Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model S

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Kramer wrote: »
    I bet you're thanking the US NHTSA for forcing Tesla to replace these FOC ;).
    Hope it's sorted soon anyway.

Not sure who to thank but glad it’s getting sorted FOC

Car in for eMMC upgrade/recall today.
    In reality I most likely won’t see any difference as such.

Just another thing to tick of the list for sale time.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,239 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Exactly. I had mine done under warranty last year after having hardly even beginning signs of anything wrong with it, but just something I wanted ticked off the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,814 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

If I were intending on selling (as opposed to keeping it and getting the MCU2 upgrade) then the free emmc upgrade makes a lot more sense.

The fact that it's now a warranty item means however that it doesnt matter as much in a sale.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Gumbo wrote: »

You'll get LTE is about all, plus a potential headache avoided

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement

LTE is a separate upgrade on the earlier cars.
    If you have MCU0 as opposed to MCU1/2 then you'll have to pay for the lte upgrade, no?

Yes. You don't get LTE in the standard free (in or out of warranty) MCU1 fix.

Well all I know is my MCU (2015 S) was replaced 05.03.2020, Rear view camera jumper, MCU, bluetooth antenna, SIM card and NIFCO Trim clip were all replaced under the one job lot looking at paperwork.
    I've LTE as a result.

If your whole MCU was replaced then you would get one with LTE

Lucky bastard! In my case only the daughterboard was replaced, so I am stuck with 3G. Not that I'm complaining though, it is working perfectly fine for the free lifetime Spotify account, free lifetime premium connectivity with live update Google maps with satellite view, etc. :p

• Advertisement

That said I wouldn't have minded watching a spot of Netflix or Youtube on the 17" screen next time I'm charging somewhere or hiding from my crowded family home. What other old car has this except the Teslas?

unkel wrote: »
    That said I wouldn't have minded watching a spot of Netflix or Youtube on the 17" screen next time I'm charging somewhere or hiding from my crowded family home. What other old car has this except the Teslas?

You'd need to pay for MCU2 for that though, I have none of those things with LTE MCU1

I know. I guess the refresh on google maps would be a touch better with LTE and the web browser might actually become usable. If I had to spend a lot of time in the car doing lots of camping / long distance travelling, I would consider the €1,500 upgrade. But the €3k it was before is insane money in my financially tight eyes :p

slave1 wrote: »
    You'll get LTE is about all, plus a potential headache avoided

Already have the 4G/LTE in my car. Previous owner carried out that upgrade which can be done independently of the eMMC upgrade.

Already have the 4G/LTE in my car. Previous owner carried out that upgrade which can be done independently of the eMMC upgrade.

We must compare our cars to see what difference it makes. I believe apart from your LTE upgrade (and your larger wheels) our cars are technically identical?

We must compare our cars to see what difference it makes. I believe apart from your LTE upgrade (and your larger wheels) our cars are technically identical?

Very close Unkel. You have the premium sound which mine doesn’t.
    I don’t see a mega speed difference with the 4G but maybe I’d need to see it in the same location at the same time as a 3G equipped car.

Deffo need a little meet up at a SuC as I still have never used one :o

But mine is a + model which has the following mechanical differences according to a Tesla sales pitch!
    Performance Plus adds value to an already impressive handling vehicle by stiffening the suspension, tuning dampers and increasing lateral stiffness without sacrificing ride quality.

The Performance Plus suspension tune was developed with the driver in mind. Re-tuned dampers add a very comfortable, yet firm ride that help to transform the Model S into a driver’s car. The dampers work with an updated rear suspension, which boasts an array of new bushings that increase the lateral stiffness and help to spice up the back of the car without compromising comfort. And the steering response comes as a direct effect of the dampers and bushings, reducing the delay between the driver input and the vehicle response. This brings you more in tune to your Tesla, and the road beneath it. To tie your Model S Performance Plus to the road, the 21” wheels are wrapped in larger Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 tires on the rear, which helps the driver unleash what the Model S Performance Plus is truly capable of; precision handling that allows the driver to maintain a desired trajectory without any correction.

