Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model S

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,056 ✭✭✭✭unkel

BobbyBingo wrote: »
    I got caught short on a trip down the N3 late one night in 2019. I did the last 20kms on 0% (with everything clenched). Never was I so grateful to see a free ESB charger in Blanch in all my life..

20km on 0% :eek:

Now that's pushing it! But yeah it kinda proves my point. Wouldn't like to try that myself though :o:D

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭BobbyBingo

unkel wrote: »
    20km on 0% :eek:

Now that's pushing it! But yeah it kinda proves my point. Wouldn't like to try that myself though :o:D

Never happened before and will never happy again! Unfortunate is one word, idiotic, another!

Good thing that there are 23kW charge points everywhere. And none of them are ever in use these days. Half an hour on one of those gives us 50km range. A good bit more if you take it handy

• Registered Users Posts: 21,639 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

slave1 wrote: »
    There's two ports in our generation Tesla, the one visible to us is pure US compliance which states there must be an OBD within two feet of the steering wheel, all it has is basic power and does not "talk" to the car.

The hidden one is the one you'll need for likes of scanmytesla and it's not standard OBD2 size, it's a specific 12 pin connector Tesla CAN Diagnostic harness.
    Because of this you need to buy a converter (I've one ordered from Aliexpress) and also locate this second hidden port, for me it's below the MCU screen.

I'll let ye know how I get on when I get my hands on it.

PS Another way to estimate range is to simply see your SOC before a long charging session (or Supercharge) and then note your SOC after charging, this make extrapolation of available battery capacity easy, make sure no AC on for this session.
    In my case, 8% in 5 year old, v happy with that as our generation cars do not have as severe early years degradation as the 3's and also taper off quite quickly so I'd say we're looking at 1% a year....time will tell
    Indeed. TeslaBjorn has a video on how to connect to the older car OBD port, the real one.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Smck1983

If anyone is looking for an older ODB connector I have a spare that I ordered by mistake. My car is a 2015 one and thought it was the old connector but was wrong and had to order the new connector instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

OK, so a glaring error declaring a 2012 car to be 13 years old......but apart from that :D. Maybe they set it to premier in 2025 :pac:.

Anyway.......a very early Model S - mild steel bolts showing significant rust on the battery pack top cover & possible water ingress......not great design.
    I wonder would that even warrant preventative maintainance - battery removal & modification to prevent long term damage. It's a €20k repair after all, should the battery fail out of warranty & that 8 year warranty will be ending soon for a fair few early Model S owners.

He says this is only a problem in the very early cars, like the above 2012 car. Later cars have a gasket preventing any water ingress (so rust). He doesn't state when the car got this updated gasket. The earliest Tesla Model S in the UK and Ireland are all 2014. I'd say it's safe to say that any car with a battery that was replaced in the last few years does have this later gasket. So this would not be an issue.
    Kramer wrote: »
    It's a €20k repair after all, should the battery fail out of warranty

Not really. Nobody is going to bring their >8 year old Model S to Tesla to spend €20k on a battery refurb.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Not really. Nobody is going to bring their >8 year old Model S to Tesla to spend €20k on a battery refurb.

I dunno, didn't someone here spend €6k recently for tyres & a few suspension bushings :P.

But yes, it'll be another while before we see out of warranty Model S here or the UK. Interesting nonetheless.

But yes, it'll be another while before we see out of warranty Model S here or the UK. Interesting nonetheless.

The Model S sold in Norway and the Netherlands (in quite strong numbers) much earlier than in the UK. Would be good if someone did a bit of research into how those early cars are faring now. My guess would be that pretty much every single 2012 / 2013 car would have had its battery replaced by now. For free.

Agreed though it's interesting. More so to see how the market here in Ireland reacts - what value will a Model S be when it is out of battery warranty? My prediction is that it won't drop by much. Particularly not for cars that have had a recent battery replacement. We'll know in about a years time, but already the early Model S in the USA (all out of battery warranty) are still quite strong money

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

OK, so a glaring error declaring a 2012 car to be 13 years old......but apart from that :D. Maybe they set it to premier in 2025 :pac:.

