Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model S

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭BigAl81

unkel wrote:
    Did they have all the bits and boobs for that in stock in Sandyford?

It's now an S90 double D haha ;)

Hi,

Just out of interest, I was going to look at the sticker on the battery pack (near drivers side front wheel), but I can see it's fallen off at some stage.

Any idea is there any other way to get the info that would have been on the sticker? I belive there is a letter (A, B, D etc) that can tell you some info about your battery... or not in my case :p

Thanks,
    Al.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

BigAl81 wrote: »
    Hi,

Just out of interest, I was going to look at the sticker on the battery pack (near drivers side front wheel), but I can see it's fallen off at some stage.

Any idea is there any other way to get the info that would have been on the sticker? I belive there is a letter (A, B, D etc) that can tell you some info about your battery... or not in my case :p

Thanks,
    Al.

No, too late now, Tesla in keeping with GDPR will not provide any information about work/parts carried out under another person's ownership.
    That's why you should get an Invoice off Tesla for everything, even if covered under warranty as a paper trail is great for subsequent owners.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,053 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Any idea is there any other way to get the info that would have been on the sticker?

Not that I'm aware. Also the overwhelming majority of battery packs that needed replacing were from the earlier cars - 2014 mostly. Your car is a late 2016, so still under Tesla battery warranty for another 3.5 years. I wouldn't worry about it :D

How's the ownership experience so far?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

Hi,

Thanks,
    Al.

Alas I am in the same situation as you and haven't found another way to tell.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

slave1 wrote: »
    No, too late now, Tesla in keeping with GDPR will not provide any information about work/parts carried out under another person's ownership.
    That's why you should get an Invoice off Tesla for everything, even if covered under warranty as a paper trail is great for subsequent owners.

One good thing about the Irish SC, the consistency of the emails following works or repairs. I have an email for everything done but they won’t give me any paperwork for anything done prior to my ownership.

Door handles are Gen 3, 4G revision, I’m sure the rear boot lid has been replaced based on the letter sizing and the camera quality compared to the 161 loaner j currently have.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,635 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I think it was not replaced, Al, looking at the battery sticker i had the same issue as you, so I guessed it's been on that long that it fell off so it hasnt been replaced.

Also, the degradation I calculated of ~8% would tie in with the full kms done on the car, as well as what I'd expect based on Bjorn's video, so I'd be surprised if it had been replaced.

unkel wrote: »
    ...so still under Tesla battery warranty for another 3.5 years. I wouldn't worry about it :D

Yeah not worried about it as such, was more just out of curiosity to learn a bit more about the car.

Ownership so far is really great, I'll be doing about 600 (essential) kms this weekend so will do a full report after that :)

I'll be doing about 600 (essential) kms this weekend so will do a full report after that :)

It's a motorway muncher especially with the AP. That trip will feel like nothing. The range prediction is pretty accurate if you use satnav. Best of luck :D

• Advertisement

I found the trip planner always within +/- 1% in terms of estimated SOC in that specific car. And I was up and down to cork (700+km) a few times in the same day so I needed to rely on it. Usually rolling into Ballacolla with sub 5% on the return leg

So the car was taking a while to startup. The main screen would be on but the dash gave the press brake for 30 seconds message. Then yesterday the music system stopped working. A hard reset - four buttons - fixed.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

garo wrote: »
    So the car was taking a while to startup. The main screen would be on but the dash gave the press brake for 30 seconds message. Then yesterday the music system stopped working. A hard reset - four buttons - fixed.

I was getting this a lot before my eMMC recall.
    It’s also a sign of the car being in a deep sleep as such so may not need to worry.

Keep a record of dates and times.

garo wrote: »
    This is the beginning of the end for the MCU

Yeah as soon as I had to do a couple of hard resets in a week or two, I pushed Sandyford into changing my MCU1 daughterboard. Early signs, but get it done. It's free. You don't want to wait until the whole thing dies in a few months time. Also take off pin to drive if you have it switched on. Just in case.

ELM327 wrote: »
    Also, the degradation I calculated of ~8% would tie in with the full kms done on the car, as well as what I'd expect based on Bjorn's video, so I'd be surprised if it had been replaced.

Battery replacement are done with refurbed battery packs so degradation should be ~ the same whether on original or replacement pack.
    The battery pack is removed and sent to California where the cover it taken off, modules tested, rouge cell identified and likely bypassed if there was just one or replaced if there were a number of them.
    New cover and single use parts replaced and then that battery is now the refurb for the next replacement...
    I've calculated my pack (replaced Feb 2020) at 8% degradation

Thanks all. This was my first time doing a hard reset so will give it a bit more rope. Next time it happens I will call Sandyford. Already have LTE on the MCU1 so let's see what I get. Will also take off pin to drive.

