Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model S

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,242 ✭✭✭sk8board

unkel wrote: »
    You don't seem to care, maybe that's because you are used to slow ICE cars and you've said a 0-60 time of 6s is all you ever need?

I certainly do care about performance. Always have done and always will. Back in the day that meant several of my family cars were V8 petrols.

I never mentioned myself - I mentioned mass market buyers.
    To traditional car buyers, a 4-6s car is faster than anything they’ll have ever owned.
    My point is simply that Tesla are doomed to be owned by folks who believe everyone else has made the wrong choice, because of a 0-60 time.
    Chill. We know your car is faster than ours, and that’s ok.
    Tesla drivers have become the new Audi drivers, who because the new Bmw drivers, who became etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 65,047 ✭✭✭✭unkel

sk8board wrote: »
    I never mentioned myself - I mentioned mass market buyers.
    To traditional car buyers, a 4-6s car is faster than anything they’ll have ever owned.

Mass market traditional car buyers are hardly going to buy a high end Tesla Model S. Or a Porsche Taycan. Not sure where you come up with these ideas / thoughts :p
    Tesla drivers have become the new Audi drivers, who because the new Bmw drivers, who became etc etc

Thanks for the sly dig BTW :rolleyes:

Can you not just accept that for some people (unlike yourself) performance is actually important?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

It’s only a paper stat though - golf club carpark top trumps. Outside that carpark no-one cares.
    Meanwhile everyone else will just buy the base Taycan and it’ll be the fastest car they’ve ever driven.

A better comparison would be the new €65k golf R versus a M3LR - similar range and acceleration, relatively speaking - but I’d have the Tesla 9 times out of 10.

As an aside, Tesla’s halo models are starting to really age, and we know that full replacement models will take them YEARS to deliver to market, so how long can they cling to 0-60times as a differentiator, when 0-60 times aren’t important to mass market buyers ….
    It reminds me of the original Godzilla GT-R fans, or more recently the mk1 golf R lads. The competition catches up pretty fast.

If that’s the case then, should you not compare the base model S with the base Taycan?

Plaid Event for anyone that may be interested.

Another video on the new Model S and how the stalkless interior works.

I like it a lot!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Well you know who will be a happy camper with leaving a lead acid 12v battery behind...

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-model-s-plaid-12v-lithium-ion-battery/

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

Me :D

I've been saying it for years. Lead acid batteries have no role in EVs, their use was ridiculous. Very glad to see Tesla is replacing them with a lithium battery. Once again Tesla is leading, hopefully the rest of the pack will follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭carloscorreia

Small preview of Jay Leno's quarter mile record with the Plaid

• Registered Users Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Gumbo wrote: »
    Another video on the new Model S and how the stalkless interior works.

I like it a lot!

I still can’t believe they’re shipping it with that yoke. The lack of stalks is bad enough, but that’s probably the stupidest thing I’ve seen on a car in years.

I still can’t believe they’re shipping it with that yoke. The lack of stalks is bad enough, but that’s probably the stupidest thing I’ve seen on a car in years.

AFAIK it’s an option. You can select the full wheel if you like.

But I suppose it’s a personal thing, a design or tech change that will become the norm. I remember buying my 2002 Honda Civic Type R some years ago. The first car of that generation to put the gear stick up on the dash and people laughed and said no way they’d drive it.

It became natural and IMO, one of the best places manual gear knobs out there to this day.

• Advertisement

Gumbo wrote: »
    I remember buying my 2002 Honda Civic Type R some years ago. The first car of that generation to put the gear stick up on the dash and people laughed and said no way they’d drive it.

It became natural and IMO, one of the best places manual gear knobs out there to this day.

Yep, makes a lot of sense particularly in a FWD drive car with a flat floor. Back when I was young plenty of other basic cars had the gear stick there BTW :D

hqdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Bonus points for anyone under the age of 40 who can guess what they are, without looking at the links :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

unkel wrote:
    Bonus points for anyone under the age of 40 who can guess what they are, without looking at the links biggrin.png
    what what are?

