered him the 50 to get himself a few drinks rather than "loaning" it to him so you could have your night out.

Well hello Gary, long time no chat

Advertisement