So after about 2 weeks ownership, I think I've finally gotten used to the bigger size. Loving the car and the real bonus for me is the range and access to the Tesla Supercharger network.

Was up North at the weekend, and knowing there are 16 chargers just before the border makes for such a more relaxed experience compared to the old days of arriving into Castlebellingham on fumes late at night hoping the one ESB charger isn't broken or in use. Happy days!

Storage in the car is great, the boot is huge!! Loving having the app as well, turning on the heating in the car in advance is great when coming back from walking the dog in the cold for an hour!

One thing that surprised me is other peoples reaction when they hear I have a Tesla, I think they must think we're millionaires or something :pac: Lot's of interest and people asking to have a look etc. A lot of people I talk to are at least looking at EVs next when they switch their current car.

The Autopilot is great for the motorways, leaps and bounds ahead of the Ioniq. No phantom breaking at all about about 400kms using it. It's actually great on the A and B roads up North. They are well marked (mostly) but windy sometimes single lane with traffic, the Autopilot is great here. I did have to override it several times, at slip lanes / flyovers / where 2 lanes merge into one etc, but for the most part it's great.

Still loving the giant sunroof, pity they don't do them anymore.

The power is great too. Mostly have the wife and the dog in the car so hard to really test that out yet!

May have a look at the Y when they get a Demo in Sandyford, but loving the S now and very happy with it!

One thing is that surprised me is other peoples reaction when they hear I have a Tesla, I think they must think we're millionaires or something :pac: Lot's of interest and people asking to have a look etc. A lot of people I talk to are at least looking at EVs next when they switch their current car.

Same here.

You don't mention it, I'm sure you notice it every day though. What surprised me most is the young kids pointing at the car and shouting "Tesla!" where ever you go.

Actually, while I'm here, here's a usable battery capacity question to see what people think...

My car is a 2016 S 90D. Best I can tell it had a usable battery capacity when new of ~81 kWhs. Let's guess 10% battery degradation as the car has 200,000 kms on the clock, so maybe ~73 kWh usable to me at 100% SOC?

Ahead of a trip up North, I charged the car to 100%.

It was 5pm leaving and the temperature was 16 degrees C.

The trip was about 130kms on motorway at 120kmph, and the rest suburban / backroads / B roads.

I reset the trip meter before leaving, and the car reported 220 wh/km on average for the trip. I actually stopped at a supercharger for a test and added 3 kWhs as well!

551868.jpg

I ran the car from 100% to 4%, so if I deduct the 3 kWhs I added at the Supercharger, the car is telling me 60.4 kWh is 96% of my usable capacity if I've read that right? So a 100% usable capacity of about 63 kWh?

That seems lower than I would have expected? What do people think? Might it be...

Option A) OMG that's way too low, enjoy your new free battery from Tesla under warranty :p

Option B) Nothing to see here, high mileage car, seems about right

Option C) Something else?

Very happy with the car, and with Superchargers on my regular long trip, it doesn't make a huge difference to me, but interested to see what people think about the battery capacity?

Thanks,
    Al!

• Advertisement

Same here.

You don't mention it, I'm sure you notice it every day though. What surprised me most is the young kids pointing at the car and shouting "Tesla!" where ever you go.

Yes , I miss that!

Glad to see you like the experience, BigAl81, and also glad that you're posting about it!!

Actually, while I'm here, here's a usable battery capacity question to see what people think...

My car is a 2016 S 90D. Best I can tell it had a usable battery capacity when new of ~81 kWhs. Let's guess 10% battery degradation as the car has 200,000 kms on the clock, so maybe ~73 kWh usable to me at 100% SOC?

Ahead of a trip up North, I charged the car to 100%.

It was 5pm leaving and the temperature was 16 degrees C.

The trip was about 130kms on motorway at 120kmph, and the rest suburban / backroads / B roads.

I reset the trip meter before leaving, and the car reported 220 wh/km on average for the trip. I actually stopped at a supercharger for a test and added 3 kWhs as well!

551868.jpg

I ran the car from 100% to 4%, so if I deduct the 3 kWhs I added at the Supercharger, the car is telling me 60.4 kWh is 96% of my usable capacity if I've read that right? So a 100% usable capacity of about 63 kWh?

That seems lower than I would have expected? What do people think? Might it be...

Option A) OMG that's way too low, enjoy your new free battery from Tesla under warranty :p

Option B) Nothing to see here, high mileage car, seems about right

Very happy with the car, and with Superchargers on my regular long trip, it doesn't make a huge difference to me, but interested to see what people think about the battery capacity?

Thanks,
    Al!

I'm going to guess you were doing 120+ on that trip?
    I've done longer trips in that exact car doing 100 (and getting sub 180wh/km!) and seen above 70kWh available.
    The older S and X seem very prone to heat loss at higher speeds.

