Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,942 ✭✭✭pgj2015

some little scumbag barman gave me the change of a tenner when I gave him a 20 in a nightclub one time. when I pulled him up on it he got the "manager" to do up the till and said I made a mistake. I was thinking about reporting it to the club owner but I kind of thought at the time that the staff reflect what the owner is like. I probably should have reported him though, the scumbag.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Our local was run by 2 brothers.

Both of them were notorious for short changing people once the night pushed on.

They were narky by nature so even a sober person questioning the change got a grumpy answer and the rest of their change thrown at them.

One of their sons is working there years. If one of the old fellas short changed you, give him a nod, show what was on your hand. Would even need a sentence and he'd sort it out.

No idea why people frequent the place. It is a landmark. About all that's going for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

pgj2015 wrote: »
    some little scumbag barman gave me the change of a tenner when I gave him a 20 in a nightclub one time. when I pulled him up on it he got the "manager" to do up the till and said I made a mistake. I was thinking about reporting it to the club owner but I kind of thought at the time that the staff reflect what the owner is like. I probably should have reported him though, the scumbag.
    That was very very common when we used to have nightclubs around the country. The amount of times they got away with it would have likely well outweighed the amount of times they were called up on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

And then it theres’s the inverse logic of this. Bring in your own gin and tonic and pocket the takings from the sales of said gin and tonic. Don’t ring it into the till. The stock is as is. You’ve just sold from your own stash. There’s about 28 gins to a litre bottle of gin in Ireland. Let’s just say a bottle of gin costs €28 and a tonic costs €1. So that’s €2 per gin and tonic. If you’re selling it for €7, that’s €5 in your sky rocket per drink. €140 a bottle.

I saw this being done in the U.S. but with kegs of beer. The guy was literally bringing his own leg. He was also paying somebody to cover a couple of hours of his shift so that he could Uber/limo drive!

Thats how bars in upstate New York work as payment for the bartender, he/she gets to bring a bottle in and their mates "buy" it.

They get €50 for the shift and whatever is sold from their bottle, the bar makes money from them buying other **** on an otherwise empty night.

Strange practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

We're getting away from stinginess into dodgy practice territory.

30 years ago I worked for the "landlord" of an English pub. At the time the rent was determined by the amount of barrels you bought from the brewery. Part of my job was to go to an independent supplier every Thursday and come back with 10 kegs of Fosters and Carlsberg. They were tapped around 4 o clock on Friday and the brewery kegs were retapped on Monday morning. All untapped kegs were kept in the "Spirit room" in case anyone from the brewery arrived to do an audit with a barcode scanner. New technology at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,974 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

sligojoek wrote: »
    We're getting away from stinginess into dodgy practice territory.

30 years ago I worked for the "landlord" of an English pub. At the time the rent was determined by the amount of barrels you bought from the brewery. Part of my job was to go to an independent supplier every Thursday and come back with 10 kegs of Fosters and Carlsberg. They were tapped around 4 o clock on Friday and the brewery kegs were retapped on Monday morning. All untapped kegs were kept in the "Spirit room" in case anyone from the brewery arrived to do an audit with a barcode scanner. New technology at the time.

I’ve missed the dodge or stinge in this story.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

I’ve missed the dodge or stinge in this story.

He sold 10 barrels of Fosters and Carlsberg over the weekend that the brewery didn't know about. Therefore he paid less rent.

It's not rocket science.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Very clever yes. The owner might start to wonder why the sales of gin are way down every night that Timmy is working though.
    A lot of people have been caught out by the boss having secret cameras installed in the bar and over the till.

It’s incredible that this is still happening. Most premises have cameras and security systems. But you need somebody checking these. Somebody with an eye for dodgy practices. This isn’t always present. Golf and Rugby clubs would be targets for unscrupulous types including stinges who’d bring in their own stock

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭a very cool kid

theguzman wrote: »
    This year I gave no presents to my parents or sister, nothing not even a card, the first time I ever did that. I don't see the point of buying needless absolute rubbish and I do not believe in Gift Cards. I told them I will buy them something they really need or pay a bill for them instead. I am really appalled at the amount of rubbish they all have. My sister has probably 50+ pairs of shoes, same with handbags, actually every rubbish item of clothing you imagine and she has it times 50. I decided not to support the Penny's rubbish lemmings etc.