Stabilizer bars – In a typical “performance car”, large stabilizer bars can corrupt the steering and degrade the ride; but not in Model S Performance Plus. Thanks to our low center of gravity, we have increased the stabilizer bar size front and rear without the negative side effects, allowing greater body control and more predictable handling.
    Damping – Tesla’s philosophy on damping is to maintain good handling behavior with good control, while also adhering to a supple ride. The damping characteristics available on the Performance Plus help to bring feedback from the road to the driver to enhance your driving experience, but still manages to encompass road undulations with ease.
    Bushings – Tesla focused their attention on increasing lateral stiffness at the rear suspension to improve steering and overall vehicle response. This has been achieved by new and improved compliance characteristics throughout the suspension, thus allowing the springs and dampers to work more efficiently.
    Tires – Performance Plus sports new Michelin Pilot Sport 2 tires on a wider rear wheel, which allows its higher performance threshold to take advantage of the improved lateral stiffness of the car

.... and the web browser might actually become usable...

only way I can get it working is the two button reboot, it will work fine then....until it doesn't (then rinse, wash repeat....)

Another mess up in the SC.
    My car had the 4G Revision previously. The eMMC upgrade pack that arrived doesn’t work with this revision as they had trouble getting the firmware installed.

Now the old unit had to be replaced back into the car while the correct part is ordered.

Faulty Towers springs to mind :)

That's the problem when you have many different versions of the same part about. Because Tesla kept improving parts - this was only possible because it was all done in house instead of sourced from OEM suppliers. Honourable principle behind it, but somewhat naive from Tesla

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

Not naive. They were just too cheap to test their firmware. Or have compatibility matrices in their systems.

• Advertisement

They should just upgrade to MCU2 at this stage, MCU1 is so bad

garo wrote: »
    Not naive. They were just too cheap to test their firmware. Or have compatibility matrices in their systems.

Naive, unstructured, inexperienced in manufacturing. Whatever you want to call it. I doubt it had anything to do with being too cheap though. Not their style.

Another mess up in the SC.
    My car had the 4G Revision previously. The eMMC upgrade pack that arrived doesn’t work with this revision as they had trouble getting the firmware installed.

Now the old unit had to be replaced back into the car while the correct part is ordered.

Faulty Towers springs to mind :)

Tesla SC have serious inventory issues, even serviceable items are not kanban, everything has to be ordered from Netherlands via road freight, even the most basic items you would assume they inventory manage.
    Shame...

Yes, you'd expect them to have stock of the usual suspects like MCU1 daughter boards, door handles and the like. Not so much refurb / new battery packs.

Collecting a loan car at 3pm. No idea what it is.
    I’ll be the one thumbing a lift on the M50 if anyone sees me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭BigAl81

So I don't think we need a "what BigAl got next thread", but I'll post an update and a few pics here instead.

I picked up ELMs Model S 90D two days ago. I'm delighted with it and it's lovely car :D

To get a 'new to me' feel out of it, I got a full valet done and the car has also had a sex change from Severus to 'Tina The Head Turner' (Sorry Elm!!)

I had a 28 kWh Ioniq for 2 years, and traded that in for the 38 kWh Ioniq a few months ago. Now this week, I got rid of our ICE car for the Model S so we're a 2 EV household now.

I had rented a Model S for 3 days from the crowd in St Stephens Green before, so it's much the same and I would recommend anyone thinking of an S give that ago to check out size etc if that's any concern.

I'm surprised how well the 38 kWh Ioniq holds up in comparison to the S actually, it's a nice machine, though in fairness it's brand new.

The S is a lovely car, very comfortable with tonnes and tonnes of storage. Access to the Tesla charger network is a big one for me as I'm up north a lot. Having 16 superchargers just before the border is fantastic.

The big screen is great, and the games etc add to the fun. The sunroof is cool and summoning the car out of my drive with my phone is great craic too.

I got a software update for the car over the air automatically overnight. Such a change from scouring the internet for the latest version number and hounding the Hyundai garage to confirm they can apply it!

Looking forward to hopefully many years of happy motoring ahead so :)

Here's a few pics...

550332.jpg

550333.jpg

550334.jpg

550335.jpg

550336.jpg

God s/he looks lovely after the valet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

Well wear BigAl and welcome to the club. Nice to see Severus/Tina stay within the boards family.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

Love the name. Well wear.

• Advertisement

Well wear, looks great!
    BigAl81 wrote: »
    the car has also had a sex change

Did they have all the bits and boobs for that in stock in Sandyford?

Advertisement