Chokes?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

Possibly. I am old enough that I didn't bat an eyelid when I saw them.

No I meant what cars they are :p

(that have the gear stick up on the dash like Gumbo mentioned)

Anyway they are the Renault R4 and Citroen 2CV

Small snipet of a Plaid MS on track.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,366 ✭✭✭✭ted1

slave1 wrote: »
    Chokes?

Close , that was thrust secondary use. There primary function was to hold handbags

Thar she blows, a battery for the life of the car perhaps

E3788UzUUAAvid6?format=jpg&name=small

• Registered Users Posts: 21,616 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

12v li-ion battery? Unkel will be happy.

Not if it's li-ion but I will be happy if it's LiFePo4 :D

• Advertisement

Some interesting trips yesterday and today tracked on Scanmytesla...

Straight motorway run, little or no wind, very little traffic, 120km/h on AP1
    Consumption was 19.1 with 2.6% Regen, AC off

On the way home I choose 80/100km route for a test and stuck to speed limits
    Consumption was 16.8 with 16.2% Regen, AC off

Then a trip around town today for the food shop, usual bits of traffic etc
    Consumption was 20.4 with 30.1% Regen, AC on

So reading between the lines the car does not seem to care too much between say 90km/h and 120km/h, the increase in consumption is more aligned to less Regen.
    Around the town with 4 short separate trips and AC it's not mad on and that's the Tesla Departure Tax I suppose

I'm seeing a lot of 18-19kWh/100km averages in the last few weeks (ideal temps). That's a lot lower than it was in winter. Very heavy right foot here though :D

I'd say on regional roads with average speed no more than 80km/h, light foot and smooth driving (but not resorting to hypermiliing) you could get about 14-15kWh/100km, so with our older (refurbished) 85 battery that were never anywhere near 85kWh in the first place (let alone usable kWh), at a push you might get 500km range

The Model S uses roughly 50% more electricity than Ioniq 28kWh, the most efficient EV of them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

I managed below 160 kWh/100 km on a 140 km trip recently due to slow drivers, few great places to overtake and not being in a hurry. The speed limit was mostly 100 but I also had to drive through a number of towns. If I had been able to keep it up I could probably have done 450 km on my fully charged 75 kWh battery.

Folks, what charge speed ye getting on the 50kW DC chargers in your S?

About 80 km/h, or 160 km/h with a Chademo adapter

Sabre Man wrote: »
    About 80 km/h, or 160 km/h with a Chademo adapter

Would you not switch the settings to kW :p

That seems incredibly slow though. Seeing as the max a Model S can do on CHAdeMO is about 45kW, you are only getting 22kW on the CCS? Or do you not have CCS and you are using the AC43 and you have the optional dual charger?

Only tested it for a few seconds when I got my CCS conversion done, to make sure it was working. Can't be 100% sure, but I think I remember I got about 45kW

• Registered Users Posts: 12,094 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Wont it roughly be a case of 125A (the max all the eCars 50kW chargers can deliver) multiplied by the voltage of the pack, which is obviously State of Charge dependent, but lets say around 375V x 125A = 46kW

I plan on testing the ccs conversion connection on my new car this week so I’ll check north then and report back.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,616 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I would usually see 45kW peak but it fluctuated between 37 at the low end and 45 at around 75% SOC on chademo

Interestingly the CCS appeared to have a different curve

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »
    Would you not switch the settings to kW :p

That seems incredibly slow though. Seeing as the max a Model S can do on CHAdeMO is about 45kW, you are only getting 22kW on the CCS? Or do you not have CCS and you are using the AC43 and you have the optional dual charger?

Only tested it for a few seconds when I got my CCS conversion done, to make sure it was working. Can't be 100% sure, but I think I remember I got about 45kW

I don't have CCS (yet) or dual chargers, only a single 11 kW onboard charger. Is yours 16 kW?

Advertisement