I also spent until Dec 10th in quarantine and since it never stopped raining here since then I couldn't be bothered and with brexit and parcel motel gone etc. I decided not to bother with online and I wouldn't support Irish retail purposely by choice.

Am I stingy? No but I won't buy sh!te for senseless consumerism, e.g. I could have lavished €100 on thrash like cosmetics and a handbag or a spa voucher for my sister, she has a €1,500 car repair bill hanging over her so I'll help her pay the garage instead. My mother got a medical bill for €900 i'll help her pay that instead of buying her another trashy Cecila Ahern Novel and some crap from Penny's, my father has loads of clothes but wears the same 4-5 pieces until either they are threadbare or they mysteriously disappears in the laundry and my mum dumps them. I'll help him fill the oil tank next month instead of buying unwanted rubbish.

Would you not just give them the cash and save the lecture?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,974 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Would you not just give them the cash and save the lecture?

I’m pretty sure the lecture is part of the whole thing. Increases the chances they will say “ah, Christmas has been and gone, leave it so. No need for a gift, I’ll pay my own bills, thanks”.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 957 ✭✭✭80j2lc5y7u6qs9

The stinge has a sad miserable life. i knew someone like that. We went to a launch of an artists book of poetry. He did not buy the book but in a couple of weeks asked me could he borrow it. I said i had given it to someone else.i hadn't but i woud not give it to him. he only went to the launch for the free eats

I still see him around in rags, too mean to buy clothes since he left the job where they got clothes vouchers. he used to walk around by pubs early Sunday mornings looking for money people dropped when drunk and sometimes finding it.

There is something wrong with people like that .I think related to obsessions and anal type personalities..The best one i have seen here is the guy who ate his housemates dinner from the bin and once found a burger in phone box and took it home and ate it

I knew a male nurse like that too. Would not buy food. Always went to his parents house to eat and ate them out of house and home as was said to me

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Mod

Can we drop the teacher salary bashing. Bring it somewhere else to discuss.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Mimon

Local butcher who we went to for years was seen by the mother putting cuts of normal beef and fat into the mincer along with the steak.

She had asked for round steak only minced. She said nothing but stopped going there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Mimon

Was in hospital for a couple of weeks when I was 9/10. Had loads of visitors and they all brought tons of sweets. Was really looking forward to being able to eat them when I was better.

Hungry cousins visit on the day before I was getting out and proceed to munch their way through most of them. Reserve the right to have a gripe about this until my dying day :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,780 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Mimon wrote: »
    Local butcher who we went to for years was seen by the mother putting cuts of normal beef and fat into the mincer along with the steak.

She had asked for round steak only minced. She said nothing but stopped going there.

Define normal beef and steak.

Round steak does have fat on it.
    Mince with no fat is really not very tasty.
    Round steak mince is tasteless dry crap, anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭Goose81

Mimon wrote: »

Your mother realises steak mince has added fat doesn't she ..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,780 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

After having cocktails, Mrs Beer has taken to rinsing the ice cubes and putting them back in the freezer!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

After having cocktails, Mrs Beer has taken to rinsing the ice cubes and putting them back in the freezer!
    It might be fair to let that one slide and blame it on the effects of said cocktails:P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

Those dirty tricks go on in lots of bars.
    I read a book years ago about some world famous, expensive old hotel in London. Written anonymously by an ex-employee about all the stunts they pulled.
    One trick was to keep a small dish of each spirit under the bar. If a punter was well away and on g and t's for eg, he would dip the glass in the gin and then fill it with tonic. The tipsy punter would taste the gin on the lip of the glass and not suspect anything.
    Then the barman could either trouser the money for those drinks or keep a tally of how many he had sold. When he had sold a bottle worth of 'gin', he could go to the storeroom and swipe a full bottle which wouldn't be missed in the stocktake.