Anyway.......a very early Model S - mild steel bolts showing significant rust on the battery pack top cover & possible water ingress......not great design.
    I wonder would that even warrant preventative maintainance - battery removal & modification to prevent long term damage. It's a €20k repair after all, should the battery fail out of warranty & that 8 year warranty will be ending soon for a fair few early Model S owners.

Tesla told me it was a 14k bill for my P85 battery pack.

• Advertisement

I dunno, didn't someone here spend €6k recently for tyres & a few suspension bushings :P.

Nope. It was 3k for a,full suspension replacement and other bits and bobs.

No.
    2k of that was for MCU2.
    The remaining 4k was split between tires, suspension refresh, charge port actuator, usb port, new wiper assembly, and so on.

Look, we all know main dealers are expensive, you pay for that free coffee.
    But I was able to book in the app, work from their office with free coffee, and not have to explain "what is a tesla" on the phone to 3 monkeys before someoen would even book me in. Sometimes less hassle but more cost is worth the premium!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Quick question for you 2014-2015 era S owners, when you put the wipers in service mode what happens, mine just move an inch or two from where they normally rest and this does not seem right?

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

They are supposed to move to the middle of the windscreen and lift up, I think, never used it in mine but - as always - Bjorn had it in a video.

Quick question for you 2014-2015 era S owners, when you put the wipers in service mode what happens, mine just move an inch or two from where they normally rest and this does not seem right?

They move up along the window enough so that you can fold them on the hinge out past the bonnet to replace the blades.

Gumbo wrote: »
    They move up along the window enough so that you can fold them on the hinge out past the bonnet to replace the blades.

Yeah, I'd prefer ELM327 but I think this is the way is it with our era, mine barely come up, must have a look next time washing it

Yeah, I'd prefer ELM327 but I think this is the way is it with our era, mine barely come up, must have a look next time washing it

I’ll check again later. I have a 161 loaner so I’ll see what that does.

Car in for eMMC upgrade/recall today.
    In reality I most likely won’t see any difference as such.

Just another thing to tick of the list for sale time.

Nearly one month on.
    Car still in the SC with the dash stripped.

Part has not arrived following the initial wrong part arrival!

Getting annoyed with this S70 now, sorry S70 owners!

Jaysus that's pretty poor. I hope at least that S70 is not stuck in chill mode like some loaners are? Couldn't bear that myself for more than a day or two coming from a P model.

Jaysus that's pretty poor. I hope at least that S70 is not stuck in chill mode like some loaners are? Couldn't bear that myself for more than a day or two coming from a P model.

Not stuck in chill thankfully.
    When they gave me the MXP100DL I only had that for 2 days. Wish I had that now. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

Getting annoyed with this S70 now, sorry S70 owners!

Oy!

garo wrote: »
    Oy!

Sorry :)
    Absolutely nothing wrong with it. Nothing. It’s just that I have gotten use to the extra power, my sunroof and glass roof. Maybe I’m just love sick :D

We're spoilt Gumbo. I was the same when I had an S70 for a few days.

Getting the car back tomorrow afternoon.
    Feel like a kid on Christmas Eve :)

Getting the car back tomorrow afternoon.
    Feel like a kid on Christmas Eve :)

Well that excitement was short lived.
    Car is out back together but trouble getting the maps loaded…..anyone hear of this before?

It’s been escalated to Tesla remotely for diagnostic as it’s beyond the SC capabilities.

Hopefully just a glitch somewhere or maybe they’ve messed it up and will need to install MCU2 to fix it :p

That’s actually a MCU1 point of failure....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭BigAl81

Hi, I tried this today and I noticed if you have the auto wipers turned on on the indicator stalk, when you toggle 'wiper service mode' on the touchscreen, the wipers don't move.

If you turn the auto wipers off, then put wipers in service mode, they move up to 45 degrees and stay there (in my facelift 2016 Model S anyway).

In other news, I added some silver go faster pedals to my S :D

552903.jpg

That’s actually a MCU1 point of failure....

Serious?

Yup.

although MCU1 has many such failures!

• Advertisement

ELM327 wrote: »
    Yup.

although MCU1 has many such failures!

Ohh can you imagine :D

Advertisement