Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf coverage/commentator discussion thread!! Mod note #12

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,546 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

I'm a huge fan of Lee Westwood but for the commentators to refer to him as "one of the favourites" is a bit of a stretch

Also I'm already sick of hearing about Rahm's child

• Registered Users Posts: 15,832 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I'm a huge fan of Lee Westwood but for the commentators to refer to him as "one of the favourites" is a bit of a stretch

Also I'm already sick of hearing about Rahm's child

Have you not been watching any golf lately?
    Lee is playing some of his best ever golf and contending at the business end of big events.

Switched on the golf for 45 mins there at lunch. There were about 15 players out on the course at that stage, was excited to try get a couple of uninterrupted holes in before heading back to work.

In that time they showed Nicklaus and Player teeing off and Poulter's finishing strokes on first two holes. That was it. The rest was rubbish in the studio, them promoting the fact they've got unrivaled coverage and the usual talking heads talking nonsense.

FFS, Sky, you can do all that while showing the lads swinging clubs, surely? What's the point of beginning your broadcast if you're not gonna show any golf? So frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,343 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Switched on the golf for 45 mins there at lunch. There were about 15 players out on the course at that stage, was excited to try get a couple of uninterrupted holes in before heading back to work.

In that time they showed Nicklaus and Player teeing off and Poulter's finishing strokes on first two holes. That was it. The rest was rubbish in the studio, them promoting the fact they've got unrivaled coverage and the usual talking heads talking nonsense.

FFS, Sky, you can do all that while showing the lads swinging clubs, surely? What's the point of beginning your broadcast if you're not gonna show any golf? So frustrating.

In fairness (as been mentioned umpteen times over the years), it's not Sky's fault.

Seve OB wrote: »
    Have you not been watching any golf lately?
    Lee is playing some of his best ever golf and contending at the business end of big events.

I'm well aware

My point stands. It's a stretch to call him one of the favourites i.e. up there with DJ, Thomas and Spieth as the most likely people to win it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,832 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I'm well aware

My point stands. It's a stretch to call him one of the favourites i.e. up there with DJ, Thomas and Spieth as the most likely people to win it.

My point stands because Lee has shown form recently. ;)

Seve OB wrote: »
    My point stands because Lee has shown form recently. ;)

Don't get me wrong, I'd absolutely love for him to win!!

I'm pleasantly surprised that they're showing shots here and there outside the featured groups

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

"It's a great big jigsaw Augusta National.. and you have to stay in the middle of that puzzle"

What.

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    "It's a great big jigsaw Augusta National.. and you have to stay in the middle of that puzzle"

What.

Please say McGinley said that, please.

James Ewen Murray I think

• Advertisement

Ah unfortunate. Was a very McGinley thing to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,868 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Nice to have Butch in the box, but he's clearly watching play through one eye and I think his feed also seems to be behind the pictures?

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭A.Partridge

Butch is a nice guy...but...everything is just so inneresting.

"Well, Ewen, it's going to be inneresting to see what happens over the next 18 holes."

"Whoa, did you see that? He'll have an inneresting next shot, for sure"..etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

That was Radar Riley. Good on the course. Overly excitable in the booth, talks some gibberish.

That was Radar Riley. Good on the course. Overly excitable in the booth, talks some gibberish.
    ha, I liteterally googled scottish golf commentator and thats the name it threw up. Wasn't Radar, had a scottish accent i'm sure.

ha, I liteterally googled scottish golf commentator and thats the name it threw up. Wasn't Radar, had a scottish accent i'm sure.

Andrew Coulthard?

Andrew Coulthard?
    Yeah I think it was him after listening to him on youtube unless theres another deep voiced scottish guy on there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

99pc sure it was Riley.

Looks like they have 8k cameras next to some of the greens. They're class

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭getoffthepot

Can’t listen to Butch. Heard it all before. Cringe fest

• Advertisement

Do they seriously think we want to watch a 5 minute interview about Rahm's child? Ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Do they seriously think we want to watch a 5 minute interview about Rahm's child? Ffs

theyve only mentioned it every time he was on screen

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Mac_Lad71

Cara Banks is great..until she speaks

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Can’t listen to Butch. Heard it all before. Cringe fest

He's well passed his best

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭ClutchIt

Not sky's fault. They only allowed show all the action from 8pm on Thurs and Fri. Earlier at weekend

Butch is still a good 3 or 4 seconds out of sync with the pictures. It was the same yesterday. Surely they should've been able to fix it by now? It's a bit ridiculous at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Lemon Davis lll

Anyone having issues streaming from eir sport app (Android) to a chromecast?

All other eir channels stream without difficulty.

Butch is still a good 3 or 4 seconds out of sync with the pictures. It was the same yesterday. Surely they should've been able to fix it by now? It's a bit ridiculous at this stage.

I wonder if he's watching from home or something, sounds like it! Or else there's a lag between his one good eye and his mouth :P

I still prefer Butch to any of the rest of these guys though, but the lag is annoying

I wonder if he's watching from home or something, sounds like it! Or else there's a lag between his one good eye and his mouth :P

I still prefer Butch to any of the rest of these guys though, but the lag is annoying

Agreed, I absolutely love Butch. It's completely out of his hands alright I'd say, don't think Butch is a man for the technology :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭costacorta

Agreed, I absolutely love Butch. It's completely out of his hands alright I'd say, don't think Butch is a man for the technology :pac:

Listening to him earlier!!!
    ThatABoy Rosie
    ThatABoy Tommy

Advertisement