Another trick that was always done in a pub in my area was that if Heineken or one o the other expensive beers 'ran out' the amstel or the tuborg would be hooked up instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭snoopy84

galway_lad wrote:
    I think it's easy to get mixed up with nationalities and stereotypes and limited exposure. Last Feb was out for a working lunch/pint-session with some Dutch visitors. Round one in, fine. I went up for the next. Since it was expensed and all that, and I was going to the jacks I didn't even blink to ask if people wanted another. Of course they did. I land back with the drinks, one of the Dutch lads says he's ok (with the little bit he had left) so quickly grabs the glass brings it to the bar and looks for a refund! There was a bit of agro and they fobbed him off with a couple of quid, which he then pocketed!

Oh dear God! The poor bar staff. How do you deal with a request like that?

• Advertisement

galway_lad wrote:
    I think it's easy to get mixed up with nationalities and stereotypes and limited exposure. Last Feb was out for a working lunch/pint-session with some Dutch visitors. Round one in, fine. I went up for the next. Since it was expensed and all that, and I was going to the jacks I didn't even blink to ask if people wanted another. Of course they did. I land back with the drinks, one of the Dutch lads says he's ok (with the little bit he had left) so quickly grabs the glass brings it to the bar and looks for a refund! There was a bit of agro and they fobbed him off with a couple of quid, which he then pocketed!

Oh dear God! The poor bar staff. How do you deal with a request like that?

Quazzie wrote:
    That's because funerals in the UK can be up to 2 months after the death. most people are well into their grieving period at this stage, and the funeral itself can almost be a nuisance. The Irish dead and buried in 3 days normality is actually great for the grieving process as it forces people to confront it straight on, and often serves as a vital distraction for the people closest to the deceased.

I have to disagree here while I do think the wait time to bury/cremate in the uk is painfully long, I think we bury far to quick. I think we have our dead buried before we even realize what's happened, then as we're coming to terms with it everyone has gone, stopped visiting and sympathising and your all alone. We barely give people time to come home, and the people who do make it did so at huge last minute expenses. When my uncle died in the uk we were able to book a week off work and not pay stupid last minute prices for the flights.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Wife's granny uses tea bags twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,806 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

If she likes weak tea, then fair enough.
    I've noticed the more country you get, away from the traditional port cities, the more weak the tea is.
    Probably dates back to when tea was relatively expensive and people were poorer.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭chewed

I sometimes use the same tea bag for 2 separate cups of tea. Is that stingy?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

chewed wrote: »
    I sometimes use the same tea bag for 2 separate cups of tea. Is that stingy?

Depends- how do you like your tea? I use two teabags to make a mug of tea- I like nice strong tea, I wouldn't dream of reusing teabags, but more so because I like my tea very strong, than as a money saving measure.

Think this one comes under different strokes for different folks heading.........

• Registered Users Posts: 4,393 ✭✭✭KevRossi

I still use tea leaves. But when I was a child there was an old man living down the road from us, he used to take the used tea leaves, spread them out on a metal tray and put them in the bottom of the range to dry out and reuse. Not out of stinge, he was a poor farmer who lived off the pension and selling a couple of bullocks each year. I got thinking about him a while ago, and we decided to try this a few weeks ago.

Results:

First cup: as per normal, then dry them out
    Second Cup: fine, if you put about 20% more leaves in it's the same
    Third Cup: If you near double the leaves then it's genuinely indistinguishable from the first cup.

You can certainly do the same with coffee grinds, works even better. I knew a couple of elderly people in Germany in the 90's who used to do it. The habit came from rationing during and after the war.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Every time I see this I wonder are they talking about 1 cup or 2 cup tea bags....

0000383_barrys-gold-blend-2-cup_550.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Every time I see this I wonder are they talking about 1 cup or 2 cup tea bags....

0000383_barrys-gold-blend-2-cup_550.jpeg

Didn't know they had that.
    This is one of many things though. Wouldn't call her stingy though, more frugal. Didn't grow up with a lot so has to make a few quid go a little further.
    Such as buying christmas deccies in january when the price is slashed or halloween stuff on Nov 1st.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,722 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

This family is pretty stingy but holy ****. These people are here to protect you.

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1349766994560630784?s=20

Advertisement