Usable capacity when new was 81kWh, there's been 4kWh taken for a buffer, so new is 77kWh. I worked out that there was 8% degradation a couple of weeks before I listed it for sale so you should still see above 70kWh available.

The only way to know for sure is to download the android app scanmytesla and plug in to the OBD as it will confirm the exact deg, the 4kWh buffer, and the anticipated available energy.

I'm going to guess you were doing 120+ on that trip?

Unfortunately not, watchful wifey keeps us at or under limits at all times :rolleyes::P The usable energy reported should be the same regardless of speed tho right? The range would go down with increased speed, but the usable energy is a constant right? Or does that vary with temperature etc?

The only way to know for sure is to download the android app scanmytesla and plug in to the OBD as it will confirm the exact deg, the 4kWh buffer, and the anticipated available energy.

Cool, thanks for the tip, I'll check that out. Read the requirements for that app... "Needs an ELM327 OBD2 bluetooth adapter" :D

Very happy with the car, it's more from a nerdy / interest point to see what the capacity is etc.

Thanks,
    Al.

This. Apparently there is still considerable available battery capacity when the range is down to 0%. Haven't tried it myself yet, but I have no difficulty making trips where the nav tells me I will have 2% left coming back home. I come home regularly with just 1% left - no range anxiety because of this

I'd like someone to give it a try though, see how much further exactly you can go :D

Unfortunately not, watchful wifey keeps us at or under limits at all times :rolleyes::P The usable energy reported should be the same regardless of speed tho right? The range would go down with increased speed, but the usable energy is a constant right? Or does that vary with temperature etc?

Cool, thanks for the tip, I'll check that out. Read the requirements for that app... "Needs an ELM327 OBD2 bluetooth adapter" :D

Very happy with the car, it's more from a nerdy / interest point to see what the capacity is etc.

Thanks,
    Al.

It should be a constant but it isnt. There's heat loss. Which squares with speed (not exactly, that's drag, but you get my drift).
    If you have 10kWh of energy in the battery, 9.2kWh may make it to the propulsion of the wheels in ideal conditions. It could be below 8.8 if you are doing 120 km/h, and substantially less at vmax.

This. Apparently there is still considerable available battery capacity when the range is down to 0%. Haven't tried it myself yet, but I have no difficulty making trips where the nav tells me I will have 2% left coming back home. I come home regularly with just 1% left - no range anxiety because of this

I'd like someone to give it a try though, see how much further exactly you can go :D

Worth noting, that, except for one long trip to cork, the car has been between 50 and 80% SOC for months. I suspect the car BMS has no idea where 0 actually is and is being super cautious. I would hazard a guess that at least another 6kWh was available.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

I think you'd still have to charge to 100% & drive it down to near 0% at 90km/h on a warmish day, to get the most acurate picture.
    That's my experience with scanmytesla on my Model 3 anyway, though I've been accused of being an anorak before...so there's that :D.

Or........don't worry about it, there's nothing you can do about it anyway & you'll never be stuck given Castlebellingham is on your regular route.

Well wear BTW (BigAl81) :).

There's two ports in our generation Tesla, the one visible to us is pure US compliance which states there must be an OBD within two feet of the steering wheel, all it has is basic power and does not "talk" to the car.

The hidden one is the one you'll need for likes of scanmytesla and it's not standard OBD2 size, it's a specific 12 pin connector Tesla CAN Diagnostic harness.
    Because of this you need to buy a converter (I've one ordered from Aliexpress) and also locate this second hidden port, for me it's below the MCU screen.

I'll let ye know how I get on when I get my hands on it.

PS Another way to estimate range is to simply see your SOC before a long charging session (or Supercharge) and then note your SOC after charging, this make extrapolation of available battery capacity easy, make sure no AC on for this session.
    In my case, 8% in 5 year old, v happy with that as our generation cars do not have as severe early years degradation as the 3's and also taper off quite quickly so I'd say we're looking at 1% a year....time will tell

slave1 wrote: »
    There's two ports in our generation Tesla, the one visible to us is pure US compliance which states there must be an OBD within two feet of the steering wheel, all it has is basic power and does not "talk" to the car.

PS this is the easiest dashcam power access point, if you have the sunroof then you don't have an available hook up above the rear view mirror

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭BobbyBingo

This. Apparently there is still considerable available battery capacity when the range is down to 0%. :D

I got caught short on a trip down the N3 late one night in 2019. I did the last 20kms on 0% (with everything clenched). Never was I so grateful to see a free ESB charger in Blanch in all my life..

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the replies.

Posted from my Tesla browser while waiting in line for drive thru coffee ;)

Advertisement